2011 Starting D

Shielder

Reaction score
I know the defense is taking it's lumps this year, but I honestly believe with more playing time they'll become an upper tier defense in the Big Ten. People keep asking why Brewster's 3 & 4 star recruits aren't producing, I say it's because they are mostly freshman and sophs. You can judge Brewster's coaching after 3.5 years, but I say it's a little bit early to judge his recruiting. Whoever coaches this team next year will have a strong D.

RDE -- Hageman So or Jacobs Sr
RT -- Kirksey Sr
LT -- Edwards Sr
LDE -- Whilhite Jr
SLB -- Rallis Jr, Reeves Jr
MLB -- Beal So
WLB -- Cooper Jr, Tinsley Sr
CB -- Carter Jr
CB -- Henderson Jr, Vereen So or Bouie Fr
FS -- Lewis Sr or Watkins So
SS -- Manuel So

You also have KGM, Garin, Simpson & Singleton

I am pretty sure that there will be some major changes going into next season. I actually kind of hope we employ a 3-4 next season, but it is probably unlikely. I actually think it would fit our roster pretty well.

But, I do think there will be a couple for sure changes. First, I am almost certain that Cooper will be moved to SS. It also wouldn't surprise me to see one of our DE's be moved to the middle, and one of our quicker young LBs being moved up to DE (Mitchell). This was discussed in a thread earlier this week.

Just for the fun of it, think of our team in a 3-4, our d-lineman are much more suited to that if you ask me.

DE: Hageman / KGM
NT: Edwards / Ferguson
DE: Kirksey / Jacobs
OLB: Tinsley / Garin
ILB: Beal / Hill
ILB: Rallis / Grant
OLB: Reeves / Wilhite / Mitchell
CB: Carter / Henderson
CB: Vereen / Boiue
SS: Cooper / C. Lewis
FS: Manuel / Watkins

*Obviously guys like Garin and Wilhite would be more "blitzers" like Clay Mathews, Kevin Greene, etc. I think what makes it fit our roster the best is that this current group of LBs can kind of play everywhere. Tinsley is something between a SLB and an ILB, Hill can play either spot, Reeves can play either spot and I think Rallis can play either spot as well. That's important for a 3-4 because it is much less set stone where on the field you are going to be playing , it's much more of a surprise.

I'm really not adovcating for anything in particular as it was talked abotu in another thread, every scheme can win. I was just pointing out that I thought our current roster might better fit a 3-4 blitzing type scheme.

Note the lack of new defensive linemen

It seems the team only wants to recruit linemen on the defense every other year. I think that is a mistake. Bring in at least two beasts for the middle every year, 2 mlb, 2-3 outside lb, 3-4 corners or safeties. In other words of the 20 recruits, get at least half and maybe one more for defense. Defense wins field position more than special teams. We recruit for offense too heavily, leaving mismatches. This is another year when we are recruiting poorly on the defensive line. We need to land some 3-4 star lineman every year. Recruit for balance and position.

I think we've been bringing in two pretty consistently every year, even three. Not yet this year, but every other year so far.

2010 near as I can tell 13 of the 26 were defense recruits.
2009 10 of the 20 were also, a few no shows.
2008 18 of the 26 were slated for D as well.

I think quite clearly Brew is very defensive minded when it comes to recruiting.

Perception doesn't always equal fact.

It is puzzling why the '10 D isn't gelling. I guess it could happen anytime. They play flat footed (literally) and are still thinking (slow reacting). It is driving me nuts! (Ok maybe too late for that)

I am pretty sure that there will be some major changes going into next season. I actually kind of hope we employ a 3-4 next season, but it is probably unlikely. I actually think it would fit our roster pretty well.

But, I do think there will be a couple for sure changes. First, I am almost certain that Cooper will be moved to SS. It also wouldn't surprise me to see one of our DE's be moved to the middle, and one of our quicker young LBs being moved up to DE (Mitchell). This was discussed in a thread earlier this week.

Just for the fun of it, think of our team in a 3-4, our d-lineman are much more suited to that if you ask me.

