You won't believe what I think...

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
I think the Gophers are going to run a West Coast offense.

This will force the opposing defense to play Cover-2.

When the opposing defense aligns in Cover-2, we will have equal numbers at the line of scrimmage -- and we will hand the ball to Taylor, and he will gash them.

Then the defense will drop Cover-2. ...And the offense will return to short passes.

Rinse and repeat.

It will shock everyone and be a thing of beauty.

Gotta run -- I'll be back later to tell you why I think that, should it be the case that anyone cares. LOL.

When the opposing defense aligns in Cover-2, we will have equal numbers at the line of scrimmage -- and we will hand the ball to Taylor, and he will gash them.

Then the defense will drop Cover-2. ...And the offense will return to short passes.

Rinse and repeat.

Gotta run -- I'll be back later to tell you why I think that, should it be the case that anyone cares. LOL.
Did a little birdie tell you?

I think there is a chance of that happening.

as long as someone grabs Fleck, ties him up and gags him, and locks him in a storage closet during the game.

seriously, I hope the Gophers throw the ball more - but as long as Fleck is the Head Coach, the run-pass ratio is never going to be 50-50. If it gets to be 55 run/45 pass, I would be very happy.

FWIW - in the Fleck era at MN, here are the run-pass ratios by % for each season:
2017: 70% run- 30% pass
2018: 60% run- 40% pass
2019: 63% run- 37% pass
2020: 62% run- 38% pass
2021: 70% run - 30% pass
2022: 67% run- 33% pass
2023: 62% run- 38% pass

7 seasons and the more balanced season still went 60/40 run/pass.

as long as someone grabs Fleck, ties him up and gags him, and locks him in a storage closet during the game.

seriously, I hope the Gophers throw the ball more - but as long as Fleck is the Head Coach, the run-pass ratio is never going to be 50-50. If it gets to be 55 run/45 pass, I would be very happy.

FWIW - in the Fleck era at MN, here are the run-pass ratios by % for each season:

I'm fine with that ratio as long as it wins games. Run the clock, keep your defense off the field. Especially a good strategy if your defense is a liability (like last year).

Last edited:

I'm fine with that ratio as long as it wins games. Run the clock, keep your defense off the field. Especially a good strategy of your defense is a liability (like last year).

and you typically are less talented and have less depth. It's the only way to stay competitive

Rinse and repeat.

Interesting take. I want to believe that the Gophs will take what the defense gives them.
But here's an alternate view, based on prior history: ... and when opposing defenses drop cover-2, we will continue to hand the ball to Taylor and run him into a wall of 8 or 9 defenders. Except it won't be Taylor, at least against UNC. Might be Taylor by the Iowa game.
Go Gophers!

Gophers were only slightly better than the service academies in passing in 2023. It would take quite a leap in production. I just remember so many errant throws and dropped passes in 2023.

Also, Taylor is injured.

Rinse and repeat.

Do we have receivers that can get separation in a short passing game or are they better suited to longer passes? That will determine whether or not we go west coast or are successful at it.

Let's see:

Last season, 38% pass rate; 6-7 record.

2019, 37% pass rate; 11-2 record, finished #10 in the nation.

I understand that there are more than a few posters here who really, really, really want to see more passing... but from the numbers you posted I'm just not seeing any evidence that higher passing rate = more wins. What am I missing?

For anyone who is interested, here are the B1G passing stats from 2023.

Michigan won the national championship and they threw exactly 361 passes in 15 games.

Minnesota threw 312 passes in 13 games.

Michigan: 24 passes/game.

Minnesota: 24 passes/game.

Ok. Back from a day-long meeting. Sorry to be absent, not trying to be dramatic or anything.

Why did I say what I’ve said? Permit me to defend it along two avenues: (1) reason; (2) hints.

---Reason---

If it is not too much trouble, may I play offensive coordinator for you?

Here’s how the thought process goes.

He begins by asking himself: “of what am I perfectly confident?”

And his response to himself? “If we have numbers at the line of scrimmage, we will run the ball with hyper-efficiency.” Of course he’d say that. Through six games, Taylor led the nation in rushing yards and yards per carry. And the offensive line is deep. So this is the surest thing he could tell himself.

Then he asks himself: “how do I get numbers at the line of scrimmage?” And the answer is: force the defense to align with two safeties in the backfield. In that alignment, the numbers at the line off scrimmage are even.

