2018 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Wow, I didn't expect to see this headline:

Bleacher Report: Vikings QB Kirk Cousins Already Looking Like an $84 Million Flop

This is just meant as a question. It's not meant to be acidic or nasty. Just a question...

Is Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins showing he's worth $28 million a year? That he's worth $84 million in guaranteed cash? Is that the kind of player anyone saw when they watched him Sunday night?

The statistics from Cousins' game against the Saints will look respectable in retrospect. He was 31-of-41 for 359 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. The numbers were roughly in line with what his numbers looked like his last few years in Washington.

But so was the result. In what should have been a marquee game between two of the NFC's best, the Saints, playing on the road, won fairly easily. The final score was 30-20, but that last touchdown for Cousins and the Vikings came when the game was essentially out of hand.

For most of the game, Cousins looked out of his element. And this shouldn't be the case. He was going against the Saints defense. Swiss cheese looks at the Saints defense and says, "What's up, Twin?"

Cousins is paid the kind of money he's paid for moments like these. To stare down Drew Brees. To win a big game at home. To transform the season.

Instead, the best you can say is the Vikings aren't in bad shape. They're 4-3-1 and in a division in which no one's running away. And like his team, Cousins hasn't played poorly but hasn't been great.

But you pay $84 million for great.

He's had moments of greatness. A few, at least. But just moments. Fleeting, not transformative.

In many ways, he's the same Cousins we saw in Washington—and frankly that's shocking to say, because I thought we'd see a different Cousins. With all the weapons available to him in Minnesota—Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs—I thought we'd see him explode this season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Skol Vikes!!

He's 4th in completion percentage, 5th in passing yards/game, 6th in passing TDs, and 9th in QB rating - all while absorbing the 3rd-most sacks of any QB in the league. Yes, this is a tremendously bad take.

He's 4th in completion percentage, 5th in passing yards/game, 6th in passing TDs, and 9th in QB rating - all while absorbing the 3rd-most sacks of any QB in the league. Yes, this is a tremendously bad take.

Agreed, the whole article is really bad.

When Cousins was pick-sixed by the Saints on Sunday, maybe you could blame his receiver for stopping his route short. But that ball should have never been thrown. It was the kind of throw you don't see Aaron Rodgers make, because Aaron Rodgers is careful with the football.

Except against the Bears when he should have thrown a pick 6 late in the game that would have lost the game for them? The Bears DB dropped the easiest INT he would ever have. The Saints DB didn't last night.

Last night pretty much cements that we will not get a bye. I think we are still the most likely team to win the Division as long as we take care of business against the Bears and at home against GB. The Packers have bigger flaws than we do. Detroit is still Detroit. But we will have to win 2 road games in the play-offs. 9-6-1 or 10-5-1 will get it done.

I'm still bullish on this team for next year. Get Nick Easton back and hire a permanent OL coach. Add a couple good O linemen in the off season. Second full season for Cousins and DePhilippo. Looking for a huge bounce-back year next year.

Stole my post! This O line isn't championship caliber, and until they get it fixed, the best efforts of all the other remarkable players on the team aren't going to be enough. Even if they get into the playoffs, they can't run the ball or protect the quarterback well enough to advance.

Riley Reiff - 1st round, Detroit
Tom Compton - 6th round, Washington
Pat Elflein - 3rd round, Vikings
Brett Jones - 2nd round, CFL
Mike Remmers - UFA
Danny Isidora - 5th round, Vikings
Rashod Hill - UFA
Brian O'Neill - 2nd round, Vikings

1 2nd round pick, 1 3rd round pick and 1 5th round pick by the Vikings

Saints:

Terron Armstead - 3rd round, Saints
Jermon Bushrod - 4th round, Saints
Andrus Peat - 1st round, Saints
Chaz Green - 3rd round, Dallas
Max Unger - 2nd round, Seattle
Cameron Tom - UFA
Will Clapp - 7th round, Saints
Larry Warford - 3rd round, Detroit
Ryan Ramczyk - 1st round, Saints
Michael Ola - UFA

I wasn't expecting to win this game without Rhodes and Barr and we didn't have any major injuries in this game. I told myself before the game that I would be content to go 1-1 against the Saints and Lions with no more injuries before the bye. Then we should get Barr, Rhodes, Dalvin, Reiff, Compton and Sendejo back after the bye and Everson should hopefully be back in the swing of things. If we can beat the Lions this week with no more injuries then I think we'll be sitting pretty for the final 7 games after the bye.

