Wisconsin is pausing all football-related activities. Saturday’s game at Nebraska will not be played

I thought with unbalanced schedules, the H2H decides the tiebreaker with same number of losses?
Wouldn't it make sense to just do what MLB did? If there are different numbers of games played, just do it based on win %? If you're basing it on number of losses, then you have an incentive to have fewer games played.

Wouldn't it make sense to just do what MLB did? If there are different numbers of games played, just do it based on win %? If you're basing it on number of losses, then you have an incentive to have fewer games played.
I feel like the sample rate at MLB is so much higher that win % makes more sense than the low sample rate of CFB.

I know all the guessing and speculating is fun but if we sit tight for a day or so I am sure they will clear up what this means for each team and how it potentially affects the Big Ten West race. Obviously the biggest key will be the number of games that Wisconsin has to miss. If it is just one the impact will be minimal but if it is multiple weeks they could be excluded from the race entirely.

At this point all we know for sure is that they won't play this weekend and that they will be missing both Mertz and Wolf for a minimum of 21 days.

During the Gopher game, they said any game not played due to Covid ends as "no contest" and will not be rescheduled. Teams need to play 6 games to be eligible for the title game.

Well there's a positive about the Michigan game... we got a game in.

If we play Maryland... we're +1 on qualifying on Neb and Wsic!

this is going to be interesting (in the sense that an absolute shit show is interesting) to watch how this plays out over the season across the country as COVID cases go up.

Meanwhile, in the SEC...

Sick Coughing GIF by Crossroads of History

Well there's a positive about the Michigan game... we got a game in.

If we play Maryland... we're +1 on qualifying on Neb and Wsic!
The sad thing is that in retrospect we would have been better off not playing and scrounging up a few more positive cases.

OK - here's the B1G policy for teams:

The Big Ten Conference will use data provided by each Chief Infection Officer (CInO) to make decisions about the continuation of practice and competition, as determined by Test Positivity Rate and Population Positivity Rate, based on a seven-day rolling average:
  • Test positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered):
    • Green 0-2%
    • Orange 2-5%
    • Red >5%
  • Population positivity rate (number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk):
    • Green 0-3.5%
    • Orange 3.5-7.5%
    • Red >7.5%
Decisions to alter or halt practice and competition will be based on the following scenarios:
  • Green/Green and Green/Orange: Team continues with normal practice and competition.
  • Orange/Orange and Orange/Red: Team must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19 prevention (alter practice and meeting schedule, consider viability of continuing with scheduled competition).
  • Red/Red: Team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and reassess metrics until improved.
So, in order to resume team activities, Wisconsin has to get their rates down to the "orange" level.
On the surface, this policy does not appear to draw a distinction between coaches and players - it goes by # of positive tests weighed against the # of people tested and the total # of people involved.

the 21-day policy for players is a separate issue. The earliest a student-athlete can return to game competition is 21 days following a COVID-19 positive diagnosis.

So, if Mertz tested positive on the 24th, he is out till Nov 14th at the earliest.

The sad thing is that in retrospect we would have been better off not playing and scrounging up a few more positive cases.

That depends on the later games ... how many games we get in...

We might need that game to qualify.

Not to worry. We've already rounded the curve and you'll never hear of it after Election Day.
Round the curve in circles and more circles until we finally decide to handle it properly.

Not that Nebraska will have to worry about missing the B1G Championship game, but I feel like if for some reason you play less than 6 games, but none of the no-contests are your fault, you shouldn't be punished. I know that would make for some complicated tie breakers.

Wisconsin says it is "Pausing team related activities" but what exactly does that mean and what is allowed. The badgerts next scheduled game is against purdu e No v 7. Can individual position groups still practice , lift, study film, etc as preparation for purdue, or is everyone forced into a period of isolation and idleness.

His first positive test was Saturday
SON's language says following a positive COVID-19 diagnosis. I read that as the positive PCR confirmation.

