2021 Other Bowl Games Thread

Baylor has to be the most batshit crazy athletic department ever. Home of men's and women's basketball champions, Heisman winners, absurd offenses...and homicides, conspiracies, rapes, and plenty of 0-12 and dead last teams.
I recall an interview with one of Baylor’s investigators who was tasked with investigating reported violations by students. She said when she took the job she thought she wouldn’t have much to do “because it was a Christian school”.

The scale of absurdity at Baylor knows no bounds.

I fell asleep watching the Sugar Bowl when the game was tied. When I woke up I went to the ESPN app to see who won.

There I was, on New Years Day and there was nothing on the “home” screen to tell me who won the sugar bowl. There were video links to stories about Ohio State’s win, despriptions of Ohio State’s win, and even a link to the Winter Classic results. But, the only story related to the Sugar Bowl was a headline link about the Ole Miss QB getting hurt.

I took it all as standard operating procedure for ESPN as a reaction to an SEC loss. I literally began assuming BAYLOR won because that is the only explanation for ESECPN burying the game results. I had to go a couple levels in, to the general scores/results area for NCAA football in the app to confirm my assumption. They don’t even try to hide their SEC relationship anymore.

Baylor has to be the most batshit crazy athletic department ever. Home of men's and women's basketball champions, Heisman winners, absurd offenses...and homicides, conspiracies, rapes, and plenty of 0-12 and dead last
With a moral compass like Kenneth Starr at the helm you can’t go wrong - was Baylor’s prez form 2010-2016 and is famous for being the “Independent” Prosecutor for the Clinton witch-hunt, err impeachment. The irony of those juxtapositions is a prime example of, truth being stranger than fiction,

Last edited:

I don’t like any of them. But I have degrees of outrage. OSU opt-outs in the Rose Bowl > Purdue opt-outs in the Music City Bowl.

Some opt-outs won’t affect your draft position, but there is also a boost you may see from playing. If Karlaftis plays and is dominant on a national stage (especially when many probably never watched a Purdue game all year) he may boost his stock. Recency Bias is definitely a thing, and many basketball players have parlayed big NCAA tournaments into lucrative NBA rookie contracts.
Napier from UConn’s mythical run to the buckets championship when Ollie was the coach parlayed into some first round guaranteed dough - he was projected as a second round prior to March Madness.

Last edited:

You make a really good point on recency bias, and that could absolutely help some players.

But on your first point. To the high draft pick looking at big money. It doesn't matter if it's the Boca Raton bowl or the Rose Bowl, It's just a post season exhibition that could risk millions of future dollars.

I get that the beauty of college football is the tradition and the bowls etc. But those of you complaining about guys opting out because of their team and obligation to their university are old school and naive. it's a big time form of entertainment - a billion dollar corrupt and sleazy industry, and these players are just replaceable cogs in the system. To tell them they should risk life changing money for the good of the team and tradition etc. - no way - they should be looking out for themselves.

I'm guilty of being old school, for sure. Not naive, however. I understand the motivation. It just saddens me.

Rumor was he really wanted the Miami job that went to Cristobal. Which tells me he just wanted to live in Miami, because that is in no way a better job than Ole Miss.
The problem with Ole Miss is you have Bama in your division, plus Oxford isn't actually glamorous, save the female student population.
If the SEC goes to 4 pods, the possible alignment speculated on had Ole Miss, Miss State, Bama and Auburn in 1 pod. Other option was Ole Miss and MSU with LSU and Ark and the TN schools with Bama and Auburn.

Last edited:

I hope that's the case. I don't like to see guys get seriously hurt. Nobody should.
I also hope those Ole Miss boosters gave him truckloads of cash under the table in case this does affect him financially.
How did he become a potential high draft pick? Who developed his potential? Who allowed him to showcase his talent?

For a lot of these guys who opt out - they aren't going back to school. None of that matters except the future money.

I can't think of a way to completely prevent opting out. You could say a player has to pay back the value of the scholarship, but that could be paid under the table by a booster, or built into their NFL signing bonus.

Let us look at a non-sports scenario.

