2020-2021 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Russell and Beasley accounted for 40pts a game. They don't play Defense? Neither do their replacements. Last night it was actually 76-74 with 2:18 left in the 3rd.

Then over the next 2:36 Suns outscored them 13-2. That's why all the close game losses have become blowouts. They can't shoot and without Russell and Beasley, they can't score. Add the bizarre, hidden NBA rule that it you're not a shooter you don't get a could call at the basket 'cuz they "don't want to bail you out".

Stars sometimes excepted of course.

Don't worry. Towns and Russell won't be in town next year. Or the year after. Nobody with a billion dollars will spend it too keep these stiffs in town. They have only 2-3 thousand or so die-hard supporters left to be angry about it. All the other fans have become ambivalent to them at best.

Mentioned it before but the only excitement coming online for the Wolves is the glee people get for complaining about and or savaging the team and the organization.

Would you like to buy and keep them here?

Taylor, to his credit has been holding out for years now for a buyer that would keep them here. They can't be found. Even the Chinese national has bailed. A cynic would suggest that they are playing and/or being managed to make them so bad that people would scream "just get them OUT of here!"

Would rather have then stay but it doesn't matter. Don't have a billion+ dollars.
Of course it matters. Why would you give up a precious asset? Eventually this will get straightened out and we might as well be the beneficiaries.
So what that it turns out that Rosas is less obviously foolish than David Kahn? We still get to have an NBA team that says "Minnesota" on the jersey. Seattle would kill for all of the losing that we endure.
It's a totally damaged team and organization and it deserves all of the criticism it receives. Big picture is we need a buyer to keep it here and fix everything. At this point, I don't care about wins and losses. I care about a winning transaction.

Of course it matters..

"Would rather have them stay but it doesn't matter. (I) Don't have a billion+ dollars"

The lack of a $1,000,000,000 is why my opinion doesn't matter. Neither does yours.

Last edited:

"Would rather have them stay but it doesn't matter. (I) Don't have a billion+ dollars"

The lack of a $1,000,000,000 is why my opinion doesn't matter. Neither does yours.
The fan base, the potential fan base, the TV ratings and the potential TV ratings do matter to any potential buyer.

The fan base, the potential fan base, the TV ratings and the potential TV ratings do matter to any potential buyer.
As long as Taylor is holding the purse strings, please dear God, don't let this franchise anywhere near Las Vegas. We can wait as long as it takes for a better alternative to this dumpster fire

That's why they can't find a buyer who wants to keep them here.

That's why they can't find a buyer who wants to keep them here.
I didn't know you were privy to the negotiations. I'll choose to be optimistic about how the sale plays out.

per RandBall:

A common thread between the two teams, aside from those dismal records over the last two months? An extreme lack of efficiency stemming in large part from an over-reliance on and under-performance from beyond the three-point line.

The Gophers have attempted 634 three-pointers this season. Only 19 teams (entering play Monday) have tried more this season, and only two of those teams are in major conferences. Minnesota has made just 28.9% of those attempts. Only 11 of the 347 teams playing Division I men's college basketball this season have shot worse from long distance.

The Timberwolves are slightly better from deep: They make 35% of their tries, which is No. 24 out of 30 NBA teams. They attempt 36.2 threes per game, the 12th-most in the league.

Howl Wolves!!

Rubio chimes in:

“We have to build good habits from day one, and I don’t think we are in the right way, to be honest,” Rubio said after the 118-99 loss to Phoenix on Sunday night dropped them to 7-28 on the season. “I can be here and be positive like we’re trying to be and it’s OK. But we have the worst record in the league. We lost way too many games by 20-plus, and I don’t feel like this is building something. It’s hard. You always have to take positive things and of course, we want to get better, but at one point we got to start wanting to change something, and it’s not happening.”

Howl Wolves!!

Going way back in the time machine I guess Chicago really wanted Wiggins in the Butler trade and would have done that trade straight up with no pick swaps. I guess that was shot down at first offer and now here we are.

Going way back in the time machine I guess Chicago really wanted Wiggins in the Butler trade and would have done that trade straight up with no pick swaps. I guess that was shot down at first offer and now here we are.

Would have liked to see Wiggins go to the Bulls myself. Not sure if Wiggins or LaVine was the Bulls main target, but a one of one trade?

Couldn't happen.

Easy to forget but Wiggins signed his big money after the Wolves got Butler.

At the time of the trade, LaVine was making $2.2m Butler was making $16.4m with a $600k trade kicker. Wiggins was making $7.5m. Even with the Bulls open cap space Dunn would probably have to still be included. Guessing that the Bulls, knowing how little Thibs regarded young players, would still have demanded the #7 for #16 pick be included.

