2014 Early Bird Preview

Look - I'm a Gopher fan, and I can't stand Wisconsin - but I think it's ridiculous that Gopher fans are on here talking smack about WI. Just to remind you - The Badgers have won 10 games in a row and 17 of 19 in the "rivalry."

A friendly suggestion: how about waiting until the Gophs actually win a game over WI to talk smack.

Or, to put it another way, in a typical year, roughly 4-million babies are born in the US. that means approximately 40-million kids are walking around who were not alive the last time the Gophs won a FB game over WI.

I'm happy the Gophs had a good season, but I will wait to talk smack until the Pig and the Axe are in the Gophers trophy case again.

What's the fun of a rivalry if you can't talk a little trash from time to time? I get what you're saying, and some people maybe go a little too far, but that's what the rivalry is all about in my opinion.

You can add Robert Smith to that list as well. Not in the same class as the three above but still a very good player that retired early.

True. He was a really good player, and wicked intelligent too.

I'll never forget watching PBS one evening back in 2008, and there came a special called 'Seeing in the Dark', which profiled amateur astronomers (and I am a huge and massive geek for astronomy, but unfortunately have nowhere near the brain wattage required to even come close to actually understanding the vastness that subject), and there was Robert Smith, not as stud athlete and former NFL star, but as serious amateur astronomer, and with his intellectual curiosity on formidably full display. It was awesome. He was awesome. Such a cool guy, and so bloody fricken smart, I'm glad he walked away when he did.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you can't get a degree once you turn pro

and i said this at what point? the talk was that his parents wanted him to come back, but some people were trying to convince them the millions of dollars were the way to go. personally i think he's stupid to come back. but here's what he said:

After talking it over with my family and my coaches, I have decided to come back next year," Gordon said in a release. "I love the University of Wisconsin and feel that there is still a lot of room for growth. Academically, another year in school will help me get closer to completing my degree and on the field I hope to help my team get back the Big Ten championship.

Top Bottom