2021 Other Bowl Games Thread

How many years will Kiffin be at Ole Miss? I’d set the over/under at 4 years.

His longest tenure anywhere is 5 years as an assistant at USC.

For himself. His teammates. His coaches. His university. Fans. He's a member of a team. Play the season.

He's still getting his scholarship money, isn't he?
For a lot of these guys who opt out - they aren't going back to school. None of that matters except the future money.

I can't think of a way to completely prevent opting out. You could say a player has to pay back the value of the scholarship, but that could be paid under the table by a booster, or built into their NFL signing bonus.

Let us look at a non-sports scenario.

Let's say someone is a brilliant mathematician. Like Stephen Hawking brilliant. They have a full academic ride to MIT. They get a multimillion dollar offer from GiantTech Company. But they have to leave school now, prior to graduation. Would they do it? I think most would. Because college is a means to an end for the mathematician, as it is for the NFL prospect. In neither case, do they owe anything more to the school.

Google - Ifro Ekpe-Olumu Insurance Payout.
He was paid $3,000,000 on Loss of Value policy.
Ed Chester, Marcus Lattimore LOV compensation - both over $1,000,000. Lattimore’s was $1.7 million I believe.
So 3 instances in 20 years? Very very hard to get paid. Lloyds has more cases of unfair denials than they do paying.

To add to that, I don't think we will see guys leaving mid season very often. But I could see a future where guys will leave their teams when they are eliminated from the possibility of a conference championship. And this is a reason why we will see more and more expansion of the playoffs as the years go on until we end up with something like the FCS.

Players want a goal. They want to play for something meaningful. If the only thing meaningful is their draft prospects, then that will be the focus. But if they are playing for a championship, that might mean more (not to use the SEC commercial motto). But I think we are seeing that playing in a bowl game, no matter the tradition of that game, is not sufficient to keep guys from opting out.

I think context matters IMO. If you’re Purdue playing in the Music City Bowl, I guess I don’t have as much of a problem with Karlaftis and Bell opting out. I don’t like it, but it’s the Music City Bowl. I think OSU players sitting out of the Rose Bowl and Pickett sitting out the Peach Bowl for a 10th ranked team (and a very big deal for a program like Pitt) are much worse.
You think abandoning your teammates is OK if the player doesn't think the bowl game is worthy of his contribution? This is another of the things now being accepted that are spoiling college football.

Google - Ifro Ekpe-Olumu Insurance Payout.
He was paid $3,000,000 on Loss of Value policy.
Ed Chester, Marcus Lattimore LOV compensation - both over $1,000,000. Lattimore’s was $1.7 million I believe.
Read this. Ekpe-Olumu policy doesn’t exist anymore and likely never will again. The company fucked out.

I’ve found 3 instances. More lawsuits against Lloyd’s than payments made
Lloyd's cracked down big time on payouts due to some sketchy claims by professional wrestlers over the years, including MN natives Curt Hennig and Rick Rude. They've tightened up what they will and will not insure in the years since.

You think abandoning your teammates is OK if the player doesn't think the bowl game is worthy of his contribution? This is another of the things now being accepted that are spoiling college football.
Start fixing it by getting rid of the abomination that is the CFP.

I don’t like any of them. But I have degrees of outrage. OSU opt-outs in the Rose Bowl > Purdue opt-outs in the Music City Bowl.

Some opt-outs won’t affect your draft position, but there is also a boost you may see from playing. If Karlaftis plays and is dominant on a national stage (especially when many probably never watched a Purdue game all year) he may boost his stock. Recency Bias is definitely a thing, and many basketball players have parlayed big NCAA tournaments into lucrative NBA rookie contracts.

Start fixing it by getting rid of the abomination that is the CFP.
That cat is way out of the bag, and you know that. It's only going to expand.

I don’t like any of them. But I have degrees of outrage. OSU opt-outs in the Rose Bowl > Purdue opt-outs in the Music City Bowl.

