WR Drew Wolitarsky is a Gopher!!!

In the video, around the 1:30 mark, someone (maybe a reporter) says something pretty Sid Hartman like.

Annibel Stephan is a fox.

In the video on Scout's website, I believe he states that he ran a 10.9 100 in track as a junior.

Eric Decker was probably the greatest receiver in Gopher history and is now a top receiver in the NFL, so please stop with that comparison before the kid has stepped on campus. It's a tough transition from high school to college, just ask Andre McDonald.

This was nice to hear over the weekend. I wonder if he will eventually move to TE because of his size (6-3 215lbs)?

Heaviest WR in the last decade coming in, 215 lbs. I think he can stick at WR with route running ability. Decker was 195 and Wheelwright 200.

This was nice to hear over the weekend. I wonder if he will eventually move to TE because of his size (6-3 215lbs)?

6'3" would be a little short for a TE. Who knows if the kid is done growing but if he stays at 6'3" he probably sticks at receiver or ends up playing LB or Safety on defense.

He also states in the "press conference" in the video that he weighs 205, not 215.

Heaviest WR in the last decade coming in, 215 lbs. I think he can stick at WR with route running ability. Decker was 195 and Wheelwright 200.

In video he claims to only be 205 lbs.

Decker is listed at 6'3" 218 right now. I'm sure Wolitarsky will stay at wr, he is big for a college wr, but not for a nfl wr. It's fine to say he reminds people of Decker. It'll be a tall order to reproduce his numbers, but that's part of talking about recruits is trying to compare them to people we know and hoping they might be as good.

I think it was basically just a speed thing that kept programs away. Maybe other teams viewed him as a wr/te tweener or something. Haha someone in the interview said, "guys see your light skin and probably think you can't run." I think he played in the same conference as Tedric Thompson.

I don't know how anyone....

can look at his tape, look at his stats, and hear him talk, and then not think he can play college football at high level.

Plus...he runs track, seems tuned in to what working on his explosion etc...can do for his game.

This is a huge get for us. Welcome Drew....go do what you do!!!!

Eric Decker was probably the greatest receiver in Gopher history and is now a top receiver in the NFL, so please stop with that comparison before the kid has stepped on campus. It's a tough transition from high school to college, just ask Andre McDonald.

Saying he has the same mannerisms as Decker. He is certainly farther advanced than Decker was coming in as a freshman. I would suggest you go back and google up video of Decker as a senior in HS and look at the comparisons. Again, with our lack of depth at WR and Harbison and Jones coming off injuries this kid with be in the starting rotation. Mark this down on your calendar that " The Fly" said Drew W would be in the rotation. Mark the UNLV date so we don't hear you say. " I don't remember that" Cheers!!...

can look at his tape, look at his stats, and hear him talk, and then not think he can play college football at high level.

Plus...he runs track, seems tuned in to what working on his explosion etc...can do for his game.

This is a huge get for us. Welcome Drew....go do what you do!!!!

Agree with you 100% which is exactly why I don't understand why he is not getting more attention than he is because on the surface everything looks pretty damn good. Maybe it is as simple as the speed thing but for whatever reason most BCS schools (who I guarantee have evaluated him) don't see him as worthy of a scholarship offer.

Assuming he signs on the dotted line on Feb 6th he will be an interesting one to keep tabs on to see if Kill and his staff found a gem or if he was being overlooked for a reason. Either way hopefully he sticks to his commitment and becomes a great one for us down the line.

I will be very surprised if he doesn't stay at wr. We are lacking for playmakers there right now, he appears to have an instinctual knack for the position, has great hands, and will be more of a project to become a TE or defensive player. WR just makes the most sense to have the most impact for us and provide him with the most benefit for the future.

Two things about Decker. One he was a heck of a leaper. I remember watchcing him in an all-star dunk contest as a basketball player, and he could throw down with style, even in high school.

Also....he (Decker) was/is a lefty!:)

His 100m and 200m times were all very good. Not elite, but highly competitive.

