Your favourite movies please!

Reaction score
Thought people could mention their favourite movies old and new.

I am a huge fan of Mike Leigh and especially this one:

Mike Leigh portray nice people as fans of The Cure and evil ones as fans of Morrissey. I fall in the latter category then though I like The Cure as well.

MV5BMjA3Y2I4NjAtMDQyZS00ZGJhLWEwMzgtODBiNzE5Zjc1Nzk1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc2MDU0NDE@._V1_.jpg

" Parallel tales of two sexually obsessed men, one hurting and annoying women physically and mentally, one wandering around the city talking to strangers and experiencing dimensions of life. "

David Thewlis' best performance ever.

I was very, very impressed with Barely Legal 168. The characters had some real depth, the acting was intense and meaningful, and quite honestly, I thought it was a massive upgrade from Barely Legal 167, in so many ways across the board. Just a top notch cinematic marvel from start to finish

I was very, very impressed with Barely Legal 168. The characters had some real depth, the acting was intense and meaningful, and quite honestly, I thought it was a massive upgrade from Barely Legal 167, in so many ways across the board. Just a top notch cinematic marvel from start to finish
The soundtrack was better too. I find myself humming the main score while I do the dishes.

Mike Leigh portray nice people as fans of The Cure and evil ones as fans of Morrissey. I fall in the latter category then though I like The Cure as well.

MV5BMjA3Y2I4NjAtMDQyZS00ZGJhLWEwMzgtODBiNzE5Zjc1Nzk1L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc2MDU0NDE@._V1_.jpg

" Parallel tales of two sexually obsessed men, one hurting and annoying women physically and mentally, one wandering around the city talking to strangers and experiencing dimensions of life. "

Well, my favorites are Schindler's List and Apocalypse Now.

But, about Mike Leigh. During the nineties, I would see that Siskel and Ebert always raved about his films and he seemed to be the darling of critics in general. I wasn't that motivated to see his films because I figured they were like art house stuff. In 1996, well before I moved to Minnesota, I saw Fargo and, like most others, was delighted by the film and Frances McDormand's performance in the lead role. At the Oscars for that year, Fargo was nominated for a number of Oscars including best picture and best actress. Mike Leigh's film, Secrets and Lies, was also nominated for those two awards but I didn't see it. Frances McDormand won the best actress Oscar award that year and I thought that was well deserved.

It wasn't until 1998 that I decided to rent Secrets and Lies and watched it by myself. I was absolutely blown away. I never saw another movie depict such palpable family pain and eventual healing. I didn't recall seeing the best actress nominee, Brenda Blethyn, before but I would never forget her name after. If there has ever been a better performance by an actress in a film, I don't think I've seen it. Sorry, Frances McDormand, the Academy was wrong. In any other year, maybe you deserved to win but not that one. I saw one or two of his other films since (never saw Naked); they were good enough but Secrets and Lies would be pretty difficult to top.

I am more of a classic movie fan - or at least an older movie fan.

My favorite movie of all time is the 1933 version of King Kong.

My favorite genres are monster movies, westerns, and swashbucklers.

Lately, I've been on a big film noir kick - crime movies from the 40's. Everybody wore hats and smoked constantly. In my next life, I want to come back as Humphrey Bogart or Robert Mitchum. Or, if I come back on a lower budget, Dana Andrews.

But, about Mike Leigh. During the nineties, I would see that Siskel and Ebert always raved about his films and he seemed to be the darling of critics in general. I wasn't that motivated to see his films because I figured they were like art house stuff. In 1996, well before I moved to Minnesota, I saw Fargo and, like most others, was delighted by the film and Frances McDormand's performance in the lead role. At the Oscars for that year, Fargo was nominated for a number of Oscars including best picture and best actress. Mike Leigh's film, Secrets and Lies, was also nominated for those two awards but I didn't see it. Frances McDormand won the best actress Oscar award that year and I thought that was well deserved.

It wasn't until 1998 that I decided to rent Secrets and Lies and watched it by myself. I was absolutely blown away. I never saw another movie depict such palpable family pain and eventual healing. I didn't recall seeing the best actress nominee, Brenda Blethyn, before but I would never forget her name after. If there has ever been a better performance by an actress in a film, I don't think I've seen it. Sorry, Frances McDormand, the Academy was wrong. In any other year, maybe you deserved to win but not that one. I saw one or two of his other films since (never saw Naked); they were good enough but Secrets and Lies would be pretty difficult to top.