Let's say someone is a brilliant mathematician. Like Stephen Hawking brilliant. They have a full academic ride to MIT. They get a multimillion dollar offer from GiantTech Company. But they have to leave school now, prior to graduation. Would they do it? I think most would. Because college is a means to an end for the mathematician, as it is for the NFL prospect. In neither case, do they owe anything more to the school.
Not a good example. Giant tech companies hire only degreed people. Brilliant students do not quit before completing degree. They are most apt to get advanced degrees.

You make a really good point on recency bias, and that could absolutely help some players.

But on your first point. To the high draft pick looking at big money. It doesn't matter if it's the Boca Raton bowl or the Rose Bowl, It's just a post season exhibition that could risk millions of future dollars.

I get that the beauty of college football is the tradition and the bowls etc. But those of you complaining about guys opting out because of their team and obligation to their university are old school and naive. I've said it many times - it's a big time form of entertainment - a billion dollar corrupt and sleazy industry, and these players are just replaceable cogs in the system. To tell them they should risk life changing money for the good of the team and tradition etc. - no way - they should be looking out for themselves.
In recruiting does Fleck consider the character trait: 1) likely to be strong team guy vs 2) likely to be most concerned with looking out for himself?

I didn’t hear that rumor but literally almost typed that I could see him moving to a random ass job like Miami, Florida state, UCLA, or Georgia Tech

Somewhere that is decent to live, an easier path to a conference title, in fertile recruiting territory

He doesn’t strike me as a guy who wants to go back to a USC or TN level of pressure
UCLA offers him a decent place to live? LOL. You think he wants to commute from Utah?

“Offensive Genius Lane Kiffin” gets his team to score 7 points in their biggest game of the year.

“Offensive Genius Lane Kiffin” loses to a team whose QB goes 7/17 for 40 yards.

That Lane Kiffin, he’s a big timer. An exceptional QB and exceptional D coordinator sure can make a coach look good.

With a moral compass like Kenneth Starr at the helm you can’t go wrong - was Baylor’s prez form 2010-2016 and is famous for being the “Independent” Prosecutor for the Clinton witch-hunt, err impeachment. The irony of those juxtapositions is a prime example of, truth being stranger than fiction,
If only they would name either Bill or Hillary Clinton to the helm to restore moral rectitude.

“Offensive Genius Lane Kiffin” gets his team to score 7 points in their biggest game of the year.

“Offensive Genius Lane Kiffin” loses to a team whose QB goes 7/17 for 40 yards.

That Lane Kiffin, he’s a big timer. An exceptional QB and exceptional D coordinator sure can make a coach look good.
Well when you lose your Heisman Trophy finalist QB in the first quarter and you are stuck playing a true freshman QB as the backup I don’t care who you are playing and how big of a genius coach you are points are going to be hard to come by. Granted I was happy to see Baylor win but it was a little bit different than expected.

Which college team does Kirk Cousins play for?

So guys need to be "good" teammates in college....when they aren't getting paid (or getting paid little). But multi-million dollar pro athletes don't need to be good teammates?

While I agree that sitting out is a bad look....and sucks for the rest of the team....you can't possibly say that these guys trying to make sure they don't get injured and hurt their draft prospects are bad teammates.....and turn around and defend Cousins for not getting the vaccine. Team over individual. That's what you said.

Even though dakota is a vax truther.....I'm sure that he is/was angry that Kirk refused the vaccine. It's more about the team.....not the individual......I'm told.
You seem committed to proving yourself a big-mouthed moron. You just can't help it.

I chose to be vaccinated long before you were. Boosted too. Recommend it for older folks especially and the grossly obese. That you by chance?

Unfortunately we are finding the experimental vaccines are of limited effectiveness. That's disappointing.

With respect to Cousins I couldn't care less if he plays today or ever. Same for the shambles known as the Vikings.

So guys need to be "good" teammates in college....when they aren't getting paid (or getting paid little). But multi-million dollar pro athletes don't need to be good teammates?

While I agree that sitting out is a bad look....and sucks for the rest of the team....you can't possibly say that these guys trying to make sure they don't get injured and hurt their draft prospects are bad teammates.....and turn around and defend Cousins for not getting the vaccine. Team over individual. That's what you said.
Read my post again. College. Pro teams are transitory. New guys each year. It's strictly a business. Is Lebron James a good teammate?

