2020-2021 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Who knew, hair was the secret to Shaka figuring it out at Texas.

In all seriousness, Texas looks so good. They have grinders on the perimeter and a trio of silly-athletic big guys who make life hell for opposing offensive players.

Texas Tech is awesome too. Curious how long Beard stays there because if I were running one of those blue bloods, he'd be at the top of my 'want' list.

Living in Fargo, I subscribe to this way of thinking as well. The town shuts down when NDSU football plays and the game, for all intents and purposes, is over by the halfway point of the 2nd quarter in most instances. I'm not a Bison fan, but I'll watch other college football teams I don't care about if I think the game is going to be competitive. NDSU football games are unwatchable.
You would be bored if Gopher basketball won 90 of our next 100 games or in football that we had Alabama's record over the last 10 years ? I would be so excited.

Don't ask me why...but I've now seen a few Boise State games. I really cannot believe that they are not yet ranked. Sure...they play in the MWC....but they are completely trouncing their opponents. And they are doing it in style. Really solid shooting and a tough interior presence. Surprisingly good for a team that typically isn't thought of when basketball is talked about.

You would be bored if Gopher basketball won 90 of our next 100 games or in football that we had Alabama's record over the last 10 years ? I would be so excited.

When you put it like that I guess that does seem preposterous. It's so far out of the realm of my imagination...but I'd like to find out how I'd feel about it.

In all seriousness, Texas looks so good. They have grinders on the perimeter and a trio of silly-athletic big guys who make life hell for opposing offensive players.

Texas Tech is awesome too. Curious how long Beard stays there because if I were running one of those blue bloods, he'd be at the top of my 'want' list.
Beard wants to be there at least the next 3 year years. Loves it and has a family situation that makes it necessary. He is like Bennett in that he can name the job but UVA is the last college job for Bennett. Beard is a coaching beast. What will those blue bloods do. Some coaches, most of the best ones built their own program or greatly improved the one they took. Some guys settle in by choice at these cool places like Bob Mckillop at Davidson or Byrd at Belmont. These guys are as good as it gets and turned down so many jobs because they had great lives and great jobs. Life without Media obligations, booster outings, required fundraisers.

Don't ask me why...but I've now seen a few Boise State games. I really cannot believe that they are not yet ranked. Sure...they play in the MWC....but they are completely trouncing their opponents. And they are doing it in style. Really solid shooting and a tough interior presence. Surprisingly good for a team that typically isn't thought of when basketball is talked about.
So many people talk about Leon Rice being such a good coach. That is one tough job. Will have to tune in and check it out.

Sims clanked two free throws with less than a minute remaining and the Horns winning by two. Whoops.

Wasn't MN in on Ramey?

Living in Fargo, I subscribe to this way of thinking as well. The town shuts down when NDSU football plays and the game, for all intents and purposes, is over by the halfway point of the 2nd quarter in most instances. I'm not a Bison fan, but I'll watch other college football teams I don't care about if I think the game is going to be competitive. NDSU football games are unwatchable.
Ha, I'm in Fargo too so that's another good comparison. You're right though the thought of us constantly winning something is like trying to fathom the amount of miles in space. It just isn't something my head is built to handle so I have no idea how to treat it.

I'm so used to cheering for underdog teams I don't know how I'd handle a successful one.

Purdue 11/17 on 3 ptrs. Their best 3 pt shooting in 5 years.
Win at Indiana 81-69. Purdue has won 11 out of last 12 against the Hoosiers.

The Gophers may play more regular season games vs ranked teams this year than Gonzaga does in 3 years. Would need like Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland or jNW to get ranked. But that seems possible.

Well they are 7-1 in their last 8 against ranked teams. 4-0 this year . They have 16 tourney wins just since 2013. They have road wins against great programs.

Well they are 7-1 in their last 8 against ranked teams. 4-0 this year . They have 16 tourney wins just since 2013. They have road wins against great programs.

Ok? I made what I thought was an interesting point. Crazy that the gophers may play 12 ranked games out of 27.

Gonzaga plays 3-4 good teams per year. Then they roll through a weak conference. I think it hurts them and will prevent them from winning a National title this year.

