Worst officiated game ever

goldfan24

Reaction score
No holding penalties on the MSU O-Line even though the Gophers are being tackled on every play.
This game is fixed by the refs and everybody watching it knows it.

If this weren't a recurring issue with Minnesota I would agree with you but we see this every single week it's time we accept that we're just not disciplined instead of pointing fingers.......

If this weren't a recurring issue with Minnesota I would agree with you but we see this every single week it's time we accept that we're just not disciplined instead of pointing fingers.......

AMEN. You, sir, are exactly right.

This was an extremely poor job of officiating ON BOTH SIDES. MSU got their own share of bad ones too. Just an embarrassment IMO.

I think the Big 10 officiating this year has been bad in every game that I have watched. Both sides were the recipients of bad calls tonight, but that doesn't make it right.

Seriously, with the advent of football on beautiful HD TV, I really have to wonder if:

(1) we can see the game live on the clear TV screen better than the officials, and
(2) if officiating back in the day wasn't just as bad, but it was harder to notice on standard definition TV.

The officiating awful, and the announcing wasn't much better. I knew that Tow-Arnett fumble would be ruled an incompletion as soon as it happened, yet the announcers seemed confused as to what was happening. I hate the rule, but guys now have to "complete the catch", eat a hamburger, and take 4 steps before a catch is ruled. You see it every week, and I was amazed the announcers were not on top of it.

Then the very next play Tow-Arnett was down by contact and a personal foul should have been called on MSU, I don't see how that was a TD for the Gophers unless it was ruled that Tow-Arnett never had possession.

If these officials called a game like this (mostly) against the home team in the SEC (or maybe even certain Big Ten schools), there would have been multiple homicides on the field.

The officiating awful, and the announcing wasn't much better. I knew that Tow-Arnett fumble would be ruled an incompletion as soon as it happened, yet the announcers seemed confused as to what was happening. I hate the rule, but guys now have to "complete the catch", eat a hamburger, and take 4 steps before a catch is ruled. You see it every week, and I was amazed the announcers were not on top of it.

Then the very next play Tow-Arnett was down by contact and a personal foul should have been called on MSU, I don't see how that was a TD for the Gophers unless it was ruled that Tow-Arnett never had possession.

If these officials called a game like this (mostly) against the home team in the SEC (or maybe even certain Big Ten schools), there would have been multiple homicides on the field.

Tow-Arnett didn't have control of the ball on the way down, hence it was a live ball. When Bennett caught it in mid-air, it was a perfectly legitimate play.

Yes and no. Yes, we did shoot ourselves in the foot at times (many many times in fact). But there were also TERRIBLE calls (the PI on Campbell where the back judge 30 yards away makes a call that the umpire 5 yards away left alone, the taunt that didn't exist, the late hit out of bounds that wasn't there, the no call on the helmet to helmet on Tow-Arnett). It was still bad officiating despite our mistakes.

EG#9, with you on the first one. It was clear (and I didn't have my maroon-and-gold glass on) that Tow-Arnett didn't have posession on the play initially ruled a fumble. He had barely turned to go upfield.

On the second one, the ball was coming loose while he was turning over onto his back. How it managed to deflect that high is a mystery of football physics.

EG#9, with you on the first one. It was clear (and I didn't have my maroon-and-gold glass on) that Tow-Arnett didn't have posession on the play initially ruled a fumble. He had barely turned to go upfield.

On the second one, the ball was coming loose while he was turning over onto his back. How it managed to deflect that high is a mystery of football physics.

And the thing is, that play is nothing compared to how nuts that Iowa pinball INT for 6 was earlier!

Refs everywhere are overdoing the "control of the ball" aspect of catches. In the old days if you had the ball at the end, or as you went out of bounds, you had it, regardles of whether it tumbled or turned as you ran - Indiana was robbed of a clear touchdown today on such a ruling. There were three teams in this game, with the refs getting almost as much yardage as MSU.

The B10 refs are so pathetic. Lack of leadership at the top means no accountability.

I think both calls on NTA on that drive were made by the book but with these guys, you never know what your going to get. On the non-fumble, I think, as Dickens said, "the law is an ass". For all intents and purposes, that is a fumble.

Bottom line. I have NEVER seen the Gophers as the beneficiary of some luck at the end of the game. Ever. I am happy to break that steak tonight. As horrible as the officiating was, it was par for the course as far as B10 officiating goes for the Gophers.

