2. Alabama
3. Auburn

Big Ten teams:
6. Michigan State
8. Ohio State
24. Minnesota
Strengths:
Running Game / Offensive Line

The Gophers have figured out the Big Ten formula...running with the pigskin. This is a different offensive identity than most people are used to seeing based on a great deal of shifting and men in motion. 1,000-yard rusher David Cobb heads a group of tailbacks that joins forces with a dual quarterback rushing attack. With all of the blockers up front also back in the fold this has the makings to be one of the big surprise teams of 2014.

Interesting. Next year is going to be a blast.

You realize if that were to hold true we would be playing in the Big Ten Championship game against either Mich St or Ohio St.

"When looking for a surprise this year keep an eye on Minnesota. After an 8-4 regular season where running the ball was clearly the prime directive, this group has a sturdy offensive line coming back along with a ton of rushing weapons. The passing game seems to have improved a little in the later stages of 2013. If that part of the formula continues to develop Minnesota can make some noise. "

They have us ranked above Wisconsin? Ummm, what?

They have us ranked above Wisconsin? Ummm, what?

Wisconsin loses their entire starting front 7, their best DB, their top 2 RBs assuming Gordon goes pro, their top 2 recievers where there is a huge drop off production after those 2 and an all american O-lineman

Wisconsin loses their entire starting front 7, their best DB, their top 2 RBs assuming Gordon goes pro, their top 2 recievers where there is a huge drop off production after those 2 and an all american O-lineman

Gordon isn't going pro. Andersen (purposefully?) limited his carries enough in the 2nd half of the season that he won't enter this year. I think a big reason why they lost the Penn State game was that they didn't go to Gordon early and often to build a lead. Instead they limited his carries and got down which forced them to try to play catch up.

Gordon isn't going pro. Andersen (purposefully?) limited his carries enough in the 2nd half of the season that he won't enter this year. I think a big reason why they lost the Penn State game was that they didn't go to Gordon early and often to build a lead. Instead they limited his carries and got down which forced them to try to play catch up.

many sites have Gordon as the #1 eligible back for the draft despite him getting less carries in the second half of the season, and Gordon has said that he will seek a grade from the NFL draft advisory board and then make his decision

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014RB.php

http://sportsagentblog.com/2013/12/19/2014-nfl-draft-top-5-at-every-position/

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-RBs-2014-Draft.asp

http://www.footballnation.com/content/nfl-draft-2014-the-top-5-running-back-prospects/27151/

since when does limiting your carries dictate when you can go pro? you don't get drafted at RB based upon your total yards, you get drafted based upon your workouts, analysis of your vision, and your health. if anything, the fewer carries will boost his stock because he's taken less of a beating (part of the reason why Montee Ball dropped)

since when does limiting your carries dictate when you can go pro? you don't get drafted at RB based upon your total yards, you get drafted based upon your workouts, analysis of your vision, and your health. if anything, the fewer carries will boost his stock because he's taken less of a beating (part of the reason why Montee Ball dropped)

He wanted to limit his hype and exposure in hopes of keeping him out of the 1st/2nd rounds. Hopefully it didn't work, nothing would make me happier than to see Gordon go pro.

True, the losses will be substantial; 3 of the top 4 TE's on the depth chart, the top 3 receivers (since White caught the 3rd most passes), along with 7 starters on defense as well as 2 key defensive backups.

HOWEVER....

Their offense will be strong enough to overcome a lot of the defensive losses, along with another AMAZINGLY generous and fortunate schedule. Holy crap. Yes, they'll start with a tough game on a neutral field against LSU. Wisky's most difficult conference game could very well be a road game at Iowa. Yet again, they miss Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State.

Wow.

He wanted to limit his hype and exposure in hopes of keeping him out of the 1st/2nd rounds. Hopefully it didn't work, nothing would make me happier than to see Gordon go pro.

it really won't make a difference. In the sample size seen, he looks extremely explosive and has excellent vision. Plus he has prototypical RB size at the NFL level. i'd say if he gets a 1st or 2nd round grade, he'll leave. IMO, he'd be foolish to come back for another year. The lifetime of an NFL RB gets smaller and smaller and he should make his money while he can. As an RB, it's getting harder and harder to get a top tier grade, look at Ball. He got a 3rd round grade and stayed a year to move up to 2nd round. The difference in money really isn't worth it at that point. It's pretty rare air for an RB to be taken in the 1st now. All those things combined lead me to believe Gordon will leave. But I guess we shall see

RB's like Gordon, Abdullah, etc. should always go pro IMO. The risk of injury is too great, and a RB only has so many years to make good money before they wear down.

still makes zero sense to me. class is pretty weak and he's viewed as the #1. mom and pops must've convinced him to get his degree

He probably wants to be the man and I'm sure Andersen told him he'd be a Heisman candidate etc. if he returns. They need him to comeback since they are losing so much. I still stand by my opinion that if Andersen would have given him more carries this year he probably would have entered the draft. He better hope he doesn't get injured.

