Ohio State+275+280+240+230+300
USC+1500+1400+1600+1600+2000
Clemson+1600+1200+1500+1600+2000
Michigan+2500+2500+2200+3000+2800
Penn State+7000+6000+7000+8000+6600
Tennessee+7000+6000+6000+8000+8000
Utah+8000+7500+5000+6000+10000
Minnesota+10000+10000+12000+10000+10000

You don't care about the Rose Bowl as much as some posters here. For some of us the Rose Bowl is the thing we've been aspiring for as a fan, and thus it doesn't have anything to do with settling for less. The changing landscape of postseason college football hasn't changed my, or apparently some other fan's, desire to see the team in Pasadena for the first time in our lifetimes.
Pre-playoffs winning the Big Ten and going to the Rose Bowl was the pinnacle. You could even win a National Title doing that ... which we did.

Now the National Title is won through the playoffs. A new pinnacle.

Even within the BCS era the orange bowl doesn't hold a candle to the Rose Bowl for me. Those mountains, that grass, that field painting, the parade, etc. It is just the best bowl game of them all and another aspect is it is always played at the same time of day and that grows its traditional feel.

If the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl, a lot of people would be shocked at the number of people from MN that would be clamoring for tickets.
There is a reason they call it "The Gand daddy of them all"

It has been my dream for a long time to see the Gophs play in the Rowl Bowl. Not only for the pageantry surrounding that game, but also because it meant that the Gophs won a BG10 championship. Nowadays, it's more likely the Gophs make the Rose Bowl as a second place team than a first place team, so its importance to me has declined. Personally, I'd rather see the Gophs play in the Fiesta, Orange, Cotton or Peach bowls as conference champs in a first round CFP game than the Rose Bowl as the 2nd place team. That's just me.

Regardless, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll put this dream in a similar category as winning the lottery for a few more weeks.
I agree with all of this. The Rose Bowl WAS the most important goal for a team and their fans. That changed in 1998 when the BCS was formed, since the previous systems (Bowl Alliance and Bowl Coalition) excluded the Big Ten and Pac-10. Once those two conferences were brought under the umbrella, the BCS (and now the CFP) championship should have been the ultimate goal.

We need to change the name of this forum if no one here actually cares about playing for National Titles.
I agree with you. I would love to win the big ten and play for a natty. However, the more likely scenario is losing the B10 championship and getting a NY6 bid. That being said I think we all would like to go to the rose bowl. I am worried that even if we go 11-1 or 12-0 that they will still select michigan or penn state to go instead of us. Therefore, I am reluctantly rooting for Iowa this week against michigan. If we want to make it to the rose bowl we need michigan and penn state to have 2 loses a piece in order to buff our chances. I hate iowa as much as the next person but getting our flowers at the end of the season is more important. I am a 3rd gen student and having the opportunity to go with my dad and grandpa to pasadena would be amazing.

First, a ittle history:
Big 10 1st contracted with Pac schools for conf champs to play in the Rose Bowl in 1945 (1st game to be played in 1947). Before that, no Big 10 team other than MI in 1902 or tOSU in 1927 played in a bowl game. From 1947 until 1975, Big 10 conference would only allow their championship school to play in the Rose Bowl. No other team was allowed to play post season. So up until the playoff system was enacted in 1998, the Rose Bowl was the highest mountain peak for Big 10 schools. That's 50 years of the R B being the best.

My 1st Gopher game was in 1959, and I still remember how thrilling it was to have the Gophers playing in the R B in back to back years. Fast forward about 10 years where I made a promise to myself that if Minn went to the R B, I would attend the game. I have been waiting and so looking forward for that opportunity for 60 FREAKIN' YEARS! I will be so elated if the Gophers were to to make the CFP, but the memories of all the years I have been anxiously awaiting a NYD game in Pasadena are haunting.

CONCLUSION:
While I understand how people find R B preferrence over a chance to play for the National Championship at best odd, you all need to take a step back, give a little leeway in you criticisms, and appreciate the desires of very long time Gopher fans.

First, a ittle history:
Big 10 1st contracted with Pac schools for conf champs to play in the Rose Bowl in 1945 (1st game to be played in 1947). Before that, no Big 10 team other than MI in 1902 or tOSU in 1927 played in a bowl game. From 1947 until 1975, Big 10 conference would only allow their championship school to play in the Rose Bowl. No other team was allowed to play post season. So up until the playoff system was enacted in 1998, the Rose Bowl was the highest mountain peak for Big 10 schools. That's 50 years of the R B being the best.