The first Mike Leigh movie I saw was Happy Go Lucky, which is lighter fare by Leigh's standards. I walked away in love with Sally Hawkins and a big fan of Eddie Marsan.

Last edited:

Yep, blown away is the best way to describe how I always felt watching a Mike Leigh movie. I always loved a good old english kitchen sink drama and feel that Leigh falls into that category most of the time.

My number 2 favourite Leigh movie however is this one:

All_or_Nothing_DVD_cover.jpg

Incredibly bleak in a way that I like and reminded me of people and situations I found myself in when in Manchester back in the 90's. Leigh is of course a Salford man but I always preferred the people of Stretford or as Morrissey called it "Stressford".

Watch it here:

The first Mike Leigh movie I saw was Happy Go Lucky, which is lighter fair by Leigh's standards. I walked away in love with Sally Hawkins and a big fan of Eddie Marsan.
Marsan is a fantastic actor and the italian that tried to copy Leigh's style using Marsan in it did really well. As you say that movie is very different and not as heavy and very funny and filmed in and around Finsbury Park in London I believe.
If you've been to Camden you've probably bounced into those type of characters.

If you watched it not knowing the actual director you would be excused for thinking it was Leigh so I see it as an italian tribute to him.

54cef13486562-364x538.jpg

You guys should watch this when you can:

Minnesota and the runestone found long before Columbus came along.

Great movie.

As a swede you of course get asked what Bergman movie you like the most and for me it was always Fanny and Alexander by far which is a Christmas tradition here on national tv and I also managed to watch parts of it in a London hotel once which felt a bit odd.

I identify with Alexander a lot especially when it comes to the paranormal aspects of it and I share with him that I did see a marble statue move when I was a kid.

In November 2018 I went with my girlfriend to Uppsala the birthtown of Bergman as they celebrated what would have been his 100th birthday. Movies and things projected onto walls of houses around the places where they shot the actual movie in cold and dark which added to it.

I parked my car in front of what in the movie is the front of the theatre. People from all over the world including a gang of very cute young american women.

Fanny%26Alexander.jpg

We recently lost the swedish/finnish Jörn Donner who accepted the Oscar for this movie seen here:

There has been a number of movies about The Kray twins but the best one by far is of course the original one featuring the amazing Kemp twins famous from the band Spandau Ballet.

d05232a1d50cfde0741a5531702aa1524a4cf840.jpg

If anyone has read the books about them then there is a mention of a man named Paul and he ended up in Stretford in Manchester living above legendary Man United player Lou Macari's chip shop. The locals called him Jack the Lad but I befriended this quite weirdly looking man who one day told me about his time working for the Kray Twins down in London.

I didn't know what to think then but later got it confirmed and I once bought an old United shirt off him that I couldn't find and he folded a massive banner I was given by my hooligan friends there. They had it for away games in Europe and it has blood stains on it still as it hangs in my cinema room/football museum with all the signed and framed shirts from back then.

I was the only one there who was nice to Paul and one St. Patrick's Day some local lads put him on a snooker table and painted him all green. Bullied and looked down on but still with a lot of dignity about him. He always waved goodbye when I was heading back home to Sweden taking a taxi to the airport.

God bless his soul.

Last edited:

Alright, moving past the obvious ones (Godfathers I & II, Casablanca, Some Like It Hot), I'll go on a roll of favorites, starting with a personal favorite which was my security blanket through my 20's:
swingers_original_film_art_spo_2000x.jpg

Love this as a movie and seeing Matthau playing it serious:
Charley Varrick.jpg

Roger Ebert said of this movie, "The Day of the Jackal is two and a half hours long and it feels like it's over in 15 minutes."
Day of the Jackal.jpg

I adore Audrey Hepburn and amongst all her movies, I keep coming back to this one-a wonderfully tense plot and solid acting by Hepburn and a very young Alan Arkin:
Wait Until Dark.jpg

Favorite Movies:

1. The Right Stuff
2. The Player
3. LA Confidential
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Royal Tenenbaums
7. Into the Wild
8. Cinema Paridiso
9. Almost Famous
10. Saving Private Ryan

Honorable mention, Rocky, It's a Wonderful Life, Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting, Reds, Zero Dark 30, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Goodfellas, Best in Show, & Being There...just off the top of my head.