So how do you force the defense to align with two safeties in the backfield? There are several ways. But one way is to force the defense into Cover-2.

How do you do that?

Well, for a team that went out and got a QB that passed for over 3200 yards – with plenty of said yards coming on short throws – and with a RB who played WR for a time in high school, you might consider including a West Coast set of concepts.

Why? Well… for those of you who may not know, I’ll explain.

Assume you send a receiver, say, Daniel Jackson on a deep post, and further assume he is lined up alone on his side of the line of scrimmage. What ordinarily would happen? The cornerback would follow him down the field, and that side would be cleared out, with no defender at all. So a running back could enter that space on a slightly delayed release, receive a short pass, while the linebacker whom he is faster than tries to chase him down. Result? Gain of 5, 6, 7, 8 yards. There are numerous plays that work this way. This is the West Coast offense.

Now, to combat that, the defense shifts into Cover-2.

What does that mean?

It means the cornerbacks will only follow the receiver down the field a few yards, and will then release off of them, handing them over to a safety behind them. This leaves the cornerback in position to make a play on a running back following up with a short route. In order for a defense to do this, they need two safeties in the backfield – one on each side of the field (that's why it's "Cover-2"... Two safeties).

With two safeties back, the defense can’t get numbers in the box. Then they run Taylor.

Which is what the offensive coordinator wanted all along.

Which is why he went out and got Max.

---Hints---

This is why PJ said, in one particular interview, that “you can use short passes as a running game.”

This is why PJ said, in a different interview, he is aiming for “90%+ completions on short passes.”

…The plan is to utilize short passes (West Cost offense) to force the defense into Cover-2. Then, once they are in Cover-2, they will gash the defense by handing the ball off to Taylor.

You can thank me for the insight later.

Over and out.

I say we try it against Rhode Island.

Nah, I’m thinking someone good or in the vicinity of possibly being good, or that used to be good. USC, Sconnie. Just be stubborn AF.

Based on Burns’ gray assessment of receiving corps I just hope they can catch the ball consistently, much less dictate numbers to the defense.
OK P.E. fill me in on this. I didn't see anything that Burns wrote. He apparently is saying the receiving core is not too good? Jackson is good, we know that. I thought Brockington was more than capable but he's coming back from injury. Spencer and none of the other transfer receivers are any good? I know we had another highly sought recruit as well out of high school I think last year. Fill me in!

OK P.E. fill me in on this. I didn't see anything that Burns wrote. He apparently is saying the receiving core is not too good? Jackson is good, we know that. I thought Brockington was more than capable but he's coming back from injury. Spencer and none of the other transfer receivers are any good? I know we had another highly sought recruit as well out of high school I think last year. Fill me in!

My recollection is the guys didn’t look specracular during press access. I believe he did say Brockington and Driver show promise. I believe Spencer didn’t have a great day but hey, it’s practice. You’d have to look at his reports for more details, sorry.

I’m only saying that reading between the lines he’s not jumping up and down, but maybe I’m taking it wrong. I’m sure others here can chime in .

I like to hear that. "Shorter passing game" could be the term since West Coast Offense uses certain terminology that you don't have to use, more the way you play.

Is that happening in practices?

I love the West Coast Offense as a base offense. Timed short passes that move the chains and compliments everything else you do for variation.

Add in "explosives." There are times to run more.

Modify that case offense for whatever the defense gives you.

At the NFL level, I believe many people believe a version of the Erhardt Perkins system is the best modern system, open to debate, and then West Coast Offense after that can't be beat. It's influenced so many and evolved. I would say the old Air Coryell system is the one major system that's outdated simply because it has been absorbed and incorporated into more recent styles like the West Coast Offense.

For college offenses, I'm not exactly sure. There are so many variations. What does "pro style offense" mean? Ground and air attack with option. Air Raid? Pistol. I don't know.

But I love a good shorter passing game to work off.

With college more often coaches are forced to work with the players they have. It's not like the NFL where you can go shopping for certain positions in the shopping market. But wait, now it kind of is...

Based on Burns’ gray assessment of receiving corps I just hope they can catch the ball consistently, much less dictate numbers to the defense.
Gophers were only slightly better than the service academies in passing in 2023. It would take quite a leap in production. I just remember so many errant throws and dropped passes in 2023.

Both these true, what works this season will be interesting.

Ok. Back from a day-long meeting. Sorry to be absent, not trying to be dramatic or anything.

Why did I say what I’ve said? Permit me to defend it along two avenues: (1) reason; (2) hints.

