2020 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Part of me wants to see LaMelo Ball play for the Wolves. Maybe we trade down to pick #3 and get another high pick next year.
If they keep the pick, I'd take Ball. I want nothing to do with Edwards. He had a handful of games last year where he scored single digit points and there's questions about his lack of effort. Hard pass.

I read on another site that he's never been on a high school, AAU or college team that finished above .500.
That's not the be-all, end-all, but if true, yuck!

That is a concern.

My hope is the Hornets or Bulls fall in love with a guy and trade up to #1. Wolves then pick USC kid and hopefully have a draft asset for next year

Saw this trade idea that I like.
Wolves trade #1 pick, Spellman and the #33 to Charlotte for #3 and PJ Washington.

per Shooter:

LaMelo Ball likes to handle the basketball a lot, but so does Timberwolves guard D’Angelo Russell, meaning shooting guard Anthony Harris probably will be the Wolves’ choice with their No. 1 overall pick in the October NBA draft. If not, 7-foot-1 James Wiseman, who was recruited to Memphis State by ex-Wolves coach Sam Mitchell, is the logical pick.

Howl Wolves!!

Out there somewhere: With No. 1 overall draft pick, Wolves have chance to add another major piece

There might not be a superstar in the 2020 NBA draft.

Some drafts are just better than others, and most analyses portend this year’s draft class to be of a lower quality. There are few, if any, stars, and a lot of guesswork might be necessary, especially in a draft process that coronavirus has essentially shredded by eliminating the ability for in-person workouts and meetings.

But in an interview Friday, Timberwolves President Gersson Rosas said if the Wolves end up keeping the No. 1 overall pick the franchise won in the lottery Thursday, he doesn’t need that player to turn into an MVP. Rosas said the organization already has a player on that trajectory in center Karl-Anthony Towns with a complementary All-Star point guard in D’Angelo Russell. Rosas would be hoping the pick meshes well with that duo and accentuates their strengths.

“We’re not praying this guy is a franchise piece,” Rosas said. “We’re not praying that this guy is our No. 1 player. We’re fortunate to have that already with Karl. We have a guy we acquired at the trade deadline in D’Angelo, a complementary superstar point guard to our top guy. … This No. 1 pick gives it another layer of value to find whether it’s the No. 2 or No. 3 guy. We’re not this organization that’s bare and is praying for a franchise pick, which I think gives us a different perspective as we go into this draft.”

Howl Wolves!!

ESPN:

Who should the Timberwolves take?

While the 2020 NBA draft is reputed to be one in which teams might not mind slipping a few spots -- considering the high cost of a top pick's rookie scale contract and the extreme uncertainty surrounding the top prospects -- Minnesota surely is excited to have first choice.

Even in the best of times, the Timberwolves have existed in one of the thorniest economic situations of any NBA team -- and this is not the best of times for the league or the franchise. Now the Timberwolves are for sale, adding further uncertainty. Will new ownership be in place before the draft? If a sale is close, a prospective owner will probably want a say in how the team handles its second No. 1 overall pick. (Karl-Anthony Towns was the other in 2015, although the team also obtained 2014 top pick Andrew Wiggins via trade.)

Ball has a great case to go No. 1. He is a supersized point guard with a prodigious feel for the game and makes things incredibly easy for teammates with his passing ability. He is the best ballhandler in this draft, but he also loves to empower teammates and has no problem operating off the ball as well.

Ball also is going to make his new team more relevant nationally and globally. Drafting a player who both sells tickets and helps the team return to the playoffs, eventually if not immediately, is the best-case scenario for Minnesota.

Of course, a backcourt of Ball and D'Angelo Russell, with Towns in the middle, would make it difficult for Minnesota to build a good defense. But if Edwards is the other top candidate because of his offensive talent at shooting guard, then his inconsistency and defensive apathy offer no great contrast. As Edwards said in his introduction to the NBA audience on Thursday, "I had a lot of bad games" in his one season at Georgia.

Ball's instincts for rebounding, getting in passing lanes and even blocking shots at times suggest he has plenty of potential as his frame continues to fill out. He experienced another growth spurt recently, and Ball will probably look significantly different physically into his 20s than he does now.

If I'm the Wolves, give me Ball for his talent, for his marketability, for his overall approach to the game and for his long-term potential. -- Jonathan Givony

Howl Wolves!!

ESPN:

Who will the Timberwolves take?
If I were Timberwolves president Gersson Rosas, I would draft LaMelo Ball first overall for the reasons Jonathan Givony outlined above. Marketability aside, Ball's combination of size, passing instincts, creativity, touch and comfort in a starring role carries great on-court intrigue. You could put every other prospect in this draft in a gym with the best trainers in the world for a year straight and they still wouldn't be able to make some of the instinctual reads he can with the ball. I believe that if Ball had played 30-plus games in a major NCAA conference this season, there wouldn't be much debate at the top.

