YTTV dropped ESPN

I would have stuck with Xfinity if not for them charging for every TV being used. We use 6 and sometimes 7 TVs. If I recall correctly, the HD boxes were roughly $15/mo and the shitty SD boxes were almost $10/mo and didn't get many HD nor premium channels. It's much more convenient to buy a streaming device for every TV and stream. If Xfinity (or DTV or Dish) would offer streaming services with the same cloud DVR and HD capabilities as the streaming companies and not force you to use their crappy boxes, I'd still be a customer.

As I said....I'm paying for convenience. Some things get better. Some get worse. They pissed me off by getting rid of their email app under the lousy guise of "improving the customer experience. But really.....you don't really need boxes for every TV. I have three. One for each of my main TVs and then a third for the bedroom. Everything else can be streamed through the individual channel apps which are free with the cable subscription. Xfinity also added the stream app.....which has the same exact channel lineup (as well as on demand) as the HD boxes....allowing remote viewing.

YTTV dropped ESPN with a quarter left in the NDSU/JMU playoff game last night right when the game was getting good. I now have Fubo.

I went to YTTV streaming from Xfinity 2-3 years ago because it was cheaper by > $50/mo. for what we watch and with the number of TVs we use, but that gap is closing fast.

We spend a lot of time in an RV where Dish portable satellite is the leader. If Dish could get its streaming platform to be competitive (it's not), that's where I'd by for all TV services.
WE also spend a lot of time in our RV so streaming YTTV was great .... all our saved and recorded shows available everywhere, etc.... Is FUBO essentially the same as YTTV?

This is annoying. Disney is getting greedy and wants to drive folks Hulu. Traditional cable/satellite companies will probably keep paying and upping their prices for a whole longer than any of the streaming services, because they have a lot more to lose than a lot of the streaming companies (how many bars and restaurants pay for sports packages to show games? If that goes away that's probably a noticable loss of revenue on top of individual customers leaving too).

I hope this gets sorted out soon.

WE also spend a lot of time in our RV so streaming YTTV was great .... all our saved and recorded shows available everywhere, etc.... Is FUBO essentially the same as YTTV?

Fubo is close to YTTV in my opinion, and actually has better sports options, but doesn't have YTTV's technical flexibility. YTTV is king there. In Fubo, you need to pay a little extra to get the 1,000 hour DVR while YTTV is unlimited and built into the cost. If you're in an RV, you're probably concerned with limited data availability. With YTTV, you could easily reduce the resolution way down to limit data in every device I've tried. In Fubo, you can reduce resolution with the Firestick and Chromecast (I think) but not with Roku (my favorite). I'll add, I have automatic gag reflex in lining the pockets of Google via YTTV, but it was the best streaming option until yesterday.

We have had YTTV for over a year and really liked their format compared to other streaming apps and they had all of the sports I care about.
I do not watch the NBA or baseball so not having Bally was not a concern.
The biggest advantage to us we can use YTTV at our lake cabin because they allow three devices for a single subscription.
So we were able to drop DirectTV satellite for substantial savings.
YTTV had a war with Roku that ended.
This will also end .
I anm sticking with YTTV and if there is something I must see on ESPN I will get their app until it is back on YTTV.

I anm sticking with YTTV and if there is something I must see on ESPN I will get their app until it is back on YTTV.

Unless you use someone else's subscription....I am not sure there are many options. For example....I'm not sure that you can individually subscribe to ESPN. ESPN+ doesn't include ESPN and ESPN2.

Just switched from YTTV to DirectTv Stream. Much more expensive however we get much more programming as well. Including Bally.
You will need POTUS and SCOTUS help to cancel it when YT gets the deal done with Disney.

Yea, it does suck.been happy with YTTV, even after dropping local Fox sports (Bally), but won't stay now or fragment with Disney + as someone else mentioned. Thing of FUBU. Anyone have it?
i’ve got fubu.. they carry espn and espn 2 and that’s it. Best sports provider i’ve used.

Fubo does not carry or include CNN,TBS or TNT.
Right. I was just suggesting it as an option for anyone that wants to wait a few days to see if youtube tv gets their $hit together but still has access to ESPN to watch bowl games.

I downloaded the ESPN channel on Roku and they have their price as 6.99 per/month or 69.99 per year - I will sign upand it gets billed via my Roku account for the bowl season and College buckets then drop it after then.

i’ve got fubu.. they carry espn and espn 2 and that’s it. Best sports provider i’ve used.
Was looking at the channel options and if you upgrade to FUBU Elite (and what good Gopher fan doesn't want to be Elite), you also get ESPNU and ESPN News. Not a big deal but U carries some games or carryover games as does News. $80/mo.
DirectTV stream with all the goodies is $105/mo and Hulu TV with additional simultaneous stream and 1000 hours of recording would be $90/mo if my figures are right.

I downloaded the ESPN channel on Roku and they have their price as 6.99 per/month or 69.99 per year - I will sign upand it gets billed via my Roku account for the bowl season and College buckets then drop it after then.

You might want to double check all that. Those prices are for ESPN+. If it is ESPN+ that you are subscribing to.....I'm pretty sure that doesn't include access to ESPN and ESPN2.

Was looking at the channel options and if you upgrade to FUBU Elite (and what good Gopher fan doesn't want to be Elite), you also get ESPNU and ESPN News. Not a big deal but U carries some games or carryover games as does News. $80/mo.
DirectTV stream with all the goodies is $105/mo and Hulu TV with additional simultaneous stream and 1000 hours of recording would be $90/mo if my figures are right.

I like YTTV, but Fubo has sports add ons that YTTV can't touch. Way better.