---Reason---

If it is not too much trouble, may I play offensive coordinator for you?

Here’s how the thought process goes.

He begins by asking himself: “of what am I perfectly confident?”

And his response to himself? “If we have numbers at the line of scrimmage, we will run the ball with hyper-efficiency.” Of course he’d say that. Through six games, Taylor led the nation in rushing yards and yards per carry. And the offensive line is deep. So this is the surest thing he could tell himself.

Then he asks himself: “how do I get numbers at the line of scrimmage?” And the answer is: force the defense to align with two safeties in the backfield. In that alignment, the numbers at the line off scrimmage are even.

So how do you force the defense to align with two safeties in the backfield? There are several ways. But one way is to force the defense into Cover-2.

How do you do that?

Well, for a team that went out and got a QB that passed for over 3200 yards – with plenty of said yards coming on short throws – and with a RB who played WR for a time in high school, you might consider including a West Coast set of concepts.

Why? Well… for those of you who may not know, I’ll explain.

Assume you send a receiver, say, Daniel Jackson on a deep post, and further assume he is lined up alone on his side of the line of scrimmage. What ordinarily would happen? The cornerback would follow him down the field, and that side would be cleared out, with no defender at all. So a running back could enter that space on a slightly delayed release, receive a short pass, while the linebacker whom he is faster than tries to chase him down. Result? Gain of 5, 6, 7, 8 yards. There are numerous plays that work this way. This is the West Coast offense.

Now, to combat that, the defense shifts into Cover-2.

What does that mean?

It means the cornerbacks will only follow the receiver down the field a few yards, and will then release off of them, handing them over to a safety behind them. This leaves the cornerback in position to make a play on a running back following up with a short route. In order for a defense to do this, they need two safeties in the backfield – one on each side of the field (that's why it's "Cover-2"... Two safeties).

With two safeties back, the defense can’t get numbers in the box. Then they run Taylor.

Which is what the offensive coordinator wanted all along.

Which is why he went out and got Max.

---Hints---

This is why PJ said, in one particular interview, that “you can use short passes as a running game.”

This is why PJ said, in a different interview, he is aiming for “90%+ completions on short passes.”

…The plan is to utilize short passes (West Cost offense) to force the defense into Cover-2. Then, once they are in Cover-2, they will gash the defense by handing the ball off to Taylor.

You can thank me for the insight later.

Over and out.
Do you remember the Nebraska game last year?

Throwing short passes doesn’t make you a west coast offense

Air it out PJ, short passes aren't Elite.

Do you remember the Nebraska game last year?
Copious amounts of pass attempts alone don't win FB games.
AK went 24/44, 196 yds, avg 4.5 yd, 1 TD, 1 INT in that game.
He lacked touch, was skittish, and showed the coaches that they could not gameplan him to decisively win games with his arm.
Remember that spectacular toe-tap TD by Daniel Jackson in that game?
He was wide-the-freak open and AK still put the ball almost out of bounds.
(MN won due to the defensive secondary's 3 INTs from NB QB Jeff Sims, not because of AK)

Gophers won't have a skittish QB this time around.
Fleck went out and got a QB with years of college experience (lots of passing yds, proven leadership)

Short passes don't always equal short yardage.
Sometimes they equal explosive plays. Sometimes they extend drives.
Brosmer has proven at UNH to throw short passes to a playmaking RB in space to great success.

Let's see:

Last season, 38% pass rate; 6-7 record.

2019, 37% pass rate; 11-2 record, finished #10 in the nation.

I understand that there are more than a few posters here who really, really, really want to see more passing... but from the numbers you posted I'm just not seeing any evidence that higher passing rate = more wins. What am I missing?
Well they did have more success passing in 2019 because they were more successful in general on offense. So longer drives=more overall passing yardage even with the same percentage.

I think they can have a successful passing game while still passing only about 40% of the time.

2019 - 253 passing yards a game, 164 completions
2023 - 153 passing yards a game, 212 completions

2019 team ran to set up the pass (and had lots of success with it)
2023 team ran because they couldn't pass

Last edited:

We like to make fun of Fleck for his conservative gameplan and running the ball, etc.
I honestly believe his ideal football team would be 2023 Michigan Wolverines (minus the cheating).
Lights out defense and a run-first offense with a smart, tough QB like JJ McCarthy and the best OL and DL in CFB.
He's been building towards that ideal over his time here at MN.

Top Bottom