12 Iowa players hospitalized

Did you read the posted articles from SportingNews and CBSSports? Those columnists said this incident threatens the entire Iowa program and that at a minimum Ferentz should be fired.

I don't think that Ferentz's head can be called for until all the facts are known. The major question is going to be: What were the kids on and did the staff know that they were on such suppliments or drugs? That is what will tilt the scales.

The reason I said "overblown" is that the more I read about it on the Iowa site, these players are all expected to have full recoveries. People are jumping the gun before all details/facts are out. For instance, do we know that perhaps only 2 or 3 individuals had more serious symptoms while the others went in merely for observation due to U of I medical staff being super cautious? I can understand how competing programs may want to jump all over this, but the same training techniques have been going on at Iowa over the last 12 years with no such incidents. Additionally, I'm sure fans of other teams want this to adversely impact Iowa's recruiting class. However, based on quotes from numerous recruits, that does not appear to be the case. If anything, future training methods/oversight will be safer! I'm just here in a similar capacity to a policeman at a fender bender to say to all you gawkers - move along, there is nothing to see here.

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter if they are going to make full recoveries. 13 players were in the hospital due to a workout put on by the football program. This is serious - not overblown.

To me the fact that it happened is bad. However, to hold a press conference without the Head coach, AD, and Strength coach indicates to me a bigger issue. If Ferentz was in my house recruiting my son this week, and made any comments about how he would look after him like one of his own, I might laugh in his face. (And yes, I know that his son is on the team). And this is putting all personal biases aside - it doesn't matter what team this happens too.

My guess is that it won't have a huge impact on recruiting this year. However, I can honestly say that as a parent, I would very much challenge my son for going to a program that would A) put players in this position and B) not have the respect, willingness, and courtesy, to get home and take responsibility for an issue like this.

I would welcome reasonable Gopher fans on Iowa websites & there are several MN fans that regularly do post on such sites.

Good for you. Here's a cookie.

You're not welcome here. Leave.

Hey it's a free country - didn't know you fellas were so insecure as to ONLY have gopher fans on your site. By the way, I never would START an Iowa thread herebut I certainly will join in when the Hawks are being discussed. I would welcome reasonable Gopher fans on Iowa websites & there are several MN fans that regularly do post on such sites. Anyway, this whole workout incident is being way overblown. Actually, a similar incident happened with Oregon's football team last year. Ferentz has sent two of his sons through the Iowa football program, so no it won't hurt recruiting (wishful thinking by MN fans). Creatine is NOT a banned substance, but certainly extra hydration is apparently required. Therefore, to various posters on this thread (RonJohnson Super Fan, highwayman, Joe Dirt, etc) who indicated that it had nothing to do with hydration, that is simply wrong.

I agree that it had something to do with hydration, but it is hydration in combination with some supplement--for sure. It may be a legal supplement and well used, but there is no other explaination. The head of U of Iowa Medical said he had not even seen 13 cases of Rhabdomyolysis in his entire career. How could this be a naturally occuring event??? Take off your black and yellow glasses and focus. If this happened here, I would want answers.

Hey it's a free country...

I always get a little blood pressure rise from blank check comments like this. Quit using freedom as a shield to protect yourself from somebody's objection to your comments. It is the worst kind of sophistry and it weakens your claim.

I don't care if you speak up. Just don't hide behind the flag when you do have something to say.

A nice study using meta data can be found here: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/DOCKETS/95s0316/95s-0316-rpt0154-51-Ref-47-vol112.pdf

After reading most of the article, I came away with a few observations. It doesn't do much for exceptional athletes. The down side is that most of creatine production in North America is synthetic and the process has not been tested for carcinogenic or toxic effects. However, this study cited the following observations in the literature:

"A search of this database enables the observation that 2621 adverse effects have been declared relating to 3451 products. For creatine, 32 reports have been made. 26 of these reports concern subjects who have only ingested creatine. The name of the product and that of the company are indicated, they are vary diverse. The adverse side effects reported are very varied, quoted in the order they were recorded: dyspnoea, fatigue, “serious pain”, diarrhoea, vomiting, polymyositis, aggressive and violent behaviour, stomach cramps, myopathy, venous thrombosis, atria1 fibrillation, one death, stomach bums, migraines, facial rash, cardiac arrest with apoplexy and ventricular fibrillation, repeated epistaxis, thoracic, gastric and backbone pain, intracerebral haemorrhage and rabdomyolysis. The most frequent side effects are digestive."

