Rutgers
Wisconsin
Indiana

Small gap

Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern

nobody in tier 1 loses to anyone in tier 2 or 3

tier 3 will finish with fewer than 5 combined wins against tier 2.

Tier 1 - Iowa, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan

Wildcard - MSU

Tier 2 - Giant currently indistinguishable crab bucket of everyone else. Math says a couple of these crabs will crawl out of the bucket to the freedom of an 8 or 9 win season, and they are probably in the West. Our goal is to be that crab. We'll need a healthy CrAB.

tOSU
Iowa
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern

I'm trying to decide if Wisconsin's offense is as bad as it has looked so far. They had 43 yards on 32 carries yesterday. When was the last time we saw a Badger team that couldn't run the ball?

Their defense is solid, as always.

Last edited:

Nobody tops Indiana so far. 3 top 6 teams, 2 of them on the road. But wisconsin has played a difficult group to start.

I suspect when it's all said and done Nebraska will have the toughest schedule in the West. They've played Oklahoma and Michigan State so far and they have Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa to go. They've also played their two toughest opponents close (one score loss to OK and 3 point overtime loss to Michigan State). Wisconsin has played 3 tough teams but they were routed in two of those three losses.

I'm guessing several here still want to have tOSU at #1 to make our loss look better.

PSU/Iowa are clearly 1 and 2. IMO.

It's not just that. Our memories and expectations aren't limited to the first five weeks of this season. Ohio State has a long tradition of dominating this league. Both PSU and Iowa have beaten OSU in recent years but they don't do that very often. OSU also stumbles from time to time early in the season but usually recovers to have a great overall season. CJ Stroud has settled in nicely for RS freshman. Rutgers has not been a bad team so far this year. Rutgers played well at Michigan in a close loss while holding them to 275 yards total offense and 20 points but gave up 541 yards and 52 points to OSU. Rutgers might win 7 games this year.

It's not just that. Our memories and expectations aren't limited to the first five weeks of this season. Ohio State has a long tradition of dominating this league. Both PSU and Iowa have beaten OSU in recent years but they don't do that very often. OSU also stumbles from time to time early in the season but usually recovers to have a great overall season. CJ Stroud has settled in nicely for RS freshman. Rutgers has not been a bad team so far this year. Rutgers played well at Michigan in a close loss while holding them to 275 yards total offense and 20 points but gave up 541 yards and 52 points to OSU. Rutgers might win 7 games this year.
Everything you said is accurate, but I thought this thread was rating what we're seeing after five weeks?

Ohio State simply is not the top RIGHT NOW.

Not projecting ahead. How I see them based on combination of who they’ve beat + how they’re playing right now.

1 Penn State
2 Iowa
3 Ohio State
4 Michigan
5 Michigan State
6 Nebraska
7 Minnesota
8 Maryland
9 Purdue
10 Wisconsin
11 Rutgers
12 Indiana
13 Illinois
14 Northwestern

Rutgers was the team I had the most trouble placing.

I'm trying to decide if Wisconsin's offense is as bad as it has looked so far. They had 43 yards on 23 carries yesterday. When was the last time we saw a Badger team that couldn't run the ball?

Their defense is solid, as always.
The defense is better than solid. The offense is as bad as it seems.

when Mertz plays well it is average. When he doesn’t it is horrible.

the running back transfer from Clemson needs to hold up or it could end up being worse than horrible

tOSU
Iowa
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern

I think you're rating Wisconsin too highly. Remember, any team can have a bad season. Even OSU had one in 2011. The next season Iowa was 4-8. Wisconsin currently is 1-3, had their starting QB (who isn't that great anyway) knocked out, and the backup didn't inspire any confidence yesterday. Yes, they've played 3 tough opponents but lost all of those games and were routed in two of them. I also think you have Indiana rated a bit too highly and Rutgers a bit too low. Right now I would bet that Rutgers will be bowl eligible at the end of the season and Indiana will not.

What say you?

Iowa - No one can stop their defense and win.
Penn St -
Michigan - This year Michigan beats OSU
Ohio St - Great team that faltered

Michigan St - In a group of their own

Nebraska - Rumors of their death have been greatly exaggerated
Minnesota - Offense isn't there to beat Nebraska
Purdue - Solid team
Wisconsin - When you are 1-3, maybe you aren't that great anymore. Welcome to the bottom half.