The reasons why we lost ended up being much different than what i was expecting however. Thought Brees would torch Holton Hill and Alexander which didn't happen. Instead, two of our most dependable players, Diggs and Theilen ended up costing us.

On balance, I'm positive on DeFilippo - but he makes some baffling and frankly, flat-out stupid play calls. I'm thinking in particular from yesterday:

- On the first TD; 1st and goal from the 1, and you run ONCE in four plays (with C.J. Ham, nonetheless)! Luckily, Diggs bailed us out with a brilliant catch.
- 2nd and 25, you run a fullback draw with, again, C.J. freakin' Ham. The guy has two carries all year long (something like 9 for his career) going into the game, and you give it to him twice in a game against NFC elite? Nothing against a draw on 2nd and 25 (your odds of converting and getting 25 yards in 2 plays is low anyway), but why C.J. Ham? Do you like giving yourself zero chance? Predictably, he goes for 1 yard and we have essentially zero chance on 3rd and 24.
- On the first second half possession; 4th and 1, and you pass? Why? Dear God, why? And not only do you pass, but you go empty backfield and give zero threat of running the ball, allowing the defense to go full cover and full pass rush?

He really seems like the type that thinks it's brilliant to go way off-board and pick something that no one would ever think of, trying to "outsmart" the other guy. Instead, he does things like this and comes across as a real doofus. He needs to eliminate this kind of BS and he's set up for real success here and when he (almost certainly) eventually gets a head coaching job.

All the negatives aside, if Theilen doesn't fumble, there's a 60% chance we win that game.

On balance, I'm positive on DeFilippo - but he makes some baffling and frankly, flat-out stupid play calls. I'm thinking in particular from yesterday:

- On the first TD; 1st and goal from the 1, and you run ONCE in four plays (with C.J. Ham, nonetheless)! Luckily, Diggs bailed us out with a brilliant catch.
- 2nd and 25, you run a fullback draw with, again, C.J. freakin' Ham. The guy has two carries all year long (something like 9 for his career) going into the game, and you give it to him twice in a game against NFC elite? Nothing against a draw on 2nd and 25 (your odds of converting and getting 25 yards in 2 plays is low anyway), but why C.J. Ham? Do you like giving yourself zero chance? Predictably, he goes for 1 yard and we have essentially zero chance on 3rd and 24.
- On the first second half possession; 4th and 1, and you pass? Why? Dear God, why? And not only do you pass, but you go empty backfield and give zero threat of running the ball, allowing the defense to go full cover and full pass rush?

He really seems like the type that thinks it's brilliant to go way off-board and pick something that no one would ever think of, trying to "outsmart" the other guy. Instead, he does things like this and comes across as a real doofus. He needs to eliminate this kind of BS and he's set up for real success here and when he (almost certainly) eventually gets a head coaching job.
I agree with every one of these points. In particular, when they lined up on that 4th and one in the 2nd half - and before they snapped it with 5 wide - I said, no threat of run, don't like this.

I agree with every one of these points. In particular, when they lined up on that 4th and one in the 2nd half - and before they snapped it with 5 wide - I said, no threat of run, don't like this.

I was expecting a draw by Cousins. Didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also add the last drive to this list. There was no hurry up, then ran a QB sneak which cost even more time.