Now, if the Hawkeye team members affected were all using a creatine supplement, it might be prudent to discontinue this supplementary treatment until greater studies have been conducted. To say that creatine did not have a negative effect on the players is not only premature, but is unsubstantiated by any measure. What we do know is that they may have been taking this supplement as part of their S&C regimen and that is most likely the one common association between all the athletes hospitalized. There really needs to be a good investigation into the cause of their hospitalization.

It has become glaringly evident that any problems or incidents that involve the iowa football players are pushed under the carpet by the University of Iowa. Multiple drug arrests, assaults, alcohol problems, etc. Iowa has tried to minimize all of this as they have to protect their cash cow which is their football program. Without that program...they have nothing. The media seems to help the cause. They would be skinned alive here in the TC.

I don't think that Ferentz's head can be called for until all the facts are known. The major question is going to be: What were the kids on and did the staff know that they were on such suppliments or drugs? That is what will tilt the scales.

I agree with you 100%. There is something between "fire Ferentz" and the "nothing to see here move on" attitude being displayed here by the U of Iowa administration, football program, and fans. Something like, "this is an extremely serious situation and we are doing a full investigation. When the investigation is complete we will pursue all appropriate remedies to make sure nothing like this happens again." Then, go through the situation and do what the facts warrant.

The reason I said "overblown" is that the more I read about it on the Iowa site, these players are all expected to have full recoveries. People are jumping the gun before all details/facts are out. For instance, do we know that perhaps only 2 or 3 individuals had more serious symptoms while the others went in merely for observation due to U of I medical staff being super cautious? I can understand how competing programs may want to jump all over this, but the same training techniques have been going on at Iowa over the last 12 years with no such incidents. Additionally, I'm sure fans of other teams want this to adversely impact Iowa's recruiting class. However, based on quotes from numerous recruits, that does not appear to be the case. If anything, future training methods/oversight will be safer! I'm just here in a similar capacity to a policeman at a fender bender to say to all you gawkers - move along, there is nothing to see here.

Hawksfan81, you are so dumb, it's hard to know where to start. Let's start here: If "the same training techniques have been going on at Iowa over the last 12 years with no such incidents" how come there were no previous mass hospitalizations? Obviously, something WAS different this time, as even Iowa players have said.

And as for your "move along, there is nothing to see here" Do you really want to be that guy - was it Leslie Nielsen - in the Police Academy movies who said exactly that? Police cars would be blown up and on fire in the background and he'd say "Move along, nothing to see here, please disperse." This IS a big deal, and if you weren't just a lackey for the program, you'd be demanding answers of how this could've happened. Iowa's official response so far has been just as shameful.

I agree with you 100%. There is something between "fire Ferentz" and the "nothing to see here move on" attitude being displayed here by the U of Iowa administration, football program, and fans. Something like, "this is an extremely serious situation and we are doing a full investigation. When the investigation is complete we will pursue all appropriate remedies to make sure nothing like this happens again." Then, go through the situation and do what the facts warrant.

An AP story basically saying exactly that (bottom of the story is old but I think the top is new):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/27/iowa-players.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

BTW, I can't see why Ferentz doesn't get back to campus, if for nothing else to say, "Hey, I'm concerned about my players"--even though it appears as if all are stable.

