Won't it be fun?

GVBadger

Reaction score
I am glad that Paul Chryst did not get this job for one reason. It would have been flat out embarrassing to see the reaction of Gophers fans if he did. Your fan base does not deserve a coach as good as Chryst and probably not as good as Kill either.

Won't it be fun to have a coach on the sidelines that can actually coach? That has a system? A set of ideals that he is going to stick to and try and build on? A staff that knows how to find the type of players that they can win with? The notion that this guy can't do it at this level is absurd. Of course he can. Nobody knows, but nobody knows about anyone that has not done it at this level will do until they try it. Hoke, Golden, any mid major coach that people were clamoring for you just don't know. Golden wins at Temple and he is good, Kill wins at UNI and he is bad? Please.

There was not a guarantee out there that was going to take this job. You can scream for Leach, NOBODY in big time football is going to hire him. No successful BCS coach is going to take this job. Just not going to happen.

He has found the type of player he needs to win at every level. There is no reason he can't find the type of player he needs to win in the Big 10. Cancel the rivals subscriptions, stop worrying about recruiting rankings and let the guy coach. I am actually rooting for the guy now because I think it is a joke the way he is being hammered by the fan base. My god, he brought his team in to TCF this year and kicked the Gophers all over the building, doesn't that say enough?

Give the guy a break.

South Dakota came into TCF and kicked the crap out of the Gophers too. Is that enough of a reason to hire their coach? Glen Mason could coach and had a system. He folded under even the lightest of pressure. Hopefully Kill succeeds. Time will tell. His coaching resume isn't the problem. The administration and the unbelievable short-sightedness of the higher-ups is why the fanbase is upset.

I totally agree! Give the guy a chance.

Welcome to Minnesota, Coach Kill

A big name coach would have filled the stadium only for a short while. This hire will not fill it unless he wins a lot of games. Both he and the U have no chance unless he wins.

I feel absolutely dirty for doing this, but I agree with a Badger fan 100%. Some of you people should be ashamed of yourselves.

A lot of the hate is coming from the newbs.

My take on the big name coaches is that they would have only been here 4-5 years tops. They would have failed or moved on by then. Maybe Kill provides the capability to build for long term success.

Of course long term success has to be defined, lets say .500 in the big ten over time. I can't help but think that Minnesota contributed greatly to Iowa's and Wisconsin's success the last 6 years. Losing to Minnesota once in a while really changes the perception of those teams season. Look at what happened to Iowa this year

Wow GV. That was well stated.

GVBadger: You are a "poster child" of what a GREAT Big Ten fan says, does and IS...

Hopefully your wise words will have some impact around here.

Thanks for displaying the characteristics the GREAT Big Ten fans share. Good, solid football is COACHED, nurtured and built by laying a sound foundation. It is not totally reliant on fantasy high school recruit rankings. Give me a good solid coach and a staff that shares the vision, passion and core beliefs in the system and schemes with that head coach and a love for teaching the players and the program can work towards being competetive.

Thanks!

There are at least 30 people who post here regularly that obviously belong in a mental institution.

As I've said a dozen times. Jerry Kill isn't the problem. Nobody wants him to fail. The problem is that incompetent little weasel that's in charge of the athletic department. Brewster was villified because he had the gall to come into the U and suggest that the goal was winning a Rose Bowl. He talked big and it cost him his job. Maturi talked big about getting a big-time coach. Jerry Kill's a very good football coach, his resume and results on the field back that up. He's not big time. Hopefully he can be here, but his job is more difficult than it should be thanks to the people who are allowed to make the administrative decisions regarding the Gopher football program.

Well said. It’s also interesting to note that the poll about whether or not MN is committed to football success has two options, both of which refer to the University and none of which have to do with the fan base. I think our season ticket renewal numbers will show whether or not Minnesota is committed to football success and supporting the program.

GVBadger is 100% right. The more I learn about Kill, the more there is to like. In fact, the only thing not to like is that he was hired by Maturi.

I'm willing to go on record right now and say the team will be drastically improved next year working under a real football coach with a real system--things that provide for stability in a program that hasn't had stability for four years.

As for the Mason comparisons, if Kill is Mason without the amazing ability to fold in the biggest situations, then I (for one) will be extremely happy. Because if that is what we get, then we get a team that can finish .500 in the BT regularly, with an occasional 6-2 (7-1??) thrown in. In other words, we would be at the Iowa/UW level we would all want to be.

