12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
UW Milwaukee is recruiting a 6th grader, if that kid ends up being as good as advertised he won't be going there. I bet someone in Vaughn's camp is about the Benjamin' s. When has a top ten recruit picked a school like Iowa State when he wasn't from said school's home state over the home school and the blue bloods, it doesn't happen, not cleanly

UW Milwaukee isn't Iowa State. Hoiberg has turned ISU into one of the better up and coming programs in the country. By the way if Elijah Thomas comes here is someone in his camp all about the benjamins too? How about Isaiah Whitehead if he would of came here? Hoiberg is one of the best (if not the best) young coaches in college basketball who oh by the way has connections in the NBA as well as connections to Minnesota. You aren't taking into account the connections a coach or a coach on his staff may have in an area. If Pitino starts landing top recruits from the Tri-State are you gonna think he's doing dirt? No you won't because you know the connections him and Kimani Young have there.

ISU makes sense for Vaughn if he wants to stay close to home (Rather see him in Maroon and Gold but let's be honest we're probably out of it). He's built enough of a relationship wit Hoiberg that he knows he can trust him and he knows he can get him to the league which we know is important to Rashad. ISU is now consistently in the tournament so it's like he'd be on a bad team. I think suggesting he's looking to take money because he's seriously considering a program that's in a neighboring state that's in better shape than ours is pretty darn stupid.

UW Milwaukee isn't Iowa State. Hoiberg has turned ISU into one of the better up and coming programs in the country. By the way if Elijah Thomas comes here is someone in his camp all about the benjamins too? How about Isaiah Whitehead if he would of came here? Hoiberg is one of the best (if not the best) young coaches in college basketball who oh by the way has connections in the NBA as well as connections to Minnesota. You aren't taking into account the connections a coach or a coach on his staff may have in an area. If Pitino starts landing top recruits from the Tri-State are you gonna think he's doing dirt? No you won't because you know the connections him and Kimani Young have there.

ISU makes sense for Vaughn if he wants to stay close to home (Rather see him in Maroon and Gold but let's be honest we're probably out of it). He's built enough of a relationship wit Hoiberg that he knows he can trust him and he knows he can get him to the league which we know is important to Rashad. ISU is now consistently in the tournament so it's like he'd be on a bad team. I think suggesting he's looking to take money because he's seriously considering a program that's in a neighboring state that's in better shape than ours is pretty darn stupid.

Agreed. Not saying ISU makes more sense than Minnesota, but it makes more sense for Rashad than many are willing to admit. Still holding out hope that he plays for the Gophers though. Just get an official visit from him and anything can happen.

If I'm a big time basketball player, I'm going for the money. Your career can fizzle, or you may never pan out. It's not illegal to get paid, it just screws up your eligibility. That's not a big risk in the long run, especially if you know how to hide the money. You'll make the league if you're good enough anyway.

If I'm a decent basketball player, I'm going to the best academic school I can get into.

If I'm a marginal player, I'm happy to get a scholarship.

If I'm a big time basketball player, I'm going for the money. Your career can fizzle, or you may never pan out. It's not illegal to get paid, it just screws up your eligibility. That's not a big risk in the long run, especially if you know how to hide the money. You'll make the league if you're good enough anyway.

If I'm a decent basketball player, I'm going to the best academic school I can get into.

If I'm a marginal player, I'm happy to get a scholarship.

It's not illegal to get paid- but it is dishonest. If a guy is a big time player- just do things right and things will work out fine. Grabbing a little side cash a year too early is not the way to go.

It's not illegal to get paid- but it is dishonest. If a guy is a big time player- just do things right and things will work out fine. Grabbing a little side cash a year too early is not the way to go.

It depends on what you consider side cash. If it's a few hundred bucks, then I agree. If you're getting $200,000 like Cam Newton's dad, then you're stupid for not taking free money from somebody.

If guys want the money, they should play in the D-Leauge or Europe instead of the NCAA. it is that simple IMO.

Up north friend, please be advised that often I engage in wordplay. Yes sir, a roads scholar learns on the streets of life rather than at Oxford or Cambridge,although there are historic cobblestones in the UK.

Vaughn seems more of a roads scholar man.

ESPN Article

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=7758&ex_cid=espnapi_public

Shooting guard Rashad Vaughn (Golden Valley, Minn./Findlay College Prep), the No. 17 player in the ESPN 100, is being hotly pursued by several programs. The 6-foot-6, 200-pound prospect already has made two official visits (to Iowa State and UNLV) and recently set up a visit to North Carolina for Feb. 15, when the Tar Heels play Pittsburgh. For his final two visits, he is likely to choose among Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, Kentucky and Minnesota.