Started a topic on this but I'll post it here

greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel
Iowa player's relative called me. Says kid's kidney function below 40 %. I won't name him, but kid's no freshman

Started a topic on this but I'll post it here

greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel
Iowa player's relative called me. Says kid's kidney function below 40 %. I won't name him, but kid's no freshman

This is just very unsettling. As I've posted a couple times, rhabdo is not a minor thing that can be treated with fluids and the guy gets back to playing. It is an extremely serious disorder that can wreak complete havoc with the body of anyone, including football players. Google Raymond Henderson if you want evidence of how rhabdo can decimate a college football player.

Wow, I leave for a day and come back to see all this "concern" from gopher nation about Iowa athletes, which is very heart warming. Where do I start. First, for the rude posters that simply want me gone - I really don't give a rat's a$$ what you think about me or my posting, you sound like a bunch of hysterical women! Let's get real here, the only reason 90% of you are so "concerned" about this topic is your hatred for the Iowa program and wanting to see heads roll in Iowa City. Due to medical privacy laws, Ferentz cannot say too much about specifics of this situation. Does that sink in with any of you?

As far as CBS SportsLine, I would question ANY article written by the hack Gregg Doyel. Several years ago he wrote an article very critical of Ferentz for not showing up for a media-related event. However, Doyel didn't do his homework, not realizing that Ferentz's dad had passed away that week; therefore, Kirk was not going to any media related events. When Iowa fans e-mailed this little tidbit to Doyel, he was very silent.

Lastly, I don't quite know how to put my last point so that it isn't mis-interpreted. Here goes, over the year's I've heard many gopher fans ask the following question about Iowa's program. Which is, how can Iowa continually take "2' and "3" star type recruits and generally have good seasons/records. Well, Iowa's strength program, i.e., outworking their competition and pushing their athletes to their limits, has been a large part of it. Obviously, in this instance thing(s) went wrong. I don't pretend to know what went wrong. I'll leave that to all the "expert" gopher fans in this thread who apparently know all the details of the situation.

Wow, I leave for a day and come back to see all this "concern" from gopher nation about Iowa athletes, which is very heart warming. Where do I start. First, for the rude posters that simply want me gone - I really don't give a rat's a$$ what you think about me or my posting, you sound like a bunch of hysterical women! Let's get real here, the only reason 90% of you are so "concerned" about this topic is your hatred for the Iowa program and wanting to see heads roll in Iowa City. Due to medical privacy laws, Ferentz cannot say too much about specifics of this situation. Does that sink in with any of you?

As far as CBS SportsLine, I would question ANY article written by the hack Gregg Doyel. Several years ago he wrote an article very critical of Ferentz for not showing up for a media-related event. However, Doyel didn't do his homework, not realizing that Ferentz's dad had passed away that week; therefore, Kirk was not going to any media related events. When Iowa fans e-mailed this little tidbit to Doyel, he was very silent.

Lastly, I don't quite know how to put my last point so that it isn't mis-interpreted. Here goes, over the year's I've heard many gopher fans ask the following question about Iowa's program. Which is, how can Iowa continually take "2' and "3" star type recruits and generally have good seasons/records. Well, Iowa's strength program, i.e., outworking their competition and pushing their athletes to their limits, has been a large part of it. Obviously, in this instance thing(s) went wrong. I don't pretend to know what went wrong. I'll leave that to all the "expert" gopher fans in this thread who apparently know all the details of the situation.

Quit while you're behind.

This Iowa fan's delusional, borderline psychotic rationales obviously speak for themselves, and for the sorry state of one of the nation's most pathetic fan bases.

Boy, you hit them all here, apologist.

You came here to start trouble, and when you got it, you whined and ran like like a child.

Hiding behind "medical privacy"--that's rich. Mommy tell you to post that?

Bring out the dead dad (mom, sister, dog, "family emergency"). True sign of no argument.

You deny what probably went wrong to sooth your ravaged soul. You are more concerned about the program than the players themselves. You are Panther Hawk lite. Peace be with you.

HIPAA does not prevent patients releasing information to the public. Ferentz could certainly ask permission of the hospitalized players for this information. Frankly, this just isn't isolated to Iowa. It is an NCAA wide issue. With that in mind, any comments on this board are part of that broader discussion.

I am sure Minnesota does push their athletes to the training limit. But, it seems clear to me based on the athletic characteristics of our 2-3 star athletes, they do not magically become 4 star athletes down the road due to this training regimen. There must be some other item intervening to create a change. The suspect would be performance enhancing supplements. That is what concerns all of us as we share concerns for the health of the athlete, the integrity of the game, and the fairness of the contest. Iowa should not be viewed in isolation and concern for players health is a concern by real fans of the game.

A person does not have to be fully provided the facts to know that something went terribly wrong in Iowa and that there are moral and legal issues a plenty that need to be addressed.

It's pretty amazing how lightly most iowa fans are taking this situation.
It's becoming even more evident how blind and apologetic they are to their football players, first the rape case being downgraded, then the drug house charge being downgraded, now 13 players in the hospital for a week without any comment from Ferentz or the coaches involved in the conditioning, no big deal though:eek:

Whenever anyone says "nothing to see here", there is something to see. Whenver anyone says "there is no cause for alarm", then you should worry.

Where is the Jimmy MD, or Doc1003, or any of our other resident medical experts? Talking to one of my Dr friends last night, he said there is virtually no way that this is not steroid related in some way.

I posted something similar (but not as eloquent) on the other thread relating to this issue. This is tragic and it would be tragic at any university. Whatever the cause, I cannot believe that the Iowa administration has handled this as poorly as they have. Even an innocuous comment from Ferentz should be forthcoming, as in, "This is tragic for these athletes and their families. We're all hoping for full recoveries." The silence is deafening.

I feel in this day and age that the media and people just want the AD and Coach to speak so they can tear it apart. People can't handle the suspense.

I posted something similar (but not as eloquent) on the other thread relating to this issue. This is tragic and it would be tragic at any university. Whatever the cause, I cannot believe that the Iowa administration has handled this as poorly as they have. Even an innocuous comment from Ferentz should be forthcoming, as in, "This is tragic for these athletes and their families. We're all hoping for full recoveries." The silence is deafening.

Well, it hasn't been total silence. They did hold a news conference where a team doctor, a football ops guy, and an impacted player's parent spoke. The parent (a high school coach) talked about his kid and praised the way the University has handled the situation. The two university reps bumbled their way through it in an embarrassing manner. So, while it hasn't been total silence, it hasn't been handled well in almost every aspect. And, there is public silence from Ferentz so far, you're right about that.

But it doesn't appear that anyone in a position of authority has faced the camera. That's a big fail.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...02/110127041/0/SPORTS020502/?odyssey=nav|head

Here's a pretty good analysis from a Mayo Doctor and several former hawkeyes with inside knowledge of the conditioning there.

Somethings being covered up here, outside of the workouts, there's something else going on that either the players or the coaches/administration don't want getting out.
Basically you don't have 13 players come down with this by only working out hard.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...02/110127041/0/SPORTS020502/?odyssey=nav|head

Here's a pretty good analysis from a Mayo Doctor and several former hawkeyes with inside knowledge of the conditioning there.

Somethings being covered up here, outside of the workouts, there's something else going on that either the players or the coaches/administration don't want getting out.
Basically you don't have 13 players come down with this by only working out hard.

It is environmental. There is something that they are all doing that caused this reaction. Just saw a bunch of tweets that a couple players have lost 30% of kidney function and the players have gained 30-50 lbs of fluid weight with all the fluids forced into their bodies.

Just saw a bunch of tweets that a couple players have lost 30% of kidney function and the players have gained 30-50 lbs of fluid weight with all the fluids forced into their bodies.

Holy sh!t! I feel terrible for those poor bastards.

Now Rittenberg tweeted about electronic medical recorded being accessed inappropriately. It's got to be hard to do things well with vultures around.

Now Rittenberg tweeted about electronic medical recorded being accessed inappropriately. It's got to be hard to do things well with vultures around.

My guess is hawkeye fans who work at the hospital are checking up. Curiously killed the cat.

Top Bottom