12 Iowa players hospitalized

I hope its not Rhabdo. That is bad news and can cause some irreversible damage to the kidney tubules. This is bad news for everyone involved. I wonder how many parasitic lawyers have already called the families involved...

I made light of this situation a bit earlier, but how could anyone question taking legal action against a nutball conditioning coach, especially if his actions result in a physically debilitating condition? These strength/conditioning guys are supposed to know how much a body can be pushed and if they push beyond limits when they know that such actions could cause serious problems, they, along with their employer, deserve to be sued like there is no tomorrow.

I love athletics and conditioning is extremely important, but some of these chuckleheads need to get a grip. There's solid conditioning and there's inexcusable madness.

If I was a coach, who tried to recruit one of their commits, I'd be on the phone ASAP. I wonder if they lose any commits over this. As the parent of a collage student, I would have serious reservations about trusting Iowa, after an incident like this. (Full disclosure I have a daughter at the U)

Is a creatine supplement legal in college athletics? That could be a possible culprit if it is, due to the way it works in the body and no sufficient water intake...

If it is rhabdo I am going to be stunned. It is an extremely serious condition usually brought on by some sort of chemical reaction that breaks down the muscles. One of the bigger causes in recent years have been certain pharmaceuticals called statins that can attack the muscles. The broken down muscle protein actually makes its way through the kidneys, causing further toxicity that releases kidney chemicals that indicate danger to those organs. In fact, rhabdo is often detected by measuring kidney enzymes (or whatever they are) in the bloodstream.

Raymond Henderson suffered rhabdo when he was at Tennessee and never quite made it back to playing form after transferring to the U.

So do any of you goofers want to apologize for earlier comments made to my initial post when I was simply trying to pass along what I had heard?

First, let me be the one to say "no," we will never apologize to a man of your short stature at any time.

Then to follow up on Pete's comments--the chances of this happening to 12-20 athletes at the same time, even under great distress, is nearly impossible. It is almost statistically incalculable.

There is another chemical at work here, maybe even a legal one, that put them all in this situation. The workout simply accelerated the process.

They need to do blood work on these guys, not just hydrate them.

Is a creatine supplement legal in college athletics? That could be a possible culprit if it is, due to the way it works in the body and no sufficient water intake...

Sounds pretty serious down south, no doubt creatine mixed with inadequate hydration could accelerate the problem. Squat body weight x100? If it's in one set that's alot, but if it's broken down into multiple sets that might not be too bad, definitely can cause compartment syndrome where pressure build up into the muscles. I'm betting the coach didn't let them drink water.

But all the more reason to lay this at the feet of an overzealous conditioning coach.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Chris Doyle is Iowa's S&C coach and is basically considered to be one of the top handful of strength coaches in the nation. He's got an impeccable reputation. This certainly doesn't look good.

This may be one of the most important and interesting topics in a long time.

Can this be caused in one workout session or does it occur as a result of many workouts?

Rashidi Wheeler Incident

Yeah, I'm sure it has never happened before anywhere ever. Not even within the past five months.

tjgopher,

1. I am glad you reminded us of this high school incident. This leads me to beleive somebody in Kirk Ferentz' staff has been playing with their Gilbert Chemistry Set and using it on the football players.

2. It is amazing that this crap is happening, especially in light of the Rashidi Wheeler incident at Northwestern just a few years ago. I remember Rashidi's mother desperately trying to take Northwestern University to court. She did not want to settle out of court, but rather wanted public proceedings. I am not sure what became of it. Well I looked it up. Looks like she did settle out of court for $10,700,000 in 2006. http://articles.latimes.com/2006/mar/11/sports/sp-wheeler11

3. I guess this is good news for the kidney dialysis machine sales people. This smacks of a Dr. Josef Rudolf Mengele style experiment. What were they thinking? Unbelievable.

Wow $10,000,000!
Can Iowa afford 12 X 10,000,000?
This could cripple the athletic department and the university for a long time. This could turn out to be almost a death penalty for them.
It will be interesting to see the ESPN report on this.

Situations are very different. In the NW case, the kid died. In the Iowa case, they all will be fine.

Are we positive they will be fine?
Reading some things on this it sounds like this stays with you for years and you might never be the same.

Rittenberg's news and notes

These off the field issues are really starting to add up. I agree with the comments about recruits and the concerns I would have with sending my son there. However, it is likely these players were taking something that the training staff probably was unaware of. Truth will have to come out if charges start to be filed.

So do any of you goofers want to apologize for earlier comments made to my initial post when I was simply trying to pass along what I had heard?

No. Do you want to apologize for being an arrogant and condescending hawkeye fan for even asking this question?

that is bullsh*t and you know it.....hahah...the iowa program is full of cheating...

No. Do you want to apologize for being an arrogant, condescending hawkeye fan for even asking this question?

hawksfan81...you are an idiot. Can you explain why you would bother to take the time to register for a profile on the Gopherhole and then make insulting posts...? What the 'ef' do you expect...? Oh wait a minute...I get it...you are from iowa and the sqawks are your only team. And btw...the iowa program looks like it is full of drug use and academic problems and coming apart fast....it will all come out soon. Maybe iowa city will allow DJK to come back and play...hahahaha...what a joke...just like your basketball team.