Not a good example. Giant tech companies hire only degreed people. Brilliant students do not quit before completing degree. They are most apt to get advanced degrees.
Bill Gates and many other successful entrepreneurs would disagree with you,

You seem committed to proving yourself a big-mouthed moron. You just can't help it.

I chose to be vaccinated long before you were. Boosted too. Recommend it for older folks especially and the grossly obese. That you by chance?

Unfortunately we are finding the experimental vaccines are of limited effectiveness. That's disappointing.

With respect to Cousins I couldn't care less if he plays today or ever. Same for the shambles known as the Vikings.

"Experimental" "Limited Effectiveness". You were dunked on for those lazy claims in the last thread....and continue to push that crap. You are the only big-mouthed moron here.

And then to follow it up by refusing to admit that Cousins is a "bad" teammate for refusing the vaccine? Just smashes your argument that college kids going into the draft are bad teammates for sitting out. Can't whine about the team being more important than the individual....just to turn around and deny it when it's convenient.

Read my post again. College. Pro teams are transitory. New guys each year. It's strictly a business. Is Lebron James a good teammate?

Right. You are picking and choosing when the team or the individual matters more based on your personal agenda. Which makes your opinion completely irrelevant and laughable.

And why does college vs. pro matter? Transitory? You do realize that college players are on those teams for a maximum of four....maybe five years? The guys sitting out because of the draft are often there for even less time. The guys playing around them are graduating and moving on while other guys come in. There's new guys each year in college too. In many cases there is MORE turnover in college.

Another lousy argument. You'd be better off just saying that Cousins is a bad teammate for denying the completely harmless vaccine.

Well when you lose your Heisman Trophy finalist QB in the first quarter and you are stuck playing a true freshman QB as the backup I don’t care who you are playing and how big of a genius coach you are points are going to be hard to come by. Granted I was happy to see Baylor win but it was a little bit different than expected.

Baylor's defense is pretty respectable. Ole Miss losing their star QB pretty much sealed their fate.

"Experimental" "Limited Effectiveness". You were dunked on for those lazy claims in the last thread....and continue to push that crap. You are the only big-mouthed moron here.

And then to follow it up by refusing to admit that Cousins is a "bad" teammate for refusing the vaccine? Just smashes your argument that college kids going into the draft are bad teammates for sitting out. Can't whine about the team being more important than the individual....just to turn around and deny it when it's convenient.

Right. You are picking and choosing when the team or the individual matters more based on your personal agenda. Which makes your opinion completely irrelevant and laughable.

And why does college vs. pro matter? Transitory? You do realize that college players are on those teams for a maximum of four....maybe five years? The guys sitting out because of the draft are often there for even less time. The guys playing around them are graduating and moving on while other guys come in. There's new guys each year in college too. In many cases there is MORE turnover in college.

Another lousy argument. You'd be better off just saying that Cousins is a bad teammate for denying the completely harmless vaccine.
I wonder if he doesn’t like our new transfers whether unundergrad or grad🧐

Last edited:

The problem with Ole Miss is you have Bama in your division, plus Oxford isn't actually glamorous, save the female student population.
If the SEC goes to 4 pods, the possible alignment speculated on had Ole Miss, Miss State, Bama and Auburn in 1 pod. Other option was Ole Miss and MSU with LSU and Ark and the TN schools with Bama and Auburn.
I've been through there. City isn't much, but it's a pretty campus with a great stadium.

I didn't mention yesterday, Utah's QB Cameron Rising is something special. Utah doesn't get much play out here nor on ESPN, so I had no idea. What a big surprise that game was.

Have u ever been to game at Ole Miss? I hear the tailgating and scenery is legendary!

The "other option" seems to make most sense to me. With the expansion....this is how I see the four pods:

Texas A&M/Texas/Oklahoma/Mizzou - Former Big 12 Pod
Arkansas/Ole Miss/Miss State/LSU
Bama/Auburn/Vandy/Tennessee
Kentucky/SC/Georgia/Florida

Giant tech companies hire only degreed people.
That's not true at all. You can get into any of the FAANG companies without even a Bachelor's Degree. You just need to demonstrate the expertise.

Top Bottom