Would you take a new coach with a 316-160 record; You might on Thursday of this week!

Big Ten Championship

Reaction score
Just heard that Keith Dambrot "Yes Damb Rot is one word" is a strong candidate for head coaching position and remains the prime candidate? I know nothing about him, so I am hoping people on this board can comment about him. My source is accurate most of the time, so I would give this an 80% chance of actually happening.

Yes, it's important that we get a coach at least three years younger than Saunders.

Only if LeBron calls the Big Three and tells them they should play for him.

There are very few hires that would get me to root against my favorite school. Considering what Google tells me about his clear racism, this would be one of those hires. Our new AD is a southern boy, though, so you never know.

About as good a hire as Iowa made with Todd Lickliter and he would last just about as long. JMO

This guy isn't even out-recruiting Tubby this past season like most other names being thrown around from other schools. He is also a bit older which doesnt seem to be what the Gophers are going for.

About as good a hire as Iowa made with Todd Lickliter and he would last just about as long. JMO

Lickliter's resume was streets ahead of what Dambrot's is now. And doesn't include a line item about being suspended and fired for racist speech.

Dear God do not let this happen.

Just heard that Keith Dambrot "Yes Damb Rot is one word" is a strong candidate for head coaching position and remains the prime candidate? I know nothing about him, so I am hoping people on this board can comment about him. My source is accurate most of the time, so I would give this an 80% chance of actually happening.

I just heard from my source ( my wife ) that I should refuse Teague's offer unless I can have Ryan on my staff. My source, my wife is ALWAYS right! There you have it, another rebuke of the Gopher Coaching position.

At least I identified my source.

I just heard from my source ( my wife ) that I should refuse Teague's offer unless I can have Ryan on my staff. My source, my wife is ALWAYS right! There you have it, another rebuke of the Gopher Coaching position.

At least I identified my source.
Why would anyone ever reveal their source?

It could end up being vetoed by the administration for obvious reasons - the racism aspect.

With the perception problems the U has had with parts of the Minneaplis African-American community, firing an African-American head coach and hiring someone with a past (even 20 years old) of making racist comments would be a &**^ing PR nightmare. Brace yourselves if it does.

Shaka Smart's best friend in the coaching world is a racist?

Shaka Smart's best friend in the coaching world is a racist?

Apparently, Yes! I can't believe people are against this hire from a "PR" standpoint. It's a basic human rights issue. He shouldn't be able to find any job in any field...outside of maybe a Texas assassin.

Since this is post 1 from original poster it is one of three things

1. troll post from fake moniker.
2. Smoke screen leak by the AD to see who is opening mouth and talking within the department
information that might not be true but was put out there to ferrit out a leak.
3. Guy is a serious candidate through relationship with Ellis, thus trial balloon to see how media and fans would react.
4. Actual intended leak from AD Teagues office.
5. None of the above.
Likely a name that has been floated but like others have said DO NOT WANT.

Brothers from another mother? Or maybe another father?

It's hard to say. The genealogy gets confusing when Akron coach Keith Dambrot says he and Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart are related.

"We go way back," Dambrot said Wednesday. "I think first and foremost, we come from the same DNA, the same genetics, the same mother, really, as VCU.

"So the foundation in the two programs is exactly the same. We're kind of like the ugly big brother. You know, like I'm Danny DeVito and he's Arnold Schwarzenegger (from the 1988 movie "Twins"). And we're kind of like the Chevette and he's a Ferrari, but that's my guy.

"I love Shaka like a brother, and they've done a lot of great things, but we have the same attributes that make us a great team, too."

Tonight's meeting between No. 5 seed VCU (26-8) and No. 12 seed Akron (26-6) sounds like it's going to be more of a family affair than a basketball game. Maybe a reunion. Or a picnic. Wait. Who's bringing the potato salad?

Dambrot, 54, and Smart, 35, met when they were Akron assistants in 2003. On Smart's first day of work, Dambrot arranged for him to meet his former protégé, LeBron James.

The meeting surprised Smart. But it was Dambrot's random act of kindness that truly shocked him.

Over time, Dambrot and Smart became close. Smart began to understand Dambrot's generosity and empathy.

In 1993, Dambrot was a coach on the rise at Central Michigan. But late in the season, he used a racial slur to motivate his players and it cost him his job.

"Because he's been fired, because he's been through tough times, he really reaches out and tries to treat people so well that are going through tough times and that there's no way that they can benefit him or help him in any way," Smart said. "But he just -- that's something that I always admired about Keith and that I try to emulate."

Dambrot took Smart under his wing, and when Smart finally left the nest for his first head coaching job at VCU in 2009, he soared. He took VCU from play-in team to the Final Four in 2011.

VCU will be the favorite. It has more experience and uses a stifling four-guard suffocating "havoc" defense.

"I think the teams that have been able to guard them have kept the score down, which allows them to have a chance to win," Dambrot said. "If the game gets up into the 70s, the mid to high 70s, we have no chance."

It doesn't help that Akron lost its star point guard, Alex Abreu, when he was charged with marijuana trafficking this month and suspended from the team. Akron still cruised to the Mid-American Conference tournament title without him.

It was a credit to Dambrot's ingenuity that he rallied the Zips without their star. But Smart wasn't surprised. Or shocked. He learned his lesson about Dambrot long ago.

"You know," Smart said. "Keith told me after they lost Alex, he said we have to reinvent ourselves. And I don't think there's a better coach in the country to work with this team in such a short span of time like that to take that on.

"And they did a terrific job of putting themselves in position to win the NCAA tournament and allowing themselves to be here today."

I'm not sure he's overtly racist - people can change, etc. - but the University cannot hire someone for this position who was dismissed from the same position at a different school because he told his team to "play more like n****rs."

No way. No how.

I would hope he is not the choice. We need to hire somebody that the big 3 will talk to and to me that is an assistant that they are being recruited by, Buzz, or Flip.

Judge for yourselves:

Akron hire evokes controversial memories

By defaultuser on April 23, 2004 12:00 am / no comments

Before Keith Dambrot became the new head men’s basketball coach at the University
of Akron March 9 it was questionable whether or not he would ever become
a head coach again.

In 1993, Dambrot was fired as the coach of CMU after using a racial slur
in the locker room in front of several minority players and a black assistant
coach.

“This was a term that was used throughout the basketball program,” said
sociology professor Robert Newby, “It was after a loss and the players all
had their heads down and coach Dambrot asked them if he could use the term.
They told him to go ahead and he told them that ‘they needed to play more
like niggers.’ What coach didn’t take into account, is there is a difference
between when black people refer to each other that way than when a white
person does.”

The timing of Dambrot’s comment seemed to come at an already tumultuous
time for race relations within the athletics department.

He would have to be the second coming of John Wooden to justify the HORRENDOUS PR the hire would generate. He has given no indication in his several decades of coaching that he is anywhere near that level.

I guess this report and the Flip assistant coach flap are the answer to the question of how much worse this coach search can start to look from the outside. Not that it's all true - or any of it - but whoever said Teague and Ellis are failing to control the message are right on.

Top Bottom