WR Drew Wolitarsky is a Gopher!!!

With the running game we showed against Texas Tech we don't need speed. It will always be 3rd and three. Just need a tough kid to catch a slant or curl. He'll do!!

I agree, he was doing damage out of the slot over the middle in that all star game.

May as well get all the white guy receiver comparisons out of the way now. Kid looks like a combo platter or Welker and Jordy Nelson with some Stokley on the side to go along with the obvious Decker/Payne/Hosack makeup from the U...:clap:

In all seriousness though I don't know why 215 scares people. If he can carry the weight and still have decent speed it is no big deal. Not like he is 230 or something trying to play receiver. The nutrition and strength staff at the U will figure out where he needs to be from a playing weight standpoint and get him there. 6'3" 210 for a receiver is not crazy big by any stretch of the imagination, biggest question at that size though is having enough speed to get separation at this level.

May as well get all the white guy receiver comparisons out of the way now. Kid looks like a combo platter or Welker and Jordy Nelson with some Stokley on the side to go along with the obvious Decker/Payne/Hosack makeup from the U...:clap:

In all seriousness though I don't know why 215 scares people. If he can carry the weight and still have decent speed it is no big deal. Not like he is 230 or something trying to play receiver. The nutrition and strength staff at the U will figure out where he needs to be from a playing weight standpoint and get him there. 6'3" 210 for a receiver is not crazy big by any stretch of the imagination, biggest question at that size though is having enough speed to get separation at this level.

Totally agree. If we can have a 280 lb Kicker, we can easily have a 215 lb WR.

Looking at his tape, he looks to have excellent peripheral vision over the middle. I also noticed his allusiveness and body control. This kid has really good potential. I didn't see any Deckeresque magic (coming up with a poorly thrown ball into double coverage), but Decker didn't develop that until he was in his junior year.

We need someone durable who can take throws over the middle. Preferable someone that doesn't mind ice either.

It's not just because he is white. They have similar height, weight, speed, and are good hands and route running. Just because you compare him to Decker doesn't mean you are saying he'll be as good as Decker.

I also have been surprised how many people have assumed that by comparing him to Decker that you were saying that he is good as Decker or will be as good as Decker. My reading of that statement was that the two of them have some similar qualities. This is a great example of how a statement can be interpreted differently by two people. But it makes for interesting discussions.

I don't understand why a 6'3" or even a 6'5" WR is a problem, even at 220 lbs. Try and stop a guy like that. From a couple sites:

Matt Jones 6'6" JAX
Plaxico Burress 6'5"NYG
Drew Bennett 6'5" TEN
Reggie Williams 6' 4"JAX
Marques Colston 6'4" NOS
Randy Moss 6'4" OAK
Keyshawn Johnson 6'4" CAR
Chris Henry 6'4" CIN

Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions (6’3”, 225lbs)
Vincent Jackson, San Diego Chargers (6’5”, 230lbs)
Andre Johnson, Houston Texans (6’3”, 226lbs)
Steve Johnson, Buffalo Bills (6’2”, 210lbs)
Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys (6’2”, 218lbs)
Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals (6’3”, 218lbs)
Plaxico Burress, New York Jets (6’5”, 232lbs)
Marques Colston, New Orleans Saints (6’4”, 225lbs)
Sidney Rice, Seattle Seahawks (6’4”, 202lbs)

One of my favorite receivers of all time; Harold Carmichael, 6'8", 225.

One of my favorite receivers of all time; Harold Carmichael, 6'8", 225.
I know what you mean; I grew up a Giants fan and he was always a big pain in the butt.

Ski U Mah Drew!

Does anyone know who the QB in the video was? Sure threw a nice deep ball...

He'll start, mark my words. He has all the same mannerisms as Decker ( I've seen 2-3,interviews)
If you look at his clips he creates separation and is tough to bring down. He is a pretty strong kid,
Catches everything with his large hands ( like Decker ) and uses his body ( great stiff arm)
very well. Toughness? He also played safety/corner on the defensive side of the ball. Right now, he and Edwards are the top two recruits in this class so far

KJ, pay attention. This is more than saying he's similar in style to Decker...

Can't say I'd complain if he turns out to be a good possession receiver with an occasional great run after the catch.

I like the commit. I can't say what kept a lot of other programs away (considering size, decent speed and production).

As far as Decker. . .

This kid seems more like a good route runner and natural receiver. Decker developed those skills. However, Decker had a skill that I haven't seen from Wolitarsky and that is his incredible ability to make a play on the ball while it's in the air. I don't know if it's a combo of timing, physicality, or just some innate skill...but that is what seperated Decker. When the ball was in the air, he was going to win that battle.

If you have to compare him to a former white WR from the U, he reminds more of Payne.
From ESPN:
"Adjusts well to poorly thrown passes, good body control to make tough catches. Catches the ball away from his body. Makes tough catches in traffic, does not need any separation to make the catch."

Welcome Drew. You'll love it here and we're excited for you to join the Gopher family!

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Interesting tidbit from Joe C. Apparently he committed way back in December. I wonder if it was his choice to keep it quiet so he could have his moment in the all-star game, or if the coaching staff asked him to keep it quiet because we were still recruiting other receivers?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/188674831.html

Interesting tidbit from Joe C. Apparently he committed way back in December. I wonder if it was his choice to keep it quiet so he could have his moment in the all-star game, or if the coaching staff asked him to keep it quiet because we were still recruiting other receivers?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/188674831.html

No inside info but I would bet it was the kids choice to keep it quiet until the all star game and not the coaches. For the most part coaches use other verbals as a way to motivate uncommitted recruits letting them know space is running out so they better get on board.

Top Bottom