2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

I'm not sure where they think they should be, but Beamer is looking more like Tom Osborne with each passing year. They're lucky that UVa and Maryland continue to bumble and stumble along.
Similar situation too, in the Big East.

Nebraska and OU in the Big 8
Miami (FL) and VT in the Big East

Yeah, they're setting those two leagues up to have the most money, certainly.

Probably why Texas and OU saw no way forward but to join the SEC.

Pretty ballsy for a place like MSU. If he doesn’t pan out, a contract like that can more or less sink an athletic program of their magnitude. They aren’t OSU or Michigan.
It's an aggressive move, no doubt, but according to the article the raise is being funded by donations from a couple of alums, so I don't think they have to worry about sinking the athletic department.

Half of those coaches…why would they leave? Franklin, that makes no sense. Fisher? He’s already at A &M. I should have become a reporter, half of these folks put zero effort into creating an actual tangible list.

I think Franklin is a climber and LSU just won a Natty 2 years ago and in 2007 & 2003 and PSU? All the way back to 1986 when Jo Pa was in his heyday (they also won in '82) Also the HS football in LA is massive (better than PA) and he also would have his PA/NE US contacts as well - plus I bet they'll back the track up to get someone like him. Saban is also 70 - how much more does he have in the tank? Maybe wants one more and then go fishin?

I think Franklin is a climber and LSU just won a Natty 2 years ago and in 2007 & 2003 and PSU? All the way back to 1986 when Jo Pa was in his heyday (they also won in '82) Also the HS football in LA is massive (better than PA) and he also would have his PA/NE US contacts as well - plus I bet they'll back the track up to get someone like him. Saban is also 70 - how much more does he have in the tank? Maybe wants one more and then go fishin?
I think Franklin leaves if offered LSU or USC, he's kind of reached that plateau stage at PSU. Unless Ryan Day is leaving it was be smart for Franklin to head elsewhere and I'd take USC if I were him.

I think Franklin leaves if offered LSU or USC, he's kind of reached that plateau stage at PSU. Unless Ryan Day is leaving it was be smart for Franklin to head elsewhere and I'd take USC if I were him.
PSU has a ceiling much lower than LSU and USC - as shown in much more recent Nattys - great point!

USC of course has access to mega in-state talent as well - it would also let their alums know they're serious - good to be James Franklin right about now😁.

It's an aggressive move, no doubt, but according to the article the raise is being funded by donations from a couple of alums, so I don't think they have to worry about sinking the athletic department.
I'm making large assumptions, as there is limited information being reported. The yearly salary is the easiest part of a coaches salary to account for, as it's a regular and expected expense they work into the budget. The fact that they have donors covering the yearly increase of his contract over and above what they're already paying him (not the entirety) covers only a small part of the risk. My comment was more directed at the potential buyout. As we've learned with NCAA football and basketball contracts, really the main numbers that matter are what does the school get in case he's hired away (thus how likely is he to bolt if successful), and what do they have to pay to fire a coach. PJ's contract has evolved to actually be pretty friendly to the U over the course of signing these extensions. His buyout to leave has gone up, and the U "only" has to pay 65% of his remaining base salary (something like $1.5mm/year). Jimbo Fisher's current buyout is $95.6mm.

If MSU is truly giving him a contract that will be able to fend off the helmet schools, the buyout will likely be substantial. That is the part that can sink an athletic department, or force them to keep him coaching even if not successful. He has a limited track record, and even if he is successful, something can derail even good coaches. Look at Ed Orgeron; wins the national title, was recruiting very well, and then things started happening in his personal life, and he started to get lax in his duties (possibly due to the large sense of security a big contract can provide) on the job. LSU has the ability to buy him out and get out from a messy situation. I highly doubt MSU would be able to get out of that contract, depending on what the buyout ends up being. I hope Tucker is successful, and a good coach remains in the B1G. All I'm saying is if I was an MSU fan, I'd be a bit cautious in how much they're "going all in".

The likelihood of Tucker plateauing based on decades of precedent are pretty high. What if PJ got a contract like this after 2019? He would have gotten WAY more heat in 2020, and the press (and fans alike) would be grilling him mercilessly after this years losses, way more so that he currently is. Big bucks equal big expectations, and that pressure alone can crack some individuals, or lead to impermissible benefits, etc. to try and win at all costs.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ct-buyout-largest-college-history/6003908001/

Last edited:

Dan Mullen a fired to finalist faster than anyone in history? Guy is going to get very good job, maybe even LSU or USC?

Dan Mullen a fired to finalist faster than anyone in history? Guy is going to get very good job, maybe even LSU or USC?
You might be right, but no way I’d hire him. To me, he’s the most overrated coach in the sport. Had he not had Dak Prescott, he’s still mediocre at Mississippi State. Good coordinator, poor HC.

Being that I like Georgia too, this move disappoints me. Was enjoying Mullen tenure at Florida.

You might be right, but no way I’d hire him. To me, he’s the most overrated coach in the sport. Had he not had Dak Prescott, he’s still mediocre at Mississippi State. Good coordinator, poor HC.

Being that I like Georgia too, this move disappoints me. Was enjoying Mullen tenure at Florida.
I hate Florida too. I like the Dawgs because of it. Not a full on fan, but just want them to out-do the gators. Which they are doing very well at.

FSU and Florida fighting for Bowl eligibility this Saturday.

Matt Campbell, 6-5 is looking to make big money if he desires. Easier to get him this year with a mediocre season. (Rumors of NFL interest as well). Fickle being 11-0 and likely playing into the new year will be hard to wait on.

Sonny Dykes--> TCU. If fully healthy would Jerry have been a better hire?

Matt Campbell, 6-5 is looking to make big money if he desires.
Would southern schools hire a midwest guy, who has done some, but still not incredible, things at Iowa State?

Mississippi St isn't an easy place to win in the SEC. He had the second most wins in Bulldog history. He recruited Dak, didn't he? He also beat Georgia last season.

2-9 against the last 11 P5 opponents is bad at Florida, but overall Mullen has been an upgrade over Muschamp and McElwain. One bad season in the SEC and you get fired now apparently. Florida has become Texas and USC.

Would southern schools hire a midwest guy, who has done some, but still not incredible, things at Iowa State?
I think they would based on what he is doing at Iowa State. He's won for 5 straight seasons including a conference championship in 2020. (All with classes ranked below 45) He has a top 25 recruiting class going for 2022 which ironically includes two kids with MN ties. Guys can win outside the midwest. Florida did ok with Meyer who came from Bowling Green and Utah, although I realize it was a few years ago.

Meyer did far more at Utah, at G5 at the time, than what Campbell has been able to accomplish at Iowa State.

But, you have a very good point.

BetOnline has removed all odds for the Gators next head coach.

Closing odds were:

Napier: +140
Kiffin: +500
Mark Stoops: +800
Christobal: +900
Bob Stoops: +1000

Top Bottom