The irony is that he personally viewed Ball's draft status plummet by staying a year too long, and now he's repeating the same mistake. Wisconsin and Gordon will both be markedly worse next year, and his draft stock will similarly nosedive. Oh well - no one ever accused a Badger of being intelligent.

The irony is that he personally viewed Ball's draft status plummet by staying a year too long, and now he's repeating the same mistake. Wisconsin and Gordon will both be markedly worse next year, and his draft stock will similarly nosedive. Oh well - no one ever accused a Badger of being intelligent.

Ball's junior year he received a 3rd/4th round grade. He was drafted after his senior year in the 2nd round.

Ball's junior year he received a 3rd/4th round grade. He was drafted after his senior year in the 2nd round.

My mistake. Maybe Gordon isn't as stupid as I assumed.

Good thing we have our resident Badger fan on hand for all Badger-related corrections.

My mistake. Maybe Gordon isn't as stupid as I assumed.

Good thing we have our resident Badger fan on hand for all Badger-related corrections.

It's called taking twenty seconds to google it and find the right answer instead of the answer that fits your own fandom.

He probably wants to be the man and I'm sure Andersen told him he'd be a Heisman candidate etc. if he returns. They need him to comeback since they are losing so much. I still stand by my opinion that if Andersen would have given him more carries this year he probably would have entered the draft. He better hope he doesn't get injured.

If you do live in Madison then you know what your are saying is completely false. He got benched for fumbling and then in the Minny game he fumbled again on the first play. Good coaches often do something like this to emphasize ball security. And your comments about the Heisman are just funny. Coach A is both a good guy and a good coach. But, given our personnel losses next year and Minny's improvement the Gophers could well win back the Ax. However, I don't believe we will fall too far and we will be back soon because he is recruiting well.

If you do live in Madison then you know what your are saying is completely false. He got benched for fumbling and then in the Minny game he fumbled again on the first play. Good coaches often do something like this to emphasize ball security. And your comments about the Heisman are just funny. Coach A is both a good guy and a good coach. But, given our personnel losses next year and Minny's improvement the Gophers could well win back the Ax. However, I don't believe we will fall too far and we will be back soon because he is recruiting well.

yeah so funny given gordon's comments regarding the Heisman.

Gordon said he plans to make his decision after the bowl game, as former teammate Montee Ball did after the 2012 Rose Bowl.

He grinned when asked about the prospect of making a run at the Heisman next season.

"If I stay I'll be a contender," he said.

It's called taking twenty seconds to google it and find the right answer instead of the answer that fits your own fandom.

Yes, I'm sure you read my post, Googled his 2012 draft status, and then Googled his actual 2013 draft position, all in the span of 3 minutes or less. Sure you did. Sure you didn't know that from memory and weren't waiting intently to correct any perceived wrong against a member of your beloved squad.

Yes, I'm sure you read my post, Googled his 2012 draft status, and then Googled his actual 2013 draft position, all in the span of 3 minutes or less. Sure you did. Sure you didn't know that from memory and weren't waiting intently to correct any perceived wrong against a member of your beloved squad.

I googled Montee Ball returns. It took me to an ESPN Big Ten Blog article http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7429071/montee-ball-wisconsin-badgers-returning-senior-season. It says there he got a third round grade. I watched the draft last year and remember him going in the 2nd. If this is the most improbable thing to you it's shocking.

No, the most improbable thing is that you think anyone here isn't certain that you're a Badger fan.

Again, because I don't spew sulfur in their direction I'm a fan of their team? Because I follow all B1G teams very closely I'm a fan of their team? Listen, if you hate any team/university so much you really need to get your priorities straight. Seriously, get yourself some other hobbies because this one isn't beneficial to you.

Every Badger fan I know thought Andersen was limiting Gordon's carries to keep him out of the draft. A secondary reason was to give the elder RB (White) the lion's share of carries so that he could improve his draft stock. Everyone who watched the Badgers this year knows Gordon was their best offensive threat so there was no reason to limit his carries the way GA did.

Top Bottom