Wisconsin staff

Bob_Loblaw said:
The only time losing positional coaches really would have me worried are when they are supposedly great recruiters and when it comes right after losing coordinators. I think WI will be fine, but they will lose some of the continuity. It might take a little next season with Chryst and Bostad leaving the year after Doreen went to North Illinois, but with the right hires they'll be fine.

However, if I were WI, i'd stay away from Norvell. He was the offensive coordinator (I don't think he called plays) with Callahan in Nebraska. He is considered a Callahan guy (was on his staff in Oakland). That was brutal in Lincoln, then he moved onto UCLA and was brutal there. Did they not offer the job to Bostad?

If they did and he turned it down, then going from OC at WI to OC at Pitt is step down. If they didn't, that's strange to me.

You are correct that Norvell did not call the plays at Nebraska when there with Callahan, one of the reasons he left. I also vaguely remember him talking about health problems for his wife at the time and the better medical facilities in LA. Callahan's offenses were actually decent, it was his defenses that were the problem. That due to the Cosgrove effect.

Love the fact that Benett didn't check his article closely before posting it.

"Graham bolted Pittsburgh for Arizona State, leading to Badgers offensive coordinator Todd Chryst getting the Pitt job."

If they keep the same system and the new coaches really understand it, I don't think the change will be devastating. Our problem was Brewster did not have systems, he was more like a GM than a coach. Every time we changed coordinators, we changed systems. That is a disaster. Most head coaches have systems they want to play and the coordinator may make some changes, but you don't replace everything. Not true the last four years here.

Joe Schad (ESPN reporter who is a huge tool) reporting that Norvell interviewed w/ Enema but is passing on the job offer to stay at Oklahoma.

That could be, but I think if they "chose" Rudolph over Bostad that's a mistake. Rudolph has obviously been a great coach, as WI's TEs are always good and like you said he works hand-in-hand with Bostad. However, Bostad coached arguably the best position group in all of the NCAA. I think that kind of coaching is more difficult to find than a good recruiter. Lastly, I don't really get how hiring Bostad would have cost them Rudolph. If they hired Bostad as OC and moved Rudolph to OL coach. Isn't that what the plan is with Norvell? I am kind of surprised that Bucky fans would be pumped about Norvell though. I know he's a WI guy, but all of the Callahan stuff would have me worried.

It definitely could be a mistake letting Bostad go. To answer your question about Rudolph leaving if Bostad would have stayed- if Bostad would have stayed he would have been the in-game run coordinator, a position Rudolph now has and really wanted. Additionally, and more importantly, Rudolph was second in line for the OC job at Pitt behind Bostad. So if Bostad would have stayed with UW, Rudolph would have had the offer for a significant promotion...and he's from Pittsburgh. Basically it was one or the other.

The reason I would have been psyched about Norvell is that he is a great recruiter and has a very solid reputation. Our system is already in place, and Rudolph would still be coordinating the run game coordinator. I believe(d) that Norvell would have been a great replacement at OC.

It definitely could be a mistake letting Bostad go. To answer your question about Rudolph leaving if Bostad would have stayed- if Bostad would have stayed he would have been the in-game run coordinator, a position Rudolph now has and really wanted. Additionally, and more importantly, Rudolph was second in line for the OC job at Pitt behind Bostad. So if Bostad would have stayed with UW, Rudolph would have had the offer for a significant promotion...and he's from Pittsburgh. Basically it was one or the other.

The reason I would have been psyched about Norvell is that he is a great recruiter and has a very solid reputation. Our system is already in place, and Rudolph would still be coordinating the run game coordinator. I believe(d) that Norvell would have been a great replacement at OC.
What does the run-game coordiantor do? I've never heard of this position. I assume he calls the running plays during the game?

Joe Schad (ESPN reporter who is a huge tool) reporting that Norvell interviewed w/ Enema but is passing on the job offer to stay at Oklahoma.

I honestly think it will be difficult for wisky to get someone with a good pedigree. Once a candidate sits down with bulemia he'll look around at other options.

What does the run-game coordiantor do? I've never heard of this position. I assume he calls the running plays during the game?

A run game coordinator does not actually call running plays; that would cause a lot of conflict in game with the offensive coordinator when running and passing are both legitimate options. From what I understand, the run game coordinator works with the offense during practice on running plays and helps with the design and management of that part of the offense. Being the O-line coach, you work with the O-line on technique and assignments, but you aren't part of the play design. That's the difference from what I understand, but I've never been a college football coach, or any type of football coach for that matter, so I could be completely wrong.

I honestly think it will be difficult for wisky to get someone with a good pedigree. Once a candidate sits down with bulemia he'll look around at other options.

Well that's clearly not true. The only coordinator that was a holdover from the BA era was Paul Chryst. We have and have had a lot of very good assistants, most of which came from D1 programs and were not offered a promotion.

