Would you welcome back Cam Wiley?

Go4Gr8

Reaction score
With the injuries to the RB room, does Cam Wiley withdraw his name from the transfer portal and would you welcome him back? He was obviously buried behind some good rb.

It would feel like a “rental” because he’d obviously be buried on the depth chart and want to transfer all over again at season’s end. I’m assuming it would be an awkward vibe. Plus, is he even attending classes at the U now?

I don’t know enough about it and not knowing much always makes me wonder why some guys make their portal announcements and drop off their teams mid season.

It would feel like a “rental” because he’d obviously be buried on the depth chart and want to transfer all over again at season’s end. I’m assuming it would be an awkward vibe. Plus, is he even attending classes at the U now?

I don’t know enough about it and not knowing much always makes me wonder why some guys make their portal announcements and drop off their teams mid season.
Yeah there's just too much unknown here.

The kid was nothing but gracious on his way out. It seemed like Fleck really cared for Cam. If Fleck can spin it to Cam as an opportunity for a better landing spot next season, why not? Both sides could benefit.

No. He quit on the team midseason knowing this situation could happen.

Good luck to Wiley playing RB at a lower level where he belongs.
Did he?
If he stopped practicing, no question you don’t welcome him back

But I think eventually we will get to the point where people enter the transfer portal but stay with the team. Why wouldn’t you?
Still in school. Still practicing to get better.

I think it’s assumed every portal guy quits.
if I’m a head coach and a guy wants to transfer I encourage the guy to enter his name so he can get recruited and I encourage him to stick around and keep practicing and getting better if he wants to.
Backup players with expiring contracts finish out the season in all professional sports. Why wouldn’t a kid who is transferring out because there isn’t future playing time want to finish out the season with his teammates

I think this changes in the next 5 years or so and becomes more common.

But if he stopped practicing. Then you don’t welcome him back

Did he?

But I think eventually we will get to the point where people enter the transfer portal but stay with the team. Why wouldn’t you?

if I’m a head coach and a guy wants to transfer I encourage the guy to enter his name so he can get recruited and I encourage him to stick around and keep practicing and getting better if he wants to.
Backup players with expiring contracts finish out the season in all professional sports. Why wouldn’t a kid who is transferring out because there isn’t future playing time want to finish out the season with his teammates

He hasn't been on the roster or with the team for two weeks.

I tracked down LeCaptain's high school stats and the kid was no joke on the offensive side of the ball. I think he will handle himself just fine if they need him.

Rushing Stats:
View attachment 15043
Receiving Stats:
View attachment 15044

Source for the stats: https://www.wissports.net/roster_players/17679652
I don't get how kids like that keep being overlooked by teams. NDSU wins championships at the next level down picking up all these extremely capable overlooked kids.

Depends on his former teammates. Will they accept him back with open arms or do they feel betrayed.

Did he?

If Wiley is practicing with the team wouldn't he be taking reps from someone who is going or potentially going to play that week? I'm pretty sure when a player enters the portal, he's no longer part of the team but they are able remain in school be keep their scholarship benefits thru the end of the current semester. But no way are they still practicing.

If Wiley felt he needed to get his name in the portal to get a head start on finding his future home, more power to him.

He hasn't been on the roster or with the team for two weeks.
Some players like Phil Howard are allowed to see what their options are (but that was in the off-season) otherwise once someone is in the portal they are removed from the online roster within minutes.

No. He quit on the team midseason knowing this situation could happen.

Good luck to Wiley playing RB at a lower level where he belongs.
This.

Your sports posts are so, so, sooooo (painfully so) much better than your other posts.

If Wiley is practicing with the team wouldn't he be taking reps from someone who is going or potentially going to play that week? I'm pretty sure when a player enters the portal, he's no longer part of the team but they are able remain in school be keep their scholarship benefits thru the end of the current semester. But no way are they still practicing.

If Wiley felt he needed to get his name in the portal to get a head start on finding his future home, more power to him.
No question rep distribution would change.
Giving Indy and scout team reps to a guy in the portal is no different than a backup senior taking reps

Most impressive LeCaptian stat --> NO FUMBLES. With that many carries and yards, he held on to the ball. He obviously runs hard as well, which makes it more impressive.

Fleck and Wiley know the situation way more than we do. If he left to pursue some other goal out of care for his team, than the team would respect his decision to come back. His choice was team centered than and is team centered now. However, if quit on culture and team to pursue self interest than it would be impossible to bring him back. He would be coming back for himself and not for the team. Hard to sell that.

No question rep distribution would change.
Giving Indy and scout team reps to a guy in the portal is no different than a backup senior taking reps
Except the backup senior could actually play in a game.

Except the backup senior could actually play in a game.
If Wiley was still practicing he could still play in a game

he isn’t so I’m not really talking about Wiley I’m talking about transfer portal guys generally.

With the injuries to the RB room, does Cam Wiley withdraw his name from the transfer portal and would you welcome him back? He was obviously buried behind some good rb.
Absolutely

Absolutely. Everyone gets a second chance. A third…debatable.

The Gophers are snakebitten at RB this season despite a very deep roster at the position circa August. I was gently chided for expressing dismay when Wiley entered the portal on the possibility of this very scenario. Sure, Wiley hasn’t looked very good in his limited time but chances are he’s a better option than some others should the nightmare scenario unfold and the young guys get beat up in the coming November meat grinder or the turf monster snatches another one. I’m intrigued by LeCaptain but a run at the end of a rout versus a defeated team isn’t enough evidence to convince me (ducks head as shoes arrive). Maybe he really is next Riggins/Alstott/Csonka/Walker…. 👏. This could be a Disney movie some day…walk on from rural Wisconsin wins Rose Bowl for hard luck Gopher team, carried off field..

Eh, I'd say sure, but maybe not for the RB position.

Most guys playing D1 College football put up impressive stats in HS. Unless they were playing at a really big school, I would bet that most of the guys on defense also played offense in HS. I think someone posted that Walley was a really good RB in HS.

So, in an absolute emergency, I think you could take a lot of guys who are DB's or LB's and get them ready to take a few snaps on offense.

the Gophers - this year - have over 90 scholarship players. there has to be at least one or two guys who can take a handoff and run behind the Gophers O-Line.

My feeling is that Kramer is going to get more reps in the pseudo-wildcat formation. Shoot, I would not be afraid to let Kramer take some reps at RB.

There is no way Fleck is going to welcome back a mid season quitter. This isn’t a video game.

Did he?

You are confusing practicing with running laps to stay in shape. Practice is where you prepare for the next game. The guys who practice are the guys who will or might play in the next game.

Top Bottom