Regardless, he wouldn't be able to do any team activities until the day of the game itself. That seems unlikely and unreasonable to expect he could just show up and do well for the Michigan game.

I think for Wisc, you "no contest" this week and Purdue, and then you play the Michigan game no matter what, assuming it will be a loss. Then you try to win the rest, going 5-1 before the cross-over week. That's their best case scenario.

Wisconsin says it is "Pausing team related activities" but what exactly does that mean and what is allowed. The badgerts next scheduled game is against purdu e No v 7. Can individual position groups still practice , lift, study film, etc as preparation for purdue, or is everyone forced into a period of isolation and idleness.
I assume they'd be able to resume whatever "individual" activities were allowed during the summer, before team activities were approved and started.

SON's language says following a positive COVID-19 diagnosis. I read that as the positive PCR confirmation.

Regardless, he wouldn't be able to do any team activities until the day of the game itself. That seems unlikely and unreasonable to expect he could just show up and do well for the Michigan game.

I think for Wisc, you "no contest" this week and Purdue, and then you play the Michigan game no matter what, assuming it will be a loss. Then you try to win the rest, going 5-1 before the cross-over week. That's their best case scenario.
Not necessarily true. The rules only says the earliest they can resume game competition is 21 days,not that they cannot participate in practices or other team activities. We saw this last week, 2 players who were out due to the 21 day limit were suited up, warmed up, and were on the sidelines. If a player has had multiple confirmed negatives, there is nothing preventing them from resuming participation in practice.

Thank you all for your insight. I'm sorry to be dense but I don't trust them - is the game cancelled under the rules of the B1G, or did Wisconsin choose to cancel? If they could have still played but chose not to (being responsible and all - nothing to do with being down a coach and to their 4th qb), then shouldn't that be a forfeit? Thanks for the info above, SON.

Thank you all for your insight. I'm sorry to be dense but I don't trust them - is the game cancelled under the rules of the B1G, or did Wisconsin choose to cancel? If they could have still played but chose not to (being responsible and all - nothing to do with being down a coach and to their 4th qb), then shouldn't that be a forfeit? Thanks for the info above, SON.

What does 'choose to cancel' mean?

I mean they looked at their depleted team and decided it was in their best interest (from a competition, standings standpoint) to not play. Could they have played under the B1G guidelines? I'm assuming not - but I wouldn't doubt a team trying to scam the system either.

Of course they didn't "choose" this or the Gophers could have chosen to not play UM

For what it's worth, UW is in the orange/red. It was their choice to not play, in consultation with the school president. Reading the B1G language regarding orange/red, you can interpret that the way you want to, but I read it as "erring on the side of caution is advised". If the game had been scheduled for Madison, maybe - maybe - they might've chosen to play because it's easier to take the regular precautions if you're not having to travel.

I mean they looked at their depleted team and decided it was in their best interest (from a competition, standings standpoint) to not play. Could they have played under the B1G guidelines? I'm assuming not - but I wouldn't doubt a team trying to scam the system either.

Those words not sense.

Like if you can't play under the guidlines... that's just how it is, not 'choose'.

There was no rational reason to think he BIG would be immune to the pandemic.
At the time the BIG decided to play the midwest was relatively safe.
Now it is not, particularly WI.
But for a chuckle read the NE blogs.
It is unanimous that the WI players became infected on purpose because they knew they were going to lose.
The NE fans hate the BIG.
And masks are a plot to make us compliant sheep.

There was no rational reason to think he BIG would be immune to the pandemic.
At the time the BIG decided to play the midwest was relatively safe.
Now it is not, particularly WI.
But for a chuckle read the NE blogs.
It is unanimous that the WI players became infected on purpose because they knew they were going to lose.
The NE fans hate the BIG.
And masks are a plot to make us compliant sheep.
Yeah I have been lurking there to see the carnage and I will offer a suggestion: HuskerOnline needs a spell check/grammar check option on that board.

Is 5-1 WI better than 5-3 WI ??? Pretty good reason to not play.

Top Bottom