But if the question is who I think the Wolves will take, I lean toward Anthony Edwards. When a 6-foot-5 shooting guard has exploded for 37 points against Michigan State, 32 at Florida and 36 at South Carolina (though all in losing efforts), that creates a firmer impression and more confidence that the player's skills will translate. It's simply easier to gauge Edwards' talent when you've seen him against Isaac Okoro and Auburn; Aaron Nesmith and Vanderbilt; and Tyrese Maxey and Kentucky. Watching Bruce Pearl, Tom Crean, Jerry Stackhouse and John Calipari patrol the sidelines in those games gives scouts who have years of experience watching college games a way to understand the level of Edwards' play and competition.

Ball's highlights are eye-popping but might have less impact when his darts are landing in the hands of Sunday Dech or Todd Blanchfield in cities halfway around the world. The Australian NBL has good players but is less familiar to NBA scouts and executives. The perception gap becomes more pronounced when we factor in the lingering questions about Ball's highly unusual path to the NBA and how eager he would be to help turn around a struggling franchise.

For Minnesota, there also is the question of fit. Ball will be at his best when a team hands him the keys and surrounds him with 3-and-D wings, a speedy creator and an athletic roller. But Russell is a methodical player who takes his time setting up in the pick-and-roll. Simply put, they both like the ball in their hands and would have to make stylistic adjustments. Of course, they can make it work, but I could see the Wolves thinking twice, especially when the player they'd be taking the ball away from in Russell is one of Towns' best friends.

Edwards would infuse the Wolves with a level of pop -- physicality, explosiveness and scoring punch -- that they're missing. Every move he makes is an NBA move. Step-backs, pull-backs, you name it, he can get to his shot against the best defenders in the world.

And I'm a fan of Edwards' long-term upside. He didn't bring it every night at Georgia, but when dialed in, there was no scorer more explosive in the country. When watching his best games, you start to think of Victor Oladipo, Donovan Mitchell and occasionally even James Harden.

So while I agree the Wolves should take Ball first overall and never look back, I can certainly see Minnesota becoming more comfortable taking Edwards, the collegiate star who is the more natural fit on paper.

Howl Wolves!!

CBS chimes in:

PROJECTED TEAM
Minnesota
PROSPECT RNK
1st
POSITION RNK
1st

Are you ready for a D'Angelo Russell/LaMelo Ball backcourt? What it would lack on the defensive end it would (in theory) make up for on the offensive end because Minnesota would have two big guards who can both really create scoring opportunities and pass. And though I can acknowledge it's not a perfect fit, it's likely the best option for a franchise that's still trying to figure out how to be relevant in the Western Conference with an All-NBA talent like Karl-Anthony Towns in the middle. Towns has been in Minnesota five seasons and only played in five playoff games. That's awful. So perhaps Ball can be the key to changing that because, even though his shot-selection leaves a lot to be desired, the 6-6 guard can already see things offensively, and do things offensively, that 99.9% of prospects his age cannot do. And that's why it's reasonable to conclude the good far outweighs any bad — and predict that LaVar's youngest son has the talent to develop into an All-Star many times over.

Howl Wolves!!

per Shooter:

LaMelo Ball likes to handle the basketball a lot, but so does Timberwolves guard D’Angelo Russell, meaning shooting guard Anthony Harris probably will be the Wolves’ choice with their No. 1 overall pick in the October NBA draft. If not, 7-foot-1 James Wiseman, who was recruited to Memphis State by ex-Wolves coach Sam Mitchell, is the logical pick.

Howl Wolves!!
Anthony Harris. Great job over there at TwinCities.com. Embarrassing.

Anthony Harris. Great job over there at TwinCities.com. Embarrassing.
You also missed the reference to Wiseman at Memphis State University. It changed its name to the University of Memphis in 1994. Maybe that’s also the last year an article was proofread before getting out the door at a newspaper.

If they keep the pick, I'd take Ball. I want nothing to do with Edwards. He had a handful of games last year where he scored single digit points and there's questions about his lack of effort. Hard pass.

This is where I am at as well. I think Ball is the best player in the draft. Edwards has bust written all over him.

You don't need two 7 footers in today's NBA, but I'd also consider Wiseman. I think he and Ball have the most star potential, and with the #1 pick, you need to draft star.

This is where I am at as well. I think Ball is the best player in the draft. Edwards has bust written all over him.

You don't need two 7 footers in today's NBA, but I'd also consider Wiseman. I think he and Ball have the most star potential, and with the #1 pick, you need to draft star.
Zero chance Rosas drafts a center unless to trade him.

I highly doubt Edwards will be a bust. His talent is through the roof. He scares me enough to not make him the first pick though.

I am warming up to Ball a bit. A 3 man rotation of Russell, Beasley and Ball would be very interesting on offense. Putrid on defense.

I still am hoping for a trade. Fleecing NY and Thibs would be amazing.

Zero chance Rosas drafts a center unless to trade him.