Good for Brew calling them out during his post game interview (Q: "how about all those penalties Brew? A: I am not going to comment on the B10 officiating right now.") If the B10 isn't going to kick these guys in the pants, Brew has to stick up for his guys.

I only seen a part of the game, but the calls that were made during that time seemed legit...

BTW - When Brew made that comment about the Refs after the game, the first thing that came to mind was I could now believe he did tweet that comment about Ruesse.

I will say the Gophers did benefit on that Tow-Arnott pass. It did look like he fumbled and they called it back so he might not want to shout to loudly. That ended up a TD which sealed the game.

I only seen a part of the game, but the calls that were made during that time seemed legit...

BTW - When Brew made that comment about the Refs after the game, the first thing that came to mind was I could now believe he did tweet that comment about Ruesse.

There were plenty of legit calls (many more legit than not). I think Brew was amped up b/c the bad calls were pretty bad.

There were plenty of legit calls (many more legit than not). I think Brew was amped up b/c the bad calls were pretty bad.

Correct. There were some legit calls and behind the scenes Brew better address this with the lads. But, I 100% support Brew in calling the refs out for outrageous officiating. It has gone on too long and if the B10 won't address it on their own, Brew has to do so.

If circumstances had been different from what they were, and the B10 officials were decent/consistent, I would rather Brew not argue. But, if there's one thing circumstances weren't, it is different from what they were.

The refs heard an earful with the "These Refs Suck!" chant and boos throughout the entire MSU drive following the late hit call. It probably wasn't on TV with as it took off during an injury timeout but it was great to see the stadium come together for such a spontaneous chant.

Calling penalties is fine...if you're willing to call them both ways. When every borderline call goes one way, it smells awfully fishy. Whoever is in charge of Big Ten officiating should be ashamed of what went on with the zebras tonight.

The Big Ten officials are absolutely pathetic this year. I have never seen a collection of officiating this brutal at any level in any sport.

Tow-Arnett didn't have control of the ball on the way down, hence it was a live ball. When Bennett caught it in mid-air, it was a perfectly legitimate play.
I would agree with this. I know that MSU fans are probably up in arms about this play, but I think it was the right call. Think of it this way - if Bennett had not caught that ball, and it instead fell harmlessly to the ground, would the refs have ruled Incomplete or Catch? You would have to say incomplete, since like EG said it seems like receivers have to go to extraordinary measures to be given the reception.

When the refs initially announced the call, they said Catch & fumble, but if you look at the box score Duane Bennett got credit for a 59 yard TD catch. That means that the replay ruling must have been that Tow-Arnett never had control of the ball, which matches what would have happened if that would have fallen to the turf.

It was great to see the crowd genuinely irate at the refs. I almost had a fit on the pass interference call from not only 30 yards away but also several seconds after the play. It's hard to tell from the stands how many of the calls were poor, but I thought an inordinate number of calls came in front of the Michigan State bench where the refs might have had help from the Spartans on the calls.

The refs heard an earful with the "These Refs Suck!" chant and boos throughout the entire MSU drive following the late hit call. It probably wasn't on TV with as it took off during an injury timeout but it was great to see the stadium come together for such a spontaneous chant.

You couldn't hear the These Refs Suck chant. But you could hear the boo's continuing for 3-4 plays afterward...and they were LOUD.

The "these refs suck" chant was phenomenal. Well done stadium, I loved it.

For more horrid B-10 officiating, check out the IU @ Iowa game. Some absolutely brutal calls in that one too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Lynch ends up in a sanitarium after that one.

The most distressing thing (as in the Iowa/Indiana game) is the booth overruling plays that are CLEARLY judgment calls (whether 'right' or 'wrong'). I thought it had to be indisputable to overrule the call on the field? What it has become is "the booth judgment is better than the field judgment". This is BAD for the game.

For more horrid B-10 officiating, check out the IU @ Iowa game. Some absolutely brutal calls in that one too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Lynch ends up in a sanitarium after that one.

That was the worst officiated game I've ever seen. It almost made me wonder if the game was fixed. Seriously.

The "these refs suck" chant was phenomenal. Well done stadium, I loved it.

im going to have to give the credit to my group of 18 in section 236. im very confident we started the chant. i never thought the older people around me would start chanting it too but everyone was irate. i loved the passion and the anger tonight!

Top Bottom