*Obviously guys like Garin and Wilhite would be more "blitzers" like Clay Mathews, Kevin Greene, etc. I think what makes it fit our roster the best is that this current group of LBs can kind of play everywhere. Tinsley is something between a SLB and an ILB, Hill can play either spot, Reeves can play either spot and I think Rallis can play either spot as well. That's important for a 3-4 because it is much less set stone where on the field you are going to be playing , it's much more of a surprise.

I'm really not adovcating for anything in particular as it was talked abotu in another thread, every scheme can win. I was just pointing out that I thought our current roster might better fit a 3-4 blitzing type scheme.

I like that. I actually like anything that doesn't have Lewis on the field.

I know the defense is taking it's lumps this year, but I honestly believe with more playing time they'll become an upper tier defense in the Big Ten. People keep asking why Brewster's 3 & 4 star recruits aren't producing, I say it's because they are mostly freshman and sophs. You can judge Brewster's coaching after 3.5 years, but I say it's a little bit early to judge his recruiting. Whoever coaches this team next year will have a strong D.

RT -- Kirksey Sr
LT -- Edwards Sr
LDE -- Whilhite Jr
MLB -- Beal So
CB -- Carter Jr
SS -- Manuel So

this is only if these guys stick around with a new coach. i wouldnt be surprised to see vereen/hageman/lewis/watkins/manuel decide to look into a transfer!

these guys came to take over after the rebuild, brew failed, so why stick around for another rebuild?

im really nervous about firing brew! if we dont sign a homerun replacement we could lose half of our team, or at least a bunch of key components for the future.

this is only if these guys stick around with a new coach. i wouldnt be surprised to see vereen/hageman/lewis/watkins/manuel decide to look into a transfer!

these guys came to take over after the rebuild, brew failed, so why stick around for another rebuild?

im really nervous about firing brew! if we dont sign a homerun replacement we could lose half of our team, or at least a bunch of key components for the future.

It doesn't really work that way. While you're bound to lose a couple people, you won't lose 50% of your team. Lewis surely won't leave. Doubt Hageman or Watkins leave either.

We'd probably lose most of our highly regarded recruits for next year. So we won't lose any recruits. Did you get that? It was a joke. Maybe you didn't get it.

It doesn't really work that way. While you're bound to lose a couple people, you won't lose 50% of your team. Lewis surely won't leave. Doubt Hageman or Watkins leave either.

We'd probably lose most of our highly regarded recruits for next year. So we won't lose any recruits. Did you get that? It was a joke. Maybe you didn't get it.

when i said half i should have said 3-10 players, regardless those 3-10 players are probably guys like hageman, gray, etc. do you really think i meant 40 players? you are not bright!

Clearly.

By the way, Hageman and Gray are not likely to transfer.

they wont transfer or they might not transfer?

or they absolutely wont consider it, or they might consider it?

what does "not likely" mean? does it mean that you have no idea or does it mean fact?

im going to purchase a powerball ticket today, its "not likely" that i will win, but there is a chance.

i can keep going but since your ms cleo and can read minds i will listen to you!

If we're switching defensive schemes AGAIN next season it's because Brew's gone. No way on earth would they switch the D scheme that all these young players are trying so hard to learn. Also, you can have all the LB's in the world but a 3-4 only works if you have the stud NT to run it. In our case we have Edwards & he can get it done, but no one behind him who could handle the load at NT. What if he gets hurt? Sean Ferguson is our NT in a 3-4? What about substitutions? Is Edwards going to play the entire game? Also, there's no way we move Cooper to SS. Brew does not move fast players from one position on D to become slow players at another position on D (The exception being Lee Campbell).

I agree we'll lose a bunch of our core players if Brew's canned. Basically anyone Brew recruited from further than 300 miles away who's not an Sr or Juco is gone imo.

what does "not likely" mean? does it mean that you have no idea or does it mean fact?

im going to purchase a powerball ticket today, its "not likely" that i will win, but there is a chance.

i can keep going but since your ms cleo and can read minds i will listen to you!