Update, had to add Fargo.

Last edited:

Favorite Movies:

1. The Right Stuff
2. The Player
3. LA Confidential
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Royal Tenenbaums
7. Into the Wild
8. Cinema Paridiso
9. Almost Famous
10. Saving Private Ryan

Honorable mention, Rocky, It's a Wonderful Life, Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting, Reds, Zero Dark 30, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Goodfellas, Best in Show, & Being There...just off the top of my head.

The Player and LA Confidential are right up there for me too.

Lukas Moodysson started off as a poet before he became a director and in 1998 this movie made a lot of noise around the world. Among Morrissey fans cause of a poster featuring him and among swedes for the music that included Yvonne and Broder Daniel and Robyn whose song gave it the international title "Show me love" although the original title is "Fucking Åmål" and Åmål is a place that has always been like a joke among swedes because there really is nothing worth going to that place for.

A teenage love story depicting Sweden and that particular area back then very well. Became a bit of a cult classic early on.

91fwkVALnoL._SL1500_.jpg

As a sidenote Lukas Moodysson last year had his tv show/series "Gösta" as the first swedish production on HBO. I absolutely loved it and how well Lukas managed to portray a modern day swedish man caught inbetween all the roles he is supposed to take upon himself until it becomes a bit too much.
Nothing I have seen captures the swedish existence anxiety better not since Bergman anyway.

Sadly only a few of the first episodes come with english subtitles.

" Gösta is a 28-year-old child psychologist who gets his first job in a small rural area. He moves from Stockholm and rents a cabin in the middle of the forest. Gösta wants to be the nicest person in the world and helps everyone he meets. Sometimes things go well, but not always .. "

Some may recognise the man playing Gösta from the very swedish inspired pisstake "Midsommar".

maxresdefault.jpg

The fantastic summary of the Madchester days and before that too. The genius Anthony Wilson who found all the great bands and acts but for some reason failed to see the greatness in The Smiths.

MV5BYTcyYzMyZGUtOGExYi00ZTljLWE3NDEtMGQyYTZiNmIzMzRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ5MzY0NjM@._V1_.jpg

Favorite Movies:

1. The Right Stuff
2. The Player
3. LA Confidential
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Royal Tenenbaums
7. Into the Wild
8. Cinema Paridiso
9. Almost Famous
10. Saving Private Ryan

I realized a glaring omission on my favorites, Lone Star. I will slide that into to #7 and knock the others down a rung. Sorry Spielberg.

Other honorable mentions I thought about, Local Hero, Flirting with Disaster, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Terms of Endearment & Dazed and Confused.

Last edited:

Top Ten: No order necessary.

Blade Runner: The original 1982
Blade Runner 2049: 2017
Rollerball: 1975
Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 1975
Dazed and Confused: 1993
Fast Times and Ridgemount High: 1982
Godfather 2: 1974
Cable Guy: 1996
The Shining: 1977
All of the Marx Brothers movies: 1929-1949.

Ask me a week from now and my list will probably be different.

Top Ten: No order necessary.

Blade Runner: The original 1982
Blade Runner 2049: 2017
Rollerball: 1975
Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 1975
Dazed and Confused: 1993
Fast Times and Ridgemount High: 1982
Godfather 2: 1974
Cable Guy: 1996
The Shining: 1977
All of the Marx Brothers movies: 1929-1949.

Ask me a week from now and my list will probably be different.

I would struggle to pick a list like that and you are right it changes with time though some remain eternal favourites.

The Shining is one of my all time favourite movies. Did you like the recent sequel?

Last edited:

Controversial to say that American Beauty is a favourite movie with Kevin Spacey in it and all. But for me that movie is amazing in so many ways. Funny thing with Spacey is that he has this swedish friend who has this amazing house in the Stockholm archipelago. They met at some airport and became instant friends and ever since Spacey has gone to visit the swedish man and his family.

Woody Harrelson loves Sweden too and has been to this fast food joint out in nowhere twice now in recent years at summertime. However, since he visited Järna outside of Stockholm I believe he perhaps go there as the swedish anthroposophy movement is based there and boy are they in for hard times now they will force the latest vaccine upon us.

5a00d32e-314d-49cd-a0ae-72532f0dd8da

Sorry about this sidenote.

Top Bottom