Would Adam Weber be more successful if...

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
...he adopted more of a gunslinger mentality?

Or did he gunsling too much last year, and thus hinder his success?

Should gunslingers be allowed to play football? Or should they be slinging their guns elsewhere?

Adam Weber would be more successful if he learned to pass, and had better vision of the field, or didn't hold onto the ball too long. Other than that though I think he is very good.:rolleyes:

Adam Weber would have been more successful if he hadn't had 4 OCs in his 5 years at Minnesota, period.

Should gunslingers be allowed to play football? Or should they be slinging their guns elsewhere?

What quarterback wouldn't be more successful if he was allowed to shoot members of the opposing team?

Weber clearly was thinking way too hard on the field. If he ends up winning the job, hopefully Horton will find a way to make things a little more intuitive for the QBs so they can just be players out there, instead of robots.

Smart kid who made mistakes and owned them. I don't recall him blaming anyone but himself for his performance and it could be easy for a lesser type to whine about coaching changes. Doesn't get in scrapes with the law and will be a good alumnus.

anyone have his fumble stats? sumbuck is a tough one when it comes to getting hit and doesn't drop it.

Just let Weber be himself

like he was in his 2nd year. Don't make him into something he can't be.

As others alluded to he'd be more successful if he had more continuity around him in terms of system and offensive philosophy. He'd also be more successful if they didn't try monkeying with his mechanics.

I feel bad for Weber. He seems like a hard worker and an incredibly good guy, but things have really fallen apart for him. As frustrating as it is for us it has to be about a thousand times worse for him. I can't imagine walking back to the locker room after being perceived to blow the game and having to look everyone in the face.

Weber could be more successful if he had 2 good legs. He's still doing pretty well.

Weber was a lot better out of the shotgun formations, when he had more time to see the defense coming. Last year was ugly. Here's to hoping he refines his inability to drop back and recognize defensive schemes at the same time.

I think the team's "gunslinger" recently quit the team and went back home to Virginia Beach.

if horton simplifies things he can go from bad to adequate... he will be able to at least make some plays, i don't see him being any better than that though. even when he was second team all big ten he wasn't any better than serviceable against B10 teams. The guy just is not a good enough passer or runner to be any more than just ok. And only he can fix the freshman mistakes he still makes. I hope he does that if he wins the starting job, otherwise, it will be yet another long year on offense.

A big part of Weber being better is being able to run the football

Everyone know's the Gophers have to pass to be successfull moving the football, this leads to being predictable and easily keyed on by the defense. Two things clean up the line play and actually knock some defensive backs on there butts to generate a running game. Have a tailback that hit's the hole hard and with speed, or can actually shed or break a tackle. I'm hoping Kirkwood or Lipscomb if he ever come's in are big enough backs to shake off tackers and at least run a few defenders over at times. We need a back that will run someone over and dish it a little.

Clean up Weber's footwork, do not make changes to his throwing motion(let him decide how he is comfortable throwing the ball), and give him time and Weber is a decent enough QB To make enough play's to help win games. The guy can take a hit and get back up we know that he . His jersey was way to dirty last season. Get Gray some repetitions in blowout's we need him to start throwing the ball and be forced to make a few reads.

Certainly no one can make a serious case that Weber has not had plenty of opportunity to salt away the starting job. Coaching and systems aside, Weber has been outplayed by a great majority of his counterparts and that makes it tough to win. I can still see Northwestern's backup QB running all over the Dome while Weber danced around in the pocket, trying desperately to find Decker yet again. I'm not going to go back and look all this up, but my perception is that even during his oft-hailed second season, it was frequently Decker that bailed him out of some tough spots. Circus catches while being double-teamed (especially when other receivers were open) doesn't seem like an attractive quality for a QB. I know the younger guy has exhibited hands and comprehension problems, but you have to remember his obvious strengths. Sometimes you just take a big breath, look at upside, simplify the offense, put Gray in the shotgun with a green light to run and let athleticism be served.

Adam Weber would be more successful if he learned to pass, and had better vision of the field, or didn't hold onto the ball too long. Other than that though I think he is very good.:rolleyes:

Sad but true. timeliness and accuracy are HUGE opportunities for Adam next year.

rumor.gif

Pst, did you hear that Weber would get outplayed by a Middle School kid, and should be a TE?

Weber would be more successful if he didn't do his patented but worthless "Weber Spin".

Weber would be more successful if he didn't do his patented but worthless "Weber Spin".

Weber is a class act, who's fought through a ton of tough circumstances to lead the team through it's toughest year and come back with back to back bowl seasons.
Plain and simple, he might just be broken mentally, too many systems and philosophies and too much pain dished out by an awful O-line 2 years straight.
Horton gives me hope, in that he took mediocre Qb's at wisky and got good leaders and game managers out of them, the big question is can our running game be good enough to allow this to happen. I'd really love to see the cheap shots and insults to our 3 time captain disappear though, he's never made excuses for himself, chill out a bit before you post something demeaning.
And FYI his patented worthless spin has produced several spectacular passes in his career.