Let's break down the game of one of the top shooting guards in the country:

Where he is today: Vaughn decided to spend his senior season at Findlay Prep to work on his game. "It's just school and basketball here. The schedule of games and the competition in practice is very challenging, and that's why I came here so I can focus on my game," Vaughn said.

Rashad Vaughn
Point guard
Uncommitted: List

Pos Rk Stars Grade Hometown
93 Golden Valley, MN
The Minnesota native has always been known as an elite scoring guard blessed with ball skills and a long-distance shooting touch. For all his star qualities, at times he did not understand shot selection, decision-making and defense as well as fitting in with his teammates. He is making corrections in his game in those areas and gives a lot of credit to Findlay Prep coach Jerome Williams, who played at Georgetown and in the NBA.

"Coach Williams really relates to the players and has helped me quite a bit. Also, my mentor, Pete Kaffey, is working with me on improving my game," Vaughn said.

With room to grow, he must continue to make the necessary changes in his practice habits and game performance.

Biggest change: Vaughn's DNA has always been that of a scorer, as he is hungry and aggressive. So far this season, he is averaging close to six assists per game, making unselfish plays. Evaluating him over the years, you could see he could pass the ball and has good vision, but was unwilling to give it up. Now that mindset is changing, and when he is in ball-screen action or driving to the basket, he now is looking to create for both himself and others. He is playing with more of a team concept while staying in attack mode, a big and important quality for him to maximize his potential.

Wired to score: Although he is mindful of the areas he needs to improve on, he also knows that his primary job is the get buckets. Vaughn is shooting 3-pointers with confidence and connecting with regularity. When his shot is not falling, he is comfortable at driving and taking a hit and finishing with body control.

Part of being a truly great scorer is getting 25 percent of your points from the free-throw line, and Vaughn is a good free-throw shooter. He just needs to make sure he gets his share of attempts. Now he is incorporating a pull-up jumper and trying to be better at creating space and beating his defender with a jab step.

Starting to get defensive: He is trying to guard his man with more alertness and is sometimes taking on the challenge of covering the other team's best offensive player.

His biggest growth has come in guarding the ball and not allowing his man to beat him off the dribble. Chasing other shooters off of screening action will be an adjustment, but it is a defensive concept he needs to learn now before he enters the college game. He is also learning to what it means to play defense on a consistent basis off the ball as he must not lose his man and play the ball at the same time. To finish a good defensive possession, Vaughn should always be in his defensive stance the whole time if he truly wants to be a good defender. Finally, he must learn what it means to finish the possession with a rebound.

Whitehead was never going to come here and didn't and I guarentee Elijah Thomas is as interested in us as Harrision Barnes was, at best. Hoiberg's best players have all been guys who got booted from other institutions and I guarentee with in the next two years he's in the NBA, while his stock is still high. If Thomas comes here, I'll be happy, but the rest of the country is going to be suspicious, heck I'll be little suspicious until he's been gone for a few years and we've still haven't heard anything. 97 was the perfect roster for us because it was lead by some stud Minnesotans and some under the radar out of state guys who turned out pretty good. Sorry Ames isn't that close to home, it's a solid 200 miles, you'll never convince me that it makes sense, they may not be cheating, but the cloud of suspicion will be there. But lets be real now that the slick weasel in Lexington is back in the race I bet he ends up there, UK has a habit of signing guys like Vaughn in the spring, so I guess were argueing over two schools that he's probably not going attend

Pitino has his work cut out for him and I hope he succeeds, but I think any rational person would have to assume that right now ISU is by far and away the leader. Hoping for the best!

Beeg, you should apply that same sentiment on the OT board topics you rail about.

Whitehead was never going to come here and didn't and I guarentee Elijah Thomas is as interested in us as Harrision Barnes was, at best. Hoiberg's best players have all been guys who got booted from other institutions and I guarentee with in the next two years he's in the NBA, while his stock is still high. If Thomas comes here, I'll be happy, but the rest of the country is going to be suspicious, heck I'll be little suspicious until he's been gone for a few years and we've still haven't heard anything. 97 was the perfect roster for us because it was lead by some stud Minnesotans and some under the radar out of state guys who turned out pretty good. Sorry Ames isn't that close to home, it's a solid 200 miles, you'll never convince me that it makes sense, they may not be cheating, but the cloud of suspicion will be there. But lets be real now that the slick weasel in Lexington is back in the race I bet he ends up there, UK has a habit of signing guys like Vaughn in the spring, so I guess were argueing over two schools that he's probably not going attend

Under the radar?