GVBadger, I have to say that I as well agree with you 100%. Didn't know if it would ever happen but it did. It is shameful the way "fans" are wetting their pants because the U hired a through and through solid football coach.

If he's Mason plus defense, that could be a very good thing. I think there were so many names thrown out there that it was inevitable that there were going to be some very disappointed people. But it seems that people's attitudes toward Kill are softening as their disappointment that their preferred coach didn't get hired fades. The prevailing attitude seems to support Kill, but turn their frustration on Maturi. It's time to get a new AD anyways, it's like a snake shedding its skin. We should start the search process soon, now that we have a new President hired.

What's hilarious is about the only people saying this is a bad hire is Minnesota fans. Snooping around, I haven't heard hardly anyone question this hire on the national landscape. It's mainly Minnesota media and fans who are up in arms. Not to say I'm not disappointed, but I do feel better in that our hire isn't being ridiculed like Brewster's was when he came in.

I never agree with Badger fans. My ideas may from time to time correspond with their ideas, but agree? Never.

What's hilarious is about the only people saying this is a bad hire is Minnesota fans. Snooping around, I haven't heard hardly anyone question this hire on the national landscape. It's mainly Minnesota media and fans who are up in arms. Not to say I'm not disappointed, but I do feel better in that our hire isn't being ridiculed like Brewster's was when he came in.

I agree with this as well. Some set the bar too high (including Maturi) and are now acting like a child who doesn't get their way. I was a little disappointed right away like most were, but that was because he's not a big time name. I think most fans will calm down after a few days or weeks. I look forward to seeing what Kill can do. Remember, he wanted to be the head coach of the Gophers, unlike others that turned us down. I'll support him 100%.

To continue on the original theme it's fun to consider that Coach Kill is 2-3 against B10 teams with MAC talent. What will he be able to do with the, at least average B10 level talent, on this team?

To continue on the original theme it's fun to consider that Coach Kill is 2-3 against B10 teams with MAC talent. What will he be able to do with the, at least average B10 level talent, on this team?

It's a very exciting notion; I agree.

To my knowledge...

I am glad that Paul Chryst did not get this job for one reason. It would have been flat out embarrassing to see the reaction of Gophers fans if he did. Your fan base does not deserve a coach as good as Chryst and probably not as good as Kill either.

Won't it be fun to have a coach on the sidelines that can actually coach? That has a system? A set of ideals that he is going to stick to and try and build on? A staff that knows how to find the type of players that they can win with? The notion that this guy can't do it at this level is absurd. Of course he can. Nobody knows, but nobody knows about anyone that has not done it at this level will do until they try it. Hoke, Golden, any mid major coach that people were clamoring for you just don't know. Golden wins at Temple and he is good, Kill wins at UNI and he is bad? Please.

There was not a guarantee out there that was going to take this job. You can scream for Leach, NOBODY in big time football is going to hire him. No successful BCS coach is going to take this job. Just not going to happen.

He has found the type of player he needs to win at every level. There is no reason he can't find the type of player he needs to win in the Big 10. Cancel the rivals subscriptions, stop worrying about recruiting rankings and let the guy coach. I am actually rooting for the guy now because I think it is a joke the way he is being hammered by the fan base. My god, he brought his team in to TCF this year and kicked the Gophers all over the building, doesn't that say enough?

Give the guy a break.

Congratulations. To my knowledge, this is the first worthwhile thing you've ever contributed to the board. I agree 100%. Very well said.

I said from the beginning, I actually care more about who the incoming coach was bringing with him than who actually gets hired. I'll take Jerry Kill and all or most of his staff over a bigger and flashier hire from a bigger school who would have had to build a staff.

No, he's not the sexy hire that most of us wanted (including myself, I'll admit); but the guy flat out coaches. I can't wait to see intelligent, disciplined, relatively mistake-free football out of the team that I root for for a change.

This is a guy Gopher fans could and should get behind.

It will be exciting to beat becky butth@le five years in a row and bring the axe back where it belongs.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's 2-3 with MAC talent & 1-0 with FCS talent. SIU beat Indiana in 2006.

It will be exciting to beat becky butth@le five years in a row and bring the axe back where it belongs.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On top of that, I'm looking forward to spending my time on Badger boards when the Gophers are heading to the Rose Bowl to take on an undefeated team.

I personally think GVBadger should stick to his own board. People are reacting towards Kill, not because of who he is, but who our AD said he would be.

Maturi doesn't know what he is doing and how to go about hiring a big time coach unless it lands in his lap.

Top Bottom