Plain and simple, he might just be broken mentally, too many systems and philosophies and too much pain dished out by an awful O-line 2 years straight.

If this is the case then he has no business starting for a Big 10 program. I just hope that the coaches can get past the fact that he's a Minnesota kid and replace him with someone who isn't mentally broken.

Weber is a class act, who's fought through a ton of tough circumstances to lead the team through it's toughest year and come back with back to back bowl seasons.
Horton gives me hope, in that he took mediocre Qb's at wisky and got good leaders and game managers out of them, the big question is can our running game be good enough to allow this to happen. I'd really love to see the cheap shots and insults to our 3 time captain disappear though, he's never made excuses for himself, chill out a bit before you post something demeaning.
And FYI his patented worthless spin has produced several spectacular passes in his career.

Weber has completed a spectacular pass? I can hardly remember a completion from him that was not a great effort by the receiver.

If this is the case then he has no business starting for a Big 10 program. I just hope that the coaches can get past the fact that he's a Minnesota kid and replace him with someone who isn't mentally broken.

I agree, hopefully he isn't. It's just my opinion that he might be scrambled, which sucks. If Gray can rise to the challenge this spring it all might be a mute point discussing Weber.

As for bankonit, thanks for making my point.

Weber has completed a spectacular pass? I can hardly remember a completion from him that was not a great effort by the receiver.

Based on your analysis I'm pretty surprised you can recognize what is considered a great effort by a receiver.

usually when he spins he then throws it 10 feet short of a wide open guy or spins into a defender because they know that it's coming, seeing as it's the only move he has. and his o-line gives him plenty of time... if you watch other teams play, weber gets as much time as any other QB in the nation. he just doesn't make any plays, and hurts the team with stupid mistakes and horrid throws. just because he's a three time captain and a class act who doesn't make excuses, doesn't make him not responsible for slowing down the offense. it's not entirely his fault, but he is a big part of why the offense can't move. every other QB you watch seems to make plays on his own, find receivers who are the 3rd or 4th in their progression for a big gain after avoiding the rush, and basically carry the team when they need to. weber has shown little ability to do any of this, and i doubt he will next year.

Everyone know's the Gophers have to pass to be successfull moving the football, this leads to being predictable and easily keyed on by the defense. Two things clean up the line play and actually knock some defensive backs on there butts to generate a running game. Have a tailback that hit's the hole hard and with speed, or can actually shed or break a tackle. I'm hoping Kirkwood or Lipscomb if he ever come's in are big enough backs to shake off tackers and at least run a few defenders over at times. We need a back that will run someone over and dish it a little.

Clean up Weber's footwork, do not make changes to his throwing motion(let him decide how he is comfortable throwing the ball), and give him time and Weber is a decent enough QB To make enough play's to help win games. The guy can take a hit and get back up we know that he . His jersey was way to dirty last season. Get Gray some repetitions in blowout's we need him to start throwing the ball and be forced to make a few reads.

Agreed. The offensive line and any semblance of a running game will be the key to Weber's success. He cannot complete a timing pattern to save his life, so the answer is to be less dependant on him to win. A better running game not only takes pressure off of him, but also opens up opportunities for what he is good at- throwing the deep ball and making throws on roll-outs and play-action passes.

He cannot complete a timing pattern to save his life
The Dunbar offense was based on timing patterns, you know the one he supposedly regressed from, you know the one he won awards in, you know the one people predicted big things based upon, ... wait I think I'm suppose to use "..." and not a run on sentence.

The Dunbar offense was based on timing patterns, you know the one he supposedly regressed from, you know the one he won awards in, you know the one people predicted big things based upon, ... wait I think I'm suppose to use "..." and not a run on sentence.

i'm assuming the "..." comment was aimed at me... my bad... wasn't aware this is english class... but anyway... he won an award for throwing 7 TD and 8 INT in big ten play... impressive... and he really didn't make many good throws on those timing routes. when bankonit, myself and others refer to great efforts by receivers, we are referring to the constant jumping, turning, and diving required to catch most weber passes. not to mention waiting on his deep throws... he has never hit deep routes in stride other than the michigan state game (perfect example being in the ISU game, mcknight should've had an easy 1st quarter TD, but it was underthrown by about 10 yards) his quarterbacking is about as good as my online grammar. tough guy, i like him, but he's just not a good QB.

Get after the OL for its slack run blocking if you must, but before taking yet another shot at this bunch for its pass protection go back and watch the games, all the while counting "one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five, one thousand - Geez he got sacked again."

If Weber is the QB next year, what can Horton do to get the best performance out of him? What you want to do on offense is shaped to a great extent by what your athletes are capable of doing.

Top Bottom