Zac Epping commits to Minnesota

Is there a chance that S. Henderson signs with WI.?
Badger fans on these boards might be difficult to live with if that occured.

Ummm, no. I don't believe he has mentioned them in the last several months and when he talked about his top 10 or so schools Wisconsin was not one of them. I honestly believe he is going to Minnesota if he stays in the Big 10 otherwise its off to USC.

As you know, I have always come in peace. I have gone on record several times that I am not a fan of Konrad for UW or UM due to his knee, lack of speed. I for one thought that Eggen was going to come to camp, perform well and get an offer and that wasnt the case as he was out performed by a unknown(to recruiting services) player in Dallas Lewallen. Epping on the other hand has seen the contact with the UW staff decrease ever since JR day and did not attend UW camp after seeing that he was not going to get an offer.

According to Wissports, Lewallen was supposedly the 8th best OT in Wisconsin or so I read on another board. So he was/is known to some recruiting services I suspect.

Cheers,
Saskatchewan Gopher

that was in retaliation to your coach saying minnesota is like instate recruiting

do you agree?

No, I like Bretty but I hardly condone many of his actions, for one he should know that no matter what anyone says Brewster can recruit anywhere in the country so Minnesota would hardly continue to be a major pipeline like it was for 3 or 4 years before Brewster got there. Im also a little baffled at his instate recruiting, I mean I understand that you were going to wait and evaluate players at camp, so why then send out three offers (Zags, Gilbert, Hardy) when you said players needed to attend camp?

He really pissed me off when he offered Zags(I hold the same sentiments towards him as JWill does) just because he committed to Minny, it was a gut reaction towards Brewster making some moves into Wisconsin.

No, I like Bretty but I hardly condone many of his actions, for one he should know that no matter what anyone says Brewster can recruit anywhere in the country so Minnesota would hardly continue to be a major pipeline like it was for 3 or 4 years before Brewster got there. Im also a little baffled at his instate recruiting, I mean I understand that you were going to wait and evaluate players at camp, so why then send out three offers (Zags, Gilbert, Hardy) when you said players needed to attend camp?

He really pissed me off when he offered Zags(I hold the same sentiments towards him as JWill does) just because he committed to Minny, it was a gut reaction towards Brewster making some moves into Wisconsin.

You pretty much covered exactly what I think is so odd about Wisconsin in-state recruiting this year. I can understand Zags and Hardy not wanting to come to camp (not sure if Zags knee is/was healthy enough to make it anyway) if they had good offers elsewhere so it forces Bielema to act. However, I don't understand the Gilbert offer at all. The Mason offer doesn't make much sense either.

The coaching staff thinks they can be good players.

What most of the Gopher fans are saying is why send out offers to players who have not attended camp when you tell them they need to go to camp to get offers. I personally am not angry about Marquis getting an offer due to his measurable (6'5, 210, 4.5)

What most of the Gopher fans are saying is why send out offers to players who have not attended camp when you tell them they need to go to camp to get offers. I personally am not angry about Marquis getting an offer due to his measurable (6'5, 210, 4.5)

This is precisely why it is so stupid to insist on a camp visit before offering. Player A, who has all the measurables, will get an offer without visiting because the staff is convinced he will be a player. Player B, who is a late bloomer and is "on the fence" according to the staff, has to prove how badly he wants to play for the mighty, infallible Badgers by spending money he and his family don't have to come to their camp. If I were Player B, I'd tell them to shove it. These kids aren't stupid. They know when they're being strung along.

This Bielema mandate is: a) stupid; and b)indicative of poor abilities in talent evaluation.

This is precisely why it is so stupid to insist on a camp visit before offering. Player A, who has all the measurables, will get an offer without visiting because the staff is convinced he will be a player. Player B, who is a late bloomer and is "on the fence" according to the staff, has to prove how badly he wants to play for the mighty, infallible Badgers by spending money he and his family don't have to come to their camp. If I were Player B, I'd tell them to shove it. These kids aren't stupid. They know when they're being strung along.

This Bielema mandate is: a) stupid; and b)indicative of poor abilities in talent evaluation.

Mason is a very good basketball player and had committed to UW-Milwaukee for basketball. The details were being worked out on walking on to the basketball team while being on scholarship for football. There was no need to see him at camp because the coaches had seen everything they needed to see on the field and court regarding his athletic ability. I am sure you knew that however.