You might want to double check all that. Those prices are for ESPN+. If it is ESPN+ that you are subscribing to.....I'm pretty sure that doesn't include access to ESPN and ESPN2.

Yep. An ESPN+ subscription does not get you the regular ESPN channels. You need to subscribe to a full-service TV or streaming provider....which sucks.

Unless you use someone else's subscription....I am not sure there are many options. For example....I'm not sure that you can individually subscribe to ESPN. ESPN+ doesn't include ESPN and ESPN2.
There are very few college BB games on ESPN that I would care to watch and up until right before New Year there are no bowl games on ESPN that interest me.
YTTV has SEC and ACC and had all the ESPNs except +.
Somebody will blink and I expect YTTV will get a bit more expensive but it will still be far less expensive than we were paying for cable and satellite and I got far more sports on YTTV.
My son has Directv streaming and YTTV has everything he has except Bally and a few HBO apps for a lot less money..

There are very few college BB games on ESPN that I would care to watch and up until right before New Year there are no bowl games on ESPN that interest me.
YTTV has SEC and ACC and had all the ESPNs except +.
Somebody will blink and I expect YTTV will get a bit more expensive but it will still be far less expensive than we were paying for cable and satellite and I got far more sports on YTTV.
My son has Directv streaming and YTTV has everything he has except Bally and a few HBO apps for a lot less money..

You get far more sports on YTTV than cable? YTTV has no Bally's.....which eliminates the Twins/Timberwolves/Wild almost entirely. They also carry some Gophers hockey, right? There's now zero ESPN....meaning goodbye bowl season (for the most part). Xfinity carries the SEC Network. No ACC Network right now....which is basically insignificant.

I will be going through various streaming services, getting the 7 day free subscription. I sent YTTV notification this morning that I will be changing streaming outlets if they do not come to agreement by years end.
I joined YTTV when it had a dozen or so, nearly all sports, stations. It was inexpensive and great. Now they have added dozens of shitty stations, jacked up the prices and been bleeding sports programming out the door. I just want my sports channels, otherwise tv is worthless to me.

This is the latest in what I imagine will be a shift in streaming television. Developments like this and the whole ordeal with Bally Sports makes me think direct streaming services, at least for sports, are going to become the main way to go.

This is the latest in what I imagine will be a shift in streaming television. Developments like this and the whole ordeal with Bally Sports makes me think direct streaming services, at least for sports, are going to become the main way to go.
Teams will stream their own games. Or the leagues will.

New find. Fubo has an option called "fan view" for games. It shows game stats and other scores on a sidebar. I don't think YTTV had this. I believed Xfinity has this.

Teams will stream their own games. Or the leagues will.

Small schools and non-revenue college sports have been streaming their own games for a while. Production quality is nowhere near network quality but it's getting better. Sometimes I actually enjoy small-time broadcasts. That said, I don't see Power 5 teams going this route anytime in the near future. The marketing advantages brought by the network ecosystems would be hard to match.

and all its extensions due to negotiation problems with parent company Disney. that means all ABC affiliates as well. I have dropped DirectTV and Dish for this in the past and it looks like YTTV is going to lose my business this time. Bowl season is a crappy time to do this to their subscribers.

Any recommendations for what I should do now? I know I'm not alone.
I mean... you can just cancel it on the spot. It's not like DirectTV / Dish where you have a contract so I wouldn't be too upset about it. Hulu and Fubo are both good options.

Yea, it does suck.been happy with YTTV, even after dropping local Fox sports (Bally), but won't stay now or fragment with Disney + as someone else mentioned. Thing of FUBU. Anyone have it?
FUBU is nice but it limits amount of streaming devices at the same time. I forget the screen limit. They have more 4K and 5K content and the menu and platform are user friendly.

I would have stuck with Xfinity if not for them charging for every TV being used. We use 6 and sometimes 7 TVs. If I recall correctly, the HD boxes were roughly $15/mo and the shitty SD boxes were almost $10/mo and didn't get many HD nor premium channels. It's much more convenient to buy a streaming device for every TV and stream. If Xfinity (or DTV or Dish) would offer streaming services with the same cloud DVR and HD capabilities as the streaming companies and not force you pay for their crappy boxes, I'd still be a customer.
You can use the Xfinity app on TVs without paying for a box. I have that in my garage. No need to pay for the box if you don't mind using the Xfinity Roku app. Full access to all your channels and DVR.

Last edited:

You can use the Xfinity app on TVs without paying for a box. I have that in my garage. No need to pay for the box if you don't mind using the Xfinity Roku app. Full access to all your channels and DVR.
Don't Xfinity where I live. Just horrible Frontier, who I dropped a couple years ago.

The Stream app is a super nice addition. Certain channel's apps are a little poor....and the stream app is a nice alternative. Or if certain channel apps are just running funky. Almost makes up for the fact that they got rid of the email app.

The Stream app is a super nice addition. Certain channel's apps are a little poor....and the stream app is a nice alternative. Or if certain channel apps are just running funky. Almost makes up for the fact that they got rid of the email app.
I hate using the roku remote which is why I probably won't ever drop Xfinity, but for my garage where I only use the TV a couple times a month, it's the perfect solution. For people that maybe only need a couple TVs with the Xfinity remote it's a good way to save some money and have cable tv in all the other rooms.

Yep. An ESPN+ subscription does not get you the regular ESPN channels. You need to subscribe to a full-service TV or streaming provider....which sucks.
Thanks for clarifying. if they had reruns off their games a day or two after I'm in - :i prefer not to watch a blowout (unless we're involved) of some random bowl game, if possible.

Top Bottom