We cooled on Chryst, Bostad, Huxtable, and Alexander :)

Seriously however, here is the schedule for 2012. The only games I see UW losing are Nebraska, one of MSU/OSU/PSU, and the Rose Bowl :). I'll be shocked if they win less than nine games even with a new signal caller. I think that Ball, Pederson, and Abbrederis give them enough on offense to still score some points. The D-Line was unspectacular but deep, and the linebackers return. They need to find some DB's in spring practice however.

Sept. 1 - Northern Iowa
Sept. 8 - at Oregon State
Sept. 15 - Utah State
Sept. 22 - UTEP
Sept. 29 - at Nebraska
Oct. 6 - Illinois
Oct. 13 - at Purdue
Oct. 20 - Minnesota
Oct. 27 - Michigan State
Nov. 3 - BYE
Nov. 10 - at Indiana
Nov. 17 - Ohio State
Nov. 24 - at Penn State

Dec. 1 - Big Ten championship

Jan. 1 - Rose Bowl

Well that's clearly not true. The only coordinator that was a holdover from the BA era was Paul Chryst. We have and have had a lot of very good assistants, most of which came from D1 programs and were not offered a promotion.
You guys will be fine, whether Bielema is good or not, your AD understands exactly what college football is about and will not let him screw it up. At Minn, the coach not only has to overcome the opponent, he has to overcome our completely over his head AD.
It is like having Mr Rogers in charge of the Secret Service.

You guys will be fine, whether Bielema is good or not, your AD understands exactly what college football is about and will not let him screw it up. At Minn, the coach not only has to overcome the opponent, he has to overcome our completely over his head AD.
It is like having Mr Rogers in charge of the Secret Service.

Haha, fair enough.

For what it is worth, I wish our coach had the amicability and likability of coach Kill, but he doesn't. He's not a great in game coach either, by any stretch. However, his players love him, he runs a clean program, and he knows how to promote the university and athletics program. He has improved our recruiting significantly and has consistently surrounded himself with a competent supporting staff that makes him look better than he is. Wisconsin is not in the position to bring in a top-tier, proven, head coach, so far the forseeable future, as long as he continues to do what he has been doing, I am happy to have him as our coach.

Hold the phone. Now appears Rudolph may leave as well. I take back my predictions that UW won't miss a beat. That's a lot of turnover, although still less than OSU and PSU.

I can't believe that there is less of a stigma for Rudolph for eating boogers at Pitt than Wisky.

Yo...Joe, thanks for signing the contract, but you can just go ahead and keep that pen.

I'd like to bump the dumpster fire thread where wisky trolls attempt to defend BB and deminish Chryst/Bostad/Alverez's roles in BB's success in a year when wisky goes 7-5, and again in 2 years when they go 4-8 with multiple press conference blowups and 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties on Burt.
Rats off a ship, hopefully Benedict Hammhock leaves too.

Badger2010, you are a voice of reason and have become my favorite badger...

Badger2010, you are a voice of reason and have become my favorite badger...

Truth be told, most Badger fans on our boards feel the way I do. He makes a lot of mistakes in game at crucial times. He's not a bad coach in game, he's just not great. It's definitely an area he can improve on with experience too.

As for the likability factor, I think people blow a lot of what he says out of proportion to pile on him and his reputation. Take for instance that alleged quote (paraphrasing) "I guess it's a good time to be a Badger." That quote was portrayed as a one line statement and a direct response to the situation at Penn State. It was, however, merely a part of a long response to a question about all the turmoil going on around college football. When put in context it was not a big deal, in fact it was an appropriate response to the question; he was essentially saying Badger fans should be happy because Wisconsin's program is in the news for positive reasons.

I disagree when people say he has gotten lucky, because he was the one who chose the people that he surrounded himself with, he's the one who continued with Barry's plan, and he's the one who has put our program on the national radar (note: this isn't to say we are a national/elite/etc program, just that we have been in the national spotlight a lot recently.)

We cooled on Chryst, Bostad, Huxtable, and Alexander :)

Seriously however, here is the schedule for 2012. The only games I see UW losing are Nebraska, one of MSU/OSU/PSU, and the Rose Bowl :). I'll be shocked if they win less than nine games even with a new signal caller. I think that Ball, Pederson, and Abbrederis give them enough on offense to still score some points. The D-Line was unspectacular but deep, and the linebackers return. They need to find some DB's in spring practice however.

Sept. 1 - Northern Iowa
Sept. 8 - at Oregon State
Sept. 15 - Utah State
Sept. 22 - UTEP
Sept. 29 - at Nebraska
Oct. 6 - Illinois
Oct. 13 - at Purdue
Oct. 20 - Minnesota
Oct. 27 - Michigan State
Nov. 3 - BYE
Nov. 10 - at Indiana
Nov. 17 - Ohio State
Nov. 24 - at Penn State

Dec. 1 - Big Ten championship

Jan. 1 - Rose Bowl

I'm not sure what kind of logic you're using here but it seems flawed to me. They will lose at Nebraska; at Purdue will be difficult because they return a lot of people and it's earlier in the season. MSU could be the best team in the BT next year as they already were this year and they return a TON of players (albeit no QB). At PSU, late in the season will be a tough game as they return a lot of players as well.

