2020-2021 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Edwards is coming into his own. Wow he's athletic and improving seemingly every game.

Howl Wolves!!

Anthony Edwards put up a triple over Carmelo Anthony midway through the fourth quarter Sunday night at Target Center, and drilled it.

Edwards then looked at the future Hall of Famer and put three fingers up to his temple, Anthony’s signature celebration.

These are the moments for which Edwards yearns. And he’s starting to seize them.

A night after taking over offensively in the final five minutes of Minnesota’s loss to Portland on Saturday, Edwards did so again at Target Center on Sunday, this time in a winning effort.

Behind Edwards’ 13 fourth-quarter points, the Wolves bested the Blazers 114-112 to split the two-game set.

Edwards finished the night with 34 points on 12 for 24 shooting, making six triples.

This all after the rookie wing briefly left the game in the third quarter after awkwardly coming down on his right leg on a made bucket at the rim. Edwards stayed down on the floor for awhile after the fall, gingerly walked off the floor and didn’t return to action until there were 7 minutes, 21 seconds to play in the fourth.

Edwards is coming into his own. Wow he's athletic and improving seemingly every game.

Howl Wolves!!
Time to buy playoff tickets!! Woo Hoo!!

Sounds like Edwards closed out the game strong, which is awesome. I saw the box score right around halftime and he'd put up a lot of shots at not a great percentage; Great to see him building some confidence!

Fun game. They even made it scary at the end. Man, I hope Ant didn't use up all of his highlight plays. Great to see Okogie play well.

Ant can make some plays that nobody else on the floor can make. He also plays with obvious joy instead of the usual NBA stone face. Now we need some defense from him and he has to learn to pass the ball.

Fun game last night. They need more minutes from Nowell and McDaniels (when he returns) and fewer from Ricky, Josh and Hernongomez.

The Ringer: Anthony Edwards Is Flashing the Potential the Timberwolves Need

The no. 1 pick was thrown into the fire this season, as a rash of injuries made Minnesota the worst team in the NBA. He hasn’t been efficient, but he’s shown athleticism and talent worth building around.

Howl Wolves!!

Looked and the contracts match-up too.

7 hours ago – via Chris Mannix @ Sports Illustrated:

The Magic have been looking for point guard help, kicking the tires on Ricky Rubio recently.

1 day ago – via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report:

Until Gordon’s left ankle sprain that sidelined him for six weeks, the Timberwolves and Magic were nearing an agreement on a package for Gordon that centered on Ricky Rubio and future draft capital,sources said.

From today's NBA Injury Report:

Aaron GordonPFSun, Mar 14AnkleGame Time Decision

Last edited:

The Magic have been looking for point guard help, kicking the tires on Ricky Rubio recently.

Until Gordon’s left ankle sprain that sidelined him for six weeks, the Timberwolves and Magic were nearing an agreement on a package for Gordon that centered on Ricky Rubio and future draft capital,sources said.

Keep hearing smoke about the Wolves being after Aaron Gordon. I just doubted they had the assets to swing that deal. He would sure as hell fit a need on that roster.

No thanks if it includes a future 1st and Rubio. Orlando won't do it without a 1st, but I wouldn't add more than two 2nd rounders. Gordon only has one year left and isn't a great fit with Towns. I would rather they overpay for Nance Jr. or Collins if they are going to trade more 1st round picks.

No thanks if it includes a future 1st and Rubio. Orlando won't do it without a 1st, but I wouldn't add more than two 2nd rounders. Gordon only has one year left and isn't a great fit with Towns. I would rather they overpay for Nance Jr. or Collins if they are going to trade more 1st round picks.

Keep hearing smoke about the Wolves being after Aaron Gordon. I just doubted they had the assets to swing that deal. He would sure as hell fit a need on that roster.

- Agree that they need a big with height and heft.

- Don't think they have a chance to get Collins. Too many other suitors. Add in that he's still only making $4.1 but it expires this year. Atlanta is afraid he'll want the max. Like the Wolves, don't think they can pay it.

- Nance is on a better contract. Two more years at $10.7 and 9.7. Haven't seen those trade rumors about him. Not sure why the Cavs would trade him.

- Agree that they need a big with height and heft.

- Don't think they have a chance to get Collins. Too many other suitors. Add in that he's still only making $4.1 but it expires this year. Atlanta is afraid he'll want the max. Like the Wolves, don't think they can pay it.

- Nance is on a better contract. Two more years at $10.7 and 9.7. Haven't seen those trade rumors about him. Not sure why the Cavs would trade him.
They are shopping him (Nance) according to rumors. Read they turned down two protected 1st's.

