2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

Should end the Tomlin rumors. When I saw how they started, I knew there was no real basis.

What would he say to the press if he did have interest in the jobs while coaching the Steelers?

I wonder if this is the year that Jim Leonhard gets a shot at a major program. And if so, which opening? Would LSU consider him if the marquee names turn them down?
He's not taking over for Chryst for a LONG time, so if wants a head job (hehe) he'll need to look somewhere else. But maybe he's be happy being a lifer at DC?

What would he say to the press if he did have interest in the jobs while coaching the Steelers?
Good grief. The rumor started when some sports radio guy name dropped like Palmer did. No basis for it other than people throwing names out. He said there's not a school that could pay him enough to go there. That's pretty clear and I don't think he'd be that direct if he had interest.

He's not taking over for Chryst for a LONG time, so if wants a head job (hehe) he'll need to look somewhere else. But maybe he's be happy being a lifer at DC?
Making $1M a year so he's probably pretty satisfied right now and would most likely need to get a P5 HC offer to move. That's also about what NFL D Coordinators make. Interesting note that when they re-did his contract this year, they took out the clause that would end his contract if Chryst leaves or gets fired.

Good grief. The rumor started when some sports radio guy name dropped like Palmer did. No basis for it other than people throwing names out. He said there's not a school that could pay him enough to go there. That's pretty clear and I don't think he'd be that direct if he had interest.
Calm down Charlie Brown. If someone had interest they generally don't admit as much, i.e. "I will not coach Alabama" or holding a press conference earlier in the day before you take the Michigan State job (Mel Tucker).

Calm down Charlie Brown. If someone had interest they generally don't admit as much, i.e. "I will not coach Alabama" or holding a press conference earlier in the day before you take the Michigan State job (Mel Tucker).
That all may be true but I would bet you any amount that Tomlin isn't going to take a college head coaching job unless, and maybe even if, the Steelers fire him. He's an NFL guy and would guess he had no interest in the recruiting slime that college coaches have to be a part of.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. I could see there being decent chance within the next 5 to 7 years.

Last edited:

Fleck is currently #24 in compensation, behind the now fired Clay Helton, and just above Jeff Brohm.
To get in the top 20, you would need $5 million a year. Ferentz, Frost, Harsin, and Mike Leach.

Pat Fitzgerald is #11 at $5.7 million.

#1-10 is all over $6 million a year.

5 SEC schools
2 Big 12 (TCU and Oklahoma)

Clemson, Stanford, and OSU.
(Edit: Franklin wasn't sorting in the list. He's at $7 million a year at Penn St)

I'd expect USC to be willing to offer top 10 money to get the right coach.

Not sure why James Franklin is the favorite at LSU. Unlikely he would make that move.

Moves of that type are often rumored, but seldom happen. They make for nice Twitter and message board fodder but more likely it's a head coach from a less prestigious program or a coordinator.

LSU is a good job but not a great one with incredible pressure to win and being stuck in the same division as Bama and a host of other difficult teams.
LSU might be the best job in college football. It’s certainly top 5. Sure, it’s a pressure cooker, but most jobs that pay $8M per year are. The last 3 coaches there have all won national titles.

Leonard is ready to move up and I could see him going to Nebraska if Frost loses the last 6 games of the year and ends with just 3 wins. Even if Nebraska defeats Purdue today, there's a good chance Frost ends up with just the 4 victories. The Frost hiring has been a big disappointment in Lincoln.

Leonard is ready to move up and I could see him going to Nebraska if Frost loses the last 6 games of the year and ends with just 3 wins. Even if Nebraska defeats Purdue today, there's a good chance Frost ends up with just the 4 victories. The Frost hiring has been a big disappointment in Lincoln.
That would be a great move. I'd hope he'd take a page from Dave Aranda and get out of the way of his offense as many defensive guys play too conservatively.

Clay Helton is expected to be named the new head coach at Georgia Southern according to reports. That’s a big hire for the Eagles.

Clay Helton is expected to be named the new head coach at Georgia Southern according to reports. That’s a big hire for the Eagles.
Interesting that they are again going to move away from the option. It has spectacularly failed for them every time they've tried to run something else. Good for them if it works

Interesting that they are again going to move away from the option. It has spectacularly failed for them every time they've tried to run something else. Good for them if it works
I forgot until just now that Helton has southern roots, was born in Gainesville, FL and played two years at Auburn. Georgia Southern is a proud football playing school with some serious success in its past. If Helton can get them back to winning and dominating their conference, he could be in line to replace the most overrated coach in the country at Florida in about 2-3 years.

My understanding is that, Frost's buyout is pretty steep at $20 million, money that Nebraska may not have. It goes down to 5 Million next year, unless they can fire Frost for cause, I think that they bite the bullet of one more year.

My understanding is that, Frost's buyout is pretty steep at $20 million, money that Nebraska may not have. It goes down to 5 Million next year, unless they can fire Frost for cause, I think that they bite the bullet of one more year.
God I hope so.

Akron chimes in:

After suffering a 31-25 loss to Ball State under the Tuesday night lights which ended with a potential game-tying touchdown instead turning into a game-ending fumble, the University of Akron announced a change in leadership on Thursday morning, dismissing head coach Tom Arth.

Current inside linebackers coach and associate head coach Oscar Rodriguez Jr., who came with Arth from UT-Chattanooga in 2019, will be the interim head coach over the remainder of the 2021 season.

“We appreciate Coach Tom Arth’s work on behalf of our student-athletes and coaches and we wish him well moving forward,” University of Akron athletic director Charles Guthrie said via press release regarding the move.

Go Gophers!!

Jim Mora to UCONN. Can think of many others I’d consider before him.

Jim Mora to UCONN. Can think of many others I’d consider before him.
For a second I was thinking this was the 86 year old Jim Mora. I was hoping we'd get to see another "Playoffs? Playoffs?" sound byte.

Top Bottom