Zach Lofton Update

Lofton would be a no brainer as a walk-on. He'd have to be on his best behavior and we'd be able to take him for a test drive before deciding if he were scholarship-worthy.

Lofton would be a no brainer as a walk-on. He'd have to be on his best behavior and we'd be able to take him for a test drive before deciding if he were scholarship-worthy.

This seems to be the best option. Sounds like Lofton wants to be here, yet the deal is not done. So one has to think that either some bargain like this is being proposed and thought over, or else Pitino is waiting on a decision from someone else at the same position.

This seems to be the best option. Sounds like Lofton wants to be here, yet the deal is not done. So one has to think that either some bargain like this is being proposed and thought over. Or else Pitino is waiting on a decision from someone else at the same position.

I'd bet Pitino is waiting on Justin Martin's decision first. If he opts to go elsewhere Lofton will probably get an offer. If he volunteers to pay his own way in the first year that would be great, but I'm skeptical that he'd be willing to do that unless his family is made of money.

I'd bet Pitino is waiting on Justin Martin's decision first. If he opts to go elsewhere Lofton will probably get an offer. If he volunteers to pay his own way in the first year that would be great, but I'm skeptical that he'd be willing to do that unless his family is made of money.
My family is not made of money and I offered to pay my way to school.

Most families aren't but there are ways around it, grants, financial aid etc, Union, the school who beat us in hockey doesn't give athletic scholarships, but they make other arrangements for their athletes. I am sure Shell gets some sort of financial help if he wants it, of course this means Lofton would have to have the grades to get into the U, which I think was a problem for Carson Shanks

Most families aren't but there are ways around it, grants, financial aid etc, Union, the school who beat us in hockey doesn't give athletic scholarships, but they make other arrangements for their athletes. I am sure Shell gets some sort of financial help if he wants it, of course this means Lofton would have to have the grades to get into the U, which I think was a problem for Carson Shanks

Yup, that's true, but he'd still be required to pay a decent amount of money I'd guess (not sure how much). I think most players would choose to play completely for free if they had the option, which Lofton certainly would elsewhere. To be clear, I'm not saying he wouldn't do it, just that I'm skeptical.

The offer will be official next week.

Good for him. Looks like it's been a long journey, but well deserved. Welcome aboard.

I enjoy your input on here, but judging by the comments we see about players regularly on this board, if it were my relative, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a fan board once he starts playing. Reading or arguing with anonymous, frequently-irrational fans about your (presumed) relative in a high visibility sport is just a no-win proposition.

Good for him. Looks like it's been a long journey, but well deserved. Welcome aboard.

I enjoy your input on here, but judging by the comments we see about players regularly on this board, if it were my relative, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a fan board once he starts playing. Reading or arguing with anonymous, frequently-irrational fans about your (presumed) relative in a high visibility sport is just a no-win proposition.

Irrational fans on Gopher Hole? Never happens.

Thanks wandering Gopher, I'm well aware of the potential for toxicity.

I will do my best to stay away and observe from afar. I appreciate your input. ( we'll probably get ridiculed for this warm and fuzzy interaction lol)

But seriously thanks, I come in peace and I'm happy for lofton and the gophers.

Zach will not pay his way. He needs to find an ill relative close by and pull a Joey King move. Pitino not thrilled with the idea of a 3 year full ride for 2 years of play.

Apparently Lofton visited the U today. He tweeted that the visit was "ill."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Apparently Lofton visited the U today. He tweeted that the visit was "ill." Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If it was "ill," does that help his case for a waiver to play right away?

The offer will be official next week.

Jigga, I mean this with all kindness, I'll believe it when it happens. There was supposed to be some other commits recently that were "imminent" or "sure things" and, I guess, didn't pan out.

So say Lofton does commit. We would only have 1 scholarship left. I'd would way rather have Justin Martin over Konate, but by the looks of it Konate would commit before Martin.

Nothing against Lofton, but if he commits before Martin makes a decision I'll be super disappointed.

But did you have the option of having a full ride somewhere else?

No. I could have gotten significant help at other universities. It's definitely apples n oranges, my comment was more towards the fact that you don't have to be made of money to go to college.

No. I could have gotten significant help at other universities. It's definitely apples n oranges, my comment was more towards the fact that you don't have to be made of money to go to college.

Haha yeah I understand that. I wasn't saying or implying that he can't go to college or can't afford to pay for a year at the U. Even if he can easily afford it he would still probably rather take the free option if he has it like almost any other player would.

Top Bottom