Year 7, one of the most pathetic losses in my 45 years.

Oh come on:
  • 2021 BGSU
  • 2015 Michigan
  • 2014 Illinois
  • 2011 NDSU
  • 2010 SDSU
  • 2010 NIU
  • All of 2007
  • 2006 TTU
  • 2003 Michigan
Are all in the same neighborhood. This game is in great company.
Those are really different types of game.

This is the second time we have lost to a horrible horrible team since 2019

No. But replacing him with a young, hotshot coach hasn't really mattered. Same shit, different guy.
We are objectively not talking about the same shit which is a big part of the reason that I'm not sitting here calling for PJ's job right now.

Personally pained because had a witness in Kiddo in stating that our 31-17 lead was about to be blown. Can't say it was a Mase-like premonition because Mase did not field a defense after 1999 maybe 2000.

This one flipped and is on Rossi and crew. Offense put up 31 points before OT. Should have been enough.

Maybe should be a little less pissed. Maybe...

Just a solid team loss. They lost lost tonight in all facets of the game. Never seen a player down a punt two yards into the end zone, down that ball at the two yard line and we win that game. Get rid of the O coordinator(s), that have been awful all year. The play calling has no rhythm to it what so ever.

Those are really different types of game.

This is the second time we have lost to a horrible horrible team since 2019

That was my thought. This game was different because Northwestern is garbage. The Gophers just collapsed from a big lead against hot smelly trash.

That was my thought. This game was different because Northwestern is garbage. The Gophers just collapsed from a big lead against hot smelly trash.
Yeah. A loss like this doesn’t hurt me the way last year Iowa did.
We lost to a bad team by being a bad team. Hopefully we improve or wins are going to be hard to find

Sometimes I feel like I watched a different game than everyone else on GH. Our offense put up 430 yards and 31 points but somehow 80% of comments are blaming the offense more than the D.
No kidding.

We are up 21 heading into the 4th. We know they are passing on every single down.

That defense looked like Wackers. Huge chunk plays. Just one massive play after the next.

It's depressing, because we are what we are.

No kidding.

We are up 21 heading into the 4th. We know they are passing on every single down.

That defense looked like Wackers. Huge chunk plays. Just one massive play after the next.

It's depressing, because we are what we are.
Agree with this. This has very similar vibes to the 2020 Michigan, Iowa, and Maryland games to me. Hopefully we get better

Sometimes I feel like I watched a different game than everyone else on GH. Our offense put up 430 yards and 31 points but somehow 80% of comments are blaming the offense more than the D.

It's all in context. The offense couldn't get it done either when it needed to. One more first down in the 4th quarter and the game is sealed. If Jackson or BSF actually run routes on 3rd down that get them past the sticks instead of 1 or 2 yard short the game is iced. If AK hits a wide open BSF right in front of him in OT the game at least gets extended. If dumbass #81 downs the last punt in bounds the game ends before Northwestern can score. Both the offense and defense did fine until the 4th quarter then both collapsed.

Offense played pretty well considering how bad the Qb played. Late on every throw

We have THREE losses just against Northwestern that are worse than any loss my Iowa friends have ever experienced.

2000: Northwestern beats Minnesota on a Hail Mary
2008: Northwestern beats Minnesota on a Pick 6 as time expires
2023: Northwestern beats Minnesota after being down 31-10 in the 4th quarter

If we're talking about heartbreaking losses, those 3 probably fall below games like Michigan in '03, Iowa in 2019, Wisconsin loss in OT in '99, Blocked punt loss to Wisconsin in '05, Minnesota at Wisconsin in '16 up 17-7 at half and 4 Leidner picks later...,Purdue in '01 when Purdue was at their own 3 yard line with 19 seconds left down 3 and ended up winning in OT, then record setting Bowl game collapses to NC State and Texas Tech. The Michigan loss where Claeys let the clock run out on the doorstep of the goal line. Hell we lost to Wisconsin in 2020 when we missed a chip shot FG to extend OT after Morgan missed an open receiver for a would be winning TD a play or two earlier. I am sure someone can come up with more, I had to look up the details of the Purdue loss.

As far as worst performances, losing to New Mexico State when they were considered the worst team in all of D1, we had a terrible loss to Illinois when they were coached by Tim Beckman, We lost to Ohio one year under Mason. Brewster lost to South Dakota State and North Dakota State. The Bowling Green loss in '21 might be the all time worst, but this Northwestern loss certainly belongs in the same group with all of these. It's unique in that it belongs in both the heartbreaking and truly awful categories.

We have THREE losses just against Northwestern that are worse than any loss my Iowa friends have ever experienced.

If we're talking about heartbreaking losses, those 3 probably fall below games like Michigan in '03, Iowa in 2019, Wisconsin loss in OT in '99, Blocked punt loss to Wisconsin in '05, Minnesota at Wisconsin in '16 up 17-7 at half and 4 Leidner picks later...,Purdue in '01 when Purdue was at their own 3 yard line with 19 seconds left down 3 and ended up winning in OT, then record setting Bowl game collapses to NC State and Texas Tech. The Michigan loss where Claeys let the clock run out on the doorstep of the goal line. Hell we lost to Wisconsin in 2020 when we missed a chip shot FG to extend OT after Morgan missed an open receiver for a would be winning TD a play or two earlier. I am sure someone can come up with more, I had to look up the details of the Purdue loss.

As far as worst performances, losing to New Mexico State when they were considered the worst team in all of D1, we had a terrible loss to Illinois when they were coached by Tim Beckman, We lost to Ohio one year under Mason. Brewster lost to South Dakota State and North Dakota State. The Bowling Green loss in '21 might be the all time worst, but this Northwestern loss certainly belongs in the same group with all of these. It's unique in that it belongs in both the heartbreaking and truly awful categories.
Post of the day

Excellent post and a very informative walk down memory lane.

Fleck said we were not going back to the ways things used to be. But then he had a bad loss. And then another. Now he has at least one every season. When they start piling up multiple times in the same season, he has become… Mason.

This is why i.smoke weed. It was 31-10 and northwestern was going to score. I knew we were going to lose the second it was 31-17 to start the 4th. I smoked up. Then sat back and watched another nightmare unfold before my eyes.

We will not.make a bowl game this year.

Fleck will get destroyed by the USCs and the rest of the modern day offenses the Pac12 teams are bringing next year.

Coaching search in 2025.

Followed by a few mid-tier bowl games with the nex coach for a few years, then

Rinse repeat.

It's been real y'all, but I will be recording the games the rest of the way out this year. Not wasting my time. The golf course in TX during the fall is too good and our team is too bad.

Top Bottom