Thibs has proven that he can coach with the Knicks. Who were smart not to give him any player personnel control. Because he is David Khan level terrible at it. He not only did that trade swap with Bulls he drafted Dunn and Justin Patton.

Last edited:

Gotta give Jon K at The Athletic some props; even following a grease fire like the Wolves, he puts out some steady quality content. Good article today on Jaden McDaniels and how good he's looked early on

McDaniels becoming a building block for the Wolves
He does put out good content on a tough beat.
It makes no sense that Finch has cut McDaniel's minutes in favor of Okogie and Vando. He should be getting 30 minutes a game.

Gotta give Jon K at The Athletic some props; even following a grease fire like the Wolves, he puts out some steady quality content. Good article today on Jaden McDaniels and how good he's looked early on

McDaniels becoming a building block for the Wolves

Nicely timed story too. Didn't know he had a brother, Jalen, who's on Charlotte's roster. Maybe he'll play against Jaden tonight. He's played in about half of the Hornet's games this year.

He does put out good content on a tough beat.
It makes no sense that Finch has cut McDaniel's minutes in favor of Okogie and Vando. He should be getting 30 minutes a game.

They want to trade Okogie. Not sure what the deal is with Vanderbilt.

How do we get Taylor to move the team to Seattle overnight so we can start over in 5-10 years?

"Kevin Garnett says he is officially out as a potential buyer of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told The Athletic that Garnett was never in.

After Garnett posted on Instagram that he “just got the news that this process of trying to acquire the TWolves is over for me n my group,” Taylor said that neither he nor his representatives ever received any kind of offer from Garnett.

“Kevin never contacted me at all saying that he was interested,” Taylor said in a phone call with The Athletic. “Nor was his name listed on any of the buying groups that asked for financial information to review.”

"Kevin Garnett says he is officially out as a potential buyer of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor told The Athletic that Garnett was never in.

After Garnett posted on Instagram that he “just got the news that this process of trying to acquire the TWolves is over for me n my group,” Taylor said that neither he nor his representatives ever received any kind of offer from Garnett.

“Kevin never contacted me at all saying that he was interested,” Taylor said in a phone call with The Athletic. “Nor was his name listed on any of the buying groups that asked for financial information to review.”

What a shit show. I would not put it past KG to be lying but not sure what the benefit is if he is lying.

What a shit show. I would not put it past KG to be lying but not sure what the benefit is if he is lying.

The story goes that Flip got him to come back and play here by telling him he'd get a shot at buying the team. Taylor had been trying to sell it. Then Steve Ballmer paid $2billion for the Clippers. Then the Bucks were sold for $550million and another $200million for a new arena. After Flip died in 2015 Garnett got very upset with Taylor.

The NBA made it clear that any sale wouldn't be approved unless it was near or above $1billion. Pretty sure that was the reason Garnett got angry with Taylor the first time.

This time guessing he just couldn't get enough money together to cover a billion and/or still keep the team in Minnesota.

Last edited:

I recall reading somewhere that KG trusted one or two unscrupulous fellows with his money. As a result, he might be down to his last $100M. That's just "F the World" money and not "F the Universe" money. That net worth doesn't put him anywhere near a controlling interest in an NBA franchise.

I recall reading somewhere that KG trusted one or two unscrupulous fellows with his money. As a result, he might be down to his last $100M. That's just "F the World" money and not "F the Universe" money. That net worth doesn't put him anywhere near a controlling interest in an NBA franchise.

Yep. That's why he was trying to put a group of investors together to buy the team. He'd get a piece of it, but he also wanted to be, for a better word, the face of the franchise.

I wonder what his market value is.
One 2nd round pick if it is just him. He might have more value as a salary throw in with a bigger deal. In other words....not much.

Would have liked to see Wiggins go to the Bulls myself. Not sure if Wiggins or LaVine was the Bulls main target, but a one of one trade?

Couldn't happen.

Easy to forget but Wiggins signed his big money after the Wolves got Butler.

At the time of the trade, LaVine was making $2.2m Butler was making $16.4m with a $600k trade kicker. Wiggins was making $7.5m. Even with the Bulls open cap space Dunn would probably have to still be included. Guessing that the Bulls, knowing how little Thibs regarded young players, would still have demanded the #7 for #16 pick be included.

Thibs has proven that he can coach with the Knicks. Who were smart not to give him any player personnel control. Because he is David Khan level terrible at it. He not only did that trade swap with Bulls he drafted Dunn and Justin Patton.

Jamal Murphy instead of Dunn and Jarrett Allen instead of Patton would have been great

Top Bottom