I will take the Badger coaching staff's talent evaluating skills over yours. Tough call, but I am going to give them the edge.

I hope Bielema continues to be as stupid as his 28-11 record suggests he is. If he keeps evaluating talent the way he has been, he may never lose to the Gophers.

I was meaning the timing of it given the earlier statements that players had to come to camp to earn a scholarship.

Thanks for the clarification. The timing to Mason was related to basketball. The timing for Gilbert was they liked him enough to offer him when they did.

It really is pretty simple. There is no hard and fast rule. If they think they have seen enough to offer, they offer. If they want to evaluate a kid more in a camp environment, they ask them to go to camp. If they come to camp and they like what they see, they offer. If they come to camp and they don't like what they see, they don't offer. If they don't want to come to camp, then they don't come. Not a difficult process.

I hope Bielema continues to be as stupid as his 28-11 record suggests he is. If he keeps evaluating talent the way he has been, he may never lose to the Gophers.

Keep those blinders on, I wouldn't want to look at the direction of the Badger program either if I was pulling for them. Worse and worse each year. I'm fairly confident that I could have stepped into the head coaching posistion that first year after Alvarez left and taken the team to their 11-2 (?) record. I just like watching this train wreck so I hope Wisco gives him that extension.

Thanks for the clarification. The timing to Mason was related to basketball. The timing for Gilbert was they liked him enough to offer him when they did.

It really is pretty simple. There is no hard and fast rule. If they think they have seen enough to offer, they offer. If they want to evaluate a kid more in a camp environment, they ask them to go to camp. If they come to camp and they like what they see, they offer. If they come to camp and they don't like what they see, they don't offer. If they don't want to come to camp, then they don't come. Not a difficult process.

I'm not talking about the difficulty of the process as much as the hypocrisy between the words and the actions of the coaches.

I will take the Badger coaching staff's talent evaluating skills over yours. Tough call, but I am going to give them the edge.

I love this argument, i.e. I'm not qualified to comment because I'm just some guy on a message board. I should sure as hell hope they're better at talent evaluation than I am! They are D-IA football coaches, while the highest I have ever coached is jr. high. If there is any question as to relative ability, then you really do have some serious problems on your staff.

As has been said, time and again, my dead grandma could've coached the '06 squad to a 12-1 record. Throw that out, and he's at 16-10 (.615), while continually getting worse each year. Even accounting for the piss-poor program he was handed when he got there, Alvarez still has a better record than your boy post-'06 Bielema - 118-73 (.618).

The fact is that Bielema can't even hold Alvarez' jock strap, and that's something with which you Fadger fans just can't come to grips. Even though I hated the Badgers when Alvarez was there, I respected him and his abilities, which is a lot more than I can say for the smarmy douche you've got running the place now. Meanwhile, our coach is far better than his predecessor, and already has the program back to Masonesque levels, while only one of his recruiting classes has seen the field. What do you think are the chances of the Badgers winning 10 games (something Alvarez did 4 times - 5, really, since the '06 team was all his players) or a Rose Bowl (3) while your boy is the head coach? Yeah, good luck with that. Pay more attention to the trajectories - they will continue to diverge in opposite directions, and they won't portray your program in a favorable light.

Oh, and another thing - nice job portraying Bielema's coaching record as indicative of his recruiting program. Clearly, Wisconsin's record the past 3 years has anything at all to do with how he recruits his players. Good call on that one.

Oh, and another thing - nice job portraying Bielema's coaching record as indicative of his recruiting program. Clearly, Wisconsin's record the past 3 years has anything at all to do with how he recruits his players. Good call on that one.

No sh!t, Brewster's two recruiting classes are both better than anything Wisco or Iowa have gotten in the last 5 years. Just can't wait for everything to play out in the coming years, more so I can tell every Iowa fan alive to fuc& themselves. They are the most disgusting fan in all of college athletics, seriously pathetic individuals. Wisco fans, while they are our biggest foe (so we naturally do not like them) and annoy us as much as we annoy them, I can honestly say are good sh!t (just on the wrong side of the fence) :) .

But honestly, if I had to chose one program to succeed in the next decade and one to fall flat on its face, I would easily pick Iowa to fall on their face and Wisco to succeed. I cannot express in words my hatred for people from Iowa (and I even have family from there, but I tell them everytime I see them how pathetic they are).