Maryland - Was good then Iowa
Rutgers - Was decent then OSU
Indiana - Was not decent
Illinois - Might beat WI
Northwestern - rebuilding year. Will win Big Ten West probably in 2023.

Not projecting ahead. How I see them based on combination of who they’ve beat + how they’re playing right now.

1 Penn State
2 Iowa
3 Ohio State
4 Michigan
5 Michigan State
6 Nebraska
7 Minnesota
8 Maryland
9 Purdue
10 Wisconsin
11 Rutgers
12 Indiana
13 Illinois
14 Northwestern

Rutgers was the team I had the most trouble placing.

Right now I would bet that Rutgers will be bowl eligible at the end of the season. Your rankings look good to me. I might consider placing Wisconsin a rank or two higher but I don't think they'll finish the season in the top half of the league.

Everything you said is accurate, but I thought this thread was rating what we're seeing after five weeks?

Inevitably any sort of estimation of a team has to be a combination of how well they've played so far in the season AND that team's prospects for the remainder of the season. No historical record books ever display team standings 40% into a season. Iowa and Penn State might be better than OSU but that is debatable. We'll find out during the season with PSU and quite possibly in the Big Ten championship with Iowa.

Ohio state
Iowa
Penn state
Michigan

gap

Michigan state

gap

Wisconsin - Nebraska (defenses significantly better than the rest of these teams)
Maryland - Minnesota (still don't believe in Gopher defense against a good offense - Purdue has not looked good against anyone, and Colorado awful. They are improved from first two weeks though)
Purdue
Rutgers
Indiana

gap

Illinois
Northwestern

1. Ohio St
2. Penn St
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Michigan St
6. Maryland
7. Nebraska
8. Rutgers
9. Wisconsin
10. Minnesota
11. Indiana
12. Purdue
13. Illinois
14. Northwestern

What say you?

Ohio St
Penn St
Michigan
Iowa
Michigan St
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Rutgers
Maryland
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Tier one- OSU
Tier two- Iowa, PSU, Michigan, Michigan St
Tier three- Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska
Tier four- Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana
Tier five- Illinois, NW

State Pen
Iowa
OSU
Mich
Mich State
Nebraska
Minn
Rutgers
Purdue
Wiscatskin
Mary
Indy
Illi
NW

State Pen
Iowa
OSU
Mich
Mich State
Nebraska
Minn
Rutgers
Purdue
Wiscatskin
Mary
Indy
Illi
NW
I’ve got Nebraska ahead of Mich State. Nebraska had played well in some tough games and has rolled over lesser competition. Their offense is firing and so is their D. They are getting battle tested. And they have a lot of talent which, uncharacteristically in the Frost era, they are deploying well.

What say you?

Ohio St
Penn St
Michigan
Iowa
Michigan St
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Rutgers
Maryland
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Of the orders I've seen, I most agree with yours. I might switch Michigan State and Wisconsin. I feel like Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Minnesota are the biggest wildcards on the list as I could see all of them moving significantly in either direction by the end of the year. Ohio State still seems like a strong favorite to win the B1G despite their early season struggles.

Iowa - PSU we will find out soon enough
tOSU
Team Khaki
MSU
Minnesota - Nebraska - Wisconsin
Maryland
Purdue
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

Gophers have two weeks to get their offense back on track. We shall see if they can do it. Need to get back to 30 points per game or at least close.

thats fair, but it's also point outing the tOHSU bias is for different reasons than you're claiming

I prefer the tier approach to the ranking 1-14.

Contenders - These top 4 have really separated from the rest of the pack so far
PSU
Iowa
Ohio State
Michigan

Teams that could still be factors in division races - but big gap between them and contenders
Michigan State
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin - just barely hanging on in this tier but schedule gets a lot easier going forward

Decent but on the outside looking in
Rutgers
Maryland
Purdue

Better luck next year
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

Surprised at how many people have OSU number 1. PSU and Iowa are both undefeated, and its not like OSU has any wins against good teams to offset the loss. We are OSU's best win, and we are not as good a win as Auburn for PSU and probably not an appreciably better win right now than the Maryland win for Iowa (though I hope that changes as the season goes on).

With PSU and Iowa playing this weekend, I have to assume that the winner of that game will be the consensus number 1 next week.

No idea what to do with Wisconsin ... they look horrific on offense ... but so does most of the B1G West to some extent ... and everytime we talk about how it's over for Wisconsin, it's not. But man they look bad on offense ...

Top Bottom