WOW! Denver Mullen is loaded

SDGopherFan

Reaction score
this year with talent, I counted 3 players on the the Top 250 watch list. Two more than the entire state of MN.

This whole list should tell you right there why the southern teams are generally doing better than most northern teams. They have all of the talent.

Indianapolis Warren Central also looks stacked.

3 guys as well:
OT Kiaro Holts
DT Kris Harley
LB Nick Temple

Weren't we after some guys in years past from that school?

Our commit James Manuel is from Warren Central. Hope that opens the door for some of these guys.

As of right now, Warren Central has got 7 kids who are getting looks from FBS schools - those are Skyline numbers right there

How many more in the rest of the State of Colorado? Look at Hopkins basketball. Think of all the DI talent they had last year. Loaded.

How many more in the rest of the State of Colorado? Look at Hopkins basketball. Think of all the DI talent they had last year. Loaded.

This would be a great year to bring some more Mullen kids in. We have not had great luck there in the past. I thought with the connection, we would do better there.

Considering Brewster's ties to Mullen I'm surprised we haven't gotten more interest from players there.

This would be a great year to bring some more Mullen kids in. We have not had great luck there in the past. I thought with the connection, we would do better there.

I don't know where this connection keeps coming from...as I recall, Tim Brewster lived in Colorado for two years. Kyle Theret was a last second addition to our class, as well as Clint Brewster. Clint lasted one season before transferring. I'd hardly call that a pipeline. Just my thoughts.

His kids played at Mullen and he lived there while on staff at Denver. Just my thoughts.

Considering Brewster's ties to Mullen I'm surprised we haven't gotten more interest from players there.

I just don't see the ties being that strong. Brewster didn't live there long and I would imagine that the Big 12 programs that have been recruiting Denver for forever have stronger ties.

I just don't see the ties being that strong. Brewster didn't live there long and I would imagine that the Big 12 programs that have been recruiting Denver for forever have stronger ties.

You are correct that their ties are stronger. The proof is we are not getting any Mullen kids. The point trying to be made is Brewster's connection should have been good enough to bring some Mullen kids here. It hurt that Nolan didn't come and Clint left after a year. If your a top recruiter and you have kids on the team, you should be making some strong ties to that program, this has not worked out.

I don't know where this connection keeps coming from...as I recall, Tim Brewster lived in Colorado for two years. Kyle Theret was a last second addition to our class, as well as Clint Brewster. Clint lasted one season before transferring. I'd hardly call that a pipeline. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts. Here's one of my own: I'm constantly amazed at the way posters here manufacture arguments to counter. Uh, nobody called it a "pipeline."

Thanks for your thoughts. Here's one of my own: I'm constantly amazed at the way posters here manufacture arguments to counter. Uh, nobody called it a "pipeline."

I was using hyperbole. Brewster didn't have much of a connection to J.K. Mullen, yet I got the vibe people expected us to milk that school. Same thing with Skyline. I actually lived right next to Mullen last year and I can tell you many of the power programs from Texas are more familiar up there (especially being Big 12 Country) than Brewster and the Gophers are.

Here is a quote from dpodoll from the Ben Perry thread, verbalizing the vibes I've felt here on the board.

what evidence is there that this "foot in the door" strategy works at all? After we signed Theret, people assumed we were "building a pipeline" to Mullen. Likewise, after the Skyline 4, it was a given that recruits were going to be burning a trail up 35 to Bierman. However, despite the fact that there have been several good-to-very good prospects coming out of both schools, we have signed 0.0 players from Mullen, and 0.0 players from Skyline,

I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone thinks we have a pipeline to Mullen, I was using hyperbole to prove a point (not manufacturing an argument). Two posters mentioned our connection and ties to Mullen, and I really don't think we have much of a tie there. I actually agree with GopherGod on this one, strangely enough. After this and seeing Art make a positive post on the Basketball board, I had to check the calendar and make sure it wasn't April 1st!

Well, I'll actually be serious about this, even though it seems like we're debating semantics and degrees, you know shades of gray and all that. I don't know how strong Brewster's ties with Mullen ever were or are. He did send two high-profile players there and no doubt was pretty well known when he was around. How that translated into ties or burned bridges is hard for an outsider (me) to know. Regarding hyperbole, perhaps that's part of what I dislike in a lot of discussions here. Why take a serious point someone has made and use hyperbole to rebut? First, their point deserves more serious consideration. Second, you run the risk of making someone like me think you're blatantly manufacturing viewpoints to help move along your own POV. But whatever works. Thanks for clarifying.

First of all, there is no such thing as a "pipeline". Individual players are going to go wherever they want.