I love this argument, i.e. I'm not qualified to comment because I'm just some guy on a message board. I should sure as hell hope they're better at talent evaluation than I am! They are D-IA football coaches, while the highest I have ever coached is jr. high. If there is any question as to relative ability, then you really do have some serious problems on your staff.

As has been said, time and again, my dead grandma could've coached the '06 squad to a 12-1 record. Throw that out, and he's at 16-10 (.615), while continually getting worse each year. Even accounting for the piss-poor program he was handed when he got there, Alvarez still has a better record than your boy post-'06 Bielema - 118-73 (.618).

The fact is that Bielema can't even hold Alvarez' jock strap, and that's something with which you Fadger fans just can't come to grips. Even though I hated the Badgers when Alvarez was there, I respected him and his abilities, which is a lot more than I can say for the smarmy douche you've got running the place now. Meanwhile, our coach is far better than his predecessor, and already has the program back to Masonesque levels, while only one of his recruiting classes has seen the field. What do you think are the chances of the Badgers winning 10 games (something Alvarez did 4 times - 5, really, since the '06 team was all his players) or a Rose Bowl (3) while your boy is the head coach? Yeah, good luck with that. Pay more attention to the trajectories - they will continue to diverge in opposite directions, and they won't portray your program in a favorable light.

Uhm, not meaning to offend but, seriously maybe you should wait three years till you go shooting off at the mouth. The Gophers are in the same exact position we were after BB first year(minus the record) Both landed extremely talented classes and both renewed hope in their respective programs and much like we were after the 12-1 season people are very optimistic about the future. Guess what? Now 90% of Badger fans either hate BB or dont think he can get it done.

Meanwhile, our coach is far better than his predecessor, and already has the program back to Masonesque levels, while only one of his recruiting classes has seen the field.

Nothing could illuminate the differences between Gopher fans and Badger fans better. Both teams finish with a 7-6 record in 2008 and Badger fans are extremely dissatisfied, while Gopher fans jump for joy. Seriously, you're satisfied with "Masonesque levels"? Well, Punky would have to win 13 games this year to have a winning percentage as good as Mason.

Or were you just talking about last year, which, at 7-6, is right around Mason's career winning percentage (0.52893)? OK, then he needs to keep up that blistering "Masonesque" pace until the year 2051 to match Mason's winning percentage.

What do you think are the chances of the Badgers winning 10 games (something Alvarez did 4 times - 5, really, since the '06 team was all his players) or a Rose Bowl (3) while your boy is the head coach? Yeah, good luck with that. Pay more attention to the trajectories - they will continue to diverge in opposite directions, and they won't portray your program in a favorable light.

I'd put it at 100%, since it has already happened. Of course, for some reason, you don't want to to let Bielema count those wins, while Punky gets to count his wins from when he was assistant towel-boy under Mack Brown?

Exhibit 2 is fans crowing about getting a commit from a player we didn't offer. And BTW, "diverge" already implies opposite directions.

Days since any Gopher has held the Axe: 1,697 and counting.

Nothing could illuminate the differences between Gopher fans and Badger fans better. Both teams finish with a 7-6 record in 2008 and Badger fans are extremely dissatisfied, while Gopher fans jump for joy. Seriously, you're satisfied with "Masonesque levels"? Well, Punky would have to win 13 games this year to have a winning percentage as good as Mason.

Or were you just talking about last year, which, at 7-6, is right around Mason's career winning percentage (0.52893)? OK, then he needs to keep up that blistering "Masonesque" pace until the year 2051 to match Mason's winning percentage.

I'd put it at 100%, since it has already happened. Of course, for some reason, you don't want to to let Bielema count those wins, while Punky gets to count his wins from when he was assistant towel-boy under Mack Brown?

Exhibit 2 is fans crowing about getting a commit from a player we didn't offer. And BTW, "diverge" already implies opposite directions.

wonderful stuff. i believe this is a copy and paste job from beckyville is it not?! :rolleyes:

days since any badger has been crowned national champion in football: 1,000,000,000,000,000 AND COUNTING! :clap: suck it buddy!