That was my immediate reaction as well but when you think it all the way through, would a future 1st really be that terrible? The combination of the Wolves already being PLENTY young all across the roster AND that they rarely make good use of 1st round picks anyway, what would really be the loss?

I'd say go for it. Another way to look at it; if you just struck gold with one 2nd rounder in the next draft or two years (Nowell looks pretty good), it almost negates not having a 1st, right? Just a thought...

That was my immediate reaction as well but when you think it all the way through, would a future 1st really be that terrible? The combination of the Wolves already being PLENTY young all across the roster AND that they rarely make good use of 1st round picks anyway, what would really be the loss?

I'd say go for it. Another way to look at it; if you just struck gold with one 2nd rounder in the next draft or two years (Nowell looks pretty good), it almost negates not having a 1st, right? Just a thought...
I guess I should assume they would just screw up the pick anyway.

Gordon would be interesting for sure. I just don't think he helps Towns on the defensive side of things.

Interview with Cade Cunningham who's projected to be the #1 pick in the upcoming NBA Draft.

Best player you played against in high school?

Anthony Edwards.

Why?

He had all the tools. I’ll just say that. He has all the tools. His team was not messing with my team, but he was an incredible player for sure.

"The answer: The bench has been punching well above its weight.

That was reinforced in the second half of a 137-121 shootout with Minnesota at Staples Center, the Lakers’ third straight win out of the All-Star break that has proven to be a launching pad for the second half of their season..

Not so comparing the bench units: The Laker reserves piled up 68 points to 32 from their Minnesota counterparts. It helped that the Lakers enjoyed their second straight strong shooting night from behind the arc, hitting 13 for 26 from the perimeter, resulting in a season-high 37 assists.

James helped close at the finish with a pick-and-roll attack with Harrell that gave the Lakers’ big man three consecutive dunks.

“We have a mindset with our system that if we run a play and it works, we keep running it,” Coach Frank Vogel said. “Bron just put on a masterpiece in finding three, four, maybe even five options out of that action.”

The offensive explosion wiped out a scrappy offensive night from the Timberwolves’ stars: Karl-Anthony Towns and rookie Anthony Edwards each scored 29 points.

A sleepy start, especially on defense, was evidence of the Lakers’ leg-dragging after playing Monday night in San Francisco. After beating up on Golden State with an evening of attentive defensive possessions, the Lakers relaxed to allow Towns, Edwards and Ricky Rubio (19 points, 12 assists) into the lane mostly when they wished.."

Last edited:

Wolves Win! Holy shit! Put up 40 in the 4th quarter to pull away from the Suns.

Ant Edwards puts up 42, KAT 41. Helluva combo. Edwards hoisted up 31 shots (DAMN!!) and was only 4-13 from 3 but still a heckuva night for the young man.

Hell with the draft pick at this point, just win some games? This team needs to learn habits other than losing and the young players really need the playing time and some hard-learned lessons. It would be kinda nice if they finished up strong for a change

Wolves Win! Holy shit! Put up 40 in the 4th quarter to pull away from the Suns.

Ant Edwards puts up 42, KAT 41. Helluva combo. Edwards hoisted up 31 shots (DAMN!!) and was only 4-13 from 3 but still a heckuva night for the young man.

Hell with the draft pick at this point, just win some games? This team needs to learn habits other than losing and the young players really need the playing time and some hard-learned lessons. It would be kinda nice if they finished up strong for a change

With Dlo and Beasley coming back soon, they have a team that can compete with anyone. Developing a winning culture is far more important than tanking for another #1 pick.

With Dlo and Beasley coming back soon, they have a team that can compete with anyone. Developing a winning culture is far more important than tanking for another #1 pick.
I'm sure the new coach has absolutely ZERO interest in tanking in his new gig. I may have to tune into a few more games down the stretch

Yep, quite a surprise looking at the box score this morning! Turned it off at the Half. Wolves were down by 5.

You guys are right. The explosion by Edwards and Towns carried them to this win. In a game were they were outshot, overall and at the 3, and out rebounded. What else?

The Wolves had a pretty odd stat in their favor. They had more steals than turnovers! 14-12. The Suns? They turned it over 22 times and took it back only 6. That kept Minnesota in the game in the 1st half and helped win it.

The other oddity in their favor? The Wolves bench outscored Phoenix! Barely at 32-29, with Hernangomez's 14 and Reid's 10 accounted for nearly all of it. Thing is the Wolves, couple of games aside, usually get hammered when the reserves come in.

Tonight they didn't!

Great win over a very good time.

We're getting damn close to lots of people having to admit they were very wrong about Edwards (myself included).

