Wisconsin 4-star WR transfer Markus Allen visiting Gophers

M Allen could not make the two-deep at WR and the WI offense has no seniors so he saw the writing on the wall.
Because of the HC change, he does not have to wait for the portal doors to open to change teams.
That’s what worries me here.

Big guy not really showing up in games, not getting separation maybe.

We GOT those guys…

But if PJ and co want to try him out fine by me.

Can this guy catch a pass? If he can, he’s got a leg up on our current stable of fumbling and bumbling receivers. Sorry I’m being so negative, but CAB was really our only legitimate BIG10 receiver. That was a HUGE loss. Puzzling to me how Fleck hasn’t been able to recruit better in this area. Oh yeah, we don’t throw the ball in this offense (don’t need to with Ibrahim most games). I forgot about that small detail. Next year will be different.

I would think Allen would love the opportunity to play against his old team.

Can this guy catch a pass? If he can, he’s got a leg up on our current stable of fumbling and bumbling receivers. Sorry I’m being so negative, but CAB was really our only legitimate BIG10 receiver. That was a HUGE loss. Puzzling to me how Fleck hasn’t been able to recruit better in this area. Oh yeah, we don’t throw the ball in this offense (don’t need to with Ibrahim most games). I forgot about that small detail. Next year will be different.

Jackson can play as well

Next year won't be much different unless we get a couple guys from the portal. Some of our young receivers were recruited on the strength of the 2019 passing attack. Recruiting at WR is downhill from there.

Good point. He has been pretty consistent, and he’s good for yards-after-catch. Tough, though, that our only consistent receiver is 5’8” tall.
He's more of a possession guy - we need a burner who can grab them - no more Troy Williamsons

Next year could be CrAB, Jackson, and maybe a guy from the portal? If we can find a decent receiver #3 that would be a decent group of receivers.

It always has shocked me how we struggle on WRs considering that is our head coaches specialty...

Next year could be CrAB, Jackson, and maybe a guy from the portal? If we can find a decent receiver #3 that would be a decent group of receivers.
Way too early to give up on guys like Brockington, White, and Dino K to name a few. All 3 are young and could still take a big step forward.

What we are truly lacking at the moment is that "go to guy". Hopefully next year we have CRAB for that role or maybe Jackson becomes that guy. If we can find a #1 the other guys could be good compliments.

It’s his specialty?

We’ve had some good WRs.
He has been a WR his whole life and in the NFL, was a college and NFL WR coach...

Outside of Bateman and potentially CrAB we haven't seen as much WR talent out of here in his tenure. I mean look at this year, even PJ said the group is just struggling with their fundamentals. I'm not saying they've been a failure but it is definitely the weakness of our offense.

He has been a WR his whole life and in the NFL, was a college and NFL WR coach...

Outside of Bateman and potentially CrAB we haven't seen as much WR talent out of here in his tenure. I mean look at this year, even PJ said the group is just struggling with their fundamentals. I'm not saying they've been a failure but it is definitely the weakness of our offense.
Not arguing for or against, but many also give him credit for Corey Davis while at WMU as well as helping TJ take the next step

Do agree it would be nice to see a few more splash type guys that are at least flashing talent by now

Chris Autman-Bell is a very solid receiver. And Daniel Jackson's development has been slowed by injuries but he has shown some flashes of being very good.

The WR group minus CRAB has been disappointing but the fact that CRAB is out needs to be factored in when looking at the quality of the position overall.

If your standard for the kind of receiver talent we should expect to see here is Bateman you are going to be disappointed most of the time. Those guys don't come around very often.

I am also a firm believer that TJ would not have developed into the receiver that he did if Fleck and Simon were not here.

There is no denying the WR group without CRAB has been a massive disappointment this season. But I think there is still hope for the future and it is too early to know how guys like Brockington, DK, and White are going to develop.

He has been a WR "his whole life" ... except for the parts he wasn’t a receiver?

We haven’t seen much out of our receivers if you ignore the guys who did well?

That makes no sense ...

Chris Autman-Bell is a very solid receiver. And Daniel Jackson's development has been slowed by injuries but he has shown some flashes of being very good.

The WR group minus CRAB has been disappointing but the fact that CRAB is out needs to be factored in when looking at the quality of the position overall.

If your standard for the kind of receiver talent we should expect to see here is Bateman you are going to be disappointed most of the time. Those guys don't come around very often.

I am also a firm believer that TJ would not have developed into the receiver that he did if Fleck and Simon were not here.

There is no denying the WR group without CRAB has been a massive disappointment this season. But I think there is still hope for the future and it is too early to know how guys like Brockington, DK, and White are going to develop.
TJ and Bateman were also leaders. CAB is a leader as well, but I think not being on the field with this group has hurt them.

If the kid from Alexandria isn’t at a minimum a poor man’s Spielman (same build, allegedly same speed) then next years’ receiver bunch will continue to disappoint. None of the guys we roll out there right now are on the two deeps for many power five teams. I’m a huge fan of 88 but certainly can’t ignore his drops. The Geers kid is supposed to be a hell of a receiver a little surprised we haven’t seen more of him in our two tight ends set even if we give up some blocking prowess. Penn State and Iowa have made hay through the years with multiple receiving tight ends.

It always has shocked me how we struggle on WRs considering that is our head coaches specialty...
The last couple years have been so-so at the position but let's not forget we've also had the best WR corps in program history under Fleck (2019) and have produced a first round WR his staff recruited.

How is WRs PJ’s speciality?
His entire background/career has been focused on WRs, if anyone should be able to recruit and develop talent at the position its him.

Its not that complicated, we have simply not been able to recruit at that position. I understand that it partially is because of our play style leans into the run, but our WR fundamental's have been brutal this year and at the end of the day it falls on the head coach, even PJ has said that.

TYREEK HOSKINS - Unleash the beast. He will be good, but we really do need to add another star or 2 at W/R

Last edited:

I would say it is pretty much fact that PJ's specialty is developing wide receivers with Simon.
And that is why it so confounding we barely have any candidates to even say wait until next year about. Head shaker...dunno

Top Bottom