My 1st Gopher game was in 1959, and I still remember how thrilling it was to have the Gophers playing in the R B in back to back years. Fast forward about 10 years where I made a promise to myself that if Minn went to the R B, I would attend the game. I have been waiting and so looking forward for that opportunity for 60 FREAKIN' YEARS! I will be so elated if the Gophers were to to make the CFP, but the memories of all the years I have been anxiously awaiting a NYD game in Pasadena are haunting.

CONCLUSION:
While I understand how people find R B preferrence over a chance to play for the National Championship at best odd, you all need to take a step back, give a little leeway in you criticisms, and appreciate the desires of very long time Gopher fans.
Amen brother!

All well and good. To each their own.

I'd rather the Rose Bowl than the CFP.

Easy choice for me.
If you pick the Rose Bowl over CFP, you are also likely accepting a L in the Big Ten Championship and not winning the league.

Rose Bowl typically is now the prize for the conference runner-up, or an imperfect (2+ loss) champion. The goal every year is to win the Big Ten Conference and then see what comes next. The Rose Bowl isn't so much more special than another bowl game. It's special because it historically (but not presently) represents winning the Big Ten.

had this thought the other day -- as long as we're spinning out scenarios:

let's say the Gophs run the table in the regular season, go 12-0 and lose the B1G title game to OSU.

Does a 12-1 Gopher team make the CFP?

I could see a scenario where the Gophs go 12-1 and win up as the #5 team in the final rankings.

in that scenario, would fans be upset at going to the Rose Bowl - because they think the Gophers deserved to be in the CFP?

that would be the most Gopher thing ever - make it back to the Rose Bowl and still be upset......

In this scenario, I suspect it’s all dependent on how the B1G championship game progressed. If 12-0 OSU (or Michigan) were to beat the 12-0 Gophers in five OT, for example, then yeah, the Gophers might very well find themselves in the playoffs.

If the game ended up like last year’s Michigan-Iowa farce, then no, not a chance.

It's not an either or for me. I'd love the Gophers to win a Natty. I'd prefer they win a Natty than a Rose Bowl this year.

But when it comes to an experience, I'd just personally rather travel to a Rose Bowl. A National title game feels like a Super Bowl to me. Sterile and I'd rather watch it on TV. The accolade is better but the in person experience feels meh. Granted, I haven't been to either.

So while I'm rooting for the Gophers to win every game and finish the season in Inglewood, I'm not gonna be chomping at the bit to get on a plane for some dollar store Super Bowl. I'll cheer us on to hoist the trophy from the comfort of my couch.

Either one is a win-win.

I'm telling you guys the Gophers will be in Pasadena. My kids are marching in the Rose Parade. We already have our trip booked and tickets bought. All the disappointment through the years has led to this. It's fate. The Gophers will be in the Rose Bowl on January 2, 2023, and I will attend.

had this thought the other day -- as long as we're spinning out scenarios:

let's say the Gophs run the table in the regular season, go 12-0 and lose the B1G title game to OSU.

Does a 12-1 Gopher team make the CFP?

I could see a scenario where the Gophs go 12-1 and win up as the #5 team in the final rankings.

in that scenario, would fans be upset at going to the Rose Bowl - because they think the Gophers deserved to be in the CFP?

that would be the most Gopher thing ever - make it back to the Rose Bowl and still be upset......
What’ll really suck is when the gophers in that scenario end up #6 behind the east #2 who is ranked 5 and we play in the cotton bowl against BYU

What’ll really suck is when the gophers in that scenario end up #6 behind the east #2 who is ranked 5 and we play in the cotton bowl against BYU

The only way BYU is going to a NY6 bowl is if they beat Arkansas (which I'd say is unlikely) and win out.

Never understood this sentiment. Playing for championships should be the goal of every P5 school each year. I wanna see how the program measures up against a Clemson or Bama.
It has to be a nostalgia thing. There are people who don't think there should be a college football playoff either and we should have just continued with the old bowl system - because tradition.

As has been mentioned, this is such a Minnesota thing. Do you think fans of any other P5 team would say "oh, we don't want to play for a championship - we'd rather play in a meaningless exhibition game because it's in a cool setting and used to mean more than it does now."

If MN goes 12-1 there is no way they are not in the Rose Bowl or CFP. Who would go in front of them? Michigan would have to win out and lose a close game to OSU would be about the only way…

It has to be a nostalgia thing. There are people who don't think there should be a college football playoff either and we should have just continued with the old bowl system - because tradition.

