2021 Other Bowl Games Thread

in his on field interview after the game, Coach Day said the win builds momentum for next year Coach Fleck doesn’t believe in that. Who’s right?

Cardale Jones, JT Barrett, Dwayne Haskins, Braxton Miller, Troy Smith, Terrell’s Prior, etc etc. just unbelievable QBs according to these broadcasters who not only can’t QB an NFL team, but can’t even stay on a roster.

I get so sick of listening to it. Hes got NFL receivers, an NFL line, and there may as well not even be a pass rush, AMAZING how they can pass it to those NFL receivers. Lmfao.

Maybe so on the time to throw, but his accuracy is incredible.
Especially against tough competition when he doesn’t have all day to throw every play, like at Michigan. Tanner Morgan could do the same thing, along with 30 or 40 other college QB’s. What happens to their accuracy in the NFL???

This is one of.....if not the best college football game I've seen all season (Gophers games excluded).
Junior high defense. Not exciting. Pathetic. Alabama and Georgia have defenses. Not these pretenders.

Cardale Jones, JT Barrett, Dwayne Haskins, Braxton Miller, Troy Smith, Terrell’s Prior, etc etc. just unbelievable QBs according to these broadcasters who not only can’t QB an NFL team, but can’t even stay on a roster.

I get so sick of listening to it. Hes got NFL receivers, an NFL line, and there may as well not even be a pass rush, AMAZING how they can pass it to those NFL receivers. Lmfao.
Of those you list, I think Jones is the only one who could throw as well as Stroud and he was bascially a statue in the pocket. Barrett, Miller, Pryor, and Smith were dual-threat guys. I do see some similarities between Stroud and Haskins, but Stroud was dropping dimes all day. He has a set of all-world receivers, but Harrison hadn't played that much until today.

It’s been discussed, but tOSU players opting out of the Rose Bowl is just gross. If you’re not going to play in the Rose Bowl, why play in the regular season? Just WTF.
Exactly what I've been wondering about the opt outs / quitters. If you are that concerned about your draft status, why play at all during the season? Once there is enough film and you have an idea where you stand, why not just quit? It's really disgusting for a team sport. I can't understand how the other players on these teams can look these guys in the eye. If I was drafting I'd actually put the opt out guys under a huge red flag. But whatever.

Missed the end (driving) but OSU did blow the doors off Utah. Just got their own doors blown off on the defensive side. 48 is a lot of points.

Exactly what I've been wondering about the opt outs / quitters. If you are that concerned about your draft status, why play at all during the season? Once there is enough film and you have an idea where you stand, why not just quit? It's really disgusting for a team sport. I can't understand how the other players on these teams can look these guys in the eye. If I was drafting I'd actually put the opt out guys under a huge red flag. But whatever.
When you’re a GM you can do that!

my uncle was an OC in the NFL. He said they’d have no problem with someone opting out if they checked other character boxes.

Last point. If you want to opt out, fine, But that should be it then. You shouldn't get to travel for free and be on the sideline. That's the give and take.
You’re assuming they travel for free (they almost for sure don’t) and plenty of former players are on the sideline at times. That’s all it is. You’re overthinking it.

Exactly what I've been wondering about the opt outs / quitters. If you are that concerned about your draft status, why play at all during the season? Once there is enough film and you have an idea where you stand, why not just quit?
We may well see that. Just like the one and done in college basketball. Those guys come in and play one year. Many just quit going to class altogether after first semester because they know they aren't coming back after the NCAA tournament.

I think context matters IMO. If you’re Purdue playing in the Music City Bowl, I guess I don’t have as much of a problem with Karlaftis and Bell opting out. I don’t like it, but it’s the Music City Bowl. I think OSU players sitting out of the Rose Bowl and Pickett sitting out the Peach Bowl for a 10th ranked team (and a very big deal for a program like Pitt) are much worse.

Last point. If you want to opt out, fine, But that should be it then. You shouldn't get to travel for free and be on the sideline. That's the give and take.
Why not. That's up to the school, coaches and team.

You’re assuming they travel for free (they almost for sure don’t) and plenty of former players are on the sideline at times. That’s all it is. You’re overthinking it.
You think Olave didn’t travel on the team plane? I would be shocked if they made him get there on his own.

To me, having voluntary opt-outs on the sideline (no matter how they got there) is a bad look.

