WNIT Championship Game: Gophers versus St. Louis (4-6-24) @SIUE

From the U of MN:

Gophers Topple Troy, Advance to WNIT Championship

The University of Minnesota women’s basketball team defeated Troy 74-69 on the road in the Fab 4 of the WNIT on Wednesday night at Trojan Arena. The Gophers will now face St. Louis for the WNIT Championship on Saturday, April 6.

The Gophers, who improved to 20-15 on the season, had four players score in double figures. They were led by Amaya Battle, who had 18 points, seven rebounds and four assists. Mallory Heyer tacked on 15 points and nine rebounds and Sophie Hart chipped in 12 points and 11 rebounds. Grace Grocholski added 11 points, including a late-game three that put Minnesota up by four points with 38 seconds remaining.

Minnesota has now won 20 games in a season for the first time since 2018-19 when it went 21-11 and advanced to the second round of the WNIT.

On defense, Minnesota held Troy (22-12) to 3-of-17 from three and grabbed 31 rebounds. Troy came into the game averaging 81 points, but were held to 69 by Minnesota. It was just the eighth time – and second since early February – that Troy was held below 70 points.

How It Happened

After playing to a 7-7 tie early in the game, Minnesota went on an 8-0 run with 6:09 left in the first quarter, culminating in a bucket from Hart, to take a 15-7 lead. The Gophers maintained that lead and entered the quarter break with a 23-15 advantage. Minnesota did most of its first quarter damage in the paint, scoring 14 of its 23 points close to the basket.

Minnesota kept its first quarter lead intact before going on a 6-0 run starting at the 5:21 mark in the second quarter, highlighted by a bucket from Battle, to increase its lead to 36-28. Minnesota led 45-36 at halftime.

After intermission, Minnesota held on to its advantage and owned a 62-59 lead heading into the fourth quarter. Minnesota turned four offensive rebounds into five second chance points on the way to scoring 17 total points in the third quarter.

The Gophers held on for the win from there, as they outscored Troy 12-10 in the fourth quarter. Minnesota took advantage of its opportunities in the post, scoring six of its 12 points in the paint.

Game Notes

» Sophie Hart notched a double-double for the Golden Gophers with 12 points and 11 rebounds
» The Gophers held the Trojans to only 35.4 percent shooting from the field
» Minnesota never trailed after taking a 23-15 first quarter lead
» Minnesota had a great day defensively, holding Troy to 18 percent from beyond the arc on 17 attempts
» The Gopher defense forced 16 turnovers
» Minnesota cleaned up on the offensive glass, collecting 15 offensive boards in the game
» Amaya Battle led the Gophers with 18 points
» Minnesota got a team-high 11 rebounds from Sophie Hart

Tonights game was exciting and very competitive. This run in the WNIT tournament has generated fan interest in the program. It has resulted in more people taking notice that these ladies, the MN Gophers are a very fun team to watch. More local media coverage at a time of year when it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. They battled their butts off in a hostile arena against a good opponent, that threw a lot at them and they survived and advanced. Learning how to win on the road in tough environments is invaluable. Not many teams get to end the year winning their last game. Go Gophers, beat St Louis. AD, can we please send the band and cheer squad as a reward for making the WNIT championship game? It's short notice but it would be nice to have that support. Would be nice to hang a new banner in Williams Arena.

Gophers play for the championship! The players are pumped!

Yes, they did beat Troy without Braun. Troy's Net was 114. That's not bad.

The way the Gophers played in the tournament was not fancy, but Braun will be back. McKenna Johnson and Tori McKinnie come in next season. If they can get the offense to a better spot with everyone healthy, they should be a fun team to watch -- and make the NCAA tournament for sure.

Earlier this season Gophers did beat NCAA tournament teams like Michigan and Nebraska.

Btw, that tv announcer was a total "homer". Made even Ray Christiansen look like a neutral observer!
Based on the Troy University ads running during breaks, it seemed to me it was a "local" broadcast, so of course the announcer would be a "homer". Turn down the sound and listen to the radio play by play. I was just happy to be able to see the game.

Think the sooner they announce it, the sooner people can get tickets to it. Shouldn't take this long
They are finding a neutral site between Minneapolis and St. Louis from what Coach said in postgame.

Cedar Rapids would be the ideal location.

I vote for Ames! (Currently in Ames, which in no way skews my opinion lol)

It's wild to me that this hasn't been announced. The game is happening in two days! You're expecting two fanbases to travel now, not just one!

I vote for Ames! (Currently in Ames, which in no way skews my opinion lol)

It's wild to me that this hasn't been announced. The game is happening in two days! You're expecting two fanbases to travel now, not just one!
Plus the TV setup

I’m checking out the St. Louis team page and I think it should be a good game! They are an experienced team with 4 graduate students and two seniors. Their coach is in their 2nd year there coming from Longwood, and St. Louis has 4 Longwood transfers on the roster, along with a St. John’s xfer. They won their conference tournament last year to become an NCAA Tournament team.

This tournament they seem to play to the level of their opponent with close point margins in games… 5 point win, 4 point win, 4 point win, 5 point win, 3 point win (they did not have the first round bye like us). Two games ago they beat Wisconsin (without WI’s best player, Serah Williams) - and with our consistent issues with WI, that says something.

I’m excited for our Gophers, and after how hard this core has worked the past couple seasons would love to see them get to experience ending the season with a big win!

Glen Mason as neutral football analyst is biggest homer I have ever heard.

Not early on he wasn't. He constantly ripped the Gophers, whether they deserved it or not. He was even taken off the Network roundtable for awhile. Then he began calling the games after a change in rights holder.

Think the powers that be took him aside after one of his bitter grumblings and after that he went more neutral. Actually started promoting the Gophers in Fleck's big year. Barrerio even called Mason out on it.

Danny Boy liked the "Gopher hater" Mason much better.

Not early on he wasn't. He constantly ripped the Gophers, whether they deserved it or not. He was even taken off the Network roundtable for awhile. Then he began calling the games after a change in rights holder.

Think the powers that be took him aside after one of his bitter grumblings and after that he went more neutral. Actually started promoting the Gophers in Fleck's big year. Barrerio even called Mason out on it.

Danny Boy liked the "Gopher hater" Mason much better.
Dan has not had a rational thought since 1995

Minnesota Women's Basketball​

The Women's NIT title game is set!
🏆

Minnesota and St. Louis will tip at 2:00 pm CT on Saturday on the campus of SIU-Edwardsville. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network

Top Bottom