The Packers traded away Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, the Lions traded away Golden Tate. Weird moves in my opinion for teams that are still well in the hunt for the division.

The Packers traded away Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, the Lions traded away Golden Tate. Weird moves in my opinion for teams that are still well in the hunt for the division.

The Lions are not a play-off team. Surprised the Packers are selling though. McCarthy is toast.

Wow, I didn't expect to see this headline:

Bleacher Report: Vikings QB Kirk Cousins Already Looking Like an $84 Million Flop

Skol Vikes!!

The thing about Cousins is this: can he be more than just a talented athlete; can he be a LEADER? That is yet unproven. By the lackadaisical, low-emotion play in a bunch of these early games, and by the complete lack of urgency on the last scoring drive Sunday night, I definitely question his leadership. He's no 2009 Brett Favre, that's for certain. His skills might be a wash with the 2009 Favre, but in leadership he's miles behind.

The thing about Cousins is this: can he be more than just a talented athlete; can he be a LEADER? That is yet unproven. By the lackadaisical, low-emotion play in a bunch of these early games, and by the complete lack of urgency on the last scoring drive Sunday night, I definitely question his leadership. He's no 2009 Brett Favre, that's for certain. His skills might be a wash with the 2009 Favre, but in leadership he's miles behind.

Looks like leadership to me

Great, great read.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

STrib: Vikings running back Dalvin Cook likely to play against Lions, sources say

Running back Dalvin Cook is listed questionable to play Sunday against the Lions, but sources told the Star Tribune on Friday that the Vikings’ plan is to return him to the field in a limited role.

Cook, who has missed five games because of a lingering hamstring injury, practiced all week and is expected to play 15 to 20 snaps against Detroit barring a setback during pregame warmups.

The Vikings had the same plan heading into the Oct. 14 game against Arizona, but Cook did not play after going through warmups.

The Vikings’ upcoming Week 10 bye is a factor in the decision, per head coach Mike Zimmer.

“Everything is part of the decision,” Zimmer said. “But if guys can play, they play. That’s just how we do it around here. So, we’re not going to worry about six weeks down the road or anything like that.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...-to-play-against-lions-sources-say/499468991/

Skol Vikes!!

Great, great read.

Thanks for the link.

Looking forward to having my son read that after a soul crushing loss tonight. He needs an uplifting diversion.

One very minor quibble...when the writer referred to the scouting service as “Blesto”. It was first the LESTO, Lions Eagles Stealers Talent Organization. Became BLESTO when the bears joined the organization and was shortly the BLESTO-V when the Vikings joined.

Like I said, minor quibble.

Hunter and our D-line were incredible today - 10 sacks!!! It was also nice seeing Cook back in action and we got a glimpse of his amazing speed.

Skol Vikes!!

Hunter and our D-line were incredible today - 10 sacks!!! It was also nice seeing Cook back in action and we got a glimpse of his amazing speed.

Skol Vikes!!

His stats today were very Adrian Peterson like. 9 carries for 19 yards, one for 70.

CAR - YDS- AVE- LONG
Dalvin Cook 10 89 8.9 70

With Saints win today, I think it shows the NFC is up for grabs. Vikings handed the Saints the game. I thought the Rams would kill them. I was wrong.

Lets go Pats tonight!

With Saints win today, I think it shows the NFC is up for grabs. Vikings handed the Saints the game. I thought the Rams would kill them. I was wrong.

Lets go Pats tonight!

Last night's Packer game was eerily similar to the Vikings' loss to the Saints: one critical fumble at the wrong time turned the game around 180 degrees.

per Shama:

The NFL is moving the Vikings-Bears game November 18 in Chicago from a start time of noon to 7:20 p.m. The game will be telecast by NBC instead of Fox as originally scheduled.

The game’s winner could take a significant step toward winning the NFC North Division title. Pittsburgh at Jacksonville had originally been scheduled for the nationally televised 7:20 p.m. slot.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Skol Vikes!!

Top Bottom