OSU returns damn near the entire team (the entire starting defense returns). I'd have a hard time believing that they'll beat OSU, even at home. With Indiana in their second year with the new coaching staff/system, they may even struggle at Indiana.

True, it's not the most daunting schedule but Wisky is a mess at QB. It's one thing to lose your starter to graduation. But behind Wilson, they literally had nothing this year. With Konz leaving, they lose 3 starters on the O-line (I know, I know, Badger fans will say they love Ryan Groy at C), two of which were All-Americans I believe.

I'm absolutely shocked that Ball is returning. With Chryst and Bostad jumping ship, no returning QB with any experience, and the losses on the O-line, his stock can only go down. The only reasonable explanation is that the feedback he was getting was that he wouldn't be drafted very high. Ball is going to find the going a lot tougher next year facing 8 in the box all year.

All that being said, sure, a few things could go right for Wisky and they could win 9 games. Way too early to tell at this point....

Truth be told, most Badger fans on our boards feel the way I do. He makes a lot of mistakes in game at crucial times. He's not a bad coach in game, he's just not great. It's definitely an area he can improve on with experience too.

As for the likability factor, I think people blow a lot of what he says out of proportion to pile on him and his reputation. Take for instance that alleged quote (paraphrasing) "I guess it's a good time to be a Badger." That quote was portrayed as a one line statement and a direct response to the situation at Penn State. It was, however, merely a part of a long response to a question about all the turmoil going on around college football. When put in context it was not a big deal, in fact it was an appropriate response to the question; he was essentially saying Badger fans should be happy because Wisconsin's program is in the news for positive reasons.

I disagree when people say he has gotten lucky, because he was the one who chose the people that he surrounded himself with, he's the one who continued with Barry's plan, and he's the one who has put our program on the national radar (note: this isn't to say we are a national/elite/etc program, just that we have been in the national spotlight a lot recently.)

You might not want to post this on a badger board.
I really don't want to get into it with another badger bashfest, but you are not a typical badger fan right now. Most fans we see here very strongly think that BB is a great coach, a great guy, and wisconsin is a top 5 program every year, AND it will never change except if wisconsin becomes the TOP program in the country.

Burt is still an Ahole, it's still barry's plan, the best assistants are leaving, and as a defensive coach he's done nothing to put his stamp on the program besides recruiting nationally more which everyone does now.

If true this is awesome. No way to spin this as a positive development. Other alma mater plays Bucky next year, so here is to hoping this is accurate. Ball's decision
is now really puzzling. Only so many miles on the tread.

What has surprised me is that Badger fans look at some of these moves as promotions. There are two Chryst and Bolstad. The others are moves to teams that right now are inferior and play in conferences that are inferior. BB has also had defensive assistant leave, I know Kerry Cooks will be in his second year at ND next year. Hopefully a great time to be a Gopher fan.

The fact that a quarter of the posts on this thread are Budgie fans reflects the paranoia. Go home, post on your own board.

Haha, fair enough.

For what it is worth, I wish our coach had the amicability and likability of coach Kill, but he doesn't. He's not a great in game coach either, by any stretch. However, his players love him, he runs a clean program, and he knows how to promote the university and athletics program. He has improved our recruiting significantly and has consistently surrounded himself with a competent supporting staff that makes him look better than he is. Wisconsin is not in the position to bring in a top-tier, proven, head coach, so far the forseeable future, as long as he continues to do what he has been doing, I am happy to have him as our coach.

With Rudolph leaving, this will be a real test for BB as a head coach. As badger2010 says, most Badger fans are pleased with Bielema, something which was not the case two years ago. He has grown in the job. If he gets the 2012 team to 9-3, something I consider a real stretch, he will prove himself to be a very good head coach. It will be very interesting to see who he brings in to coach. As stated previously, the QB coach is critical because of UW's QB situation - a true freshman, a couple of underclassmen, and injury-prone upperclassmen. That being said, if the O-line holds up, Montee can run a lot next year.

“@PPRPapaPig: My peeps in Madison say sdsu offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig is headed to Bucky land. Ludwig to replace Paul chryst.”

“@PPRPapaPig: My peeps in Madison say sdsu offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig is headed to Bucky land. Ludwig to replace Paul chryst.”

They must have cooled on Hammock as the OC...

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011712aad.html

Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema took another step towards completing his coaching staff by naming Matt Canada as the Badgers' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Tuesday. Canada spent last season in the same role at Northern Illinois, helping the Huskies to an 11-3 record, a MAC championship and a victory in the GoDaddy.com Bowl.

So the guy who was coordinating Indiana's potent offense from 2007-2010 is the dream hire Enema had in mind all along to replace one of the most successful offensive coordinators in the nation?

Yeah, good luck selling anyone that bill of goods, Burnt.

Top Bottom