WOW: Michigan’s John Beilein has agreed to a five-year deal to coach Cleveland Cavs

Cavs are certainly a mess, but that's rebuilding. I'd argue they've had two gms recently that were better or respected in the top half of the league. They are not nearly the mess in the front offices that he NYK are. Part of why Beilien insisted on and was given a 5 year deal was to give himself sometime and not allow them to fire him so quickly. Otherwise if they do they have to pay him and he can retire or go back to the NCAAs.
I mean the Knicks hired David Fizdale this season on a 4 year contract and fired him after 30 games. The Cavs could eat his contract easily if they wanted to, it just remains to be seen how long Beilein will last.

I mean the Knicks hired David Fizdale this season on a 4 year contract and fired him after 30 games. The Cavs could eat his contract easily if they wanted to, it just remains to be seen how long Beilein will last.

Cavs need a roster overhaul, not a new coach. I think they will hold out, but yes they could eat it too. Koby Altman is pretty savvy. Knicks are a different type of mess lol

Do you see how your first paragraph doesn't jive with your second paragraph? You are going on and on about the culture of being offended and then you're saying that the people who rally against that culture are the most easily offended. It's nonsense.

I don't really follow the talking heads, but do you think it's easier to offend people at a steel mill than it is a college campus? Do you think a construction site needs safe spaces? It's a horrendous take that people only make to sound clever.

There is a certain group of people who are offended by everything and another group of people call them snowflakes. I have issues with the group constantly calling other people snowflakes, but being easily offended is not one of them. Typically, they seem to kind of like to be hated (it's a by product of troll culture).

As far as your initial point, yeah, I agree, some people are jerks and they don't even realize it. Some people also go way out of their way to look for things to be offended. Those things are not mutually exclusive. For Bielen, whether or not he called them "thugs" or "slugs", neither is complimentary. The question isn't whether or not something is a nice thing to call another group of people, the question is if it is the type of behavior that crosses the line of what we accept in society.

Lets assume for the sake of discussion that he called them "thugs". You seem to be saying that you think it crosses a line. Again, you aren't willing to say it's racist (while you dance around implying it is racist).

So why do you think it crosses a line?
Does it matter that his team is 40% white?
Did it cross the line with Grayson Allen?

What if it was complimentary but had pinches of hip hop/traditionally African American lingo/stereotypes? What if Bielen had said, I want you play with some swag?

My entire point is that when you are part of a group of people who want to squint to find offensive behavior in benign statements by people we all know are not overtly racist, you start down the road of lunacy. It becomes an amorphous concept that is everywhere but you can't ever point to it. It's like this thread, people want to talk about how it's obviously theoretically offensive/racist, but they won't go as far to actually call it racist. It's everywhere and nowhere.
You sure make a lot of assumptions that have no basis on any facts. I never made any comments or judgments upon what coach Bielen said or didn't said! So don't go trying to label me just to fit your argument.

Did you take the time to notice how offended you were by the snowflake comments? So, your rallying is not complaining or being offended?

And why do you think people who work at a construction site or steel mill are different than people who attend college? Are you placing some internal biases in to that argument?

I think it is possible to offend most people, some offenses just fit within current perceived "social norms" and others do not. Think about what was "acceptable" just a generation or two ago about the treatment of women, etc.... Just because those that were doing it "understood" it as being "socially acceptable" doesn't mean it wasn't offensive to those that were subjected to it.

You sure make a lot of assumptions that have no basis on any facts. I never made any comments or judgments upon what coach Bielen said or didn't said! So don't go trying to label me just to fit your argument.

Of course you didn't, that's my entire point! You circled around the idea without having the courage to actually say it.

You said that being labeled a thug is not benign in context to a thread that is discussing whether or not Bielen was being racist when calling his team a thug. You continue to prove my point but also miss it.

Did you take the time to notice how offended you were by the snowflake comments? So, your rallying is not complaining or being offended?

Why would I be offended, I didn't make the snowflake comment, so why would I be offended at your characterization of people who make those comments. I'm not offended or complaining, I disagree with point. I am not surprised that you cannot tell the difference between being offended and disagreeing.

And why do you think people who work at a construction site or steel mill are different than people who attend college? Are you placing some internal biases in to that argument?

I've worked construction and in a mill. Of course there is a difference in the type of people in college and the type of people on college campuses. Are you intentionally pretending to not understand this basic idea?

I think it is possible to offend most people, some offenses just fit within current perceived "social norms" and others do not. Think about what was "acceptable" just a generation or two ago about the treatment of women, etc.... Just because those that were doing it "understood" it as being "socially acceptable" doesn't mean it wasn't offensive to those that were subjected to it.

Everyone agrees that it's possible to offend most people. No one has argued that isn't possible. There are certainly things that are patently offensive to everyone. I don't know where you're going with this.

I think Michigan is going to miss Beilein. They have a really nice roster this season, but seem to be underperforming. Will Howard be able to continue the great recruiting?

It was one full season and 22 games.

I think Michigan is going to miss Beilein. They have a really nice roster this season, but seem to be underperforming. Will Howard be able to continue the great recruiting?
Yes. He is getting 4 and 5 star recruits. Like Richard, he has to feel his way in regard to coaching, but he's getting excellent recruits.

Of course you didn't, that's my entire point! You circled around the idea without having the courage to actually say it. Again, making assumptions without basis. My comments were about the snowflake comments, it had nothing to do with courage or about the Beilein topic. You found it hard to believe that another poster pointed out that the ones using the snowflake term are the easiest to offend, and I responded.

You said that being labeled a thug is not benign in context to a thread that is discussing whether or not Bielen was being racist when calling his team a thug. You continue to prove my point but also miss it. How would you taking being called, in public, a thug by a person with authority over you? I am not questioning either Beilein said it or not, just your characterization that it is a benign word. Would you be offended? Would you if you were 22 years old and working your butt off on your job?

Why would I be offended, I didn't make the snowflake comment, so why would I be offended at your characterization of people who make those comments. I'm not offended or complaining, I disagree with point. I am not surprised that you cannot tell the difference between being offended and disagreeing. You are the one making a big deal about someones observations about those that call other people snowflakes. You are the one in disbelief that someone could be offended for being called offensive.

I've worked construction and in a mill. Of course there is a difference in the type of people in college and the type of people on college campuses. Are you intentionally pretending to not understand this basic idea? How so? The medieval class system doesn't apply in this country and many of us have worked in several areas and have gone to college. The major difference is opportunity.

Everyone agrees that it's possible to offend most people. No one has argued that isn't possible. There are certainly things that are patently offensive to everyone. I don't know where you're going with this.
The point is that you seem to have a blind eye to some items that are patently offensive to certain people. I was just trying to get you to see that your benign may not be considered that from another persons shoes. Not you, nor current social norms, are the ultimate judge about what is benign.

Top Bottom