I think context matters IMO. If you’re Purdue playing in the Music City Bowl, I guess I don’t have as much of a problem with Karlaftis and Bell opting out. I don’t like it, but it’s the Music City Bowl. I think OSU players sitting out of the Rose Bowl and Pickett sitting out the Peach Bowl for a 10th ranked team (and a very big deal for a program like Pitt) are much worse.
Ultimately though, for a team like tOSU, like I said, the Rose Bowl is a consolation prize. it might as well be the Guaranteed Rate bowl. If it's not the CFP, it's meaningless.

Read the MSN article I posted. It talks about if you want top guys to play in the post season, expand the playoffs so the games mean something. I know that a bunch of old timers here hold the Rose Bowl in a higher regard than the CFP, but winning a national championship is much, much more important.

You think Olave didn’t travel on the team plane? I would be shocked if they made him get there on his own.

To me, having voluntary opt-outs on the sideline (no matter how they got there) is a bad look.
It's marketing. It's a program saying "Look here - we create guys who are going to be high draft picks. Come here, and you could be a high draft pick."

Sure. But once again, what I think doesn't matter. People are going to do what is in their best interest. Hence all the one and done guys in college hoops.

Would I like it if guys didn't do this sort of thing? Sure.
Do I think it hurts the game? To some extent.

But I don't get people complaining about players acting in their best interests.
Maybe because college football is about team, not individual best interests.

For some. For others it's job training for the NFL.

And Matt Corral just got injured in the Sugar Bowl. He was a projected top ten pick. What if this costs him millions? Good decision to be a "team guy?"
Yup. Will love to hear Kirk spin that one.

Ultimately though, for a team like tOSU, like I said, the Rose Bowl is a consolation prize. it might as well be the Guaranteed Rate bowl. If it's not the CFP, it's meaningless.

Read the MSN article I posted. It talks about if you want top guys to play in the post season, expand the playoffs so the games mean something. I know that a bunch of old timers here hold the Rose Bowl in a higher regard than the CFP, but winning a national championship is much, much more important.
F that.

Do away with the CFP.

For some. For others it's job training for the NFL.

And Matt Corral just got injured in the Sugar Bowl. He was a projected top ten pick. What if this costs him millions? Good decision to be a "team guy?"
As noted in my previous post it would be surprising if he didn’t have an insurance policy.

also do u know 💯 % how serious it is?
Or are u just assuming it is a serious injury which affects his draft status?

When you’re in charge of a team you’ll get to make that choice. I am sure some coaches will make that choice too.

As noted in my previous post it would be surprising if he didn’t have an insurance policy.

also do u know 💯 % how serious it is?
Or are u just assuming it is a serious injury which affects his draft status?
I'd be interested to know exactly how those policies are worded. Do they get activated if the kid never plays again, or are they based on some sort of draft projection. Thinking of Jake Butt, the TE from Michigan who tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl. His draft status dropped, and he didn't have much of an NFL career due to that injury.

As for how injured Corral is, he just came out on crutches.

Not my words, but from another college football discussion I follow:

So Kirk Herbstreit are you happy that Matt Corral played tonight? So great that he went out and gave it his all in a game that may have cost him millions while his school still gets their cut.

I'd be interested to know exactly how those policies are worded. Do they get activated if the kid never plays again, or are they based on some sort of draft projection. Thinking of Jake Butt, the TE from Michigan who tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl. His draft status dropped, and he didn't have much of an NFL career due to that injury.

As for how injured Corral is, he just came out on crutches.
I remember first hearing about them for Bosworth and/or Andre Ware - not sure what they cover or payout etc

hope he has a bad ankle sprain that will be healed up in a month or so - he’s a heck of a player and a good teammate 🤞🙏

With ESPN owning all the major bowls you get a situation like the Sugar Bowl tonight where the broadcasters are nobodies and not good because ESPN doesn’t have enough depth in their talent roster to cover that many games. Think about in the golden period in the late 70s/early 80s where there was high level talent calling the Rose Bowl (Dick Enberg and Merlin Olson) and Orange Bowl (Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy) on NBC and the Sugar Bowl (Keith Jackson and a host of color guys) on ABC. That’s when the New Year’s Day bowls were something special and fun.

Not my words, but from another college football discussion I follow:

So Kirk Herbstreit are you happy that Matt Corral played tonight? So great that he went out and gave it his all in a game that may have cost him millions while his school still gets their cut.
Valid points all around and as most things in life it’s not simple.
Personally I don’t like it, but I don’t have the right to tell what someone else can do with their life/livelihood.
I wouldn’t let them in my sideline if I was the coach though

Top Bottom