I would think there is one thing Gopher and Badger fans could agree on... the Wisconsin football program has been, and appears to continue to be, in decline under BB. Let's just hope that there are more like sfbadger so we can get BB that contract extension so he can work more of his magic.

wonderful stuff. i believe this is a copy and paste job from beckyville is it not?! :rolleyes:

:confused: Nope, I made it especially for you! Believe it or not, we haven't been discussing Punky's "Masonesque" qualities at Buckyville.

days since any badger has been crowned national champion in football: 1,000,000,000,000,000 AND COUNTING! :clap: suck it buddy!

That's pretty much what I'd expect from someone with a Northstars logo for an avatar. Keep living in the past!

Hey, when are you going to sell out that cute little stadium of yours?

so your saying you fadger fans would be pissed about a turn around from a one win season to a 7??? really???...especially since the 1st year was under a new coach playing an athletic speed game with smash mouth power players who werent his. ill take a 7-6 year after a one win year previously with a new coach.. espcially since the gophers lost their starting runningback (bennet) and Decker was hurt down that losing stretch which was lucky for you

Man, I love idiot Badger fans who feel the need to come in here and defend themselves and their shitty program. Inferiority complex much? I have never once visited a Badger site, and never will. I have more self-respect than that.

Uhm, not meaning to offend but, seriously maybe you should wait three years till you go shooting off at the mouth. The Gophers are in the same exact position we were after BB first year(minus the record) Both landed extremely talented classes and both renewed hope in their respective programs and much like we were after the 12-1 season people are very optimistic about the future. Guess what? Now 90% of Badger fans either hate BB or dont think he can get it done.

"Renewed hope"? Why did Badger fans need "renewed hope"? They had a coach for the previous 2 decades who overachieved beyond anyone's wildest wet ones. We are excited because the only decent coach we've had in the last 40 years (Holtz) left before he even got started, and now we have excitement around the program unlike anything in decades. You guys are a bunch of crying babies because you're far worse off, talentwise, coachingwise, anythingelse-wise, than you were three years ago. Meanwhile, the exact opposite is true for us.

Nothing could illuminate the differences between Gopher fans and Badger fans better. Both teams finish with a 7-6 record in 2008 and Badger fans are extremely dissatisfied, while Gopher fans jump for joy.

Man, you're an idiot. Think it has anything to do with the Badgers finishing 9-4 the year before, and the Gophers finishing 1-11? Or maybe even that the Badgers finished 12-1 two years prior, with Alvarez' hand-picked team and successor?

Seriously, you're satisfied with "Masonesque levels"? Well, Punky would have to win 13 games this year to have a winning percentage as good as Mason.

Show me where I said that. Go ahead, I'm waiting. Also, you've already been proven wrong on the second point.

Towel-boy, that's a good one. Not "best recruiter in the country," as labeled by more than one individual who writes recruiting magazines for a living.

OK, let me rephrase it: When will the Badgers win 10 games (or the Rose Bowl) with a roster that had even one significant contributor that Bielema recruited? There, is that better for you?

I couldn't give two shits less about any of the WI commits who've verballed. I don't know enough about any of them to know whether they'll be any good or not. This whole thing got started because I will maintain, and will not be dissuaded from, my opinion that this "must come to camp before offer" mantra is one of the most narcissistic, and insanely idiotic, recruiting tactics I've ever seen.

To paraphrase Bronko:

Days since any Badger has held the national championship trophy: and counting.

Suck it, biatch!

Actually, 8 wins will tie Brewster with Mason at the end of three years.

Mason's winning percentage was 0.529. 8 wins (and presumably, 5 losses) would put Punky at 0.421 (16-22).

0.421 < 0.529

QED

Or were you talking just about Mason's first three years? Well, that was 0.457 (16-19).

0.421 < 0.457

QED

Now, it is true that with 8 wins, Punky would have the same number of wins as Mason after three seasons (16), but it would have taken him 3 more games to get there and that's not what I was talking about when I said "winning percentage" is it?

"Math is hard." - Barbie

Man, I love idiot Badger fans who feel the need to come in here and defend themselves and their shitty program. Inferiority complex much? I have never once visited a Badger site, and never will. I have more self-respect than that.

I never bashed your program moron so I really hope your not talking to me. What does self respect have to do with it its a message board!!!!!