6'3" would be a little short for a TE. Who knows if the kid is done growing but if he stays at 6'3" he probably sticks at receiver or ends up playing LB or Safety on defense.

I don't understand why a 6'3" or even a 6'5" WR is a problem, even at 220 lbs. Try and stop a guy like that. From a couple sites:

Matt Jones 6'6" JAX
Plaxico Burress 6'5"NYG
Drew Bennett 6'5" TEN
Reggie Williams 6' 4"JAX
Marques Colston 6'4" NOS
Randy Moss 6'4" OAK
Keyshawn Johnson 6'4" CAR
Chris Henry 6'4" CIN

Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions (6’3”, 225lbs)
Vincent Jackson, San Diego Chargers (6’5”, 230lbs)
Andre Johnson, Houston Texans (6’3”, 226lbs)
Steve Johnson, Buffalo Bills (6’2”, 210lbs)
Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys (6’2”, 218lbs)
Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals (6’3”, 218lbs)
Plaxico Burress, New York Jets (6’5”, 232lbs)
Marques Colston, New Orleans Saints (6’4”, 225lbs)
Sidney Rice, Seattle Seahawks (6’4”, 202lbs)

I can also guarantee by watching that video that he is no where close to 210 lbs!!!!

The kid probably weighs 190 lbs!!! Decker is the same height and his arms are jacked this kid still have a good amount of muscle to put on.

It has been pointed out by Drew that he is currently 6'3" and 205 lbs. This is based on his post game conference last night. It's nice to get a tall option in the mix.

It has been pointed out by Drew that he is currently 6'3" and 205 lbs. This is based on his post game conference last night. It's nice to get a tall option in the mix.

That's still high! I'm 28 years old 6'2 205lbs and I workout about 5 days a week (trying to pack on muscle) and it's hard. So, for a 17/18 year old kid to weigh that much is not out of the question but not probable. I'd say max 200 lbs!

That being said, whether or not he weighs 205 or whatever, the kid is a solid pick up and will NOT be moved from WR as far as I know.

I like the commit. I can't say what kept a lot of other programs away (considering size, decent speed and production).

As far as Decker. . .

This kid seems more like a good route runner and natural receiver. Decker developed those skills. However, Decker had a skill that I haven't seen from Wolitarsky and that is his incredible ability to make a play on the ball while it's in the air. I don't know if it's a combo of timing, physicality, or just some innate skill...but that is what seperated Decker. When the ball was in the air, he was going to win that battle.

If you have to compare him to a former white WR from the U, he reminds more of Payne.

I like the commit. I can't say what kept a lot of other programs away (considering size, decent speed and production).

As far as Decker. . .

This kid seems more like a good route runner and natural receiver. Decker developed those skills. However, Decker had a skill that I haven't seen from Wolitarsky and that is his incredible ability to make a play on the ball while it's in the air. I don't know if it's a combo of timing, physicality, or just some innate skill...but that is what seperated Decker. When the ball was in the air, he was going to win that battle.

If you have to compare him to a former white WR from the U, he reminds more of Payne.

Logan Payne was faster than Decker and Wolitarsky. Decker partly had to develop that skill because he didn't have the speed to just burn by people. But I won't complain if he turns out like Payne who had 800 yrds and 9 tds in his sr year. I don't know why Wolitarsky's weight is being nitpicked so much, but I'm pretty sure Aaron Hosack weighed more coming in, he was 6'5" though.

As far as Decker. . .

Bob you are spot on there. Way to early to be tossing around Decker's name just because this kid is white. Payne was still a good player for us but is a far more fair standard to hold Wolitarsky to as he starts his college career. Hopefully he is good enough to follow in Decker's footsteps but as anyone who payed attention to NFL football this year it was pretty clear we had a very special talent on our squad while Decker was here.

With the running game we showed against Texas Tech we don't need speed. It will always be 3rd and three. Just need a tough kid to catch a slant or curl. He'll do!!

It's not just because he is white. They have similar height, weight, speed, and are good hands and route running. Just because you compare him to Decker doesn't mean you are saying he'll be as good as Decker.

Top Bottom