You're the new coach. Assuming everyone "wants to come back. Who do you keep and who do you have the transfer portal talk with?

Maybe I’m off on this, but I don’t see any bad character kids on the team. Why would you make any leave that don’t want to? There will be plenty of spots for you to fill with your guys anyways. Kids leave and if you feel you’re a better coach and developer, there is no better way to prove it than with the kids who are already there.

It's not about character, but rather fit. Most coaches, outside of RP, should recruit specific players for specific roles in their system.

If there's a kid on a team I'm the new coach on who wont fit with what I'm trying to do, I'll tell the kid they most likely wont get many minutes for whatever reasons.

or something like that.

It's not about character, but rather fit. Most coaches, outside of RP, should recruit specific players for specific roles in their system.

If there's a kid on a team I'm the new coach on who wont fit with what I'm trying to do, I'll tell the kid they most likely wont get many minutes for whatever reasons.

or something like that.

Good coaches figure out a way to use the talents of their players. "Fit" is something that has to do with whether you are imbalanced because you have too many of the same type of players or you have some players who are selfish or simply won't listen. With regards to the first condition, good coaches will even figure out how to make an imbalanced team work. Fran McCaffrey started Garza and four shooting guards most of this season. North Carolina won a national championship a few years back with essentially only one starting guard.

Robbins, Johnson, Gabe, Mashburn, Williams, Ihnen, Freeman and Mitchell can all come back as far as I’m concerned. All of them are helpful or may be helpful or are unknowns like Mitchell.

This is assuming Carr isn’t willing/able to stay. Obviously would have him back.

Who knows where Omersa stands. Gach hasn’t provided much. I don’t think I’m missing anyone.

I honestly don’t hate the roster. I hate how the roster was used and how they played.

or something like that.
That’s kind of my point. I would be honest to all the guys and where they fit. I’d also be recruiting to what my planned style of play is, but I’d keep the guys who were here already if they wanted to stay. I don’t see any guys on the roster who can’t fit numerous types of offensive/defensive schemes. Some will leave on their own volition anyways

I don’t think there is anyone other than Carr and Robbins you work hard to talk into staying if they want to leave. I think you take anyone back who wants to come back.

start fresh with guys who want to be here

Carr, Mashburn, Robbins will all be gone. I don't want any excuses from the people who wanted Richard fired either. Get it done.

Gach is a talented player that is going to have surgery on his foot this offseason. Let me guess.....that's Richards fault too LOL

Gach is a talented player that is going to have surgery on his foot this offseason. Let me guess.....that's Richards fault too LOL

Is one particular injury Pitino's fault? No.

But when half of your seasons are derailed due to injuries and you end up with a .360 conference winning percentage over 8 years, that is on Pitino.

Last edited:

I would add Pohto to this list. Skilled kid with a Big Ten ready body that won't mind playing backup 5 minutes unlike most transfers. I think everyone else sticks around with Ihnen being the question mark, we've really mismanaged that kid's development.
Probably so, especially if Freeman leaves.

I'd keep anyone who can hit = or > 40% of their shots or plays lock down defense.

Well when your coming into a new kitchen its hard to cook when the cupboards bare so..

I'm going to recruit:

Kalesheur - Pretty obvious what a stabilizing force he has on the team even if he can't hit the water from a boat sometimes. (Sorry Gabe, we need you!)

Robbins - Guy was all-NCAA when he was on and healthy. Would be easier than finding another center.

Johnson - If he wants to come back he seems like a glue guy to me.

Williams - He was getting consistent, still needs work defensively and in his head.

Ihnen - Still hasn't tapped his potential.

Getting dangerously close to trotting out the same team here. But those top 3 are no brainers and Williams and Ihnen are solid pieces. Here come the ones I think can be saved.

Mashburn - Needs to learn to love defense. I think he could be coached up.

Mitchell - Kid needs a chance. I got no idea what he is capable of or if he has put any weight on or anything.

Freeman - Only keeping if I couldn't find other bigs to take his place. Back-up at best.

That is it. Wouldn't even consider anyone else. Would need some solid interviews from Williams, Mashburn, and Mitchell to ensure they are going to buy into defense first and play in the new system. Or they are gone. Everyone is going to know there will be no more free passes.

Anyone under 6’7” must be a good shooter, except the PG who still needs to be at least average. That means Gach and Williams must go. Terrible shooters. Mashburn stays only if he is deemed a posible PG. Not worth keeping as a shooting guard. Keep Robbins for sure. No strong feelings about the rest of the bigs.

Anyone under 6’7” must be a good shooter, except the PG who still needs to be at least average. That means Gach and Williams must go. Terrible shooters. Mashburn stays only if he is deemed a posible PG. Not worth keeping as a shooting guard. Keep Robbins for sure. No strong feelings about the rest of the bigs.

Well, since this comment was only posted last night, let's update it for the current reality. Williams and Mashburn are gone already. Carr is gone but everyone figured that anyway. Mitchell and Freeman are also gone. So far, assuming Johnson decides to play another year and everyone else decides to stay, we have the following remaining players:

Robbins
Johnson
Gach
Gabe
Ihnen
Newly committed Jamison Battle
And 2 incoming freshmen who haven't asked to be released from their LOIs

At this point, I don't think you ask anyone to go. If the coach wants a full roster, he needs to recruit 5 more players; even with 12 scholarship players he needs to recruit 4 more. Recruiting competition should be very strong because many teams need multiple players.

Of all the players that could have stayed, Ihnen seems to have the most untapped potential IMO. It would be fun to see him play with a full set of offensive moves in his bag. Very happy he is the one who decided to stay, he does at least get to play with one former teammate this season (Willis).

Of all the players that could have stayed, Ihnen seems to have the most untapped potential IMO. It would be fun to see him play with a full set of offensive moves in his bag. Very happy he is the one who decided to stay, he does at least get to play with one former teammate this season (Willis).

Yeah, I think he has a higher ceiling than many of those who decided to leave that didn't get much playing time.

I hope he stays and that Ben and the rest of the staff can get the most out of him

Top Bottom