Yahoo Sports reports: The Big Ten could Add 4 PAC 12 Teams

as of 11:00am on Fri, Aug 4 - things are getting CRAZY!!!

media people are contradicting each other and in some cases, contradicting themselves.

Brett McMurphy of the Action Network tweeted out at 9:00am that
"The Pac-12 may stay together and sign a Grant of Rights."

One hour later, Brett McMurphy tweeted out:
"Pac-12 unable to get Grant of Rights signed this morning and nothing has changed with Washington and Oregon expected to be B1G bound when finances are worked out."

same reporter in the span of one hour.

FWIW - there are reports that Pac-12 is having a last-ditch meeting where a new media deal will be presented and a vote on a Grant of Rights may be held.

but as I said, this stuff is changing almost minute-to-minute.

media people are contradicting each other and in some cases, contradicting themselves.

"Pac-12 unable to get Grant of Rights signed this morning and nothing has changed with Washington and Oregon expected to be B1G bound when finances are worked out."

FWIW - there are reports that Pac-12 is having a last-ditch meeting where a new media deal will be presented and a vote on a Grant of Rights may be held.

I do think all the schools are being shortsighted in their quest for money. A huge part of college football is it's regional appeal. People like to see their schools play neighboring schools. They like to play schools where people they know went to school. In the end I think popularity will wane the more it becomes NFL
I think they are not only short sighted, but I think they've lost all sight of college athletics, frankly. It's turned into big business divorced from the idea of amateurism and scholar athletes. But Pandora's box has been opened and since CFB has turned into big business, its actually short sighted not to grow the business.

I disagree with the idea that the more CFB becomes like the NFL that it's popularity will decrease. I think CFB needs to emulate the NFL. The NFL's popularity is based in part on regionalism and the guarantee that nearly every region will have a contender. The insurmountable problem that CFB has is that it cannot dictate salary cap (allocation of existing talent) and allocation of new players (allocation of new players via the draft). The current CFB entrenches the contenders and makes it nearly impossible for any other than a few schools to have an occasional shot at a national championship, let alone sustained national championship viability. If there were a way to figure this out, CFB would be a close second to the NFL in popularity.

I do agree that regionalism makes CFB more interesting, the same way regionalism makes the NFL more interesting. Am I more interested when the Vikings play the Packers? You bet. Less interested when they play the Jags. But at the same time, I'm more interested in Vikings/Chiefs than even Vikings/Lions. I'm more interested in Gophers/Badgers/Hawkeyes/Huskers than Gophers/Maryland. But I'll be more interested in Gophers/USC than Gophers/Indiana or even Northwestern, although USC fans perhaps won't reciprocate.

I think they are not only short sighted, but I think they've lost all sight of college athletics, frankly. It's turned into big business divorced from the idea of amateurism and scholar athletes. But Pandora's box has been opened and since CFB has turned into big business, its actually short sighted not to grow the business.

I disagree with the idea that the more CFB becomes like the NFL that it's popularity will decrease. I think CFB needs to emulate the NFL. The NFL's popularity is based in part on regionalism and the guarantee that nearly every region will have a contender. The insurmountable problem that CFB has is that it cannot dictate salary cap (allocation of existing talent) and allocation of new players (allocation of new players via the draft). The current CFB entrenches the contenders and makes it nearly impossible for any other than a few schools to have an occasional shot at a national championship, let alone sustained national championship viability. If there were a way to figure this out, CFB would be a close second to the NFL in popularity.

I do agree that regionalism makes CFB more interesting, the same way regionalism makes the NFL more interesting. Am I more interested when the Vikings play the Packers? You bet. Less interested when they play the Jags. But at the same time, I'm more interested in Vikings/Chiefs than even Vikings/Lions. I'm more interested in Gophers/Badgers/Hawkeyes/Huskers than Gophers/Maryland. But I'll be more interested in Gophers/USC than Gophers/Indiana or even Northwestern, although USC fans perhaps won't reciprocate.

These are good points. There is definitely a component of regionalization in pro football and it does add to the appeal. But you are right, the NFL is super popular because everyone plays by the same rules, same cap. Laughingstock one year, playoff the next. I don't see that aspect ever coming to college football and there is the problem. Our "Super Bowl" is beating Wisconsin and Iowa. And overall I am okay with that. What is being taken away is this regional importance, regional "king." The reality is that we don't possess the support or money to compete for national championships, but we can win our rivalries. And we aren't alone in that. Through work I talk with people in the south. Ole Miss can live with 7-5 as long as they win the Egg Bowl. Georgia Tech fans were thrilled going 6-6 and knocking off Georgia.

Super conferences would ruin that and overall I would be less likely to watch Ohio State/Texas as opposed to Ole Miss/Miss State even though the stakes might be bigger.

These are good points. There is definitely a component of regionalization in pro football and it does add to the appeal. But you are right, the NFL is super popular because everyone plays by the same rules, same cap. Laughingstock one year, playoff the next. I don't see that aspect ever coming to college football and there is the problem. Our "Super Bowl" is beating Wisconsin and Iowa. And overall I am okay with that. What is being taken away is this regional importance, regional "king." The reality is that we don't possess the support or money to compete for national championships, but we can win our rivalries. And we aren't alone in that. Through work I talk with people in the south. Ole Miss can live with 7-5 as long as they win the Egg Bowl. Georgia Tech fans were thrilled going 6-6 and knocking off Georgia.

Super conferences would ruin that and overall I would be less likely to watch Ohio State/Texas as opposed to Ole Miss/Miss State even though the stakes might be bigger.
You can be regional by having regional "pods" or divisions and become champions of your pod, which will get you into the Big Ten playoff.

By going bigger, you can get smaller.

The current CFB entrenches the contenders and makes it nearly impossible for any other than a few schools to have an occasional shot at a national championship, let alone sustained national championship viability.
This is why I really hate these huge conferences. For most programs, a National Championship isn't a realistic goal. Conference championships, while difficult, could still happen. Now it's going to be nearly impossible.

This is why I really hate these huge conferences. For most programs, a National Championship isn't a realistic goal. Conference championships, while difficult, could still happen. Now it's going to be nearly impossible.
Yep. Good point.

Businesses can still be content with lower participation or customer base if the remaining customers are willing to pony up. See Mega Tongue‘s pricing scheme and many, many others. I’ve shared this before but the surly players, contract antics, and here today, gone tomorrow rosters (along with some other items) turned me off from the NFL. It was just business, and not much fun. College athletics were special. The fanbase rallied around “their” players that had chosen their tribe. Vastly higher enthusiasm from players, fans. Gambling wasn’t a huge part of it.

Now it’s just business. The magic is slipping. Yelling at clouds.

Playoff birth is the new conference championship

The playoffs were born a long time ago.
Not sure what you’re saying but I think you’re talking about something different than me.

The old dream for a program like Mn was a conference championship.
The new dream is probably to make the playoff.

Is what I was saying.

Not sure what you’re saying but I think you’re talking about something different than me.

The old dream for a program like Mn was a conference championship.
The new dream is probably to make the playoff.

Is what I was saying.
Berth is not birth, kiddo. 😜

Top Bottom