Wisconsin is pausing all football-related activities. Saturday’s game at Nebraska will not be played

Those of you who know this process better than me, what does this mean for next week? If they can't play this week, is there any chance they can have enough players for next week with a 21 day quarantine?

Those of you who know this process better than me, what does this mean for next week? If they can't play this week, is there any chance they can have enough players for next week with a 21 day quarantine?
Depends on who is out and why.

I don't think we know that 100% yet.

I think it's set up such that if the outbreak stops you can play if you have enough players based on the other limits, but idk how it works

I think it's set up such that if the outbreak stops you can play if you have enough players based on the other limits, but idk how it works

That would make sense if they can show everyone has been contained and they still have enough people on a roster to play.

In other news, the clowns down south are celebrating:

It could be that they might've technically been able to play this week, but they did not want to risk getting more guys sick.

You take two weeks off, isolate, then you come back for that 3rd game with hopefully the virus having had its 14 days to die off.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ball-game-vs-nebraska-outbreak-covid-19-cases

Wisconsin's football team has paused all team-related activities for at least seven days because of an increased number of COVID-19 cases, causing the No. 9 Badgers' game against Nebraska on Saturday to be canceled.

The game will not be rescheduled.

As of Wednesday morning, 12 people within the program had tested positive for the coronavirus in the past five days. That total includes six student-athletes and six staff members, including head coach Paul Chryst.

"This morning I received the news that I had tested positive via a PCR test I took yesterday," Chryst said in a statement released by the university on Wednesday. "I informed my staff and the team this morning and am currently isolating at home. I had not been experiencing any symptoms and feel good as of this morning.

"I am disappointed for our players and coaching staff who put so much into preparing to play each week. But the safety of everyone in our program has to be our top priority and I support the decision made to pause our team activities."

The university said the decision to pause team activities was made jointly by athletics director Barry Alvarez and chancellor Rebecca Blank.

They do not mention that the game will be treated as a forfeit loss for Wisconsin and win for Nebraska. That would have been mentioned, I would think.

I assume cancelled games simply don't go on the W-L record.

They do not mention that the game will be treated as a forfeit loss for Wisconsin and win for Nebraska. That would have been mentioned, I would think.

Correct, It'll be a no-contest. There will be unbalanced schedules and the B1G has already come out with tiebreakers in these cases.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ball-game-vs-nebraska-outbreak-covid-19-cases

Wisconsin's football team has paused all team-related activities for at least seven days because of an increased number of COVID-19 cases, causing the No. 9 Badgers' game against Nebraska on Saturday to be canceled.

The game will not be rescheduled.

As of Wednesday morning, 12 people within the program had tested positive for the coronavirus in the past five days. That total includes six student-athletes and six staff members, including head coach Paul Chryst.

"This morning I received the news that I had tested positive via a PCR test I took yesterday," Chryst said in a statement released by the university on Wednesday. "I informed my staff and the team this morning and am currently isolating at home. I had not been experiencing any symptoms and feel good as of this morning.

"I am disappointed for our players and coaching staff who put so much into preparing to play each week. But the safety of everyone in our program has to be our top priority and I support the decision made to pause our team activities."

The university said the decision to pause team activities was made jointly by athletics director Barry Alvarez and chancellor Rebecca Blank.

During the Gopher game, they said any game not played due to Covid ends as "no contest" and will not be rescheduled. Teams need to play 6 games to be eligible for the title game.

I don't see why this shouldn't just be a forfeit for Wisconsin? Nebraska shouldn't be punished in this situation.

They are a no-contest.
It's like the game was never scheduled.

The reason why they handle it this way is this prevents any additional motivation for teams to "cover up" COVID issues.
There should be no incentive to covering up and non-reporting of COVID as Universities.
Thus no forfeit or game lost.

During the Gopher game, they said any game not played due to Covid ends as "no contest" and will not be rescheduled. Teams need to play 6 games to be eligible for the title game.

With the 21 day lockout period however, they would almost be guarranteed 3 cancellations unless they had some COVID cases expiring over the next week or two which sounds unlikely the way this spread quickly (it appears).

This part is huge. The conference schedule could end up being a war of attrition.

The reason why they handle it this way is this prevents any additional motivation for teams to "cover up" COVID issues.
There should be no incentive to covering up and non-reporting of COVID as Universities.
Thus no forfeit or game lost.
That's a good explanation, thanks. Just sucks to be in Nebraska's shoes.

UW is pausing football activities for at least seven days as well, indicating the team has surpassed the thresholds set by the Big Ten Conference to practice or play game. UW said in a statement that 12 people within the program have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past five days.

Those 12 people include six coaches and six players. Coach Paul Chryst is one of those 12, and additional test results are pending.

“This morning I received the news that I had tested positive via a PCR test I took yesterday,” Chryst said in a UW statement. “I informed my staff and the team this morning and am currently isolating at home. I had not been experiencing any symptoms and feel good as of this morning.

“I am disappointed for our players and coaching staff who put so much into preparing to play each week. But the safety of everyone in our program has to be our top priority and I support the decision made to pause our team activities.”

Big Ten protocols state Chryst must isolate for 10 days before returning to in-person coaching..

This part is huge. The conference schedule could end up being a war of attrition.
This is going to work out perfectly for uw. 6-0 and off to the title game. They had like 42 players get it this summer. A bunch more now. Probably won't have another spike big enough.

Consider this outcome...if we find a D

6-2 Minnesota (loss to MI and WI)
5-2 Wisconsin (loss to ? and ?)

Minnesota wins the West even though same # of losses and a H2H loss to Wisconsin.

This scenario could cut both ways and work against Minnesota as well.

Minnesota wins the West even though same # of losses and a H2H loss to Wisconsin.

I thought with unbalanced schedules, the H2H decides the tiebreaker with same number of losses?

The articles states 6 players and 6 non-players.

I think we are assuming here, would be good to know for sure, that non-players do not need to sit out for 21 days.

So I guess it comes down to this for me:
- if 6 sit-outs would have allowed them technically to still play the game ... what is the criteria that allows a program to "shut down" and decide the game is a no contest cancellation?
- if 6 sit-outs was enough to trigger the no contest cancellation, then it would seem there is possibly no way to avoid that same fate for the next two games?

In other words, trying to figure out if there is any possible way they can still play six games before the cross-over week.

Wisconsin would win in this scenario. First tiebreaker is head to head if the teams have the same number of losses.

Top Bottom