Hey it's a free country - didn't know you fellas were so insecure as to ONLY have gopher fans on your site. By the way, I never would START an Iowa thread herebut I certainly will join in when the Hawks are being discussed. I would welcome reasonable Gopher fans on Iowa websites & there are several MN fans that regularly do post on such sites. Anyway, this whole workout incident is being way overblown. Actually, a similar incident happened with Oregon's football team last year. Ferentz has sent two of his sons through the Iowa football program, so no it won't hurt recruiting (wishful thinking by MN fans). Creatine is NOT a banned substance, but certainly extra hydration is apparently required. Therefore, to various posters on this thread (RonJohnson Super Fan, highwayman, Joe Dirt, etc) who indicated that it had nothing to do with hydration, that is simply wrong.

My only regret is that I did not mock you more than I did.

Hey it's a free country - didn't know you fellas were so insecure as to ONLY have gopher fans on your site. By the way, I never would START an Iowa thread herebut I certainly will join in when the Hawks are being discussed. I would welcome reasonable Gopher fans on Iowa websites & there are several MN fans that regularly do post on such sites. Anyway, this whole workout incident is being way overblown. Actually, a similar incident happened with Oregon's football team last year. Ferentz has sent two of his sons through the Iowa football program, so no it won't hurt recruiting (wishful thinking by MN fans). Creatine is NOT a banned substance, but certainly extra hydration is apparently required. Therefore, to various posters on this thread (RonJohnson Super Fan, highwayman, Joe Dirt, etc) who indicated that it had nothing to do with hydration, that is simply wrong.

This story is being overblown? Wow. Just wow. You represent your hog farmer brethren well. You are a disgusting, bucktoothed, hayseed moron.

Head coach wasn't needed to be around...Leach was in charge I believe...

Saying that the hospitalized players' problem was dehydration is about like saying someone with a broken femur went to the hospital with leg discomfort.

I am not a Gopher fan and have felt comfortable on this site. As Rittenberg said, "Thirteen players in the hospital is a big deal, and Iowa needs to treat it that way in its dealings with the media and the public." Trying to pretend that this incident is "way overblown" is ridiculous. Potential kidney damage cannot be overblown and when it happens to 13 players, it is not an isolated incident.

Edited for spelling.

I'm relatively surprised this situation wasn't related to DJK's drug house operation.

The reason I said "overblown" is that the more I read about it on the Iowa site, these players are all expected to have full recoveries. People are jumping the gun before all details/facts are out. For instance, do we know that perhaps only 2 or 3 individuals had more serious symptoms while the others went in merely for observation due to U of I medical staff being super cautious? I can understand how competing programs may want to jump all over this, but the same training techniques have been going on at Iowa over the last 12 years with no such incidents. Additionally, I'm sure fans of other teams want this to adversely impact Iowa's recruiting class. However, based on quotes from numerous recruits, that does not appear to be the case. If anything, future training methods/oversight will be safer! I'm just here in a similar capacity to a policeman at a fender bender to say to all you gawkers - move along, there is nothing to see here.

What I do know is that the strength coach should have been monitoring the athletes. From my Army service I know that in cold weather soldiers don't naturally take in enough fluids during heavy exertion. I was required to make sure my soldiers took in enough fluids. If I know this why were fluids merely available? There should have been a mandatory hydration schedule which is the responsibility of the Strength Coach. The lack of one, especially early in winter workouts, is neglect.

The reason I said "overblown" is that the more I read about it on the Iowa site, these players are all expected to have full recoveries. People are jumping the gun before all details/facts are out. For instance, do we know that perhaps only 2 or 3 individuals had more serious symptoms while the others went in merely for observation due to U of I medical staff being super cautious? I can understand how competing programs may want to jump all over this, but the same training techniques have been going on at Iowa over the last 12 years with no such incidents. Additionally, I'm sure fans of other teams want this to adversely impact Iowa's recruiting class. However, based on quotes from numerous recruits, that does not appear to be the case. If anything, future training methods/oversight will be safer! I'm just here in a similar capacity to a policeman at a fender bender to say to all you gawkers - move along, there is nothing to see here.

So this is what happened to Baghdad Bob? He became the internet press secretary for Hawkeye Football?

we have a basketball board too and discuss hawkeye basketball and haven't seen any hawk fans on it in years.......LMAO

Do you think statements like this help your cause, you hick? Your claim of this board simply being "gawkers" does not hold water. Did you read the posted articles from SportingNews and CBSSports? Those columnists said this incident threatens the entire Iowa program and that at a minimum Ferentz should be fired.

Edit: I must add that I personally often come into contact with both: (1) people diagnosed with rhabdo; and (2) football players who have played at a high (the highest) level. Witnessing the suffering these people go through on a daily basis is the reason I can't stand a------ like this poster who is some hayseed jagoff who obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

I do agree with him that this will not have a negative impact on Iowa recruiting. In fact, I think it will help recruiting, with young HS players thinking, "wow, what a tough program- they ain't gonna break me down!" This mentality, of course, is rampant in both youths and youth football players in particular. It is also the reason that by age 50 many NFL retirees can barely walk or remember their wife's name.

I have known some good Iowa fans, but this guy unfortunately appears to represent the vast majority of the fan base, which is the most delusional in the entire nation in any sport.

This is typical of your ilk: Look the other way, win at at all costs.

Top Bottom