2015 with Mitcheroo as starting QB the gophs won't be better than 2014

wait!what?

Reaction score
look at the most recent threads here in GH. wis coaches leaving..Gary Patterson wants tourney expanded...Joepa statue...who cares about this stuff? let's get back to what matters Gopher football.

its offseason so it is open season- Mitcheroo never did enough in the pasisng game to convince me that this team will improve with him under center in 2015.

Thanks for your opinion. I wholeheartedly disagree.

Good thing there's at least a dozen games next year to find out who's right.

Gophers will be better even if Mitch isn't. He will be a little bit better though.

Thanks for your opinion. I wholeheartedly disagree.

Good thing there's at least a dozen games next year to find out who's right.

+1. You look at some of the games when he was healthy and he did very well. 9 wins this season.

He's has big bodies to throw to, plus I expect him to be better than the last two seasons with that much more experience.

I am excited about the potential offensive production with the slew of RBs in the stable. IMHO, the key to success lie with the OL & the blocking schemes to either allow Mitch that extra half second time to throw or spring the RBs loose.

Who knows, this may Bradley Edwards' year to finally spring a game busting run in B1G play.

So cheer up. It may not be as bad as you think.

since we're all putting our opinions out there, they win at least 9 and will provide a major upset...and Mitch will be the MVP of that game

look at the most recent threads here in GH. wis coaches leaving..Gary Patterson wants tourney expanded...Joepa statue...who cares about this stuff? let's get back to what matters Gopher football.

its offseason so it is open season- Mitcheroo never did enough in the pasisng game to convince me that this team will improve with him under center in 2015.

I'll say it again. Mitch can be the best Gopher quarterback since Sandy Stephens. Time will tell but this is a little more positive
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_27242586/gophers-football-qb-mitch-leidner-takes-huge-step

Hard to say. Asad Abdul-Khaliq made amazing progress year to year, with a great senior season. Adam Weber didn't - stayed a little above 50%. If Mitch is going to improve, this should be the year that shows it. I'm more worried about replacing a running back with a huge number of carries over two years with players with very little game time. Will be happy with six wins, regular season, given the schedule.

I'll blow your mind: Mitch has the best QBR of any MN QB since Cupito.

He has shown what he can do when he's in the zone. I predict the good games will start to outnumber the bad games. It's amazing what repetition and experience will do for confidence. He's learning to get rid of the ball and throw it away or find the check down.

He's going to have some big, talented targets to chuck it to this year that will attack the ball with two hands. He is a tough runner with the heart of a lion. He's going to have a talented offensive line and possibly the most athletic and dynamic RB this team has had in decades in Jeff Jones, with several talented options. He has a good fullback coming back.

Kill knows what he has. You think he's blowing smoke when he says we're going to be better despite losing some good players? Not his MO.

Can you cut it out with the Mitcheroo sh1t? He's an adult, not a 3rd-grader.

I'll blow your mind: Mitch has the best QBR of any MN QB since Cupito.

He has shown what he can do when he's in the zone. I predict the good games will start to outnumber the bad games. It's amazing what repetition and experience will do for confidence. He's learning to get rid of the ball and throw it away or find the check down.

He's going to have some big, talented targets to chuck it to this year that will attack the ball with two hands. He is a tough runner with the heart of a lion. He's going to have a talented offensive line and possibly the most athletic and dynamic RB this team has had in decades in Jeff Jones, with several talented options. He has a good fullback coming back.

Kill knows what he has. You think he's blowing smoke when he says we're going to be better despite losing some good players? Not his MO.

Plus Claeys has said the defense will be better too in addition to Kill saying the O will be better. I believe both of them.

If Leidner can continue showing the accuracy (21-31!) he showed in the bowl game against a very good defense, in my opinion he's got the capability to become a really, really good quarterback. He was pretty much dead-on accurate in that game, despite the fact he was facing a relentless pass rush which our OL just simply couldn't handle in the second half. It's all about progression for young QB's, and if that bowl game was any kind of indication of the type of progress he's making, he'll be fine and we'll be fine, in fact we'll probably be pretty damn good.