Some opt-outs won’t affect your draft position, but there is also a boost you may see from playing. If Karlaftis plays and is dominant on a national stage (especially when many probably never watched a Purdue game all year) he may boost his stock. Recency Bias is definitely a thing, and many basketball players have parlayed big NCAA tournaments into lucrative NBA rookie contracts.
You make a really good point on recency bias, and that could absolutely help some players.

But on your first point. To the high draft pick looking at big money. It doesn't matter if it's the Boca Raton bowl or the Rose Bowl, It's just a post season exhibition that could risk millions of future dollars.

I get that the beauty of college football is the tradition and the bowls etc. But those of you complaining about guys opting out because of their team and obligation to their university are old school and naive. I've said it many times - it's a big time form of entertainment - a billion dollar corrupt and sleazy industry, and these players are just replaceable cogs in the system. To tell them they should risk life changing money for the good of the team and tradition etc. - no way - they should be looking out for themselves.

A while? SEC or Big Ten head coach is a destination job. I think he's matured and will stick around.

Watched the Rose Bowl second half on delay and no CFP game can top that in my opinion. CFP was created to fix a problem that didn’t exist. It’s right up there with Ethanol as things that should go away but never will.

It’s a good question. I could see him sticking around there for a while.

it’s a pretty good fit for him I think. High ceiling but only medium expectations.

then again if he was named the head coach of another school tomorrow it wouldn’t surprise me

It’s a good question. I could see him sticking around there for a while.

it’s a pretty good fit for him I think. High ceiling but only medium expectations.

then again if he was named the head coach of another school tomorrow it wouldn’t surprise me
Rumor was he really wanted the Miami job that went to Cristobal. Which tells me he just wanted to live in Miami, because that is in no way a better job than Ole Miss.

And as for the Sugar Bowl - I should really hate SEC teams, but I put Baylor in the pit of hatred with Iowa and Wisconsin and UND hockey.

Rumor was he really wanted the Miami job that went to Cristobal. Which tells me he just wanted to live in Miami, because that is in no way a better job than Ole Miss.
I didn’t hear that rumor but literally almost typed that I could see him moving to a random ass job like Miami, Florida state, UCLA, or Georgia Tech

Somewhere that is decent to live, an easier path to a conference title, in fertile recruiting territory

He doesn’t strike me as a guy who wants to go back to a USC or TN level of pressure

Because our defense gave up 10 points on their first two drives and their defense is good enough to play with a lead
And because late in the game we had an Iowa receiver wrapped up by two tacklers behind the LoS, and he somehow squirmed out and ran 35 or 40 yards for a TD. By offensive statistical measures, we kicked Iowa’s butt. Actually, Iowa was the one game that our defense let us down a bit, allowing multiple explosive plays for TDs.

And because late in the game we had an Iowa receiver wrapped up by two tacklers behind the LoS, and he somehow squirmed out and ran 35 or 40 yards for a TD. By offensive statistical measures, we kicked Iowa’s butt. Actually, Iowa was the one game that our defense let us down a bit, allowing multiple explosive plays for TDs.
Yeah

plus offense not good enough to make up for it by getting red zone touchdowns

And as for the Sugar Bowl - I should really hate SEC teams, but I put Baylor in the pit of hatred with Iowa and Wisconsin and UND hockey.
Baylor has to be the most batshit crazy athletic department ever. Home of men's and women's basketball champions, Heisman winners, absurd offenses...and homicides, conspiracies, rapes, and plenty of 0-12 and dead last teams.

Baylor has to be the most batshit crazy athletic department ever. Home of men's and women's basketball champions, Heisman winners, absurd offenses...and homicides, conspiracies, rapes, and plenty of 0-12 and dead last teams.
But remember, they're all good God-fearing types at Baylor.

The joys of being a private institution in Texas. Nobody is really looking into your business, so you can get away with just about anything.

Top Bottom