Ok? I made what I thought was an interesting point. Crazy that the gophers may play 12 ranked games out of 27.

Gonzaga plays 3-4 good teams per year. Then they roll through a weak conference. I think it hurts them and will prevent them from winning a National title this year.
It is a interesting point. Not taking a shot at you. Just adding other notes on Gonzaga. I do think that getting to the tourney is easier at Gonzaga than the Big 10 but for a really long time they have played power 6 teams very well and in the last 5 years they would be contending at the top of any conference. It is incredible what Few has done. Give him so much credit for thinking that he could stay their and win it all when he could have taken a easier path and had the UCLA job a long time ago. He thinks they will win one at Gonzaga. The Big 10 is a blood bath no doubt but those bottom 4 are not that good and there may be one elite team. Gophers can rock the 2nd half of the schedule.

Last edited:

It is a interesting point. Not taking a shot at you. Just adding other notes on Gonzaga. I do think that getting to the tourney is easier at Gonzaga than the Big 10 but for a really long time they have played power 6 teams very well and in the last 5 years they would be contending at the top of any conference. It is incredible what Few has done. Give him so much credit for thinking that he could stay their and win it all when he could have taken a easier path and had the UCLA job a long time ago. He thinks they will win one at Gonzaga. The Big 10 is a blood bath no doubt but those bottom 4 are not that good and there may be one elite team. Gophers can rock the 2nd half of the schedule.

I don't think the Big Ten is the end all be all like some do but the 11th best team in the big ten would generally finish top 4 in that conference. Gonzaga should win 30+ games per year, and they do.

I don't think the Big Ten is the end all be all like some do but the 11th best team in the big ten would generally finish top 4 in that conference. Gonzaga should win 30+ games per year, and they do.
I do agree that the 11th best Big 10 team would be top 4 there. Of course i rarely pay attention to teams that are 10th-11th unless it is us. I could care less about the strength of the bottom of the conference because that gets hyped up and the reality as proven by the data that elite teams in power conferences have destroyed those teams. Bottom teams usually get their wins against the other bottom teams, no big deal.

I see Reuvers was Mr. Windex again last night shouldn’t one be able to power up and get a rebound on an opponents missed free throw...

San Diego St vs Utah St coming up on CBS. Brian Dutcher vs Craig Smith.

4 takes on games today.
1.outrageous defense by the Gophers today. Very unselfish on both ends. Huge adjustment on post defense.
2. Ohio State scoring 87 at Illinois without their point guard. No way to call Illinois elite at 9-5 with two straight home losses.
3. Baylor winning at Texas Tech. Great physical team. Better beat Tech now because in the next few seasons Beard will seldom be beat and his table is set.
4. UVA winning by 35 at Clemson in the most lopsided victory by a road team over a ranked team in 27 years by anyone. And that is 13 in a row in the ACC for UVA just in case the poster the other day that posted about San Diego State having had 13 in a row and wondered if anyone had done that.
Finally, Gopher players now get it that you have to play lock down defense if you want any chance to be great.

San Diego St vs Utah St coming up on CBS. Brian Dutcher vs Craig Smith.
Utah State with the win and Colorado State looking very good as the 2nd best team in the Mountain W.

4 takes on games today.
1.outrageous defense by the Gophers today. Very unselfish on both ends. Huge adjustment on post defense.
2. Ohio State scoring 87 at Illinois without their point guard. No way to call Illinois elite at 9-5 with two straight home losses.
3. Baylor winning at Texas Tech. Great physical team. Better beat Tech now because in the next few seasons Beard will seldom be beat and his table is set.
4. UVA winning by 35 at Clemson in the most lopsided victory by a road team over a ranked team in 27 years by anyone. And that is 13 in a row in the ACC for UVA just in case the poster the other day that posted about San Diego State having had 13 in a row and wondered if anyone had done that.
Finally, Gopher players now get it that you have to play lock down defense if you want any chance to be great.

Regarding # 4: the conversation was regarding 13 straight conference road wins, which is what Dutcher has at SDSU. UVA has 6 or 7, its hard to determine because I have been drinking most of the day and am on my phone.
I do agree with the rest of your post.

Top Bottom