If Leidner can continue showing the accuracy (21-31!) he showed in the bowl game against a very good defense, in my opinion he's got the capability to become a really, really good quarterback. He was pretty much dead-on accurate in that game, despite the fact he was facing a relentless pass rush which our OL just simply couldn't handle in the second half. It's all about progression for young QB's, and if that bowl game was any kind of indication of the type of progress he's making, he'll be fine and we'll be fine, in fact we'll probably be pretty damn good.

+1. Couldn't agree more.

Hard to say. Asad Abdul-Khaliq made amazing progress year to year, with a great senior season. Adam Weber didn't - stayed a little above 50%. If Mitch is going to improve, this should be the year that shows it. I'm more worried about replacing a running back with a huge number of carries over two years with players with very little game time. Will be happy with six wins, regular season, given the schedule.

I bet Patriots fans were discouraged to have to replace a great with a 5th rounder and I think we all know how that turned out. I am excited to unleash our backs. David Cobb was great but we have some serious backups at the ready.

Mitch had the 7th highest rates QBR game of the season, amongst all FBS QBs for 2014. It was an absurd 99.5 or similar during the demolition of Iowa. Nobody has forgotten that, I'm sure. He had some really nice performances to go along with the occasional Wisconsin.

To be fair, his receivers pumped up his numbers with YAH.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather talk about new topics, whether they are Gopher related or not, than this beaten to death topic.

Mitch had the 7th highest rates QBR game of the season, amongst all FBS QBs for 2014. It was an absurd 99.5 or similar during the demolition of Iowa. Nobody has forgotten that, I'm sure. He had some really nice performances to go along with the occasional Wisconsin.

Good point. I think most of us would agree that Leidner should be improved next year. But the improvement will probably be incremental. And as you pointed out, he's still going to have the occasional klunker. Especially when we play a good defense that can stuff our running game and put up a constant pass rush.

I don't think anyone would predict that Leidner will be in the top 3 for BT QB's in 2015. Maybe not even the top 5. Heck, even the biggest Kool-aid drinkers on this board would probably trade Leidner for ANY of Ohio State's 3 quarterbacks. But he's the horse we're riding this year, so we need to hope for the best. As others have pointed out, Leidner would best be served by developing multiple threats for him to throw to. Our passing game would have been abysmal without Williams.

I think a lot of the frustration on this board is that after 4 years we haven't seen the emergence of a QB who wows us with his potential, like a Harnisch. Or when the 3rd string QB from tOSU steps in and wins a national championship. Or our defense gets lit up by Wiscy's backup. It's frustrating that Kill hasn't been able to recruit that sort of kid yet. Maybe one of the guys he's recruited in the last year or two will surprise us, but we haven't seen it yet. My concern is that over the past 10-20 years, having the #1 QB recruit out of Minnesota hasn't taken us to the next level. It's not fair to criticize Leidner for that. He is what he is, and overall he's done well. But if we are going to contend for a BT title we're going to have to take it up a level. The road to Pasadena goes through Wisconsin & Ohio State, and that's where Leidner's come up short

The OSU QBs benefit from WRs that go get the ball. Look at their last 3 games. QB chucks it up for grabs on numerous occasions and Devin Smith and others come down with it. Pretty amazing and pretty nice when that happens, over and over and over again.

Our WRs were wither too short (Maye), terrible hands and body control (Jones), or hurt and bad hands (Wolitarsky).

We absolutely need Anywanyu, Gibson, Gentry, holland, Gant, to grow up quick. We need Wolitarsky to get over his dropsies because I think he's better than that and he has the other tools. We need Maye to continue to make plays and get favorable matchups. It would be fantastic if Edwards could catch, but I'm not sure if it's nerves or he just doesn't have it.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather talk about new topics, whether they are Gopher related or not, than this beaten to death topic.

I know your type; you like to talk about the weather. Polar Vortex is getting annoying.

Refreshing QB topic - Mitch's back-up. Croft, Perra or Streveler? Why?

I know your type; you like to talk about the weather. Polar Vortex is getting annoying.

Perra is the backup QB, but Streveler plays more, they have packages for him.

Depends. I think I will wait until I see some of spring ball to decide.

But, right now, just for conversations sake, I would have to say Streveler with Perra a very close 2nd to being back-up.

Top Bottom