As has been mentioned, this is such a Minnesota thing. Do you think fans of any other P5 team would say "oh, we don't want to play for a championship - we'd rather play in a meaningless exhibition game because it's in a cool setting and used to mean more than it does now."

The college football playoff sucks IMHO. Football isn't basketball and it was better when it wasn't trying to be.

I have no interest in the "SEC-Big Ten Invitational" it does very little for me. If the Gophers somehow make it I will then watch it and turn it off when they are done and whether they win or lose I will still not care. (honestly, if Alabama didn't win all the time I am not sure I would know who wins...my dad loves Bama) It feels fake...and that won't change in my eyes. I have no problem being in the minority about that and it has zero to do with being a "Minnesota Thing" which is both ridiculous and rather insulting. I think for myself and I am about as far away from the prototypical Minnesota fan as you can.

I guess I don't get why some fans are so upset that people think differently on the subject. I don't care if you agree with me I appreciate your opinion no matter what. You guys sound like a a bunch of people I know who throw a hissy fit every time I tell them I haven't watched Ted Lasso and don't plan to. You would think I was a terrorist ;)

The college football playoff sucks IMHO. Football isn't basketball and it was better when it wasn't trying to be.

I have no interest in the "SEC-Big Ten Invitational" it does very little for me. If the Gophers somehow make it I will then watch it and turn it off when they are done and whether they win or lose I will still not care. (honestly, if Alabama didn't win all the time I am not sure I would know who wins...my dad loves Bama) It feels fake...and that won't change in my eyes. I have no problem being in the minority about that and it has zero to do with being a "Minnesota Thing" which is both ridiculous and rather insulting. I think for myself and I am about as far away from the prototypical Minnesota fan as you can.

I guess I don't get why some fans are so upset that people think differently on the subject. I don't care if you agree with me I appreciate your opinion no matter what. You guys sound like a a bunch of people I know who throw a hissy fit every time I tell them I haven't watched Ted Lasso and don't plan to. You would think I was a terrorist ;)
Well, I get the same thing when I tell people I haven't watched Ted Lasso. :)

But as a lifelong Minnesotan for 49 years since birth, I get tired of the "good enough" attitude of so many fans in this state. The goal is to win. There is no other reason to play the game. (and the first year I remember being a Gopher fan was in the Joe Salem years, so I've been a fan through basically the worst eras of this team.)

I agree with you. I would love to win the big ten and play for a natty. However, the more likely scenario is losing the B10 championship and getting a NY6 bid. That being said I think we all would like to go to the rose bowl. I am worried that even if we go 11-1 or 12-0 that they will still select michigan or penn state to go instead of us. Therefore, I am reluctantly rooting for Iowa this week against michigan. If we want to make it to the rose bowl we need michigan and penn state to have 2 loses a piece in order to buff our chances. I hate iowa as much as the next person but getting our flowers at the end of the season is more important. I am a 3rd gen student and having the opportunity to go with my dad and grandpa to pasadena would be amazing!
I'm 100% certain a 12-1 Gopher team will be picked over a 11-1 Michigan or PSU! People need to get over the Chicken Little type thinking! It's a bit more iffy if they are 11-2!

Just keep winning and the bowls will take care of themselves. I've been saying for some time that one of these years it will be our turn to catch lightening in a bottle. The stars might align this year, you just never know. Take them one week at a time and go into Happy Valley undefeated (this is my hope) and THEN let's look at the bowl projections. Illinois actually scares the heck out of me. Maybe last year's loss will have a good effect on the Gophers this year. No looking past anybody.

You win all games in front of you and you get into the playoff. That's the goal. but calling Bowl games "meaningless exhibitions" is flat out wrong.

All the results count in a team's regular season record. Including players stats and more importantly won/loss records.

If they didn't Fleck's record for his Bowl seasons here would be:

'18 - 6-6
'19 - 10-2
'21 - 8-4

Though his 2016 Western Michigan team would have been undefeated at 13-0. By the way a non-playoff season for him.

Last edited:

If you pick the Rose Bowl over CFP, you are also likely accepting a L in the Big Ten Championship and not winning the league.

Rose Bowl typically is now the prize for the conference runner-up, or an imperfect (2+ loss) champion. The goal every year is to win the Big Ten Conference and then see what comes next. The Rose Bowl isn't so much more special than another bowl game. It's special because it historically (but not presently) represents winning the Big Ten.

Right. Doesn't make any sense. You'd prefer the team to lose the Big Ten Championship game to go to the Rose Bowl?

Top Bottom