You won't believe what I think...

Let's see:

Last season, 38% pass rate; 6-7 record.

2019, 37% pass rate; 11-2 record, finished #10 in the nation.

I understand that there are more than a few posters here who really, really, really want to see more passing... but from the numbers you posted I'm just not seeing any evidence that higher passing rate = more wins. What am I missing?
I think what this shows is that the 60/40 ratio we have been discussing isn't the issue it's the QB efficiency that is critical within that 40% pass. Taking a look at those two seasons for each QB you can see that clearly. It's all about the efficiency that is consistently talked about.

During the 2019 season, Tanner had an impressive performance for the Gophs. Here are some of his key statistics:
  • Passing Yards: 3,253 yards
  • Touchdown Passes: 30 touchdowns
  • Completion Percentage: 66.9%
  • Passing Yards Per Game: 250.2 yards per game
  • Touchdown-Interception Ratio: 4.28 (30 TDs, 7 INTs)
  • Pass Efficiency Rating: 178.71
In the case of Athan, his results were nowhere in the same category in 2023. Here are his key statistics:
  • Passing Yards: 1,838 yards
  • Touchdown Passes: 14 touchdowns
  • Completion Percentage: 53.1%
  • Passing Yards Per Game: 153.2 yards per game
  • Touchdown-Interception Ratio: 1.56 (14 TDs, 9 INTs)
  • Pass Efficiency Rating: 115.17
All you really need to look at is the completion percentage and then the accompanying pass efficiency rating to hammer home the difference.

Let's see:

I understand that there are more than a few posters here who really, really, really want to see more passing... but from the numbers you posted I'm just not seeing any evidence that higher passing rate = more wins. What am I missing?
People get hung up on the percentage but that doesn't tell the story as you illustrated above. You can be balanced and run the ball 2:1 vs. passing. 2019 is the perfect example of that. You have to be efficient in the passing game, something we have not been over the past few seasons.

Let's see:

You’re spot on. They need to pass better, not more.

Top Bottom