2021 Other Bowl Games Thread

Reading it will be Rutgers in the Gator bowl because they have the highest APR of all the 5-7 teams.
I'd love to see the Gophers move up to the Gator Bowl, and I'm sure there are other teams (or, more likely, fan bases) who would, too. It's not realistic. But Wake Forest can't be too happy, either. At least they still get to play. But Rutgers?

I know it's not realistic, but it really sucks that a shitty team like Rutgers gets to play in the Gator Bowl, rather than moving up a more deserving (cough, cough) team. But it isn't right for fans that have bought tickets etc. I guess the Gophers get a piece of the money pie, so that's something.

Army’s defense playing extremely soft allowing Missouri to easily drive down the field to take the lead. Prevent defense!

My guess is that the bowls told the top 2 or 3 5-7 team in APR to have 10 or 11 post season practices in case of a breakout for a couple of bowl teams. Then the last 4 allowed practices will come at the bowl site.

My guess is that the bowls told the top 2 or 3 5-7 team in APR to have 10 or 11 post season practices in case of a breakout for a couple of bowl teams. Then the last 4 allowed practices will come at the bowl site.
Does the NCAA allow you to do extra practices if you're not in a bowl game?

Does the NCAA allow you to do extra practices if you're not in a bowl game?
Since there was a good chance that one or more teams would drop out of bowls because of COVID-19, there had to be some teams on call. Those teams on call should be able to practice.

Since there was a good chance that one or more teams would drop out of bowls because of COVID-19, there had to be some teams on call. Those teams on call should be able to practice.
Are you saying that you have heard this has happened or just that it would make sense for them to have done so? From what I have seen, none of the non-bowl teams have been practicing. That's why Rutgers, for example, passed on the Gator Bowl.

Last edited:

Are you saying that you have heard this has happened or just that it would make sense for them to have done so?
The latter.

But then again, the NCAA making sense does not add up. But if the NCAA cares about the health of the players, they should allow a few non-pad practices for the top 2 or 3 APR 5-7 teams.

But they come back to win with a FG! Fun ending.

I too was very pleased with the last four minutes of the game (the only part I saw) and the outcome. The announcers mentioned a couple of times that Missouri has not won a bowl since they beat us in the Citrus in 2014. I think that's karma for the dastardly deed of kicking an onside kick (and recovering) to start the second half of that game thereby robbing us of the expected possession to start the half.

Rutgers to Gator Bowl is official. Let's pause for a moment and think of how big of an ordeal it will be to coordinate this in time for 12/31.

All the players were already on winter break.
All the coach's were probably off with their families for the holidays.
All the equipment personnel probably inventoried and put everything away for the offseason.

To now get everyone back together, all the equipment and uniforms out of storage, practice, travel and put together a scouting report....all through the Christmas holiday? That's a monumental task that nobody was planning on.

Rutgers to Gator Bowl is official. Let's pause for a moment and think of how big of an ordeal it will be to coordinate this in time for 12/31.

All the equipment personnel probably inventoried and put everything away for the offseason.

To now get everyone back together, all the equipment and uniforms out of storage, practice, travel and put together a scouting report....all through the Christmas holiday? That's a monumental task that nobody was planning on.

Not to mention that they haven't been practicing like all the other bowl teams.

Still....what a break. Go 5-7 and get lucked into the Gator Bowl against a 10-3 team. Checking....checking. Yup.....Gophers are still playing 6-6 WVU.

Wake should absolutely roll them.....but that would be some sort of wackiness if Rutgers managed to win.

Well at least Big 10 gets cut of bowl revenue sucks to be Rutgers though. That's a big ask to round everyone up logistically to travel and practice.

Gator Bowl: "Rutgers, ACC sucks and you're the shittiest team we can find to get ACC a bowl win over a BIG team. You want it?"

Rutgers: "Ummmm, OK."

Both of these Florida teams look terrible in the Sasparilla bowl.

Hawaii has just pulled out of the Hawaii bowl due to COVID issues.

Also, I don't want to hear anyone talk about how the future state Big 12 isn't a P5 conference. UCF, Houston, BYU and Cinci are all legit football programs. And all of them are better than Texas is currently.

Well, Memphis gets a free vacation.
Bielema's seeing how fast he can rally the troops and charter a plane. He would look good on the sideline with an apple in his mouth doing his best kahlua pig pose

Bielema's seeing how fast he can rally the troops and charter a plane. He would look good on the sideline with an apple in his mouth doing his best kahlua pig pose
I assume he eats a lot of Spam.

Top Bottom