I highly doubt Edwards will be a bust. His talent is through the roof. He scares me enough to not make him the first pick though.

I am warming up to Ball a bit. A 3 man rotation of Russell, Beasley and Ball would be very interesting on offense. Putrid on defense.

I still am hoping for a trade. Fleecing NY and Thibs would be amazing.

I agree that Rosas is unlikely to take a center. But I'm always a believer in taking the best player available player regardless of need.

There are many examples of very talented players like Edwards becoming busts. I don't like taking good players from bad teams. The most recent example of that is Fultz. His numbers were even better at Washington than Edwards' numbers at Georgia. Fultz has been a huge bust so far.

I'd love for them to trade the pick, but for who? Everyone wants Booker, but that's a pipe dream. Who would you want from the Knicks? I want a proven player in return.

Edwards has the highest upside and that would be my pick. I don't have a lot of faith in the development of Edwards under Saunders though. I like Ryan, I just don't think he's proven enough to have confidence in him being the one who leads us into the next era of Wolves basketball.

If Ryan does continue to be the guy though, Ball looks like he has a better natural feel for the game and needs less coaching, though still would need a coach to develop him and make the offense fit. I don't see them going Ball though as Deangelo is the guy who's gonna dominate the ball for the next 5 years+ unless good coaching allows those 2 guys to play off each other.

Overall I'd think Edwards will be the pick if we keep the first. Trading it would be my first choice, and maybe Gersson's as well, if the he can find the right match. He's done a good job swinging deals so far IMO.

I'd love for them to trade the pick, but for who? Everyone wants Booker, but that's a pipe dream. Who would you want from the Knicks? I want a proven player in return.
[/QUOTE]

The Knick mention was more about screwing over Thibs than a specific player/s. I would like to get Mitchell Robinson from them, but I'm not even sure they would trade him for anyone straight up in this draft. And...Rosas would have to value another big (something he seems not interested in). Speaking of Thibs. I don't see him wanting Ball. He isn't the GM, but if he has any say, I can see him not wanting a player like Ball. I'd do a #1 for the #8 and a protected no.1 next years draft if the Knicks would. Gotta get back in the 2021 draft imo.

I keep forgetting the Wolves have that other 1st rounder; which now appears to be #17 from Brooklyn. At the end of the day, it's another asset and hey, it's better than a pick in the mid-late 20's. With #1 and #17 and #33, there is some opportunity to improve the roster for sure, whether it's making the picks or packaging picks and players for more impact veterans, etc.

Things might be heating up with the sale of the Wolves. This just now from The Athletic:

"An investment group led by former Memphis Grizzlies minority owner Daniel E. Straus is in advanced discussions to buy the Timberwolves and Lynx from Taylor, sources told The Athletic.

The sides still have issues to resolve before any full agreement can be completed, sources said."

Interesting if true. I think the sooner the better for pretty much everyone involved?

EDIT: Sounds like this group has been in an exclusive negotiation with Taylor ever since July 21 when it was announced the team was on the market. The exclusive agreement expired a few days ago, but they are still working on hashing things out.

Last edited:

good analysis of edwards. He just turned 19 this month. Plenty to love, and you can excuse his deficiencies because of his age. If I was a GM, I'd sit down and talk to him and see what kind of kid he is. If you think hes a nice guy, smart, and ready to work, I'd take him.

good analysis of edwards. He just turned 19 this month. Plenty to love, and you can excuse his deficiencies because of his age. If I was a GM, I'd sit down and talk to him and see what kind of kid he is. If you think hes a nice guy, smart, and ready to work, I'd take him.

Let's just hope when they do sit down and see if he's a "nice guy" they don't take into consideration his smile. That cost us Curry.

Howl Wolves!!

Let's just hope when they do sit down and see if he's a "nice guy" they don't take into consideration his smile. That cost us Curry.

Howl Wolves!!

Im not really mad they didnt pick Curry. Nobody had any idea he was going to be this good. But Flynn was a dime a dozen, and should have been treated as such. He had a helluva Big East tournament, at least one great game, and that pushed Kahn to pick him.

I was more upset about taking point guards back to back in a VERY PG RICH draft back in 2009. I was mad they didnt take DeRozan with Rubio, then draft one of Lawson, Teague, Collinson, or Maynor @18

Howl Wolves!!
What's the story on this? I never heard anything about a meeting with Curry that went askew.

I'm not thrilled with any of the three or four guys who are most prominently mentioned for the first pick. If Gerson could find a way to use the pick plus other assets to pick up Ben Simmons, that would be sublime. However, that's a long shot. More realistically, I could see the pick being used in some fashion to pick up Caris LeVert plus some additional draft capital. If the wolves end up with Devin Vassell somewhere between picks 5 and 10, that would be a high value. If Vassell adds 20lbs, he can be an impact player.

It's too bad that the year the wolves finally move up, there's nobody who looks like they are ready to add wins--at least right away.

Top Bottom