"Renewed hope"? Why did Badger fans need "renewed hope"? They had a coach for the previous 2 decades who overachieved beyond anyone's wildest wet ones. We are excited because the only decent coach we've had in the last 40 years (Holtz) left before he even got started, and now we have excitement around the program unlike anything in decades. You guys are a bunch of crying babies because you're far worse off, talentwise, coachingwise, anythingelse-wise, than you were three years ago. Meanwhile, the exact opposite is true for us.

What are you talking about we transitioned from the greatest coach in the programs history to a a pig farmer who had one year at the program before that of course people were nervous. How am I crying? and how do you know we are worse off, because in all reality this is probably one of the most talented teams we have had in a decade, Its a very young team but everybody who is expected to contribute has the talent to be a great player. You really shouldnt try speaking on things you dont know about it has a tendency to bite you in the ass.

To paraphrase Bronko:

Suck it, biatch!

And How many of those were you alive for? Talk about inferiority complex.

Mason's winning percentage was 0.529. 8 wins (and presumably, 5 losses) would put Punky at 0.421 (16-22).

0.421 < 0.529

QED

Or were you talking just about Mason's first three years? Well, that was 0.457 (16-19).

0.421 < 0.457

QED

Now, it is true that with 8 wins, Punky would have the same number of wins as Mason after three seasons (16), but it would have taken him 3 more games to get there and that's not what I was talking about when I said "winning percentage" is it?

"Math is hard." - Barbie

Either way... Wisconsin's football program is in decline. I don't need a calculator for that.

OK, let me rephrase it: When will the Badgers win 10 games (or the Rose Bowl) with a roster that had even one significant contributor that Bielema recruited? There, is that better for you?

Sure. My answer is the same, 2006. Bielema had been DC the previous two years before he was named head coach, and had recruited numerous players who made significant contributions on that team.

Man, you're an idiot. Think it has anything to do with the Badgers finishing 9-4 the year before, and the Gophers finishing 1-11? Or maybe even that the Badgers finished 12-1 two years prior, with Alvarez' hand-picked team and successor?

Show me where I said that. Go ahead, I'm waiting. Also, you've already been proven wrong on the second point.

Towel-boy, that's a good one. Not "best recruiter in the country," as labeled by more than one individual who writes recruiting magazines for a living.

I couldn't give two shits less about any of the WI commits who've verballed. I don't know enough about any of them to know whether they'll be any good or not. This whole thing got started because I will maintain, and will not be dissuaded from, my opinion that this "must come to camp before offer" mantra is one of the most narcissistic, and insanely idiotic, recruiting tactics I've ever seen.

To paraphrase Bronko:

Suck it, biatch!

Let's don't get to cocky yet. Being a great recruiter doesn't necessarily equate to being a good head coach. John Blake has also been referred to as the best or one of the best recruiters in the country at one time or another, yet ask any Oklahoma fans about how he was as a head coach and they will have plenty of profanity laced tirades to share. Unfortunately we are not in any position to talk smack yet until we beat Wisconsin and Iowa regularly and start winning conference titles IMO.

:confused: Nope, I made it especially for you! Believe it or not, we haven't been discussing Punky's "Masonesque" qualities at Buckyville.

That's pretty much what I'd expect from someone with a Northstars logo for an avatar. Keep living in the past!

Hey, when are you going to sell out that cute little stadium of yours?

please! don't kid youself. over on beckyville you guys talk unprompted about minnesota football far more than you do your own "illustrious" program. apparently some are "looking over their shoulders" with at least a bit of trepidation or the minnesota program would not be brought up as much as it is.

it is sold out with the exception of a very small amount of expensive premium seats, but i am sure you already knew that. as far as what we should call it i was thinking of something along the lines of: "WE HAVE SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS AND YOU HAVE NONE STADIUM" or something like that. let me know what you think. ;)

it is sold out with the exception of a very small amount of expensive premium seats, ...

Or, put another way, it's not sold out.

as far as what we should call it i was thinking of something along the lines of: "WE HAVE SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS AND YOU HAVE NONE STADIUM" or something like that. let me know what you think. ;)

I think that would be a bit awkward when, say, OSU or Michigan were visiting, but you do what you want.

Or, put another way, it's not sold out.

I think that would be a bit awkward when, say, OSU or Michigan were visiting, but you do what you want.

As far as the common person is concerned, it's sold out. Only the richies can get tickets now.

Top Bottom