Worst officiated game ever

im going to have to give the credit to my group of 18 in section 236. im very confident we started the chant. i never thought the older people around me would start chanting it too but everyone was irate. i loved the passion and the anger tonight!

It was great to be there tonight. Triplett's fumble return for a TD against AFA is still the greatest moment in the new stadium, but the rage directed toward the officials tonight is something I will always remember. It was getting crazy in there for a while.

The most distressing thing (as in the Iowa/Indiana game) is the booth overruling plays that are CLEARLY judgment calls (whether 'right' or 'wrong'). I thought it had to be indisputable to overrule the call on the field? What it has become is "the booth judgment is better than the field judgment". This is BAD for the game.

Agreed. Those overturned calls made me wonder just a little if the Big Ten is just so desperate for a Natl Championship shot that the officials were trying to deliver the game to the Squawk-eyes...

If you go back and watch the film I think only two of the calls are worthy sending into the Big Ten office. The LB PI and Stodumire's celebration penalty. The hits out of bounds, tackles on offense, movement and delays are easy calls.

Were there a few more holding calls on MSU, yea but watching the game over I didn't see any tackles, on one blitz Lee C was tugged in one direction pretty good, the pass ended up being a TD to the TE.

im going to have to give the credit to my group of 18 in section 236. im very confident we started the chant. i never thought the older people around me would start chanting it too but everyone was irate. i loved the passion and the anger tonight!

I must sit a couple rows behind you in 236 - and yes, I agree your group started it. Nicely done!

Worst Officiated Game?? Nope. Gophers still won.

Try the Steeler so called "win" over the Seahawks in the Superbowl. I never saw a game so poorly officiated in my life. About 5 critical plays all called incorrectly against Seahawks.

There were indeed a lot of penalties in this game, and there were a lot of legit ones.

As noted, the ones that were bad were BAD.

One that no one is mentioning is the intentional grounding turned roughing the passer. The late hit out of bounds penalty the next play is what REALLY got the crowd mad. "THESE REFS SUCK" was heard loud and clear in the whole place.

This thread is funny because:

1. You won the game. Who gives a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about the refs when you win. Not only that, but it was a heck of a win.
2. There were two calls that certainly could have gone the other way that the Gophers got in their favor. Nothing to apologize about, but they were two huge calls.
3. For example, what if the ball bounced out of the receivers hands and an MSU player caught it and ran for a touchdown? Would your view of the play be just a bit different?

That was a huge win and the Gophers deserve a tremendous amount of credit. The goal line stand to maintain the lead in the 4th quarter was the biggest series of the entire game. Giving up the lead there may have been it.

Whining about the officials after a win like that is wasting energy.

1. You won the game. Who gives a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about the refs when you win.

So, what, horrible officiating doesn't mean anything if it doesn't happen to unfairly cost someone the game? That's asinine. Between this game and Iowa/IU (which was much worse) I think it's pretty obvious the Big Ten has some significant issues with officials. It's in everyone's best interest if attention is brought to it.

I'd like to think that, even if officials handed us a game like Iowa's did yesterday, people would mention it as an issue afterward. Maybe it's different in Wisconsin.

I lost my voice with that chant... It was awesome. I hate all refs all of the time!

1. You won the game. Who gives a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about the refs when you win. Not only that, but it was a heck of a win.
2. There were two calls that certainly could have gone the other way that the Gophers got in their favor. Nothing to apologize about, but they were two huge calls.
3. For example, what if the ball bounced out of the receivers hands and an MSU player caught it and ran for a touchdown? Would your view of the play be just a bit different?

That was a huge win and the Gophers deserve a tremendous amount of credit. The goal line stand to maintain the lead in the 4th quarter was the biggest series of the entire game. Giving up the lead there may have been it.

Whining about the officials after a win like that is wasting energy.

It's called being consistent. You'd be calling people out for b*tching about the officiating if the Gophers had lost too. Yes, the Gophers won. However, in NO WAY does that excuse the absolute TERRIBLE officiating that took place during the game.

I hope it doesn't take Brewster off the hook though for his share of the blame. A piece of this is still tied to undisciplined play that has been a Brewster trademark. That, and basically taking a knee with 1:08 to go in the half from your own 35 yd line and 2 timeouts. Coach Brewster has a long way to go before I'm comfortable with his game/team management.

I would agree with this. I know that MSU fans are probably up in arms about this play, but I think it was the right call. Think of it this way - if Bennett had not caught that ball, and it instead fell harmlessly to the ground, would the refs have ruled Incomplete or Catch? You would have to say incomplete, since like EG said it seems like receivers have to go to extraordinary measures to be given the reception.

When the refs initially announced the call, they said Catch & fumble, but if you look at the box score Duane Bennett got credit for a 59 yard TD catch. That means that the replay ruling must have been that Tow-Arnett never had control of the ball, which matches what would have happened if that would have fallen to the turf.

Even if they ruled it a catch, the ball never hit the ground, 1, and 2, although Nick wasn;t touching the ball while he was on the ground, he didn't have control of it when he was down. Either way it was a touchdown. Now, if Duane doesn't pick it up, then it matters, but as ruled, MSU didn't get screwed on that call at all.

Agreed. Those overturned calls made me wonder just a little if the Big Ten is just so desperate for a Natl Championship shot that the officials were trying to deliver the game to the Squawk-eyes...

I'm not sure that they were trying to help Iowa as much as the football reffing in the Big Ten is ALWAYS against Indiana and Minnesota.

Three teams are always favored: Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State. It's no coincidence that those are also the Big Ten's biggest football programs; those big programs get the calls that the little guys never get. Two teams are always hammered: Minnesota and Indiana. It's no coincidence that those are also the two teams with the longest lack of big bowl appearances and two of the smaller fanbases.

So, what, horrible officiating doesn't mean anything if it doesn't happen to unfairly cost someone the game? That's asinine. Between this game and Iowa/IU (which was much worse) I think it's pretty obvious the Big Ten has some significant issues with officials. It's in everyone's best interest if attention is brought to it.

I'd like to think that, even if officials handed us a game like Iowa's did yesterday, people would mention it as an issue afterward. Maybe it's different in Wisconsin.

You see, Wisconsin had their share of being on the good side of reffed games the past couple decades; have you ever watched any of their non-conference games at CR? Poor Fresno State might as well not get off the plane, they have zero chance of winning as the refs wouldn't allow them. And of course then there's the infamous Bo Ryan on the red/white sidelines come winter. So, listening to a Wisconsin fan tell others to not be concerned about bad officiating against their team is pretty much based on the fact that they are not in that situation often, and they really don't know what it feels like, at least not anymore. Kudos to them, must feel great, huh?

Someday perhaps the Gophers will have enough respect on the football field to get the same treatment. I think Tubby is starting to garner a little of it on the baskeball court.

Most every call you could see why they made the call, but most were really iffy. They could have kept the flag in their pocket and no one would have ever thought they missed one.

Top Bottom