Would you be happy if we finished at 7-5 this year?

If we finished at 7-5 this year, I’d be just fine.

• Yup, we tried.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Nope, we should’ve done better.

Votes: 74 77.1%
  • Who cares, it’s a winning season!

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
Our chance to really break out and shine was last year - we blew it. Now, we are rebuilding - albeit with less of a drop off than in years past. Last year, the card aligned in terms of schedule as well as strength of our conference overall. This year, we likely have a resurgent WI and we are still on basically a 1st year starter at QB. So, 7-5 is not bad for the team that we have - but, is this the team we should be fielding this many years into the PJ tenure? If there is any grouping by which we join a pod or division which includes USC or OR, I think a 4th place finish may still mark a high spot - unless we have 5 divisions or pods after the expansion to 20 teams.

There is no reason the Gophers have not returned as a helmet school other than Minnesotans. PJ is in his 4th year. At that point the word rebuilding should never be uttered again. If your recruiting, player development, game planning, and game execution is top flight you never again rebuild. You reload all sectors of your game. To date PJ has been only marginally better than Kill and Claeys. If PJ doesn’t step it up this year he isn’t the man and only satisfies the whims of the mediocre. When strength of schedule determines your outlook for the season you are mediocre. That all said I expect no less than 10-2. I like PJ but I don’t give out passes. One note about UNC. Their OL and D are not all that good. Drake Maye is, but he is lonely out there.

Gopher fan, but I don’t deep dive on player analysis. We’ve had good offensive lines the past few years, which has helped immensely in our success. How is our O line this year? Can a Gopher Holer provide cliff notes please? Thanks!

Gopher fan, but I don’t deep dive on player analysis. We’ve had good offensive lines the past few years, which has helped immensely in our success. How is our O line this year? Can a Gopher Holer provide cliff notes please? Thanks!
Mentioned it in another thread...I believe six returning O-linemen played in all 13 games last year. Gophs also have a much more mobile QB who has a much better pocket presence and a big arm.

It depends on the 7. If we go 7-5 with two trophies in the case at the end of the season, I'm probably fine with that. 7-5 as spelled out in the original post is a pretty meh season with a feeling of "maybe next year".

Beat Nebraska and win 2 of 3 from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin would be a good season for me. Bonus would be to beat UNC and play tough vs Michigan & Ohio. What else can we ask from these young warriors? Be good men. Prepare. Compete. Leave it on the field, LFG!
So that would be 9-3, right?

At this time I see as favorites against NU, EMU, LA, and likely PU.

Slight favorites over NE & MSU.

50/50 with Iowa, WI, Illini and UNC.

Dogs against OSU and M.

Thats 6-6 worse case and 10-2 best.

So I'm going with 8-4.

Tbh if they are bowl eligible after this season with a Sophomore QB and this schedule then that is a win. So yes, happy with 7-5.

Wins over wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, tOSU, UNC and Illinois. Let’s go!!!!!!

Short answer is 5 losses is a bad season, but with this schedule losses could add up quickly.

You could potentially play well and lose to North Carolina, Ohio State, and Michigan because they are just better teams. If we play our best game and Michigan plays their best game, they are going to win. I don't think North Carolina is anywhere close to OSU and Michigan level but they are going to be tough.

No matter what Iowa and Wisconsin have going on in their programs, they always find a way to get 11 dudes on the field that know how to play football. It would be disappointing to lose to both Iowa and Wisconsin but it definitely isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Outside of those 5 games you have to win 100% of the games to have any shot at a decent record.

For whatever reason, I'm pretty pumped about our chances in that Michigan game. Something about it feels like we're gonna come in and hit em in the mouth. Michigan has been great the last few years but too inconsistent over time, Harbaugh and Co are gonna flub this one.
I too feel good about this

Hate Michigan and can’t wait for this game

For whatever reason, I'm pretty pumped about our chances in that Michigan game. Something about it feels like we're gonna come in and hit em in the mouth. Michigan has been great the last few years but too inconsistent over time, Harbaugh and Co are gonna flub this one.
I hope you are right, I wish I had your optimism.

I think we can give Ohio State a good game and be in the game midway through the fourth quarter, will see how it plays out.
I wish I could get on board with you on this one. Ohio State may have the best offense in all of college football —not just in the BIG

I hope you are right, I wish I had your optimism.
Michigan just doesn't strike me as the kind of threat/likely loss in the same way Ohio State does. Yes, I understand that Michigan has owned them the last couple of years. Michigan is just... I don't know. Underwhelming? I feel like we match up better with them. I may be way off on that but it's in my gut.

Our chance to really break out and shine was last year - we blew it. Now, we are rebuilding - albeit with less of a drop off than in years past. Last year, the card aligned in terms of schedule as well as strength of our conference overall. This year, we likely have a resurgent WI and we are still on basically a 1st year starter at QB. So, 7-5 is not bad for the team that we have - but, is this the team we should be fielding this many years into the PJ tenure? If there is any grouping by which we join a pod or division which includes USC or OR, I think a 4th place finish may still mark a high spot - unless we have 5 divisions or pods after the expansion to 20 teams.
Not much difference in experience between AK and 2019 Tanner Morgan. Inexperience should not be a factor at this point for AK.

AK is going to surprise the cynics. We got the QB, OL, WR, TE to make this passing game electric. I think we will steal Wisconsin's passing game hype.

I wish I could get on board with you on this one. Ohio State may have the best offense in all of college football —not just in the B1G.

When Debo establishes our DL and pass rush we can be the best D n the country. Our totally new O concept will be the best we have ever seen. I go back to the Rose Bowls saying that. We need NIL.

AK is going to surprise the cynics. We got the QB, OL, WR, TE to make this passing game electric. I think we will steal Wisconsin's passing game hype.
The OL will take a step forward even while losing 3 great guys IOL. Almost impossible to defense us now. Can’t stack the box anymore.

I didn’t see”Fuck no!” as a choice.

Seriously, though, if we beat Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa, I’m good!

Michigan just doesn't strike me as the kind of threat/likely loss in the same way Ohio State does. Yes, I understand that Michigan has owned them the last couple of years. Michigan is just... I don't know. Underwhelming? I feel like we match up better with them. I may be way off on that but it's in my gut.
Underwhelming how?

Probably helps that the Illini should have beat them last year. They’re not unbeatable.

Underwhelming how?
I don't know. They were just unimpressive to me. Yes, they made the playoffs. Yes, they beat up on Ohio state. But then TCU stomped their vaunted defense. Nothing about their qb play screams "watch out for us through the air." They play good defense and run the ball. That's also our bread and butter, and I anticipate we'll be able to deal with them as needed. People can talk about roster talent all day, but proper execution can beat talent. I have a lot of faith in our ability to execute our gameplan on both O and D.

This is one of those years where we could actually be better than last year ... and have 7 wins.
I just can't see less than 8 wins unless one aspect of our offense or defense is totally defunct or injury ridden. We should be a 9 win team entering the conf championship weekend. I think that's if the tossups and minor underdog games go our way, which they should.

Of course I could review this six months from now after we win four games the whole season and start asking myself, "where tf was I coming from???" Anything is possible.

I just can't see less than 8 wins unless one aspect of our offense or defense is totally defunct or injury ridden. We should be a 9 win team entering the conf championship weekend. I think that's if the tossups and minor underdog games go our way, which they should.

Of course I could review this six months from now after we win four games the whole season and start asking myself, "where tf was I coming from???" Anything is possible.
Hope springs eternal!

Top Bottom