Secondly, I am purely assuming here, but wouldn't one think that Brewster would have a pretty friendly relationship with the Head Coach. I am guessing that this is the same head coach that was there when Brewster had two of Mullen's best players in the past five years. The fact that Tim Brewster, father of former players, is also a coach(of a Big Ten Football Team) gives him a slight peer to peer connection.

So with all that said, said coach probably tells said recruits to keep an open mind on Minnesota. That is all.

"First of all, there is no such thing as a "pipeline"."

Lackawana Community College? :)

Well, I'll actually be serious about this, even though it seems like we're debating semantics and degrees, you know shades of gray and all that. I don't know how strong Brewster's ties with Mullen ever were or are. He did send two high-profile players there and no doubt was pretty well known when he was around. How that translated into ties or burned bridges is hard for an outsider (me) to know. Regarding hyperbole, perhaps that's part of what I dislike in a lot of discussions here. Why take a serious point someone has made and use hyperbole to rebut? First, their point deserves more serious consideration. Second, you run the risk of making someone like me think you're blatantly manufacturing viewpoints to help move along your own POV. But whatever works. Thanks for clarifying.

I see your point about using hyperbole. Before I posted it I considered changing it to "connection" (the verbatim use of the previous poster) because I didn't want that to cloud the point I was making. I didn't make the change because I didn't think it would be a big deal (which I was clearly wrong about).

My point is that it isn't too alarming to me that we haven't got any more players from Mullen. I would have loved if Bryce Givens (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Bryce-Givens-58479) had decided to come here (I remember there being some talk of both him and Nolan Brewster coming here as a package) but it didn't happen -- not to worry. We landed Clint Brewster when Tim was hired along with Kyle Theret, who was a lowly rated recruit whose only other interest was from Wyoming.

Not that I think these guys were trying to stir anything up by saying they were disappointed our connection hasn't panned out, but my point was that there never really was much of a connection in the beginning so we shouldn't get worried about it. I would expect their coach to have a nice things to say about MN but I'm not surprised we haven't continued to get recruits from Mullen. That's all.

And to be fair, Nduka Onyeali was interested in us and took a visit, but ended up committing to ASU. I would have really liked this guy, and I think Brewster was able to bring him in for a visit because of his ties to the program.

That said, there are many other coaches in the south and the southwest that have much longer ties/relationships with Mullen. Mullen is a Catholic powerhouse on another level than Cretin...a lot of talent there and they routinely receive a lot of interest from the Big 12 and the Pac-10.

I didn't believe you that Mullen was on another level then Cretin, so I looked up who's signed from each school the past 5 years(Rivals).

Mullen-24 players(0-5*,4-4*,8-3*,9-2*,2-0*) Cretin-12 players(2-5*,1-4*,4-3*,3-2*,2-0*)

So even though Mullen has produced 2x the amount of players, it seems that Cretin produces more quality players. I'd say they are both very successful catholic programs that are pretty equal(but that might just be my MN bias lol)

I didn't believe you that Mullen was on another level then Cretin, so I looked up who's signed from each school the past 5 years(Rivals).

Mullen-24 players(0-5*,4-4*,8-3*,9-2*,2-0*) Cretin-12 players(2-5*,1-4*,4-3*,3-2*,2-0*)

So even though Mullen has produced 2x the amount of players, it seems that Cretin produces more quality players. I'd say they are both very successful catholic programs that are pretty equal(but that might just be my MN bias lol)

I can agree with that. If you look up "all years", Rivals has files on 29 CDH guys and 61 Mullen guys. CDH has produced top flight recruits like Floyd and Henderson (both 5 stars) and Rafael Eubanks and Matt Carufel (both 5.9 4-stars). Mullen has produced two 5.9 4 stars, along with 5 other 4 star players. Advantage quality to CDH, quantity to JK Mullen.

That said, this year they have a LOT of talent, as the OP of this thread said. I have no idea about CDH this year.

I can agree with that. If you look up "all years", Rivals has files on 29 CDH guys and 61 Mullen guys. CDH has produced top flight recruits like Floyd and Henderson (both 5 stars) and Rafael Eubanks and Matt Carufel (both 5.9 4-stars). Mullen has produced two 5.9 4 stars, along with 5 other 4 star players. Advantage quality to CDH, quantity to JK Mullen.

That said, this year they have a LOT of talent, as the OP of this thread said. I have no idea about CDH this year.

If you look at what was posted in the "Where do the players come from?" thread it does show however that Minnesota high school football just doesn't do a very good job of developing and producing a good percentage of major college football talent on the whole and has a lot of room for improvement(83 out of 100 per capita).

Top Bottom