Yahoo Sports reports: The Big Ten could Add 4 PAC 12 Teams

99Gopher

Reaction score
Well, according to Yahoo Sports, the Big Ten is in conversations to add as many as 4 PAC 12 teams. The obvious is Oregon and Washington, but it looks like Stanford and Cal are in the mix. The age of the Super Conference might be closer than we thought when Colorado started to make the dominos fall. Is this too much too fast for the Big Ten in terms of growth if it happens?

That'd be a mistake. We shouldn't be rescuing schools like Berkeley. They're better off in the Mountain West or dropping down or out of sports altogether.

Sad to see the pac go this way…. but they haven’t had much in the way of leadership in a long time.

Colorado didn’t “make the dominos start to fall”. Colorado knew Oregon, Washington and others may be leaving. Then they moved to the Big 12 when they realized the Big Ten had no interest.

I can easily predict a 20-team B1G will include 3 divisions and a 4-team conference football playoff.

Could be our current divisions plus a 6-team Pacific Division.

Things stay sort of the same and are yet new.

Don't say the NCAA will not allow a 4-team conference play-off. The B1G will be telling the NCAA what they will be doing at that point.

Wake me up when things are official. Way too many "updates" that amount to nothing.

Maybe we divide into two sub conferences- say 10 historical Big Ten schools - call it the Big Ten division. Then put the others in a group and maybe call it the Pac 10 division. Winner of each division plays for the conference championship- maybe play it in a stadium in Pasadena.
Workshopping here but how about Legends (historical) and Leaders?

Last edited:

Workshopping here but how about Legends (historical) and Leaders?
There’s no way to know, but it’s quite possible some may find that complicated. I would propose going crazy, and creating a “West” division and “East” division.

I get the thought of Cal and Stanford but Arizona and Arizona State seems better or
the best would be Stanford (SanFran) ASU (PHX) ?

I get the thought of Cal and Stanford but Arizona and Arizona State seems better or
the best would be Stanford (SanFran) ASU (PHX) ?
Cal and Stanford are two of the only big Universities that would really improve the Big 10s academic profile and that still matters to school Presidents.

I'm guessing they end up with these 4 and then try to add 4 more from the ACC when that eventually collapses. Then hopefully you go to 4 divisions and you end up with Minnesota/Nebraska/Iowa/Wisconsin and either the two Illinois or Michigan schools together.

the latest buzz/speculation/rumors are that the B1G is focusing on adding Oregon and Washington. depending on which sources you believe, Cal and Stanford may have been put on the back burner.
it has been reported that not all of the B1G schools are in favor of expansion, so going with 2 additional schools instead of 4 may be a compromise.

some outlets are reporting that Oregon and Washington - if they accept - would come into the B1G with a reduced share of media $$ - in the mid-$30-million range. FWIW - there are claims that Washington is balking because they allegedly want at least $40-million to help cover 'additional travel costs.'

Really hope the big ten doesn’t expand further. I’m not holding my breath

Anyone else tired of the daily "updates" about rumors of conference changes? None of them have led to anything of substance. If I see another social media post about a surprise BOR meeting, I'm gonna lose it

Anyone else tired of the daily "updates" about rumors of conference changes? None of them have led to anything of substance. If I see another social media post about a surprise BOR meeting, I'm gonna lose it
Just wait for mentions of a super league here n the next 5 years...

Except for Texas, OU, Colorado, USC, UCLA….

Last edited:

Nice of you to click into this thread to let us all know you're tired of this thread.

personally, I look at this like watching a soap opera: "All My Conferences." and Erica is about to leave her Pac-12 husband for a new Big-12 husband.

I'm retired. scrolling through Twitter (I refuse to call it "X") and looking for updates on the conference musical chairs helps me pass the time.

as far as "anything of substance" - Colorado is leaving the Pac-12. Arizona has reportedly voted to leave the Pac-12. USC and UCLA will be in the B1G next year. that's pretty substantial in my book.

personally, I look at this like watching a soap opera: "All My Conferences." and Erica is about to leave her Pac-12 husband for a new Big-12 husband.

I'm retired. scrolling through Twitter (I refuse to call it "X") and looking for updates on the conference musical chairs helps me pass the time.

as far as "anything of substance" - Colorado is leaving the Pac-12. Arizona has reportedly voted to leave the Pac-12. USC and UCLA will be in the B1G next year. that's pretty substantial in my book.
Yeah I mean I’d be shocked if the super conference thing doesn’t continue at this point. I don’t get into arguing about who we should take because I think it all sucks no matter who is added, but it’s happening whether to like it or not.

Really hope the big ten doesn’t expand further. I’m not holding my breath
Yeah, good luck with that.

the latest buzz/speculation/rumors are that the B1G is focusing on adding Oregon and Washington. depending on which sources you believe, Cal and Stanford may have been put on the back burner.
it has been reported that not all of the B1G schools are in favor of expansion, so going with 2 additional schools instead of 4 may be a compromise.

some outlets are reporting that Oregon and Washington - if they accept - would come into the B1G with a reduced share of media $$ - in the mid-$30-million range. FWIW - there are claims that Washington is balking because they allegedly want at least $40-million to help cover 'additional travel costs.'

The extra travel costs are why I question the actual need for All Conferences to be All Sports.

Washington joining the Big 10 for football and basketball can be totally feasible financially. It should not mean the Huskies women's softball team has to travel to College Park, MD for a double header vs the Terps.

Last edited:

Except for Texas, OU, Colorado, USC, UCLA….
Broken clock. If you follow him on Twitter, you see his take change by the day. Every day is "big news coming" and then doesn't come. He is the chicken little of college sports.

The "they're in, wait they're out, no they're back in again" is ridiculous. This is from 20 minutes ago saying Oregon and Washington are not going to B1G after all ....wake me up when something happens

I do think all the schools are being shortsighted in their quest for money. A huge part of college football is it's regional appeal. People like to see their schools play neighboring schools. They like to play schools where people they know went to school. In the end I think popularity will wane the more it becomes NFL like.

I do think all the schools are being shortsighted in their quest for money. A huge part of college football is it's regional appeal. People like to see their schools play neighboring schools. They like to play schools where people they know went to school. In the end I think popularity will wane the more it becomes NFL like.
I agree

The SEC is hugely popular because it’s the best league in an organization with teams in all 50 states.

If they become their own entity it is possible nobody cares about the SEC. I’m a huge college football fan, but if the big ten separated from G5 for most purposes I would care about the mountain west the same amount I currently care for the Missouri valley.

Spot on!

Since when has this been about the fans?

Top Bottom