You're the new coach. Assuming everyone "wants to come back. Who do you keep and who do you have the transfer portal talk with?

It's going to be such a weird few years because of the "free year", this is a really difficult decision. I'd keep everyone who I think would be in my top 8 next year.

I'm also not going to sweat losing anyone.

We have players who can play if coached correctly.

I definitely want Ihnen back.

I'd like Williams back.

I hope Johnson and Robbins stay.

I like Mashburn, but I think he is really limited. If he was a great pure shooter, I'd for sure want him back, but he has proved to be average at shooting thus far. I hope he stays, but I won't freak out if he leaves like some people.

I know nothing about Mitchell. I want him to stay just to see what happens.

Freeman. Meh.

Gach looks like he's never played organized basketball before, so whatever. But I have a feeling he would improve and at least contribute under the right coach.

Carr is gone.

Robbins and mash. The rest can come and go as they see fit. I’m not even sure I want mash given his lack of height. Unless there is another taller pony guard that wants to come here.

You keep everyone. Already have to (probably) replace Carr, Curry, Johnson, Mutaf, and Omersa. You don't jettison guys when you already have to fill five schollies.
New coach will bring in plenty of transfers

You keep everyone. Already have to (probably) replace Carr, Curry, Johnson, Mutaf, and Omersa. You don't jettison guys when you already have to fill five schollies.

I wonder if the new coach could convince Mutaf to stay....or is he already gone?

For a new coach probably not a great idea to push anyone out the door unless you have someone that is an upgrade coming in. That said there are a few guys that if they make the decision to go I wouldn't stop them and only about 3-5 I would try to talk out of going.

Williams, Robbins and Mashburn (provided he can be coached up to improve somewhat on D), Gach and Johnson if he is interested in coming back.

Beyond that I am starting over with the rest of the roster.

For a new coach probably not a great idea to push anyone out the door unless you have someone that is an upgrade coming in. That said there are a few guys that if they make the decision to go I wouldn't stop them and only about 3-5 I would try to talk out of going.

My guess is the new coach might have a player or two (recruit) who they would want to come to MN.

He already signed to play in Spain.

Ah. Probably should have known that.

Side note....haven't gotten the new Chevelle album yet (shipping)....but the first few songs released have been very good. Got my Rock Fest tickets for July 17th too. Stupid that they only play for an hour....but oh well. Hopefully a full tour is in the works.

Side note....haven't gotten the new Chevelle album yet (shipping)....but the first few songs released have been very good. Got my Rock Fest tickets for July 17th too. Stupid that they only play for an hour....but oh well. Hopefully a full tour is in the works.

It is awesome. It's already right up there with Sci-Fi Crimes as one of my favorites. I've had it pretty much on repeat since yesterday.

I would keep everyone who wants to stay, and bring in recruits to supplement. I think there is some untapped talent on this team that could greatly benefit from better coaching.

Mash, Gabe, Tre, Johnson, Robbins, Ihnen, Mitchell, Thompson.

I would add Pohto to this list. Skilled kid with a Big Ten ready body that won't mind playing backup 5 minutes unlike most transfers. I think everyone else sticks around with Ihnen being the question mark, we've really mismanaged that kid's development.

I would add Pohto to this list. Skilled kid with a Big Ten ready body that won't mind playing backup 5 minutes unlike most transfers. I think everyone else sticks around with Ihnen being the question mark, we've really mismanaged that kid's development.
If a kid doesn't have it he doesn't have it... I don't think Ihnen's lack of development can be completely blamed on our program. Great players will find ways to get better no matter who they play for...

If a kid doesn't have it he doesn't have it... I don't think Ihnen's lack of development can be completely blamed on our program. Great players will find ways to get better no matter who they play for...

While I agree with your overall point, you need opportunity as well. Throughout the Pitino era, he's had six sometimes seven guys that he has blind faith in and then there's the others that are playing on pins and needles because one mistake gets them yanked. That was the case with Tre earlier in the season but we've seen recently that with an extended look and the opportunity to play through some mistakes that there's something to work with there. Ihnen's looked a good rebounder, defender and flashed some potential as a shooter when he's seeing a little more of the floor.

Now I'm not saying these guys should be playing 20 minutes a night but I think knowing what your role is in the rotation can give an underclassman comfort knowing even if they have a defensive lapse or take a bad shot that they won't be banished to the dog house. That's been the approach taken with Mashburn all year and he's looked better in recent weeks because of it.

Are you liking Medicine at Midnight? I love it. Just bought a turntable and ordered the vinyl to be delivered today.

Are you liking Medicine at Midnight? I love it. Just bought a turntable and ordered the vinyl to be delivered today.

I've only listened through a couple of times so far....but on first impressions....probably their best since Wasting Light.

Also....I need to buy a new turntable.

I've only listened through a couple of times so far....but on first impressions....probably their best since Wasting Light.

Also....I need to buy a new turntable.
Agree. I relistened to Concrete and Gold recently. That is a great one that I underrate, but this new one got me right away. It’s a fun album.

Maybe I’m off on this, but I don’t see any bad character kids on the team. Why would you make any leave that don’t want to? There will be plenty of spots for you to fill with your guys anyways. Kids leave and if you feel you’re a better coach and developer, there is no better way to prove it than with the kids who are already there.

Ihnen has attributes (length, quick reflexes, athleticism, and intelligence) that you can't coach. He just needs more skill development (ball handling particularly), a little more muscle, and some confidence. I don't think he'll ever be a great player but he can be a very valuable 20+ minute a game player with the right coaching. If I were coach, I definitely would want him to stay.

Mash, Gabe, Tre, Johnson, Robbins, Ihnen, Mitchell, Thompson.
I agree with is but don’t want Mashburn back...plays poor defense, not great at PG, and at 6’1” he has trouble driving to the basket and shooting over taller guards.
We need a play-making PG who plays great defense.

It really depends on who the coach is, what his mentality is and who that coach thinks he can bring here. Robbins is a sure fire Big Ten starter. Johnson, Mashburn and Gabe you bring back if Johnson will do it (he'd be a good Musselman type player). Williams is progressing- I'd bring him back. Carr won't return but if he would then of course bring him back. Then it is sitting down with the rest of the players and talking about what they would need to do to be a factor next year. Ihnen and Mitchell, muscle and ball handling. Are they all in? Freeman is going to be a nice back up center but then it depends what the new guy thinks he has in Pohto and Thompson. Gach- I'm not sure.

We have players who can play if coached correctly.

I definitely want Ihnen back.

I'd like Williams back.

I hope Johnson and Robbins stay.

I like Mashburn, but I think he is really limited. If he was a great pure shooter, I'd for sure want him back, but he has proved to be average at shooting thus far. I hope he stays, but I won't freak out if he leaves like some people.

I know nothing about Mitchell. I want him to stay just to see what happens.

Freeman. Meh.

Gach looks like he's never played organized basketball before, so whatever. But I have a feeling he would improve and at least contribute under the right coach.

Carr is gone.
Mashburn has good form. His shooting is a shot selection issue. He takes a ton of bad shots and I hope the next coach can fix that with an offense that works for him. He could be really good.

Top Bottom