Yes, He's That Good!

akgopher

Reaction score
You knew it was coming, had to beat him to it.

Wonder what they are saying in Kentucky.

FoT, take a bow. For all the grief he has taken, seems like he was right.

If I recall correctly...

FoT, take a bow. For all the grief he has taken, seems like he was right.

I don't believe ANYONE at Minnesota has given Tubby grief. I don't think anyone has not supported him. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that at least 99.9% of our fanbase are behind him.

I don't believe ANYONE at Minnesota has given Tubby grief. I don't think anyone has not supported him. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that at least 99.9% of our fanbase are behind him.

I should have been a little clearer, I meant (kind of tongue in cheek), all the grief that FoT has taken (in keeping with the theme of the title post).

I should have been a little clearer, I meant (kind of tongue in cheek), all the grief that FoT has taken (in keeping with the theme of the title post).

That's how I understood your words. I don't mind. There are a few like you mentioned but not many.

Tubby is darn good coach but Minnesota is a darn good opportunity for him. Excellent fit for both.

Yes, he was right, just like all of our fans were...since I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any criticism on this board for Tubby, other than Kentucky fans. So, take a bow, Gopher fans, for being right about Tubby!

Yes, he was right, just like all of our fans were...since I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any criticism on this board for Tubby, other than Kentucky fans. So, take a bow, Gopher fans, for being right about Tubby!

Tubby absolutely LOVES it in Minnesota. No doubt whatsoever, he's happier than I've ever seen him.

Monson should take a bow for recruiting Nolen and Johnson. Those two are outstanding.

Monson should take a bow for recruiting Nolen and Johnson. Those two are outstanding.

I'm of mixed feelings about that. He also recruited DJ and DJ looked like he belonged in a senior men's league not Div 1 under Monson. I kind of get the idea that Tubby can get the absolute most out of otherwise pretty average players. I had no idea DJ had this in him before Tubby came and now he is a crazy good defender that can block shots and score a tiny bit. Easily the most improved player in the past 2 years. So yes Monson recruited some of these guys, but for whatever reason his systems never brought this kind of effort out of them...

Maturi should take a bow also since he stuck with Monson long enough until Tubby was ready to move.

And while we are at it Clem go ahead and take a bow too - announcers said on tv (not sure if it was robinson or johnson) that the 1st call tubby made when he was offered the job - he called Clem - and Clem encouraged him to take it ---

btw has anyone ever seen fot and clem together at the same time ?

Haven't been posting on here much this season, but had to today. Great win. I got to watch most of the first half and am really glad the Tubster pulled it out.

Maturi should take a bow also since he stuck with Monson long enough until Tubby was ready to move.

And while we are at it Clem go ahead and take a bow too - announcers said on tv (not sure if it was robinson or johnson) that the 1st call tubby made when he was offered the job - he called Clem - and Clem encouraged him to take it ---

btw has anyone ever seen fot and clem together at the same time ?

I'm not Clem Haskins.

And Dwane Casey also encouraged Tubby to take the Gophers job.

Tubby and Clem

I think FoT has made some very good posts here. FoT is also right about Casey, and I think Casey talked to Tubby at the same HS tournament when he talked to Clem.

"Wednesday might have been the most important day in the Gophers' courtship of the Kentucky coach. While watching the Kentucky Sweet 16 high school tournament at Rupp Arena, Smith ran into former Gophers coach Clem Haskins. The two found a spot to talk, and Smith asked Haskins -- who had a less-than-graceful exit from Dinkytown -- about the Minnesota job. Gophers fans: Credit Haskins with an assist. "He brought me aside and had nothing but great things to say about this area, this city, the program, and he harbored no bitterness," Smith said. "He said, 'Tubby, it would be a great opportunity. You'll love it in Minnesota, and the people will embrace you.' He's pretty much the guy who said this is a no-brainer, this is a slam dunk."

How the U got Tubby Smith
By Jeff Shelman, Star Tribune

I have to laugh at the Kentucky fans. I honestly think they live in a completely different world, devoid of any sense of reality.

I have to laugh at the Kentucky fans. I honestly think they live in a completely different world, devoid of any sense of reality.

In about two weeks Kentucky and Louisville square off in Louisville. If Pitino's team pulls out a win or even better gives the Wildcats a spanking there will be hell to pay. :)

I know who I'll be rooting for !

His link to Minnesota is that he coached on the T-wolves staff.

This might come as a shock to you but:

You're not the only person in the universe well-versed in the history of basketball; in particular Kentucky basketball (or Minnesota for that matter)

I thought Casey had a lot better win %age than Whitman.

Top Bottom