And I have no problem with that.

No kidding. Me too.

Also makes you wonder where the Wolves would be with Towns playing 41 games rather than 21. Let alone having Russell(20) and Beasley(33) out there. Not hard to imagine the starters outscoring their opponents and the bench would really be holding their own.

Guessing the record would be much closer to 31-10 rather than the 10-31 they're at.

No kidding. Me too.

Also makes you wonder where the Wolves would be with Towns playing 41 games rather than 21. Let alone having Russell(20) and Beasley(33) out there. Not hard to imagine the starters outscoring their opponents and the bench would really be holding their own.

Guessing the record would be much closer to 31-10 rather than the 10-31 they're at.
Goodness gracias Iceland, you've caught the fever! You've got us talking '96 Bulls territory! ;-)

Edwards is bringing so much needed energy and buzz to this franchise. He has some "it" to him and I like his moxie. Will be interesting how Edwards, Beasley, KAT and DLo fit on the floor together. In the oft-chance we get the first pick and select Cade Cunningham, DLo becomes a perfect trade target if someone is willing to absorb his contract. Regardless, there is some intrigue with this team. I love it.

Howl Wolves!!

No kidding. Me too.

Here's a great problem to have, that has been a long time coming for the Wolves--how are the shots going to be distributed once Russell and Beasley are back in the fold? Will there be some trade movement to balance the roster? Do Nowell and McDaniels still get minutes, have they shown enough to feel confident in moving Beasley for front court help? Heady times, feeling optimistic about these T-Wolves future. And as with others, I'm very happy to see my doubts on Ant begin to be tossed back in my face.

By the way, the T-Wolves will soon (barring unlikely circumstances) climb up to having the third worst record in the league (Pistons and Rockets) with 3-4 teams also easily passable if they can continue playing solid.

Goodness gracias Iceland, you've caught the fever! You've got us talking '96 Bulls territory! ;-)

The '96-'97 Bulls won 69 games in the regular season, 84 games total and were NBA Champions. So ah...no. Nor the '95-'96 Bulls who won 72 and 87! 😋

That said, without Towns and or Russell and Beasley or just without the last 2 that's 40-42 points a game. A difference of 25 or so points a game? Certainly wouldn't be surprised them playing would result in turning around 12-14 games.

Making them closer to winning 31 than 10. Maybe not the '96 or '97 Bulls, but the '94 or '95 Bulls? Maybe. 😇

Last edited:

Here's a great problem to have, that has been a long time coming for the Wolves--how are the shots going to be distributed once Russell and Beasley are back in the fold? Will there be some trade movement to balance the roster? Do Nowell and McDaniels still get minutes, have they shown enough to feel confident in moving Beasley for front court help? Heady times, feeling optimistic about these T-Wolves future. And as with others, I'm very happy to see my doubts on Ant begin to be tossed back in my face.

By the way, the T-Wolves will soon (barring unlikely circumstances) climb up to having the third worst record in the league (Pistons and Rockets) with 3-4 teams also easily passable if they can continue playing solid.
Edwards is bringing so much needed energy and buzz to this franchise. He has some "it" to him and I like his moxie. Will be interesting how Edwards, Beasley, KAT and DLo fit on the floor together. In the oft-chance we get the first pick and select Cade Cunningham, DLo becomes a perfect trade target if someone is willing to absorb his contract. Regardless, there is some intrigue with this team. I love it.

Howl Wolves!!

Indeed would be a great problem. If Beasly spends more minutes with the 2nd 5, rather than starting, it will help narrow the number of times they've been outscored. Rubio, despite coming in and getting hurt right away has really helped Towns, Edwards and the starting 5. They don't need another scorer, though it would help some, but they desperately need a defender and distributor with that bunch. Rubio supplies that. Russell and Beasley not so much.

Which brings us back to Russell. Talk was he leaned on Saunders to keep Rubio with the 2nd bunch because he wanted the ball in his hands all the time, not with somebody else's. Would think he'd share it with his buddy Towns, but since they've played together for around 90 minutes, who knows.

Rubio? Without shooters around him his poor shooting is magnified and his distribution skills aren't utilized. They still do need a tough big who can guard the rim. If he can shoot even better! Hell, if they can trade Culver, Davis, Rubio, Okogie, McLaughlin etc. to get one great.

If they could trade Russell even better. With the caveat that we still have no idea how good or bad they'd be with Russell and Towns actually on the court together. Besides who'd want to take Russell unless it meant dumping an even worse contract and /or players back on the Wolves.

All just opinions of course.

No kidding. Me too.

I think Finch is having a huge affect, based on language from Ant, et al.

Top Bottom