For Gray, "Not likely" means "He waited patiently behind Weber, why would he leave now that the team will be his to go sit out a year somewhere?"

For Gray, "Not likely" means "He waited patiently behind Weber, why would he leave now that the team will be his to go sit out a year somewhere?"

im a firm believer that its all about the right situation! does peyton manning have the same success in detroit as he does in indianapolis? does ryan leaf become a great qb if he is drafted to dallas instead of san diego? some can argue he would have still been a bust but who knows?

if we have a coach come in and he doesnt want to throw much or run the option does gray consider a new home? maybe, i dont think its out of the question. i think a new coach could cause guys to stay and leave, that is why i believe we need a rock star to come in to keep whatever talent that i believe is here to stay.

Brew did a pretty good job of redshirting guys. So those guys who have already sat out a year will have to ask themselves if they want to sit out a year of eligibility at a (most likely) lesser program or stick around and hope the next coach can turn things around.

That is why, if Brew is canned, it needs to be done November 28th and the next coach should be in place before the first bowl game.

Your assertion - players are leaving, specifically Gray and Hageman.

My conjecture - Gray and Hageman aren't probable transfer candidates. Gray is the starting QB next year. He's already missed a semester with academic issues. The next HC will be pushed to use Gray quite a bit. Hageman is a local kid with parents who both went to the University of Minnesota.

You should have mentioned other players as likely to transfer, not Hageman or Gray.

The term "not likely" is a reference to general probability. As in, there's a greater chance those two stay versus transfer. We could get into conditional probability, but I think we've covered enough for today.

You should look into capitalization, punctuation, spell check etc...

It will make you look less retarded.

RT -- Kirksey Sr
LT -- Edwards Sr
LDE -- Whilhite Jr
MLB -- Beal So
CB -- Carter Jr
SS -- Manuel So

We literally have the youngest, most inexperienced defense in the country. Minus Royston, the team returned just 30.94% of its tackles from last season, which is last in the country. It returned just one starter, which, again, is the fewest in the country. It returned just three defensive players from the classes of 06 and 07, which I would presume would be the least amount in the country.

Players certainly could leave and if they did, they would probably be guys like Gray and Hageman (they would both have a couple years of eligibility left after they transferred and they are talented enough to get on the field). However, i don't really see it happening on a major level.

Like the last poster said, Gray is likely to be our guranteed starting QB next season. I think it is hard for a kid to choose to leave all of his friends and the starting QB position to sit out.

Are player transfers more a reaction to coaching change or to a change in offensive/defensive philosophy?

Example: Did Mallett (sp) transfer to Ark. from Mich as a result of the coaching change or was it due to the change to a running spread type offense? Would he have stayed under the new coach if they kept the same or similar offense in place?

Firing a coach will not only cause players to leave, but some of next years recruits will not sign with us. I seem to recall a Mason recruit who is doing very well with Michigan State. We will be starting another rebuilding process.

Are player transfers more a reaction to coaching change or to a change in offensive/defensive philosophy?

Example: Did Mallett (sp) transfer to Ark. from Mich as a result of the coaching change or was it due to the change to a running spread type offense? Would he have stayed under the new coach if they kept the same or similar offense in place?

If I remember correctly (maybe DeltaHog could verify), Mallett left because of the style that Dick Rod was going to employ. He knew his abilities and that he could be a great pro style QB so he left, like most people of his abilities would do. That is kind of an extreme change that occurred at Michigan though.

It is the problem with coaching changes. Not as many transfers as one would think but an exodus from the current recruiting class if the change isn't concise enough or the incoming coach does a lousy job of reassuring the new kids.

Any kind of a gap in coaches and the recruiting class empties out and the new guy comes in scrambling much like Brewster in year one.

Firing a coach will not only cause players to leave, but some of next years recruits will not sign with us. I seem to recall a Mason recruit who is doing very well with Michigan State. We will be starting another rebuilding process.

If we're going to lose some of our key players to transfers, I would rather keep Brewster for another year to see how these kids pan out. Unless we hire a coach who can keep the team intact, it may be worth waiting one more year before we begin another rebuilding process.

Top Bottom