Wisconsin gains a four-star

We're not here to discuss what might be a Badger gain only there losses

Is there a reason we didn't offer this kid? Because we filled up, or the coaches didn't like something?

Are we gonna start posting about Wisconsin recruits? That might be sadder than the basketball board talking about 7th graders.

Is there a reason we didn't offer this kid? Because we filled up, or the coaches didn't like something?

I guess they just chose Olson over him. With four guys committed, Kasl then elected to attend Wisconsin's camp instead of Minnesota's.

Kasl a 4 star? Say what? He's not even one of the top 10 prospects in the state and not even offered by the gophers. 247 losing a lot of credibility...did some Wiscy writer influence this?

This title should read, Tyler Johnson, wisconsin offers, but he picks the Golden Gophers.

I guess they just chose Olson over him. With four guys committed, Kasl then elected to attend Wisconsin's camp instead of Minnesota's.

Olson had offers from Princeton and Harvard. Jerry just wanting to keep raising the overall GPA. We have 5 OL committed including a JC player.

Go Gophers

a four star that is listed as a project?

that seems a little funky. smells like a boost in rating because they want to boost Beckys class ranking

that seems a little funky. smells like a boost in rating because they want to boost Beckys class ranking

Drew Hmielewski is also a four-star on 247.

Kasl a 4 star? Say what? He's not even one of the top 10 prospects in the state and not even offered by the gophers. 247 losing a lot of credibility...did some Wiscy writer influence this?

Wait, a star rating not being spot on? But they are all that matters, right?

I don't know about that. His size coupled with those workout numbers is pretty darn impressive. One could easily project him as an NFL prospect in a few years, based on raw numbers. No idea what the kids mental aptitude is.

Sounds to me like Bucky might have pulled a Jerry Kill here and plucked an under the radar kid with huge athletic upside from another state, leaving the homers wondering what happened (Brooks looks to be one of those). Surely, I'm not going to say Kill was right on this one until it plays out. Could be a huge loss, or it could be genius. It'll be fun to track this one.

Olson had offers from Princeton and Harvard. Jerry just wanting to keep raising the overall GPA. We have 5 OL committed including a JC player.

Go Gophers

Kasl has a 4.0 GPA and scored a 33 on the ACT.

I don't know about that. His size couple with those workout numbers is pretty darn impressive. One could easily project him as an NFL prospect in a few years, based on raw numbers. No idea what the kids mental aptitude is.

Sounds to me like Bucky might have pulled a Jerry Kill here and plucked an under the radar kid with huge athletic upside from another state, leaving the homers wondering what happened (Brooks looks to be one of those). Surely, I'm not going to say Kill was right on this one until it plays out. Could be a huge loss, or it could be genius. It'll be fun to track this one.

Kasl camped at Minnesota his junior year and Olson at the time looked better. If we miss on Kasl, it won't be because he flew under the radar. We certainly knew about him. I do think Kasl might have now surpassed Olson and wouldn't be surprise if the coaches regret taking Olson over him. Really just unfortunate that he never camped here his senior year. Always felt like there was an outside chance of an offer despite already having 4 O-lineman already committed. Calhoun will have a much greater impact next year than any of them though.

Well, if it makes you all feel better, running back Antonio Williams decommitted from the badgers yesterday to go visit ohio state. The kid was the first 2016 commit and the biggest badger cheerleader in the class.

I've heard really good things about Kasl from some MN high school coaches that coached against him. His senior film is pretty impressive.

I don't get too excited about any prospect until they sign their LOI.

I don't know about that. His size coupled with those workout numbers is pretty darn impressive. One could easily project him as an NFL prospect in a few years, based on raw numbers. No idea what the kids mental aptitude is.

I've seen him in person competing in track, and have seen alot of the top linemen in the state the past few years also.
He's a big bodied MN kid. Less agile and explosive than some others I've seen(Bjorkland, Stelter, Ragnow, Connelly)
I think he probably projects to a RT type role which maybe is why they took Olson over him(G v T). Athletically he's a bit stiff, but powerful.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a great player, but I don't see him as a can't miss guy.

Kasl camped at Minnesota his junior year and Olson at the time looked better. If we miss on Kasl, it won't be because he flew under the radar.

Thanks for giving me the definition of under the radar (coach saw him, didn't see enough to offer, later blows up) while arguing that he's not under the radar. i have no idea what you are saying.

Thanks for giving me the definition on of under the radar (coach saw him, didn't see enough to offer, later blows up) while arguing that he's not under the radar. Or, is it that you're unsure as to what under the radar means?

Seems like you don't understand the definition. How is someone under the radar if the coach saw him and appraised his abilities? Under the radar would mean that the coach didn't know about him and/or didn't evaluate him, you twit.

Bulldog LOVES the badgers - he's actually hoping this unwanted recruit turns into a star....at least that's what I can tell from his posts in this thread.

Go Gophers

I don't think that the GPA theory holds water, Kasl had a 4.0 GPA and offers from Yale and Holy Cross. I think Plinnius is closer to what actually happened. From what I read, Kasl was planning to go to the Gopher camp, but the Badger camp was first and he got an offer at the Badger camp. After Olson committed, the Gophers stopped contacting Kasl. So, I think that with the Badger offer and no interest from the Gophers, he decided not to go to the Gopher camp. Later he committed to the Badgers. I think that is what happened.

Then why do we all consider Shannon Brooks, etc. to be "under the radar," because SEC coaches passed? Do you realize how many players are looked at by coaches? So, nobody in D1 is under the radar following your logic.

Name calling, you're an impressive man. I would most certainly call a player under the radar if he camped, didn't get interest, didnt draw attention, then a year later elevates himself to a 4 star after the evaluation process. I'm not talking about him literally flying a plane under real radar. His talent went under the radar of our evaluators, but not Bucky, is what I'm saying. Do you need a picture?

And, again, you're just totally wrong in your correction, like I have seen before. Why is it you don't comment unless it's to correct or insult somebody? Things going well in your life, buddy? How'd your divorce work out (just an assumption)? Ever consider taking up cordless bungee jumping?

You're blocked. Don't bother.

In what world is that the definition of under the radar?

Yes, there are actually a lot of players that coaches have absolutely no clue about. The coaches didn't know who Drew Hmielewski was until late spring/early summer. They had never even heard of Ben Lauer until midway through his senior season, they didn't know who Winston Dellatiboudere or Rashad Still was until well after their senior seasons etc. With the exception of maybe Utep, not even Texas schools knew who Rashad Still was. Brian Anderson was extremely fortunate to stumble upon Melvin Holland's email of his hudl highlights that were sent out to him after his senior year. Need more examples?

How somebody could argue that a prospect has flown under a coach's radar when that particular coach has seen him LIVE is completely asinine and beyond me. That's called a poor evaluation, not flying under the radar.

That's pretty scary that Minnesota is letting Kasl go unoffered, his HUDL film is very impressive, the guy has a motor that just won't stop and he pancakes almost everyone unlucky enough to be lined up against him. I was a little concerned that he might draw a flag on some of those plays as he was throwing guys to the ground well after the ball was downed. And to top it all off he has a 4.0 GPA and scored a 33 on the ACT.... wonder how he feels about play'n for the scarlet and cream? :cool:

Top Bottom