Quincy Lewis: Mr. Basketball in Arkansas
Charles Thomas: Mr. Basketball in Kentucky
Courtney James: Mr. Basketball finalist in Indiana

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>What's better to use your heart or your mind?</p>— Rashad Vaughn (@ShowtimeMr) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr/statuses/410468802329976832">December 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Related or unrelated?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>What's better to use your heart or your mind?</p>— Rashad Vaughn (@ShowtimeMr) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr/statuses/410468802329976832">December 10, 2013</a></blockquote>

Related or unrelated?

Likely unrelated. They are always tweeting about girl(friend) issues and stuff of that sort.

Whitehead was never going to come here and didn't and I guarentee Elijah Thomas is as interested in us as Harrision Barnes was, at best. Hoiberg's best players have all been guys who got booted from other institutions and I guarentee with in the next two years he's in the NBA, while his stock is still high.

K dood. You have no idea what you are talking about. Hoiberg will go to the NBA, but it won't be until his twin sons are out of high school and he has his alma mater in a position to have sustained success. It's easy to make these comments from the outside, but Hoiberg's relationship with ISU is something you probably won't understand unless you have followed his entire life. I don't think his stock is going down at all.

Also, Hoiberg's best players are now high school players (Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Matt Thomas, Monte Morris). There will be some transfers mixed in, but the 'Transfer U' strategy was undertaken in order to fill the absolute lack of talent on the roster after McDermott bolted.

K dood. You have no idea what you are talking about. Hoiberg will go to the NBA, but it won't be until his twin sons are out of high school and he has his alma mater in a position to have sustained success. It's easy to make these comments from the outside, but Hoiberg's relationship with ISU is something you probably won't understand unless you have followed his entire life. I don't think his stock is going down at all.

Also, Hoiberg's best players are now high school players (Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Matt Thomas, Monte Morris). There will be some transfers mixed in, but the 'Transfer U' strategy was undertaken in order to fill the absolute lack of talent on the roster after McDermott bolted.

I completely disagree. When Adelman is done with the Wolves after this season or next season the Wolves will go down to Ames to tell Hoiberg he's going to be the Wolves' latest NBA coach. Hoiberg will be out of Ames within one week of getting that offer. Guaranteed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you haven't heard anything from my circle then you don't have an reliable source</p>— Rashad Vaughn (@ShowtimeMr) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr/statuses/411206652449136640">December 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you haven't heard anything from my circle then you don't have an reliable source</p>— Rashad Vaughn (@ShowtimeMr) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr/statuses/411206652449136640">December 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

I never claimed to have an reliable source.

Go Gophers!!

Quite frankly Mr. Vaughn, you're a great player, but if it your recruitment doesn't involve the Gophers, I don't care ...

I still hold out hope that Vaughn will be a Gopher, but man would he absolutely thrive under Hoiberg. The freedom he gives his guards would lead to Vaughn averaging like 25 a game there. Plus, once again Hilton Magic proves to be real. Between Hoiberg's connections, Hoiberg's offense, and that fun home court anybody who still thinks ISU has no chance is fooling himself.

Under the radar?

Quincy Lewis: Mr. Basketball in Arkansas
Charles Thomas: Mr. Basketball in Kentucky
Courtney James: Mr. Basketball finalist in Indiana

+1 LOL

Kids these days only call them "under the radar" because there was no Rivals 150 or ESPN100 back then. But James, Thomas and Lewis all were big time recruits (though James only was left available by IU because of his behavior issues). And Sam Jacobson was a 5* caliber player, and John Thomas also was probably a 4* type of recruit. Not sure how Bobby Jackson was viewed coming out of HS or JC ... ironically he may have been the one "under the radar" guy in the group.

My last comment on this thread, I think Vaughn's a hell of a talent, but I'm a gopher fan, not a Minnesota basketball fan and quite frankly not really a hoops fan in general, I was the nine year old in 97 been hooked to this team and barn ever since, if Vaughn doesn't come here like Tyus and Travis he can go **** himself. Ski-U****in-Mah

I really hope Adelman retires from the Wolves, and Flip gives Hoiberg a deal he can't refuse to come coach the Wolves. Hoiberg coaching ISU is only going to be a huge nuisance for Gopher fans. Looks like Rashad is going to go there, Illkainen is looking at ISU, etc. Not good

I really hope Adelman retires from the Wolves, and Flip gives Hoiberg a deal he can't refuse to come coach the Wolves. Hoiberg coaching ISU is only going to be a huge nuisance for Gopher fans. Looks like Rashad is going to go there, Illkainen is looking at ISU, etc. Not good

If anything, the buzz right now is that Calipari is going to swoop in and get Rashad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom