12 Iowa players hospitalized

Unless it's food poisoning(best bet), my bet is a drug masking/cleaning agent overdose.
My buddy overdid one of those in college and turned his entire body super red like sunburn and he had bad stomach pains for a few days.

It's neither of the aforementioned, rather believe it is dehydration, related to rigorous off-season workout program.

It's neither of the aforementioned, rather believe it is dehydration, related to rigorous off-season workout program.

another hogeye lurker, you people just can't get enough of us.

That would be worse. The SC coach is supposed to monitor off season workouts, with 12 athletes hospitalized, it means someone screwed up.

LMFAO! I am not one to laugh at players going to the hospital, but I am one to laugh at ridiculous Iowa fans.

Wow, what a concept!

I wonder how the Iowa football coaches came up with this revolutionary idea of having a rigorous off-season workout program. That is absolutely brilliant. I assume no one has ever tried to do this before because I can't remember this happening to another team. I wonder if any other football team will try this risky offseason workout program that you speak of.

Rhabdomyolysis, according to Marc Morehouse on twitter. http://twitter.com/marcmo...status/30047790537121792

Here is the wikipedia page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis
And here are the causes:
Traumatic compression of muscles: crush syndrome (e.g., in earthquakes), car accident, confinement in a fixed position (e.g. after a stroke, due to drunkenness or in prolonged surgery), physical torture or abuse
Obstruction of blood supply to muscles: arterial thrombosis (blood clots forming locally) or embolism (clots or other debris from elsewhere in the body), clamping of an artery during surgery, generally reduced blood supply in shock or sepsis (due to any cause)
Excessive muscle strain or activity: extreme physical exercise (particularly when poorly hydrated), delirium tremens (alcohol withdrawal), tetanus, prolonged seizures or status epilepticus

Sounds pretty serious, and if they really worked these kids to the point they had to be hospitalized, obviously heads will roll.

Above from Buckyville, confirming several rumors that the conditioning coach overworked the team. Cap'n Kirk is out of town, but has been informed. YIKES!

No, according to other sources, it's rhabdomyolysis. In layman's terms, it's kidney failure caused by an over-strenuous workout coupled with insufficient hydration.

No, according to other sources, it's rhabdomyolysis. In layman's terms, it's kidney failure caused by an over-strenuous workout coupled with insufficient hydration.

how the hell does that happen to 12 guys all at once?

What kind of steroid were they all taking? Certainly there has to be other programs that over the course of time have worked their players into the ground; however, I have never heard of a dozen of them all coming down with something like this.....

This is a perfect example of what a second or even third class school this is. They must pay these players with some good drugs to get them to commit.
Why anyone would spend four years in hogville is a mystery.

Sorry to hear about this, but at least we know there's no reason for brain surgery.

post from an iowa board........geezez balls

My source on the team confirms that it was an extreme workout that was forced upon them by the strength coach. They had to squat their body weight 100 times. The coach basically told them they were all pu**ies and played tired at the end of the year. He wanted to "change things". The actual number of players in the hospital is also more than 12...more like 20. They are hopeful that it was caught in time to prevent serious kidney damage but only time will tell. All are being pumped with fluid as we speak. This is a very serious issue that could have long term impacts if the kids don't respond to treatment.

Ok, now I feel bad about my flippant remark. I thought it would be food poisoning and we'd all have a good laugh about it. I hope they'll all be ok.

Ok, now I feel bad about my flippant remark. I thought it would be food poisoning and we'd all have a good laugh about it. I hope they'll all be ok.

this ain't no laughing matter......but i bet this strength coach is schitting bricks tonight

it's too bad

post from an iowa board........geezez balls

My source on the team confirms that it was an extreme workout that was forced upon them by the strength coach. They had to squat their body weight 100 times. The coach basically told them they were all pu**ies and played tired at the end of the year. He wanted to "change things". The actual number of players in the hospital is also more than 12...more like 20. They are hopeful that it was caught in time to prevent serious kidney damage but only time will tell. All are being pumped with fluid as we speak. This is a very serious issue that could have long term impacts if the kids don't respond to treatment.

Scary stuff. Sounds like they'll make a full recovery, and I hope that is the case.

Sounds like the beating we gave them had more of an impact then just in the loss comlumn.
They can't handle it!:)
Keep lifting boys. You still won't beat us next year!

If it is rhabdo I am going to be stunned. It is an extremely serious condition usually brought on by some sort of chemical reaction that breaks down the muscles. One of the bigger causes in recent years have been certain pharmaceuticals called statins that can attack the muscles. The broken down muscle protein actually makes its way through the kidneys, causing further toxicity that releases kidney chemicals that indicate danger to those organs. In fact, rhabdo is often detected by measuring kidney enzymes (or whatever they are) in the bloodstream.

Raymond Henderson suffered rhabdo when he was at Tennessee and never quite made it back to playing form after transferring to the U.

So do any of you goofers want to apologize for earlier comments made to my initial post when I was simply trying to pass along what I had heard?

I think we're all surprised it turned out as serious as it did; and that it in fact could happen from working out too hard. You have to admit, all teams get run into the ground, its very odd they were actually worked to the point of hospitalization. Usually one guys goes down and the coach backs off. 12+ just seems crazy.

Perhaps it was the over-workout coupled with taking a supplement before or during that caused rhabdo?

So do any of you goofers want to apologize for earlier comments made to my initial post when I was simply trying to pass along what I had heard?

Apologize for what? You said they were being treated for dehydration, which from everything I have read is a false statement. You want a pat on the back for passing along misinformation?

Sounds like the beating we gave them had more of an impact then just in the loss comlumn.
They can't handle it!:)
Keep lifting boys. You still won't beat us next year!

QFT

Squat your body weight 100 times??? Okay, that's insane.

I hope its not Rhabdo. That is bad news and can cause some irreversible damage to the kidney tubules. This is bad news for everyone involved. I wonder how many parasitic lawyers have already called the families involved...

Perhaps it was the over-workout coupled with taking a supplement before or during that caused rhabdo?

Bingo. No way that many players are hospitalized without some kind of supplement. Not saying they're roiding or implying it was an illegal drug, but there's no way that happens without some kind of supplement. Not from 100 squats (as difficult as that would be).

Top Bottom